Page 136 of 156 FirstFirst ... 36 86 126 134 135 136 137 138 146 ... LastLast
Results 4,051 to 4,080 of 4661

Thread: Random General Headlines

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    She abused her own dog, while being freaked out over a black dude birdwatching in a park. This is a far bigger issue than her; she was raised among that issue plus sprinkle in women being fear of men in parks in general and we have a whooooooooooole lotta fixing to do.
    That takes money. Fine racists, is what I'm saying, and fund more widespread education/rehabilitation with the fines. There is a white supremacy problem across this continent, let's get to work dismantling it.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    That takes money. Fine racists, is what I'm saying, and fund more widespread education/rehabilitation with the fines. There is a white supremacy problem across this continent, let's get to work dismantling it.
    There is a problem with institutionalized racism in the United States, wherein pretty much all white people are racist in some way and don’t even realize it. If we fined racism, here, it’d be an income tax.

We can easily educate people about racism without punishing at the same time. This requires healing at the same time.

White supremacy and racism are two different things. I don’t think Amy Cooper is a White Supremacist. I think Amy Cooper is a not-atypical American who didn’t even realize what she was doing was racist. But she was racist because she was afraid of the black man, and being afraid of the black man is ridiculously common in this country, perpetuated by media’s depiction of black men as criminals and perpetuated by the criminal justice system, itself, and perpetuated by over 250 years of institutional racism. This country is also filled with liberals who are hidden Karens who are terrified of black men.

https://news.stanford.edu/2020/06/09...erican-racism/

We have a LONG hard road ahead of us. It’s depressing how deeply-rooted and bad it really is, here.

Amy Cooper lost her job, lost her dog for a little while, and was dragged. Her behavior was a lesson on “what not to do.” Will others learn from this lesson? Sadly, probably not. Would slapping her with a 6 month jail sentence and a $1,000 fine serve as a deterrent? Nope.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-16-2021 at 10:00 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Just terrible

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Shucky darn.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    ^^ Gotta admit, I never saw any of this coming, holy crap. Even George Conway is demanding that it get shut down.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Well, who needs em anymore. I guess that sounds misanthropic, but hey, we all got what we wanted. I'm not gonna join their club.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    They didn't want us to join their club, they wanted to glom onto the Dem party/this admin eventually. These grifters can still try and influence policy. Let's hope this makes all of them too toxic for anything more than their MSNBC & Bill Maher appearances.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    what a ride, wow.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    ^^ Gotta admit, I never saw any of this coming, holy crap. Even George Conway is demanding that it get shut down.
    The writing has been on the wall for a while. Rick Wilson's pivot from heel to hero would make most studio wrestlers jealous. He's a ghoul yet somehow, without much difficulty, managed to remake his image...if you're not familiar, go to his Twitter and scroll back to 2013-14 to see his true colors. George got lucky and got out right before the shit hit the fan but he's still a different degree of garbage the way he publicly uses his daughter to drive a passive aggressive wedge between him and KAC. And that sets aside whatever abuse allegations are simmering in that household.

On top of all that, their Twitter account had been semi-regularly stealing and re-posting content without permission or attribution. It's relative, of course.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    The writing has been on the wall for a while. Rick Wilson's pivot from heel to hero would make most studio wrestlers jealous. He's a ghoul yet somehow, without much difficulty, managed to remake his image...if you're not familiar, go to his Twitter and scroll back to 2013-14 to see his true colors. George got lucky and got out right before the shit hit the fan but he's still a different degree of garbage the way he publicly uses his daughter to drive a passive aggressive wedge between him and KAC. And that sets aside whatever abuse allegations are simmering in that household.

On top of all that, their Twitter account had been semi-regularly stealing and re-posting content without permission or attribution. It's relative, of course.
    No, what I didn’t see coming was the entire thing falling apart because of John Weaver harassing and soliciting young men and BOYS, and TLP paying a bunch of money to try to protect itself from that, plus lining the founders’ pockets with “consulting fees” while DEALING WITH John Weaver soliciting BOYS.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

well that kind of says it all doesn't it.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    well that kind of says it all doesn't it.
    look at this fucking guy:

Imagine being so far gone and/or braindead that you ever take anything seriously this grifter MAGA chud says.

Last edited by bobbie solo; 02-27-2021 at 03:16 AM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Fun video on the gamestop story -

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    10 Senate Dems want recurring stimulus checks...

https://www.businessinsider.com/10-s...-checks-2021-3

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Red hats are flying on my facebook feed screaming cancel culture about this. Maybe removing books that have literal drawings of black people as monkeys isn't cancel culture, its just not printing racist trash.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Red hats are flying on my facebook feed screaming cancel culture about this. Maybe removing books that have literal drawings of black people as monkeys isn't cancel culture, its just not printing racist trash.
    It's always comical what makes them fly off the handle. If there were a Seuss book about two male Whos getting married in Whoville they bitch and moan about sanctity of marriage and boycott and the rest of it. But to acknowledge and remove works with racist slurs / stereotypes...that's a bridge too far. So transparent.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    A judge has declared that the man responsible for Toronto's deadly van attack in 2018 is guilty of 10 counts of first-degree murder and 16 counts of attempted murder.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...sion-1.5933687

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I just don’t like the framing of Dr Seuss as a bigot, because really it’s a label he doesn’t deserve. The best way to learn about intolerance is to perhaps highlight how it could seep insidiously into the work of someone who was clearly a kind and wonderful person, but not to crucify that person while holding him up to dissect through a modern lens.

Dr Seuss is not a bad guy.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I just don’t like the framing of Dr Seuss as a bigot, because really it’s a label he doesn’t deserve. The best way to learn about intolerance is to perhaps highlight how it could seep insidiously into the work of someone who was clearly a kind and wonderful person, but not to crucify that person while holding him up to dissect through a modern lens.

Eh, I don't think this is so black & white. Bad/ Good.

Geisel also wrote the “Private Snafu” series of Army training cartoons. They featured an irresponsible soldier (Snafu) who often was killed or injured due to his inability to follow orders.(The military) found that the soldiers weren’t responding to the training films, so when Dr. Seuss came up with this character of Private Snafu, they realized they had something that these young soldiers would pay attention to — some sex, some racism,” Nyback said.
    The Dark Side of Dr. Seuss

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I’ve seen the Snafu cartoons... I honestly don’t remember anything too offensive in them

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    is there an NFT thread?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    holding him up to dissect through a modern lens.

Yes, he was. Even through the old lens. It was racist then, too.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-a...m-long-rcna381

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Racism was always bad, sure, but it's ingrained in most cartoons — most popular art in North American society, really — through all of that period. It's hard to even understand the history of settlement and culture since European colonization of this continent without seeing its pervasive racism. That is what I meant earlier in the thread where we were talking about Amy Cooper and white supremacy — it's just the air she's been breathing her whole life. Same with rape culture/patriarchy/sexism. It's there in all those old cartoons, Pepé Le Pew included.

Seuss is part of that as much as any other popular artist, and I think pulling those books where it's overtly on the surface was a measure of face-saving brand resuscitation by the corporation holding publishing rights (it's not in his family anymore, they sold it long ago). It's on the one hand an acknowledgement that those books are not appropriate for children, but on the other hand it's surrendering that judgment to a corporation that exists to reap income from shit that should rightfully belong in the public domain. An anthology putting that work in scholarly context with other racist cartoons of the day could be instructive, but that's not going to generate as much capital for them as wringing the same old catalogue of works dry for another generation.

I'm part of that tradition too, I have a toddler-sized Seuss anthology in my son's book shelf. Hell, I remember reading Mulberry Street in grade school myself (can't remember if it was the original "Chinaman" or edited "Chinese Man" version). It's fine as long as you are aware of the problem and can account for it with context and awareness. The brouhaha over all of this right now is completely bereft of that.

TL;DR — settler-colonial genocide is the original "cancel culture".
    Last edited by botley; 03-13-2021 at 08:07 AM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

I'm part of that tradition too, I have a toddler-sized Seuss anthology in my son's book shelf. Hell, I remember reading Mulberry Street in grade school myself (can't remember if it was the original "Chinaman" or edited "Chinese Man" version). It's fine as long as you are aware of the problem and can account for it with context and awareness. The brouhaha over all of this right now is completely bereft of that.

Good point.
    I often wonder where cultural insensitivity ends and racism begins, or if they overlap, or if they are the same thing.

I don't agree with that Pepe La Pew "cancellation". He was never ever depicted as any sort of role model or hero (See: Rapey James Bond). It was blatant that he was a loser character whose behavior was as predatory as pathetic. One could argue that he was good to have as a benchmark for child development. Is your kid idolizing Pepe? Maybe a good indicator to sit down and talk to them. Why not mention that it's a negative stereotype of the French?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Yes, the United States canceled the Asian culture. We imprisoned Japanese American citizens. We used Chinese like slave labor. And some of the Seuss books were veiled propaganda. Was he holding up a mirror to society, like Shakespeare?

I dunno.

But I never even read anything besides “Cat” and “One Fish.” Honestly. My Mom didn’t have anything in the house except those two books. She immediately jumped us into other books. We were strictly taught phonics in those days when learning reading. Which was why the Dick and Jane and some of the Seuss books were valuable: phonics.

But later, when I was tutoring and reading to kids, I found MANY other children’s books to be far more valuable than Seuss.

Quick kinda drifty story here:

In the 60s, my Mom’s cousin was a “Stewardess” in Chicago working for American Airlines, and she was dating this guy named Shel Silverstein.

He wrote a book called “Uncle Shelby’s ABZ Book” and he autographed it for my “Aunt Milly” to give to me and my little brother, and we read it a MILLION TIMES. I was about 8 and my brother 6, and this was the most inappropriate book in the world for kids and of course THAT IS WHY WE LOVED IT. Shel Silverstein went on to write evergreen children’s books like “The Giving Tree" and "Where the Sidewalk Ends" and "A Light in the Attic" etc.

Last edited by allegro; 03-13-2021 at 02:30 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Republicans: Oh that election fraud. we don't know anything about that.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Here's that Icelandic volcano...