Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Geopolitical Conflict News

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

. EU throws sanctions on Belarus who are now actively taking part in Russia's war against Ukraine.

. Putin's recent threats of putting his nuclear forces on high alert seem to have really pissed of Germany.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 02-27-2022 at 01:18 PM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    What happened in Germany today is huge. The government said it will spend 100 billion on its forces from now on - up until today it was only half that amount! It's a complete U-turn in foreign politics.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Here's a piece of history, anyone remember this photo from back in 2013 during the Euromaiden in Ukraine?

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Some people in Poland are packing up in case they have to flee. This is from a friend in Poland.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Geez, our government are so hellbent on trying to play 6D chess that they are just embarassing themselves. The latest news is that we are not allowing weapon transfers through our borders to Ukraine, because such cargoes represent potential military targets and we don't want to get our people involved with the war - paraphrasing. Pretty embarassing. I don't care that we've been politically in Putin's ass (it's been like this for decades), we are a small country so we are bound to be the bitch of one of the major powers, but at least do the bare minimum in times like these and stop trying to pander to both sides.

It's also angering to read some of the pro-Russian sentiment on social platforms. We don't have a great friendship with Ukraine and they are far from saints, but this is the one time people should recognize the severity of the situation and put aside their grievances. So many people think the Russians are cool and actually rooting for them to "stick it up to the west". Man, they'd be crying if they had to live there.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Aaand of course new South Park episode is about this war.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    this move by the Ukrainian roads department to take down all navigational road signs and replace them with signs with directions to towns named things like "Straight to Hell" and "Go Fuck Yourself" is amazing

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    The way the Ukranians are turning Russia's invasion into a large wet fart is honestly fucking inspiring as hell.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    The way the Ukranians are turning Russia's invasion into a large wet fart is honestly fucking inspiring as hell.
    There are a lot of promising things seen so far but Russia still has an awful lot left in the quiver.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    This is really informative, for those who don’t know a lot about this stuff, especially the Holodomor:

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/ukrain...-oppression/#x

Putin is Stalin.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-28-2022 at 04:29 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Canada joins the sanctions, along with sending weapons to Ukraine.

This shows more countries ignoring Putin's threats of sending lethal weapons to Ukraine showing him a huge middle finger.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 02-28-2022 at 05:03 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Replica in France:

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    This is really informative, for those who don’t know a lot about this stuff, especially the Holodomor:

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/ukrain...-oppression/#x

Putin is Stalin.
    It really sucks for Russia that they keep deposing shitty leaders with the promise of a fresh and strong start only to get a worse leader for their trouble.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    I wonder if corporate USA is still farming out work to Russia during the hostilities. There's a lot of that going on. I know of 1 instance for sure (I used to work there) where engineering work is going to Russia at the cost of jobs at home. & the work is suffering from the distance & time lag in communication.
    https://www.bloombergquint.com/amp/b...lots-in-russia

https://www.flightglobal.com/aerospa...147738.article

https://www.reuters.com/business/aut...on-2022-02-28/
    Last edited by allegro; 03-01-2022 at 02:31 AM.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    Here's a piece of history, anyone remember this photo from back in 2013 during the Euromaiden in Ukraine?
    Yes, sure.
    Here's another one.
    IMG_0871.jpeg

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Looks like they are doing some window dressing but not stopping work entirely. The engineering thing is pretty huge with a lot of money changing hands. No unions in Russia.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    My buddy shared this in our group chat and it makes a lot of sense:
    So I'm pretty convinced that Putin helped Trump get put into office because Trump was doing his damndest to get the US out of NATO for a while. Had he actually got elected to another term we may have been out of it by now... which then would free up Russia to try and absorb NATO countries without fear of US involvement. Now that Biden is in there he can't just start WWIII so he needs to go slow with Ukraine and possibly not go into any NATO countries. Trump was supposed to stay in office long enough to keep America out of this conflict.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Right on time as usual.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Jesus Wtf

https://www.texasmonthly.com/article...ussia-hacking/

So, Russia is recruiting disillusioned misfits from around the world to support their cause, radicalizing them and getting them to fight, and PAYING them.

Which is right out of the ISIS playbook.

Russia is claiming that they’re fighting Nazis, but today Russia bombed the sacred Holocaust site Babyn Yar.

Last edited by allegro; 03-01-2022 at 07:52 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Replica in France:

Couldn't help myself sorry.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    @BenAkenobi Hey man, you hanging in there? What are things looking like right now?

I hope i can speak for most folks on the board in that we def don't wish the people of Russia to suffer under all the economic sanctions.

Stay safe!

I might be naive for such wishful thinking but after all the dust settles, when Putin is gone and Russia gets it's act together on the Government side of things. While the world is focused on helping Ukraine i hope people will come through and help the folks of Russia as well.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Russian police jail mother and her kids for carrying anti war signs.

https://www.npr.org/2022/03/02/10839...kraines-embass
    Last edited by mfte; 03-02-2022 at 01:48 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Leaked document from Russian troops showing war against Ukraine was approved on 18th January, and initial plan to seize Ukraine starting 20th Feb to 06th March.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    @BenAkenobi Hey man, you hanging in there? What are things looking like right now?

I hope i can speak for most folks on the board in that we def don't wish the people of Russia to suffer under all the economic sanctions.

Stay safe!

I might be naive for such wishful thinking but after all the dust settles, when Putin is gone and Russia gets it's act together on the Government side of things. While the world is focused on helping Ukraine i hope people will come through and help the folks of Russia as well.
    Hi, thanks. Staying safe is much easier than staying sane. It's hard for me personally to see all those news because i lived there as kid. It's disturbing to turn on the TV. It's disgusting how these officials previously shook hands with veterans of 41-45 war - and they will yet again this year come May. Decline in economy isn't so much pain as decline in culture and respect for labour, beliefs and rights.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Some things that may be useful to consider. I'm sure some or all of it is covered by Western media, but it may also be lost in the ocean of other news

- Majority of people in Russia (and Belarus for that matter) do not support the war, including many of those who actually supported Putin (until Feb 24 at least)

- Many, many, many people actively protest the war. Several thousand people in most major cities have been caught and jailed during the protests.

- Propaganda and censorship machine is working at full capacity. State media push the only allowed narrative: it is a special operation against a nazi regime that oppresses brotherly nation. People do seek the truth, nevertheless. I think I saw somewhere a report from BBC that their Russian-language broadcasting had its traffic tripled in recent days.

- Several biggest independent or semi-independent news outlets are under severe crackdown. Using the actual word war is not allowed, so is citing any sort of information not coming from the official (state) resources. The workaround here is that every few minutes news hosts had to interrupt themselves so say that [this and this] is not confirmed by the ministry of defense and that ministry of defense stresses that is a special military operation bla bla bla [but not a war].
    This workaround, however, only worked for so long. Two of the biggest outlets (TV Rain and Echo of Moscow radio) had been taken off the air and their websites shut down. They continue working on Youtube, however. Smaller and regional media (radio, newspapers and websites) were also basically silenced.
    Next in line is most likely Novaya Gazeta, which is led by last year's Peace Nobel Prize winner Muratov (who was nominated by "for the efforts to safeguard freedom of expression, which is a precondition for democracy and lasting peace.") Won't be any surprise here.

Putin's regime had 21 years to mold the country into police state. Unfortunately, the propaganda often works and not enough people have realized just how deep in shit their own future is. (and many will still blame the west for it).
    Last edited by fillow; 03-03-2022 at 01:01 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

there's a link in that thread to the following: