I need some advice.

A good friend and colleague of mine is in trouble, it seems. He's always been very pessimistic, fatalistic and stressed out about basically everything he encountered at work/life that's challenging. So a few weeks ago a new couch he bought was delivered in broken condition. And that seemingly sent him over the cliff. He's on sick leave since then, because he's - in his own words - making his mind up all night , not letting him get rest or sleep.

He then went on to watch a lot of documentaries about depression, because years earlier he got diagnosed with severe depression and got in treatment for it for a few sessions. He aborted those, because he wanted to enter civil service and, in our country, they won't let you with certain "issues", such as mental illness. So now he's in civil service and is insured with a private insurance company. The problem now is: He's somehow under the impression that he might not have informed that company in enough detail about his earlier aborted treatment, so in his mind it's not unlikely that they won't not even pay for future bills, but are likely to take back every cent they spent on him in the last couple years. That's why he refuses to leave the house, drive a car, go to a therapist (his depression is not the problem here, but the insurance stuff, he says). He even told another friend how it must be better for his family, if he ended his life right there and then, because that way his family would only have to put up with the funeral costs, instead of all the money he, in his mind, owes the insurance company, whenever they find out about it.

So, being that he's a good friend, I want to help him, because -in my mind- the stuff he's so afraid of isn't likely to happen. But how do I help him? What's the best way not to put any more pressure on him? The way I see it: He needs someone professional to talk to - not in this case specifically, but for his everyday struggle with work and life and stuff. But for now, I think, it would be best for him to make his fears about that insurance stuff go away... but how? I'm a bit at loss here.