Page 31 of 156 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 41 81 131 ... LastLast

Thread: Random General Headlines

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Difference being that drones can fly over and survey ANY property, including your private property. Governments don't usually set up CCTV in your backyard. There aren't helicopters regularly buzzing around everywhere- we don't know how many drones are being used because they're fucking drones. So yes it is a big deal that this is happening.
    hah, so you think helicopters are just some super obvious contraption that everyone will notice if it happens to be taking pictures of your backyard? You are very naive. Have you watched the discovery channel in oh... the last decade? Incredibly close up HD images of animals with insane hearing and a huge fear for scary shit in the sky. You ever wonder how they get that video? Well, here is an NYPD helicopter that will "recognize a face from two miles away, peer inside a building from three to four miles away, and track a suspect car from 12 miles away." http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/200...pd-helicopter/
    but but... drones!

conclusion: fuck the hypocritical Feinstein

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    hah, so you think helicopters are just some super obvious contraption that everyone will notice if it happens to be taking pictures of your backyard? You are very naive. Have you watched the discovery channel in oh... the last decade? Incredibly close up HD images of animals with insane hearing and a huge fear for scary shit in the sky. You ever wonder how they get that video? Well, here is an NYPD helicopter that will "recognize a face from two miles away, peer inside a building from three to four miles away, and track a suspect car from 12 miles away." http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/200...pd-helicopter/
    but but... drones!

conclusion: fuck the hypocritical Feinstein
    No, I did not say we would notice if they're taking pictures, I am saying that it's obvious WHEN a helicopter is above you... way to put words into my mouth. I don't now about where you live, but everywhere I've lived in the US, main cities, do not have large amounts of helicopters regularly flying around. You can't say that about drones, so we have no idea how many are flying around up there.
    Last edited by Tea; 06-24-2013 at 09:36 PM.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    I live in Philadelphia, and I can't remember a single day going by that I haven't seen a police chopper in the sky, let alone the news copters.

Edit: 11:45pm and I just heard one buzz over the house. Seriously, every single day.

And when I lived in small-town PA (Shrewsbury, to be precise) planes from the nearby Air Force base routinely flew over our house. I took a road trip around the country last year and was pretty impressed with the frequency with which I saw military aircraft around the country, whether it was the Apache gunships in south Florida or the F-16s in I forget where. In Shrewsbury, it was mostly A-10s and C-130s.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Random General Headlines

My husband has been an air traffic controller, working high altitude radar, for nearly 32 years; he says there are F-16s up there doing flight maneuvers all the time, often right near commercial jets.

Anyway those helicopters are cool.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-25-2013 at 03:28 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    I live in Philadelphia, and I can't remember a single day going by that I haven't seen a police chopper in the sky, let alone the news copters.

Edit: 11:45pm and I just heard one buzz over the house. Seriously, every single day.

And when I lived in small-town PA (Shrewsbury, to be precise) planes from the nearby Air Force base routinely flew over our house. I took a road trip around the country last year and was pretty impressed with the frequency with which I saw military aircraft around the country, whether it was the Apache gunships in south Florida or the F-16s in I forget where. In Shrewsbury, it was mostly A-10s and C-130s.
    Maybe Miami, Dallas, and Salt Lake City just don't have as many! In SLC though there are constant military flights as well, right next to downtown, and you can definitely tell by the sound of the plane... with the ones you can hear.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Maybe Miami, Dallas, and Salt Lake City just don't have as many! In SLC though there are constant military flights as well, right next to downtown, and you can definitely tell by the sound of the plane... with the ones you can hear.
    As of two years ago, Dallas has two police helicopters. "The Dallas helicopter unit flies an average of 2,000 to 2,200 hours each year. Last year, helicopters responded to about 5,200 calls." Oh, it has helicopter stats:
    "The move would leave Dallas with one of the smallest police helicopter fleets among the nation’s largest cities. Los Angeles has 19; Houston, 13; Phoenix, seven; San Antonio, five; and San Diego, four. Fort Worth, Atlanta and Philadelphia each have two."

Miami-Dade police has at least four helicopters. You don't buy four helicopters unless you're using the crap out of them.

Finding SLC Police heli info isn't as easy, but they have at least one owned by the Department of Public Safety.

Here's an article from 1994 about plans to patrol Philadelphia by helicopter 24 hours a day. I don't think that is actually what they do, but I think it's pretty safe to say that helicopters patrol American cities frequently. Are there 'large amounts' of helicopters'? Certainly in LA and Houston that's the case. The rest may be debatable.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Random General Headlines

Hey, now would be a good time to mention the growing militarization of police forces in this country.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Texas Senator Wendy Davis Fights Abortion Bill with 13-Hour Filibuster.

Livestream:

I would love a plain English explanation of what's going on right now.
    Last edited by Baphomette; 06-25-2013 at 10:22 PM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Brutal home invasion in NJ caught on camera, unfolds infront of the woman's 3 year old daughter.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Random General Headlines

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Baphomette View Post
    SO proud of her and all the supporters in the gallery who loudly let their elected officials (and the world) know that women will not tolerate this shit.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Random General Headlines

But Texas has no problem killing people.

http://huff.to/1ag5TQl

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Ohio City Bans Fireworks, Drinks, Grills, and Enacts Mandatory Bag Searches for July 4th

http://www.storyleak.com/ohio-city-bans-fireworks-drinks-grills-and-enacts-mandatory-bag-searches-for-july-4th/

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    Ohio City Bans Fireworks, Drinks, Grills, and Enacts Mandatory Bag Searches for July 4th

http://www.storyleak.com/ohio-city-bans-fireworks-drinks-grills-and-enacts-mandatory-bag-searches-for-july-4th/
    These ordinances are for Lakewood Park, not all of Lakewood. This article makes it a lot worse than what it actually is. 3/4 of those are rules 365 days a year in parks around the country (at least ones I've been to).

I'll be going to a show tonight at Glen Oak Park and will more than likely be searched... for about the 10th year in a row. This really is not all that shocking, StoryLeak.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    How about this then?

"Green party politician Malte Spitz sued to have German telecoms giant Deutsche Telekom hand over six months of his phone data that he then made available to ZEIT ONLINE. We combined this geolocation data with information relating to his life as a politician, such as Twitter feeds, blog entries and websites, all of which is all freely available on the internet.By pushing the play button, you will set off on a trip through Malte Spitz's life. The speed controller allows you to adjust how fast you travel, the pause button will let you stop at interesting points. In addition, a calendar at the bottom shows when he was in a particular location and can be used to jump to a specific time period. Each column corresponds to one day."

http://www.zeit.de/datenschutz/malte...ata-retention/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    two more HIV positive men appear to have been 'cured' of the illness. That makes 4 people worldwide 'cured' in total in the last few years. Be interesting to see what this radical surgery develops into.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/breakthr...703-2pbr0.html

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    It's like Constitutional infringement has become a fucking drinking game. 3rd Amendment = slam the whole bottle. This seems more like a 4th amendment violation but it will be interesting to see if they make traction using the 3rd defense.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    And this DUI checkpoint video from the 4th of july is all kinds of fucked up.

The last 90sec really say it all.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    South Korean Boeing 777 crashes at SFO. One dead.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer808 View Post
    South Korean Boeing 777 crashes at SFO. One dead.
    2 dead according to the what I've read and both were Chinese nationals (females).

Looks like it was pilot error from what I've seen, try to land a bit soon but we won't know the full details for a bit I suppose. Very sad though that many got injured and there were fatalities. Could have been a lot worst though that is for sure.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    How is this a real thing that happened?? I read it like 3 times thinking I must have accidentally clicked the onion or something.

Player stabbed, referee dismembered over soccer quarrel in Brazil

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rhet View Post
    How is this a real thing that happened?? I read it like 3 times thinking I must have accidentally clicked the onion or something.

Player stabbed, referee dismembered over soccer quarrel in Brazil
    South America takes its footie quite seriously. Actually, I'm guessing from the article, where it says "northern Brazil village", it isn't a major league game. In fact, I'm seeing a town feud taking to the pitch.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    Not as impressive as the lede on this story about it: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle13050578/

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)

Random General Headlines

Quote Originally Posted by Tums206_BFY View Post
    2 dead according to the what I've read and both were Chinese nationals (females).

Looks like it was pilot error from what I've seen, try to land a bit soon but we won't know the full details for a bit I suppose. Very sad though that many got injured and there were fatalities. Could have been a lot worst though that is for sure.
    Yup. 2 dead Chinese girls (late teens). Lots injured. Some injuries include paralysis. We were really close to SFO when it happened. It was crazy seeing a plane on fire at a major airport but no news coverage (even on twitter) for a good 20min. Most of the bay area knew something was up before the news was aware because a smoke signal was, literally, faster and more effective than everything else.

edit: here is video of the crash happening
    Last edited by DigitalChaos; 07-07-2013 at 06:16 PM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    Hey, now would be a good time to mention the growing militarization of police forces in this country.
    “Why did you shoot me? I was reading a book”: The new warrior cop is out of control
    SWAT teams raiding poker games and trying to stop underage drinking? Overwhelming paramilitary force is on the rise

The ACLU started a campaign to focus on this issue, earlier this year.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    Yup. 2 dead Chinese girls (late teens). Lots injured. Some injuries include paralysis. We were really close to SFO when it happened. It was crazy seeing a plane on fire at a major airport but no news coverage (even on twitter) for a good 20min. Most of the bay area knew something was up before the news was aware because a smoke signal was, literally, faster and more effective than everything else.

edit: here is video of the crash happening

So sad the girls that died were best friends as well, reports that one may have been killed after
    being run over by an emergency vehicle . Aircraft crashes always seem to happen when I am visiting family in the Carribbean . I have always had a fear of flying which seems to be getting worse, actually going to take diazepam for my return flights next week.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)