Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Pink Floyd

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Rattle That Lock has finally grown on me, after admittedly some shrugging at the first couple listens. Seeing most of the material played live certainly factors into this, but my reevaluation began a week before the show when I listened to the 5.1 mix. The title track is probably the most catchy song he's done since "Another Brick in the Wall, Pt. 2" (one party involved was singing it all the way to our hotel room on the way back, and made a point as to how catchy it was compared to the other songs). "In Any Tongue" I absolutely shed more than a few tears at during the show because the video and lyric are so evocative of the tragedy of wars felt by every generation now.

The one song I really turned around on is "Faces of Stone", one David wrote the words to himself.

Because of his stature I think his recent work gets unfairly maligned for being inessential compared to his most famous work. There are several of his peers who are guilty as sin for this, but I think what we're seeing in him in his solo career (and The Endless River to an extent too) is someone completely unencumbered by the need for any commercial success. But someone who still is driven by music, and is able to be more unfiltered in what he wants to put out and express. If putting the band on the shelf in the mid-90's and becoming a family man meant that we as fans had moments like these last two albums and the resulting live shows, then I would consider that quite the trade-off compared to him dragging the monolithic thing Pink Floyd had become within the industry into stadiums across the world.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    ^ Well said!
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_Nicholas View Post
    I wonder how they're going to reissue Atom Heart Mother on vinyl. They can either A: break up the epic title suite, or B: leave everything the way it was and piss off the audiophiles (side 2 is 28 minutes long, mind you).
    Many audiophiles are already pissed because some of the sources for these new reissues aren't "all analogue" or whatever. Please. A high-res digital master, if handled well, outperforms all but the highest standard of analogue tape — and given their history, it's a safe bet none of the PF album master tapes meet that standard now.

Still waiting on a 5.1 remix of The Wall studio album...

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I'm still waiting for a studio recording of "What Shall We Do Now?" be released in some official capacity.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I'm more invested in if there will be more Blu-ray releases like with the Immersion releases and the ones for The Division Bell & The Endless River. The surround format is a perfect fit for their music, because how they presented it live and just how sonically dense their work is.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    I'm still waiting for a studio recording of "What Shall We Do Now?" be released in some official capacity.
    It's obviously not studio, but I really like the version on Roger Waters: The Wall from last year. It's the first time I heard the song at all, actually. I was watching the BluRay and I was like, 'What in the fuck... This is awesome!'

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I think when the movie comes out on Blu-ray it'll get a release. I could see an EP of material that is in the movie but is different from the album.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    it has been, no? i have it digitally from a 3 disc reissue of the wall soundtrack...
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 05-15-2016 at 10:40 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    That's just a demo of it, different from the version that's in the movie.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    it sounds pretty similar to me (and not very demo-ish), though it's been years since i've seen the movie.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

This is as it appears in the movie, and was presumably recorded for the album in 1979 but cut because of time restraints.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Getting into more bootlegs again. Finding high-quality stuff that is at least listenable to my standards is a little bit of a challenge, but they are out there. I listened to much of the Boston show on the '77 tour and find it of even better quality than the Oakland show, which was captured okay but too much fireworks. Roger's attitude towards those audiences then is completely justified now, even the context of the Montreal incident is so because that tour was fraught with tension.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    '77 was a weird year. Despite the fact that it was a year where a lot of great albums came out. That was the year Zeppelin finally cracked during that tour which some said was just bad. What was the mentality of going to these concerts at the time? Roger Waters was spot-on about what was happening as there was a disconnect between music and audience for some reason. Why go to a rock show if you're just going to spend some time shooting fireworks and doing stupid shit instead of listening to the music?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    One reason is that while bands had great volume with amps and PA's, they still didn't have the visual technology that's available today to put on a more compelling show for all the senses. When you're dealing with the kinds of numbers of people seeing you that Floyd or Zeppelin were getting, that can be a real problem. Add to which, at least in Floyd's case, that there was an element of the audience that weren't as intellectually engaged with the music. That their shows were good to get high at and get lost in the sound, though I'm sure that's not true of everybody who attended their 1977 tour, even in America where the crowd goofiness was at a more intense level.

I don't think I'd ever enjoy seeing a rock concert of any kind in a stadium. Besides any social hangups I may have towards being in the middle of such a massive throng of people anyway, it's never seemed like the most conducive environment for music. I think the Gilmour show I attended sold out, and at capacity the United Center holds about 15,000 people. That's probably as big as I'd like to do, you could hear (couldn't quite see much, most everyone was standing on the floor and I was nearly at the back) everything perfectly and I got in and out at a decent amount of time.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 05-29-2016 at 11:35 AM.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    To the Floyd audiophile fans:

Im looking to get DSOTM and The Wall on CD. Any pressings I should stay away from, or recommendations? If you have direct shopping links that would be greatly appreciated too.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    To the Floyd audiophile fans:

Im looking to get DSOTM and The Wall on CD. Any pressings I should stay away from, or recommendations? If you have direct shopping links that would be greatly appreciated too.
    Both great sounding albums. I personally love the sound of the 20th Anniversary Dark Side CD, remastered by Doug Sax. They go for reasonable prices sometimes in used CD stores, but you can also grab one on Discogs.

I'm also a huge fan of the sound on Mobile Fidelity's gold UDCD remaster of The Wall. It's earth-shaking! Very expensive, however, and some people don't like just how huge the very deep sub-bass frequencies are on it.

For modern playback systems and tastes, the just-reissued 2016 Pink Floyd Records CDs that are in print will sound absolutely fine. They were remastered for EMI's "Why Pink Floyd?" campaign in 2011 and are now controlled under the band's own label imprint. You can also audition the sound of them on streaming services. The earlier recommendations are for serious collectors only.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Looks like Roger's going to warm up for the Desert shows in Mexico City.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 06-01-2016 at 04:12 PM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Oooh, I hope he busts out "Dogs" again with Jon Carin singing lead. That was so badass.
    Last edited by botley; 06-01-2016 at 03:57 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I really need those tickets!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The tickets sold out immediately and another date was added. Hope you make it henry.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    The tickets sold out immediately and another date was added. Hope you make it henry.
    Thanks!
    I was able to get tickets for the second date, unsurprisingly the first date tickets lasted like 1 hour (impressive since it's a 26,000 people arena).
    The second date was added immediately so i was able to grab those, i'm glad i already saw Waters before, but it's always a great show...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    David's concert in Poland this past Saturday was broadcast on their TV, and if you know where to look you can find captures of the whole show online. Pretty special not only for the orchestra but he's added two new songs to the set, "Dancing Right in Front of Me" and "One of These Days", not played since the last Pink Floyd tour in 1994.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    David's concert in Poland this past Saturday was broadcast on their TV, and if you know where to look you can find captures of the whole show online. Pretty special not only for the orchestra but he's added two new songs to the set, "Dancing Right in Front of Me" and "One of These Days", not played since the last Pink Floyd tour in 1994.
    I really enjoyed the set! I did hate that he said "We'll be back in 10 minutes" and then the credits rolled though

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Anathema cover "Keep Talking" with a very special guest

Last edited by onthewall2983; 08-20-2020 at 09:48 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    ...for anyone who didn't catch the news:

MOTHERFUCKING 27-DISC BOX SET OF LARGELY UNRELEASED PRE-DARK SIDE MATERIAL.

Retailing in November for... ulp... $700. But Jesus fucking Christ I need this. Vinyl replicas of the first five singles. 11+ hours of audio including 7+ hours of live performances and 14+ hours of video including 5+ hours of rare concert footage all from the years 1967-1972.

There's also a 2CD sampler version called Cre/ation and digital-only version, but fuck that because the big big box also has brand new 5.1 surround remixes. FUCK ME UP WITH IT
    Last edited by botley; 07-28-2016 at 11:08 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Fuck. Fuck! I'm freaking out right now.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Each set that makes up the whole box (apart from the bonus discs, the vinyl singles and other memorabilia) will be released individually starting early next year. So if you don't want to break the bank but still want this, you'll have to wait a little bit. That's what I'm going to do, and I'll get the sampler as something to tide me over until then.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I'm all in. Come on, Pompeii in 5.1, dude! Amazing. I am actually having goosebumps thinking about this.

Yes you could wait and get the individual sets... pretty much all the relevant stuff is there. But I want it all.