Thread: How fucked was your day?

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miss k bee View Post
    Basically Data Entry job advertised via job
    website. Telephone interview by recruitment agency and two days later
    had email job offer and contract from hiring company. Was told job was
    subject to criminal single offence check and advised to use a online
    disclosure check service and pay for express service in order to start job in
    time. Long story short all three companies are linked and using details
    of a real company for ID theft of applicants details and fraud. There is no job. The fake websites are still up though. Had to report it police and notify, bank, passport etc. Very stressful week. Absolutely horrible.
    That's awful. I'm so sorry.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Holy shit, @miss k bee can't trust ANYBODY these days. I guess the moral of the story is don't give that kind of info online ever, omg. I've never heard of anything this elaborate! This is nuts!

I never give my social security number in online job applications, I wait until I'm sitting in front of somebody. But I'm really paranoid.

Can you freeze your credit reporting accounts?

That really is some evil shit.
    Last edited by allegro; 09-19-2015 at 09:56 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Holy shit, @miss k bee can't trust ANYBODY these days. I guess the moral of the story is don't give that kind of info online ever, omg. I've never heard of anything this elaborate! This is nuts!

I never give my social security number in online job applications, I wait until I'm sitting in front of somebody. But I'm really paranoid.

Can you freeze your credit reporting accounts?

That really is some evil shit.
    Well I didn't give them my bank details thankfully. Reported them to the police, have to renew my passport, registered with a service to flag up any changes to my credit file and another service to flag up anything on my bank account. The fake websites are still up and they are actually advertising another fake position on you tube and another website claiming to do tax rebates!. It is very stressful.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    I heard this story last month . Don't press 1, just don't do it people!

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechc...-a-silent-call

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Well I didn't give them my bank details thankfully. Reported them to the police, have to renew my passport, registered with a service to flag up any changes to my credit file and another service to flag up anything on my bank account. The fake websites are still up and they are actually advertising another fake position on you tube and another website claiming to do tax rebates!. It is very stressful.
    Yeah, I guess you guys don't have the equivalent of a social security number where they can pretty much drain you financially, too, like they can, here in the States? Stressful, christ, I don't blame you, ugh. I hope it all works out and they take those damned sites down!!!

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    hang thwrchamp youre ar loved and respected

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Yeah, I guess you guys don't have the equivalent of a social security number where they can pretty much drain you financially, too, like they can, here in the States? Stressful, christ, I don't blame you, ugh. I hope it all works out and they take those damned sites down!!!
    We have the National Insurance number which we use to pay tax. Phoned the advice line for that and they said they can't do much with it but took my details anyway.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Ugh, reading about that just reminded me how I got a call from an anonymous number and I thought maybe it was from someone who I just left at the hospital- like a family member because I don't have their number. I didn't pick up in time and when I called back it was like "You'll be charged after this beep" and I haven't gotten the hang of hanging up on this stupid touchscreen smartphone so I'm afraid now of what kind of charge it was...

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Police can't do much. Report it on www.ic3.gov.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post
    Police can't do much. Report it on www.ic3.gov.
    She's in the U.K.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    She's in the U.K.
    Doesn't matter. From their website:

Quote Originally Posted by ic3.gov
    The IC3 was established as a partnership between the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the National White Collar Crime Center (NW3C) to receive Internet related criminal complaints and to further research, develop, and refer the criminal complaints to federal, state, local, or international law enforcement and/or regulatory agencies for any investigation they deem to be appropriate. The IC3 was intended, and continues to emphasize, serving the broader law enforcement community to include federal, as well as state, local, and international agencies, which are combating Internet crime and, in many cases, participating in Cyber Crime Task Forces.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Doesn't matter. From their website:
    Over there, they have this.

Considering the FBI are a bunch of incompetent twats in this country, they aren't going to be much less incompetent in other countries even if they do allegedly partner with other "crime centers." Note that the web address ends with "dot gov."

Boy, this web page makes me feel safe and secure, especially with that dude prominently featured:

http://www.nw3c.org/

Remember, this is the same FBI that is responsible for this. (my husband's and my data was part of that breach)
    Last edited by allegro; 09-22-2015 at 11:36 AM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Considering the FBI are a bunch of incompetent twats in this country, they aren't going to be much less incompetent in other countries even if they do allegedly partner with other "crime centers." Note that the web address ends with "dot gov."

Boy, this web page makes me feel safe and secure, especially with that dude prominently featured:

Remember, this is the same FBI that is responsible for this. (my husband's and my data was part of that breach)
    So was mine!

Assuming everything that ends in "dot gov" is a disaster is not a good way to look at things. While the government has their share of problems, writing it off will get nothing fixed. But I won't derail the conversation further.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes I reported it to Action Fraud. Pissed that the websites are still up.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    So was mine!
    LOL, egad.

First thing I did was contact all three credit reporting agencies and did a security freeze. I'm just *REALLY* fucking pissed off about it. It's such fucking incompetence. I've been in contact with the FBI for various things over many years, so I have many very good reasons to think they're a bunch of computer ding-dongs. This shouldn't be a big surprise.

I do consult the IRS's web sites on various occasions and they have a lot of very good forms sites, so not ALL dot gov sites are as stupid as the FBI.

(my husband has been a Fed employee for 34 yrs, and I'm certainly not going to complain about the pension when he retires in less than 2 years, LOL)
    Last edited by allegro; 09-22-2015 at 03:05 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Could be worse , I could have left an actual job for these fake scumbags. Seems some people might have done that.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I just got fired, for not quitting last night.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillfred View Post
    Oh, man, wtf, that sucks, dude.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillfred View Post
    Wow, sorry. They gave you an option to quit and you said no?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    If people in my life could stop dying, that would be great.

My cousin over in Pennsylvania found his wife dead on the bedroom floor yesterday morning, the autopsy is today but it sounds like an aneurysm to me. I was up helping their side of the family get flights over yesterday. They're pretty messed up over it. It's so sad.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Went hiking, slipped on a rock, fractured a rib.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    ^the same exact thing happened to me a few years back. there isn't much you can do for a fractured rib except medicate (however you do that!) and wait. mine didn't heal properly and i have a weird protrusion on my left lower rib cage, right above the "floating ribs."

-slave2thewage, i'm really fucking sorry to hear that, with aneurysms time is everything. the only comfort is that it's a pretty quick way to go. my aunt passed from one.
    Last edited by ldopa; 10-12-2015 at 11:39 PM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Grieving the loss of a close friend.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I'm sorry for your loss. *hugs*

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    I'm sorry for your loss. *hugs*
    Thank you!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    My condolences. :-( *hugs*

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    My condolences. :-( *hugs*
    Thanks. She really was a shining light.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Last night I discovered a bad ingrown hair around my pubes. Today, the pain is excruciating. I feel like a crab is holding on for dear life to the skin above my dick.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Last night I discovered a bad ingrown hair around my pubes. Today, the pain is excruciating. I feel like a crab is holding on for dear life to the skin above my dick.
    Warm compress.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    or get a needle / tweezers and bite your wallet
    Last edited by ldopa; 10-26-2015 at 09:45 AM.