Page 44 of 45 FirstFirst ... 34 42 43 44 45 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1327

Thread: The Netflix Thread

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    Watched that "Muscles & Mayhem: The Unauthorized Story of American Gladiators" series... I didn't watch much of the show growing up but it was familiar enough that I was curious.
    Compelling, in its own way.
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I kind of hate that wrestling became more popular than American Gladiators. I was far more entertained watching regular people try to go up against meatheads instead of watching two meatheads tumble around.
    I was a huge fan of the show when I was a kid, so I was really looking forward to this and the 30 for 30 special on American Gladiators that was released to he month prior. The other one spends the majority of the time with John Ferraro (and the elusive DANN "APACHE" CARR) and some of the other Gladiators like Thunder, and more of the competitors (2 SCOOPS!!) that were not in the Netflix doc, and it's a good counterpoint that goes into the actual origins of the show.

A similar tale to pro wrestling, when the injuries start to pile up, nobody wants to loose their spot and then you get PEDs into the mix.

Loved them both, and the original show.
    Last edited by SM Rollinger; 08-15-2023 at 07:56 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Nice.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Always happy to see Mike's work, should be fun.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

something seems off, I wonder if it's the fact the voices sound so much older than the characters now?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

something seems off, I wonder if it's the fact the voices sound so much older than the characters now?
    They're also not voice actors, so the consistency of their performances will be pretty different based on which of them have done voice work and/or which of them takes better to voice work than the others.

But yeah, the clip feels very slow paced and kind of low energy when compared to the movie. That said, when you're telling a story over 6-8 hours instead of 2 hours, the pacing should be different. It just might take some adjusting to when we're used to a specific kind of Scott Pilgrim tempo.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Finished up Part 5 of Disenchantment; I'm not sure how I feel about it really... yeah, it resolved well enough but I think I need to rewatch the series as a whole and then make up my mind...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Always happy to see Mike's work, should be fun.
    Started watching this last night...I was kind of disappointed. I think the writing is absolutely terrible, any other opinions?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    Started watching this last night...I was kind of disappointed. I think the writing is absolutely terrible, any other opinions?

IDK but the second episode left me speechless.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Holy moly (no pun intended), finally watched Midnight Mass. What an amazing show! The writing, acting, story were sooo good.

Way better than Fall of the House of Usher IMO.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm currently on episode 3 and I had to power thru each episode basically. Flanagan peaked not just with shows but in his entire career with Haunting of Hill House. Everything before or since is heavily flawed. He's way too cheesy and hokey to pull off a show about these type of people when it comes to Usher at least.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Something Underneath View Post
    I'm currently on episode 3 and I had to power thru each episode basically. Flanagan peaked not just with shows but in his entire career with Haunting of Hill House. Everything before or since is heavily flawed. He's way too cheesy and hokey to pull off a show about these type of people when it comes to Usher at least.
    Did you see Midnight Mass yet? Probably 2nd to Hill House by far IMO.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Did you see Midnight Mass yet? Probably 2nd to Hill House by far IMO.
    Yes Midnight Mass is second to Hill House.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Yes Midnight Mass is second to Hill House.
    Yeah, I’d currently rank them:

Hill House
    Midnight Mass
    House of Usher
    Bly Manor
    (and I haven’t seen The Midnight Club, but from what I’ve heard, it would be at the bottom of everyone’s list)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post

Hill House
    Midnight Mass
    House of Usher
    Bly Manor
    (and I haven’t seen The Midnight Club, but from what I’ve heard, it would be at the bottom of everyone’s list)
    That's too bad about The Midnight Club, it was such a good premise.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post

Hill House
    Midnight Mass
    House of Usher
    Bly Manor
    Usher is so bad I think I'd even put Bly Manor above it. At least it had a few creepy moments and some atmosphere at times going for it. And a few characters I could remotely give a shit about. Usher fails as drama and it fails as horror even harder. I'm flipping between boredom,being baffled and laughing at it in each of the 4 episodes I managed to suffer thru so far.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Usher is so bad I think I'd even put Bly Manor above it. At least it had a few creepy moments and some atmosphere at times going for it. And a few characters I could remotely give a shit about. Usher fails as drama and it fails as horror even harder. I'm flipping between boredom,being baffled and laughing at it in each of the 4 episodes I managed to suffer thru so far.
    Yeah I was really disappointed with the writing...kind of shocked how bad it was actually.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Re-watching the series "Disjointed"... and this time following the wifi password's to get to the YouTube links... because, why not.

Nice, silly....

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    I mean, even Hill House peters out pathetically because he just can't push things to their dark conclusion and somehow sabotages himself, which is really weird ! All in all I think he lacks the cruelty to let his characters destroy themselves, which can be fine, but since he dedicates so much time to set their fate up, it's quite odd that he'd go out of his way to find excuses or paths towards redemption at the last minute. It's not even a character arc, it's akin to a deus ex machina, "and all in all things were sad but not that bad".

It's always a bit disappointing when a director of this genre pulls their punches.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

The Brothers Sun is a really fun show.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I binged through most of Mike Flanagan's Netflix output over the holidays. His work reminds me a lot of the made-for-tv Stephen King adaptations from the 90s and 00s. Which I can be pretty nostalgic for - including for how hokey some of it can be.

• Midnight Mass is probably the best thing he's done;
    • House of Usher suffers from taking itself too serious. They could've leaned more into presenting a satire of (wannabe) dynastic families;
    • Hill House doesn't really resolve its story, but the family dynamics were written and performed very well;
    • Bly Manor doesn't have enough going on to justify its runtime. I was also left confused about the whole thing with the unclefather.

Of his movies I've only seen Dr Sleep (should've been a series) and Oculus (protagonists unrealistically young).

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    This was great. Complex, funny and sad, and moving.
    Highly recommended.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Spacespider

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Anyone else watch the first season of Love/Death/Robots and think about that one episode after watching that trailer?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post

The Brothers Sun is a really fun show.
    We burned through this over the weekend, really enjoyed it. The last couple of episodes weren't as good IMO, but it starts off way strong.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Started watching "Griselda"... yeah, I dig it.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    Started watching "Griselda"... yeah, I dig it.
    Finished up watching. Well done. That lady was... motivated. Yeeesssss... that'll be a good word.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Finished up watching "Master of the Universe: Revolution" ... yeah, that good. I still like the way they made the vehicles look like the box art.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Didn't know that Sandman Universe was going to be a thing.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Finished watching this tonight.... made us laugh over here.