Thread: Geopolitical Conflict News

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Part of this reminds me of the Rwandan Genocide. You know horrific events are taking place but what is there to do: sit back and watch or intervene?

It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't type of situation.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    Part of this reminds me of the Rwandan Genocide. You know horrific events are taking place but what is there to do: sit back and watch or intervene?

It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't type of situation.
    Rwanda was handled through the UNSC, as Geneva violations are supposed to be. It wasn't cowboy USA calling all the shots. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...nal_for_Rwanda

You are a whole lot less "damned" if you follow the process that was set in place for the world to follow.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    Rwanda was handled through the UNSC
    The UNSC did nothing. The situation wasn't "handled" and a genocide occurred.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    Rwanda was handled through the UNSC, as Geneva violations are supposed to be. It wasn't cowboy USA calling all the shots. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...nal_for_Rwanda

You are a whole lot less "damned" if you follow the process that was set in place for the world to follow.
    Rwanda desmonstrated quite well why the process is flawed: almost a million people died in the course of one single month, and the UN gave strict instructions to the UNIMAR not to intervene in a military fashion, in other words: not to stop the killings. It's mind boggling that there were international armed forces present in order to help the population and they weren't allowed to save anyone. Tribunals after the fact are too little, too late, and often handled very poorly with hardly any respect for local traditions or any efforts toward reconcilliation.
    Note: It's especially sad if you consider that international support for the gorilla population was better organized and more effective than anything drummed up to help the people out.

And if the mechanisms in place to protect the Geneva convention work so well, then why is there still a genocide going on in East-Congo?

I'm not a big fan van Captain America, but I'm also not a big fan of 'let the UN handle it' because the UN has an increasingly poor track record in protecting human rights.
    And by human rights, I mean: human lives.
    Last edited by Elke; 09-01-2013 at 02:40 AM. Reason: I forgot about the apes