Page 26 of 156 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 36 76 126 ... LastLast

Thread: Random General Headlines

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    It's an act of political violence done to draw attention to perceived issues with British foreign policy, it's not weird to call it a terrorist attack at all. What is your definition of terrorism?

They are psychos rambling shit, but remind me which terrorists aren't?
    Ingrained in my head when thinking of terrorism is the thought of bombs/explosives, larger scale atrocities, with multiple fatalities. Like the type of thing that happens in Baghdad every other week.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    ah yeah, that's what's called a mass casualty attack. Actually I jumped in your face a bit there, the definition of terrorism is an ongoing debate. My definition is non state actors targeting civilians... Seeing as they killed a serviceman and not a civilian, is it actually terrorism?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Random General Headlines

Good question.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I would say it is as they wanted to provoke by doing the most heinous thing they could in daytime so many would see.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Scientists discover woman who can see 99 million more colors than anyone else.

She can see colors that the normal person can't even conceive. I wonder what movies look like to her...

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Kaitlyn Hunt, 18, faces two felony counts of "lewd and lascivious battery on a child 12 to 16" after the parents of her 15-year-old girlfriend pressed charges

Update: She was offered a plea deal. 2-year house arrest. Does not have to register as sex offender. Counts will be reduced to "child abuse". Defense wants it to be a misdemeanor.
    I would not take it and fight this to the end. That girl did nothing wrong. This is madness.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    Kaitlyn Hunt, 18, faces two felony counts of "lewd and lascivious battery on a child 12 to 16" after the parents of her 15-year-old girlfriend pressed charges

Update: She was offered a plea deal. 2-year house arrest. Does not have to register as sex offender. Counts will be reduced to "child abuse". Defense wants it to be a misdemeanor.
    I would not take it and fight this to the end. That girl did nothing wrong. This is madness.

An 18 year old having a physical relationship with a 15 year old is not wrong somehow ? explain that to me...?

is it more important to treat people who want to have sex with children on a case-by-case basis, or is it more important to draw a clear line in order to protect children.

she knew what the law was, she's an adult and she transgressed the law to have sex with an underage girl. Where is the injustice in her prosecution?

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    An 18 year old having a physical relationship with a 15 year old is not wrong somehow ? explain that to me...?

is it more important to treat people who want to have sex with children on a case-by-case basis, or is it more important to draw a clear line in order to protect children.

she knew what the law was, she's an adult and she transgressed the law to have sex with an underage girl. Where is the injustice in her prosecution?
    How many senior guys have dated freshman/sophomore? You think that's unheard of?
    Come on dude. They were attending same school, had drama class together, was consensual relationship. So if she was 17 years old and 360 days then it's perfectly fine but she's disgusting pedophile a week later? Let me laugh out loud at that logic.

How can someone be so ignorant not to see that the parents of the younger girl are conservatives stuck ups who are not accepting the fact that their daughter is a lesbian.

There is such a thing as freedom of choice at 15 years old. Don't tell me otherwise.
    You people are letting crazy people buy guns but want to jail this girl for 15 years? A perfectly fine teenage girl who probably has a bright future. Jail will teach her a lesson right?

Gee you let some dude shoot and kill a black guy and call it "stand your ground" but ohhh we must jail all those teenage lesbians who are dating fellow classmates.

I really hope she'll walk free. I really do.

Here's more

Last edited by Deepvoid; 05-26-2013 at 10:55 AM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    They began dating when the girl was 14 and Kaitlyn was 18. Should the law make exceptions because they were classmates? The law certainly doesn't make exceptions because the sex is consensual... that's what statutory rape is all about (Florida law just calls it sexual battery and a felony of the first degree) and it's how men are charged all the time for sleeping with young(er) girls.

I'm not saying I disagree with your general conclusion. I'm saying that it's not so cut and dried.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Pope misspoke. Atheists still going to hell! http://www.examiner.com/article/vati...-going-to-hell

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Look, there are a lot of issues with current statutory rape laws on the books but to not even acknowledge the bigotry behind the charges is ludicrous. The plantiff's parents have blamed her for "turning" their daughter gay and are trying to use to law to justify their homophobia.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    Look, there are a lot of issues with current statutory rape laws on the books but to not even acknowledge the bigotry behind the charges is ludicrous. The plantiff's parents have blamed her for "turning" their daughter gay and are trying to use to law to justify their homophobia.
    So if she was 17 years old and 360 days then it's perfectly fine but she's disgusting pedophile a week later? Let me laugh out loud at that logic.
    I think everyone is saying that it's the law, as a whole, that is stupid. The moment you start making this about "well, it's selective application of the law by conservative parents" you have lost the legal battle.

How many times do parents have an issue (rational or not) with the person their kid is dating? Seems pretty frequent to me. There have probably been many cases where this law was used to cut off a relationship by controlling parents. It's a stupid fucking law. Get rid of it!

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Also, this is why more people need to know what jury nullification is.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)

aaaand this video says what I said but way better. It's happened before with opposite sex couples for stupid shit like parents being racist. Romeo and Juliet law could keep her off the sex offender registry. etc etc

You also have to admit that this is getting so much national attention because it was a same sex relationship. If this was an opposite sex relationship of the same race where the parents just hated the older kid, it wouldn't get the national attention.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    The plantiff's parents have blamed her for "turning" their daughter gay and are trying to use to law to justify their homophobia.
    That storyline appears to be misinformation. This is a TV interview with the parents from a few days ago. (And the parents are not a party to any lawsuit. The state brings charges if a crime has been committed.)

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    They began dating when the girl was 14 and Kaitlyn was 18. Should the law make exceptions because they were classmates? The law certainly doesn't make exceptions because the sex is consensual... that's what statutory rape is all about (Florida law just calls it sexual battery and a felony of the first degree) and it's how men are charged all the time for sleeping with young(er) girls.

I'm not saying I disagree with your general conclusion. I'm saying that it's not so cut and dried.
    The classmate example is simply to put matters into context. They knew each other from school and this was not some sexual assault or anything of the likes.

The law in Florida says that you can have sex at 16 as long as the guy is 23 or younger.
    But 18 with a 15 is a no go?

Also, if they lived in Colorado,a 15 year old can have sex as long as there's a 3 year ago (not 1 day over) with the partner.

This trial will be interesting nonetheless. Won't they have to prove that harm was caused to the 15 year-old?
    Can the the 15-year testified as a character witness for the defense team or is there a minimum age to be subpoena?
    Last edited by Deepvoid; 05-26-2013 at 12:54 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    How many senior guys have dated freshman/sophomore? You think that's unheard of?
    Come on dude. They were attending same school, had drama class together, was consensual relationship. So if she was 17 years old and 360 days then it's perfectly fine but she's disgusting pedophile a week later? Let me laugh out loud at that logic.
    I'm not saying that at the stroke of midnight on the eve of a particular birthday everyone automatically becomes a mature adult, but judging it case by case would almost impossible and ultimately you have to decide whether its more important to protect children or protect people who believe they have a legitimate reason to have sex with someone who is underage. Let me laugh out aloud at your naive idealism and unrealistic estimation of available resources!

How can someone be so ignorant not to see that the parents of the younger girl are conservatives stuck ups who are not accepting the fact that their daughter is a lesbian.
    are you talking to me, or imaginary conservatives? It's obviously why her bigot parents are outraged, but quite aside from that, the law has been broken.

There is such a thing as freedom of choice at 15 years old. Don't tell me otherwise.
    You people are letting crazy people buy guns but want to jail this girl for 15 years? A perfectly fine teenage girl who probably has a bright future. Jail will teach her a lesson right?
    ok so you've definitely gone from addressing me to addressing people generallly. So do you think 15 year olds should have cars, guns, kids? Evidently you dont think they should have guns and you do think there should be limits setln what 15 year olds should be allowed to do.

as for the ADULT who had sex with that 15 year old, she has walked into nothing, she knew the law, she is not a victim. While her parents are undoubtedly bigoted i think it is unwise to spin her prosecution as an LGBT issue

Gee you let some dude shoot and kill a black guy and call it "stand your ground" but ohhh we must jail all those teenage lesbians who are dating fellow classmates.

I really hope she'll walk free. I really do.

Here's more

fellow classmates??? 3 years apart? Are you even thinking about what you are saying or just blurting out the first semi plausible soundbite that springs to mind

take a deep a breath!!!

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    They were playing on the same basketball team. Classmate-teammate, the point you failed to see is that the girl is not a sexual predator, which the law was meat to protect its citizen from.

This has nothing to do with being an adult either because the law in Florida states that a 16 year old can have sex with someone 23 or younger.
    I never meant to target you personally in my comments above and sorry if that came out that way.

I just think that this is a witch hunt and it's little bit disgusting that this girl's life is about pretty fucked for no valid in reason in book.

You talking about guns, cars and booze which are "goods", while the subject at hand is the feelings of consensual teenagers who see each other every day at school.
    Last edited by Deepvoid; 05-26-2013 at 01:24 PM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    The classmate example is simply to put matters into context. They knew each other from school and this was not some sexual assault or anything of the likes.

The law in Florida says that you can have sex at 16 as long as the guy is 23 or younger.
    But 18 with a 15 is a no go?

Also, if they lived in Colorado,a 15 year old can have sex as long as there's a 3 year ago (not 1 day over) with the partner.

This trial will be interesting nonetheless. Won't they have to prove that harm was caused to the 15 year-old?
    Can the the 15-year testified as a character witness for the defense team or is there a minimum age to be subpoena?
    Yeah, 16 with 23 seems way worse than 18 and 14 to me, too.

Prosecutors don't have to prove harm under the statutes... to the law, the harm is inherent in the act. And yes, the victim will have to testify. Not only because her testimony is necessary for the prosecution's case, but because the defendant has the constitutional right to confront her witnesses in court.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    How is it wrong?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Random General Headlines

Wrong or not, it's always been the law in most states, particularly for children under 16; this is nothing new. The victim doesn't always have to testify in court. Hell, s/he doesn't even have to file the charges; the victim's parents act on behalf of the minor. I don't understand why this has generated such an uproar in this thread. Not much other news, I guess (except that boring Syria stuff).
    Last edited by allegro; 05-27-2013 at 10:02 AM.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Wrong or not, it's always been the law in most states, particularly for children under 16; this is nothing new. The victim doesn't always have to testify in court. Hell, s/he doesn't even have to file the charges; the victim's parents act on behalf of the minor. I don't understand why this has generated such an uproar in this thread. Not much other news, I guess (except that boring Syria stuff).

So slam dunk case for the prosecutors...

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Because that's what minority rights has become. Its a national thing though, not just this thread. How about the many white kids who now have a record simply because their partner had manipulative/controlling parents? Where is their national outrage? Why didn't we care about shitty laws before they impacted a minority?

It's a bit frustrating to watch. The same group who is spun up about this are the same people who will quickly push for new laws on another topic... with little concern for unintended consequences. And the cycle repeats!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Random General Headlines

I think you're over-reacting.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    Because that's what minority rights has become.
    Really? We've had a lot of proposals in Belgium to change statutory rape laws because of how ridiculous the age lines are, and how completely arbitrary and unrealistic. It's a good debate. It means people have to think and talk about teens and sex, and how to deal with it. Because they're going to have sex, especially if it's illegal and forbidden.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)

Random General Headlines

Quote Originally Posted by Elke View Post
    Really? We've had a lot of proposals in Belgium to change statutory rape laws because of how ridiculous the age lines are, and how completely arbitrary and unrealistic. It's a good debate. It means people have to think and talk about teens and sex, and how to deal with it. Because they're going to have sex, especially if it's illegal and forbidden.
    Go Belgium! (Seriously)
    It took a lesbian being persecuted for the national conversation to even start in the USA. Unfortunately, it seems the bulk of the focus is on her being persecuted for being gay and not "why do we have such a horribly flawed law that impacts everyone?"
    I'm willing to bet this whole thing is forgotten by the time her case is over. There will be no change in law. If there is, it will be minor and only in the state that this is happening.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    The Toronto mayor Gawker crack coccaine video fund just went over 200k

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ro...starter?c=home
    Last edited by mfte; 05-27-2013 at 02:59 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    It took a lesbian being persecuted for the national conversation to even start in the USA.
    Because most people still think of sex in terms of vaginal intercourse (and when it comes to how the law defines it, that's one of the major issues with the Belgian law). They don't consider anything else sex - and these two girls can't have done that. Which turns the question to: why to we object to teens having sex? Is it because we want them to be ready for a meaningful, intimate encounter? Because we want to spare them the awkwardness and sometimes even sheer unpleasentness of our own first time? Or is it simply because we don't want kids to get knocked up?
    And why are we so adament that we need to prevent adults from having sex with teens? What is the difference between a 14 yr old and a 17-yr old; and a 15 yr old and an 18 yr old? Why is one legal, and the other not: the age difference is exactly the same (in Belgium, one of the changes in the law would be that any form of consensual sex between 14 and 17 would be legal, whereas now that's only 14 to 16). What are we afraid of?
    And why do we think it's okay for an 18 yr old to date a 72 yr old? There are no laws protecting anyone from that image. Why's that?

It takes a case like this, something unexpected, to show the prejudices and assumptions behind any legislation, but also to show the prejudices and assumptions in the public opinion. I'm quite sure a lot of people defending this girl do so because they don't think of girl-on-girl sex as anywhere near as passionate, grimy, violent or real as aforementioned vaginal intercourse.

I'm just rambling, sorry. I just think countries need to have healthy grown-up debates about sex, and honest sex ed for their teens, instead of random legislation leading to blind verdicts. Because this girl clearly broke the law, there's no way around it. But the law sucks to the nth degree.