Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Massive Attack

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Up for pre order on their site. £20 seems a bit steep for a four track EP but needs must

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_Hunter View Post
    Up for pre order on their site. £20 seems a bit steep for a four track EP but needs must
    It's titled "double vinyl" but only lists the songs on sides A&B. Maybe there are bonus remixes on a second record?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I like the Roots Manuva song. And i like it more than the Heligoland material...slightly more atmospheric, but i dont find it mindblowing or anything.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    "Take it There" is fucking great. I'm not particularly blown away by the rest of the songs. They're okay, nothing special. But damn, Take it There has a stronger sense of emotion that I've been missing in most of the songs they've done for the last 10 years, which to me have seemed like nothing more than atmospheric background music. There's been some good stuff, like "Live With Me" and the Hope Sandoval track, which are really powerful, but they're definitely the exception. Hopefully this new album can manage to tap into something deeper and more emotional again.

Also: Feels pretty righteous to have Tricky back in the fold. He's a huge part of what makes the song amazing.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    The title track is the best song on it. Mesmerizing. Absolutely.

I'd call "Voodoo" pretty weak, though. Reminds me of "Flat of the Blade," by far the weakest song on Heligoland.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Now, we're talking. This is what Heligoland should have been. Dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    Wow. THIS is more fucking like it. How hard was that? 3D, Daddy G and Tricky getting dark as fuck on a track that sounds like it was made a year after Mezzanine, with an appropriately weird music video to go with it.

Now if only they could come up with a full-length album of this kind of quality..
    I'm echoing your sounds.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Forgot to post these... Saturday night, Birmingham UK

These are just a few I took on my phone. I also took some on my camera, but haven't had chance to go through those yet

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Those letters and numbers again? Meaning, they are still riding the exact same production they've been using since 100th Window era?
    Last edited by fillow; 02-24-2016 at 08:36 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Those letters and number again? Meaning, they are still riding the exact same production they've been using since 100th Window era?
    I wouldn't know, first time I've seen them. I don't really care about what was happening behind them, I was more entertained by the live music.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Those letters and number again? Meaning, they are still riding the exact same production they've been using since 100th Window era?
    The live band and arrangements have changed mightily, but yeah, the visuals remain. I imagine it's because they are in the same position as Tool: touring primarily for income.

At least they change the sets and play a shit ton of new material all the time.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    It's titled "double vinyl" but only lists the songs on sides A&B. Maybe there are bonus remixes on a second record?

I ordered a copy from their website and it came out to be 38 dollars shipped to californian. Buying it now is probably wise seeing how every damn massive attack record shoots up for resale, and i can never afford to pay resell value.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    That shit's expensive, I doubt they got the excess money to toss it all out and build a brand new setup just for variety's sake. Besides, you could maybe argue that it's just part of their live identity at this point, like MBV always doing the holocaust section at the end of every set.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdm View Post
    I ordered a copy from their website and it came out to be 38 dollars shipped to californian. Buying it now is probably wise seeing how every damn massive attack record shoots up for resale, and i can never afford to pay resell value.
    Still waiting for a reissue of 100th Window. Preferably with a smarter side layout than the inappropriately lavish 3xLP original press; it fits extremely easily on a double LP if you do 3 tracks/3 tracks/2 tracks/Antistar + LP4. This would also retain the transition from SC to BC, which is pretty killer.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Still waiting for a reissue of 100th Window. Preferably with a smarter side layout than the inappropriately lavish 3xLP original press; it fits extremely easily on a double LP if you do 3 tracks/3 tracks/2 tracks/Antistar + LP4. This would also retain the transition from SC to BC, which is pretty killer.
    The 3xLP version is worth owning if you can find an affordable one. I got it second hand and it is absolutely brilliant on vinyl

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_Hunter View Post
    The 3xLP version is worth owning if you can find an affordable one. I got it second hand and it is absolutely brilliant on vinyl

I think i paid 70 dollars for my copy at amoeba. Massive attack vinyl are always top notch in sound quality.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdm View Post
    I think i paid 70 dollars for my copy at amoeba.
    Pretty sure mine was about £40 middle of last year. In context, I've just paid £30 including shipping for the new Deftones 2xLP set.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Still not entirely sold on this track, but the video helps!
    Last edited by Alexandros; 02-23-2016 at 08:52 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    That is a fucking awesome video. Love the reference to Possession as Rosamund Pike is just incredible.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    That is a fucking awesome video. Love the reference to Possession as Rosamund Pike is just incredible.
    i'm not sure about Possession (haven't seen it) but the floating sphere certainly reminded me of Phantasm haha.
    and yeah, Rosamund Pike is amazing. that laugh? CHILLING. that was definitely one of the most engrossing and unsettling videos i've watched in a while.

oh, and the song is fantastic.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    I'm surprised no one shared his opinion on the recent live shows. I was in Munich on Sunday and I was completely blown away. It was easily one of the most captivating performances I have ever seen. While the backdrop remains the same for 10 years now I was really deeply unsettled by the up to date news (things I read that very morning before the show) and the imagery of refugees which is all so pain evoking as a fellow European myself.

Apart from that you just can't beat a band like this which so many different facettes and singers all bringing their best to the table whether it's Martina, Horace, Del Naja himself and all the other guest old and new. A very well balanced setlist combining their latest tracks, their hits and a good overview of their catalogue really sealed the deal for me.

Their shows might seem bland when watching youtube bits but damn, the sound, the atmosphere, the level of professionalism, things analogue and digital combined... truly an immersive experience. I have never seen a band this delicate, confident but in the meantime very modest. Just wow.

Massive Attack really pushed their way back into my conciousness with the stellar EP and an even more enormous live show. I hope a whole new album will follow and I get to see Del Naja again soon as he is one of my most admired modern artists.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    The creepy hallway shot, and resulting violation, reminded me of Irreversible. Excellent video that added to the song. I hope I get to catch their live performance, this year.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

Kate Moss still looks fucking gorgeous.

I finally heard the EP recently and honestly, it's the best thing I've heard from them since Mezzanine as I could play it over and over again. 100th Window and Heligoland have their moments but didn't grasp on me as whole albums as it got boring in some spots which is why I haven't really bothered to listen to them again like other albums.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    So I've started to go back to Massive Attack, stuff I'd not really paid much attention to in the past but am now looking into a bit more. I've always been "aware" of False Flags and United Snakes, but hadn't paid much attention to the songs particularly and it's only now I've discovered just how much I really like United Snakes. I'm having a little difficulty tracking down a decent quality copy of United Snakes that I can take with me on an external hard drive for in the car or on my phone for on the move - can anyone help me out and point me in the right direction? I recently got False Flags/ United Snakes on vinyl so no worries on that score, but desperately looking for a decent MP3 or other electronic format!! Help!

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    US was only released digitally on the False Flags promos. It might have been on one of the Heligoland deluxe editions too.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    US was only released digitally on the False Flags promos. It might have been on one of the Heligoland deluxe editions too.
    Yeah that's all I've dug up so far, but can't find a copy of the deluxe heligoland including United snakes in the usual places. The only ones I've found have either been 128kbps or the shortened version used on the promo video

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    That is a great music video. Loved the usage of "Unfinished Symphony" in that video. I like what Massive Attack is doing. Keep it up guys.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Paging NYRexall

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    This is total wank stuff. I love it.