Page 17 of 69 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 67 ... LastLast

Thread: How fucked was your day?

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    I'm sorry, Ryan. I lost one of my hairy children in April.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Our dog died today, she was 18.
    So sorry to hear, Ryan. My sympathies.

Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    thanks for the kind words, @redshoewearer and @Dra508 . we finally got the assessment on one of the cats (the five year old), and it is indeed lymphoma on his liver. we're crushed. chemo starts next week. i really hope it helps.
    Sending positive kitty thoughts your way.

Lots of friends losing their four-legged companions this year. Really breaks my heart.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    These are the people I'd donate to an ETS fund for.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Our dog died today, she was 18.
    This week has been extra fucked. My girlfriend's Chihuahua that she's had for 5 years was missing yesterday, then she got a call from the vet and he's dead, run over.

I feel numb really. Shit like this always happens around Christmas time.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    This week has been extra fucked. My girlfriend's Chihuahua that she's had for 5 years was missing yesterday, then she got a call from the vet and he's dead, run over.

I feel numb really. Shit like this always happens around Christmas time.
    sorry to hear about both of those poor doggies, its tough when its something sudden like that. At work we call the time between thanksgiving and Christmas "euthanasia season" because so many people put down their old and decrepit pets before the holidays so their families don't see them in such a sorry state. We put about 25 animals to sleep this past week, usual numbers are 3-5 per week. We lost some very special long term patients which were especially hard on everybody. bBut one month from now the clinic will be flooded with Christmas puppies so at least I have that to look forward to.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Broke up with my partner today, I feel like a right cunt for it but I just didn't feel the same way about her as she did for me.
    Figured it was the right thing to do, but guess I probably could have delivered it better.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Rough, bro, sorry to hear.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    There's this girl that I met about four years ago at a gig I was playing, and we immediately hit it off. Unfortunately, we weren't able to date no matter how much we wanted to. Fast-forward to Saturday night, if you will... She comes to a show to see me and the band play, then goes back to my guitar player's house with us to hang out after the show. He's been trying to convince her to break up with her ass-hat boyfriend and go out with me for weeks, and he was hoping that this would be the final step.
    So we get there and she immediately gets drunk and giggly and all that fun stuff. Throughout the course of the night it comes to light that she decided to get over me at one point, so she did, and now I've been friendzoned. And yes, that was the actual word she used. Not only that, she now has the hots for my goddamn guitar player (because of fucking course) and was hitting on him, sitting on his lap and trying to cuddle with him all night, and she eventually passed out on the couch in his lap. And she kept asking him all night if he was attracted to her and likes her as more than a friend, and I could tell how awkward it was getting for him and how bad he felt for me. He refused to answer and was still trying to steer her toward me.
    He and I tried to have a good time together, but unfortunately my friend just made it an incredibly awkward, embarrassing and depressing night. But I'm still attracted to her and I'm still glad I know her in the first place. But still, that shit was fucked up on many levels, and you're only getting she extremely abridged version of it.

And if you're wondering, even if she had been coming on to me all night, I wouldn't have actually done anything if she was still with her current boyfriend. He's a complete twat, but I still wouldn't do anything with someone who was already in a relationship.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    disregard!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Real scared I'll be out of my job by the time Christmas rolls around.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

How fucked was your day?

Worst fucking headache I've had in years. Glad it seems to be letting up.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nothing8 View Post
    Real scared I'll be out of my job by the time Christmas rolls around.
    So I didn't end up losing my job, but today my boss was made redundant. That leaves me in limbo until they announce the new company structure on Wednesday.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    A bit over a month ago my great-grandmother died and today my great-grandfather died. Kinda shit stuff but both of them were quite expected.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    ^I'm sorry.

One of my students hit me in the face today which knocked my Prada sunglasses off and landed on the concrete. Needless to say, I got a few scratches on the lenses. I know, first world problems. But I'm pissed. Those sunglasses were my mother's day gift for myself.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    So I went and spoke to the managing director today. I confirmed that I still have a job, they just weren't able to tell me whether it'll still be where I am now (working in the city where I aimed to be from when I started working with the company), or whether I'll be shipped back to the office I started in (not where I want to be, where I gladly escaped after successfully applying for my current- well, previous role). All will be revealed tomorrow.

Might even just start looking for a new job elsewhere, irrespective of what does come from tomorrow.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmingly Miserable View Post
    ^I'm sorry.

One of my students hit me in the face today which knocked my Prada sunglasses off and landed on the concrete. Needless to say, I got a few scratches on the lenses. I know, first world problems. But I'm pissed. Those sunglasses were my mother's day gift for myself.
    Sucks about your sunglasses but wow...hit in the face by a student? Why?? Sounds like you're OK but..yikes!

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    first thing this morning, while still crawling out of the arms of glorious sleep, i find out that someone very close to me FINALLY confessed their infidelity to someone else very close to me.
    then i found out my 12 year old son, who appears to be entering the golden age of hormones AND has aspergers syndrome, is on his 3rd week of being a total fuck to girls in his class. he is being beyond a dink. i cannot seem to get through to him that a) he is bullying and b) he isn't funny to anyone outside his own mind and c) he is a pubic hair away from losing anything that has meaning to him (and trust me, there is NOT a lot that matters to this boy). he is usually pretty good once you can get him into someone else's shoes, in terms of perspective, but i cannot do it this time. and gods forbid you say anything that hints at the possibility that he is interested in girls. and, oh ugh, the worst is that i guarantee that 99% of what he is saying and doing is based on something he watched or read. LIFE ISN'T AN EPISODE OF FUCKING SUITE LIFE, DUDE.
    then i drop off pizza lunch to the 6 year old son and catch him getting in trouble for not listening in class...he was in the middle of art work, which he loves, and i guess he didn't want to stop...THEN he gets in trouble, again, because his idea of tidying up was to shove everything in his desk. i get that the teacher was frustrated, but when he looked at me with teary eyes i wanted to grab him and bring him home.
    now i am supposed to be writing a letter to the school board because i just found out they are changing the education assistants over the christmas holidays. because OBVIOUSLY changing support staff on the kids MID YEAR makes sense for the special education department ??????????? if this was due to illness, or maternity leave, i understand...but you would think that mid year support staff changes would be a no-no.
    for fuck sake.
    FUCK.
    oh yeah, and i am a really REALLY bad cook...but i want my kids to eat well...so i spent hours yesterday making fucking vegetable purees to hide in tomato sauce...put said sauce into lasagna aaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnndddddddddd used too little sauce. while i give props to my dad for still eating it, and the eldest boy (he has no taste buds, of this i am certain), the youngest summed it all up with one single look.
    ok, so we are all healthy and these are my firstworldproblemsboohoohoomadame, but i am fucking majorly bummed out.
    Last edited by Lew; 12-10-2013 at 01:30 PM. Reason: not done whinging.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beef of the Sea View Post
    Broke up with my partner today, I feel like a right cunt for it but I just didn't feel the same way about her as she did for me.
    Figured it was the right thing to do, but guess I probably could have delivered it better.
    you will be both be happier in the long run. you did it right. i know someone who has been wanting to move on for 7 YEARS and couldn't/wouldn't tell their partner...then fell in love with someone else..still wouldn't tell their partner...until the partner actually ASKED them outright...after first denying it and being told "if i find out down the road that you lied it will be much worse", finally confessed it.
    better to be honest the minute you know you no longer want to be together, saves pain and heartache doubling.
    even if you "could have delivered it better", the fact that you DID is commendable.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I just found out that my last group project was no where near what my professor wanted…. It's pretty terrible because I am here at home (3 and 1/2 hours from Greensboro) and I know that my group members are also either currently away from school or working. He said he would give us until Thursday at 11:59am to get it turned back in - completely redone. The original project took us about two or three weeks to do...

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sentient02970 View Post
    Sucks about your sunglasses but wow...hit in the face by a student? Why?? Sounds like you're OK but..yikes!
    I work for a 4th/5th grade special ed classroom. Things like that are typical. Getting hit, bit, slapped, and things like that are nothing shocking in my field.
    Quote Originally Posted by REPLICA View Post
    I just found out that my last group project was no where near what my professor wanted…. It's pretty terrible because I am here at home (3 and 1/2 hours from Greensboro) and I know that my group members are also either currently away from school or working. He said he would give us until Thursday at 11:59am to get it turned back in - completely redone. The original project took us about two or three weeks to do...
    Dude, I totally feel for you. That's why I hate group projects. It has the potential for group members to fuck your grade.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nothing8 View Post
    So I went and spoke to the managing director today. I confirmed that I still have a job, they just weren't able to tell me whether it'll still be where I am now (working in the city where I aimed to be from when I started working with the company), or whether I'll be shipped back to the office I started in (not where I want to be, where I gladly escaped after successfully applying for my current- well, previous role). All will be revealed tomorrow.

Might even just start looking for a new job elsewhere, irrespective of what does come from tomorrow.
    Yeah, so ANOTHER person left the company this morning before the big meeting. Went into said meeting ready to hear my fate and there was absolutely nothing that came from it for me. All we got told is "we realised we fucked up with the initial restructure that sent everyone out of the business so now we're going to readjust everyone so that we have X in this office and Y handled in that office.

This company is unbelievably fucked up. I think I should start seriously looking elsewhere for work, or stay and just gather another 6 months experienceand get the fuck out of there afterwards.

Or just get another degree in something else.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

How fucked was your day?

Just been sent home from work as we found out one of our work coleagues/friends hung himself today, life really is shit for some people when they feel this is the only way out

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew View Post
    first thing this morning, while still crawling out of the arms of glorious sleep, i find out that someone very close to me FINALLY confessed their infidelity to someone else very close to me.
    then i found out my 12 year old son, who appears to be entering the golden age of hormones AND has aspergers syndrome, is on his 3rd week of being a total fuck to girls in his class. he is being beyond a dink. i cannot seem to get through to him that a) he is bullying and b) he isn't funny to anyone outside his own mind and c) he is a pubic hair away from losing anything that has meaning to him (and trust me, there is NOT a lot that matters to this boy). he is usually pretty good once you can get him into someone else's shoes, in terms of perspective, but i cannot do it this time. and gods forbid you say anything that hints at the possibility that he is interested in girls. and, oh ugh, the worst is that i guarantee that 99% of what he is saying and doing is based on something he watched or read. LIFE ISN'T AN EPISODE OF FUCKING SUITE LIFE, DUDE.

now i am supposed to be writing a letter to the school board because i just found out they are changing the education assistants over the christmas holidays. because OBVIOUSLY changing support staff on the kids MID YEAR makes sense for the special education department ??????????? if this was due to illness, or maternity leave, i understand...but you would think that mid year support staff changes would be a no-no.
    for fuck sake.
    FUCK.
    Sorry. I know your frustration. I'm pretty sure you must be pissed at staff changes. I work in special ed and I see the effects on the children that can happen when staff changes. I don't know where you live but my school district doesn't think of things like these when they change staff around. Fortunately, I'm in a permanent spot and my students are well used to me. From what I read, it seems like your son stims off of tv? If so, are his behaviors out of control? Have you thought of a little behavior modification? Or do you feel he doesn't need it? I hope things go better for you and son.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmingly Miserable View Post
    Sorry. I know your frustration. I'm pretty sure you must be pissed at staff changes. I work in special ed and I see the effects on the children that can happen when staff changes. I don't know where you live but my school district doesn't think of things like these when they change staff around. Fortunately, I'm in a permanent spot and my students are well used to me. From what I read, it seems like your son stims off of tv? If so, are his behaviors out of control? Have you thought of a little behavior modification? Or do you feel he doesn't need it? I hope things go better for you and son.
    i am not sure if the job posting, mid year, is a school board thing or a union thing. i am waiting to find out. the e.a. said that it looks like he has a good chance at keeping the position, but since he is pretty much only the second school staff member my son has trusted EVER, and he is very forthcoming with his e.a. i want to do what i can to ensure they keep him. it is hard to make sure the board understands, as well, that yes i am fighting for my son but i am also fighting for EVERY kid who is facing losing their e.a's.
    it is so illogical. these are kids who do not trust easily and have serious issues with transitions. ????? i get that the real world is full of some chaos and we can't keep a bubble around the kids, but when and where you have the ability to accomodate them: DO IT.

as for my boy (lol. he is taller than i am now. weirdest parenting moment yet. he is a techno junkie, not surprisingly. i have found that he takes scenes and dialogue from tv shows or computer games and uses them irl. the hardest part of the girl problems right now is that a) i know he is trying to be cool and b) the girls are fine with him, based on how they are around him after school, but the school is going mental. i get that he has to behave a certain way but i don't understand why context is never part of the equation when it comes to behavioural issues, period. c) i asked his e.a. to explain the double standard in society, because this is a huge part of life he has to try to understand OR try to work with, even if he doesn't understand. in his grade, 7, if a boy does something to a girl the reaction is way different and far more intense than if a girl did the same. inequality rages on! but again, it is part of the social fabric so he has to at least know it exists.
    behaviour modification always hinges on electronics time. we used to have a demerit system, as in he would lose time for behaviour...but i want to turn it around and make it an earning system...as in his good behaviour earns him time. he is old enough, and has come for enough along, that this is actually a good starting point for such a system.
    he used to be wildly out of control, emotionally, until he turned 10. we can reason with him now, and he has come along way in terms of putting himself in another persons shoes/perspective, but he does get angry if you suggest he is behaving like this with girls because he likes them, which is making it difficult to get him to see what he is doing. he thinks he is being funny, and he is a gigantic smart ass.
    thank you for your response, and sorry for the novel i left you in return ;p

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    FUCK IT!! My day has been pretty bad...

First, a friend of mine lost her grandfather today. She says she's ok but I honestly don't know… I asked if I could do anything for her but she said she was fine.

Second, the group project grade came back after turning it in today at 12pm. My group and I made a D on it… AND FOR BONUS, my overall grade dropped from a B+ to a C-. WHAT THE FUCK!!!

Third, I had to pay my tuition but it was cheaper than last year, $5000.

Probably just going to drink my cares away for the next day or two.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaned View Post
    Hey man, you shouldn't feel bummed out. From the sounds of it you're being an awesome parent, so don't sweat it. I'm sure your 12 year old will learn over time, sometimes you can only tell people so much, they've gotta learn it for themselves. I just hope that it happens quickly, but it sounds like you're doing all you can to try and nip it in the bud.
    you made my fucked day into a better day with this. thank you so much. bless you. (i tried to send this yesterday and instead crashed ets. lol. or it was just timely coincidence that it crashed while i was trying to respond to you?)
    Last edited by Lew; 12-13-2013 at 12:07 PM.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    the shit has hit the fan.
    not only was the infidelity finally confessed, but the who the what the why the where and the how.
    caught in the cross fire.
    short of perpetually harassing the cheating party to confess, i don't feel that it is my place or right to tell.
    and now the other party is livid over it.
    if my partner cheated on me, i would NOT want to hear it from someone else. that is how i operate.
    but, as is usually the case in life and questions of morality, i am fairly alone in this belief.
    and this fucked day is likely to turn in to the fucked month.
    worse is knowing both sides in this situation and feeling, personally, that they failed each other overall.
    yes, the cheater deserves some of what is coming, simply because they did not have the courage or respect to end things before starting something else.
    but in context of the entire situation, they both contributed to the long term death of their relationship.
    oh fuck. why do people make things more complicated?
    in situations of failed/failing relationships hurt is inevitable. so is it not better to go with honesty and with an immediate ending?
    i feel sick.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

How fucked was your day?

I assume your friends with both? In that case I agree you did the right thing in not saying, it may seem like a dick move but I've found one ends up being the asshole no matter what if you try and get involved in such things, beyond what your invited into. I've been on both sides if this thing in a way a couple times. What a person does falls on them.

As I've also ended relationships via protracted futile hope and the up front break I agree the later is the best course of action. It's tuff to say which is harder overall but being up front certainly takes more courage.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew View Post
    i am not sure if the job posting, mid year, is a school board thing or a union thing. i am waiting to find out. the e.a. said that it looks like he has a good chance at keeping the position, but since he is pretty much only the second school staff member my son has trusted EVER, and he is very forthcoming with his e.a. i want to do what i can to ensure they keep him. it is hard to make sure the board understands, as well, that yes i am fighting for my son but i am also fighting for EVERY kid who is facing losing their e.a's.
    it is so illogical. these are kids who do not trust easily and have serious issues with transitions. ????? i get that the real world is full of some chaos and we can't keep a bubble around the kids, but when and where you have the ability to accomodate them: DO IT.

as for my boy (lol. he is taller than i am now. weirdest parenting moment yet. he is a techno junkie, not surprisingly. i have found that he takes scenes and dialogue from tv shows or computer games and uses them irl. the hardest part of the girl problems right now is that a) i know he is trying to be cool and b) the girls are fine with him, based on how they are around him after school, but the school is going mental. i get that he has to behave a certain way but i don't understand why context is never part of the equation when it comes to behavioural issues, period. c) i asked his e.a. to explain the double standard in society, because this is a huge part of life he has to try to understand OR try to work with, even if he doesn't understand. in his grade, 7, if a boy does something to a girl the reaction is way different and far more intense than if a girl did the same. inequality rages on! but again, it is part of the social fabric so he has to at least know it exists.
    behaviour modification always hinges on electronics time. we used to have a demerit system, as in he would lose time for behaviour...but i want to turn it around and make it an earning system...as in his good behaviour earns him time. he is old enough, and has come for enough along, that this is actually a good starting point for such a system.
    he used to be wildly out of control, emotionally, until he turned 10. we can reason with him now, and he has come along way in terms of putting himself in another persons shoes/perspective, but he does get angry if you suggest he is behaving like this with girls because he likes them, which is making it difficult to get him to see what he is doing. he thinks he is being funny, and he is a gigantic smart ass.
    thank you for your response, and sorry for the novel i left you in return ;p
    Omg!!! Don't worry! It was not a novel! I understand that behavior modification can hinge on electronics time. With that being said, use his electronics as a reinforcer for good behaviors/staying on tasks/etc. I think you are on a good path on taking away the demerit system. Personally, I don't find that it works with my students and we don't use that. What we use is a token board system where they earn tokens for a desired reinforcer/preferred object (i.e. iPods, computers, etc). I think kids can grasp the concept of earning something rather than having something and then having it taken away.
    PM me if you would like to discuss this even further/collaborate on successful strategies.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Work is still fucked. It's almost Christmas and I'm still doing bullshit work, and still have no idea where I sit within the latest restructuring of the office.