Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Dunno if that's controversial, but as much as I respect the hell out of Year Zero, I just don't like it. I really love that he was doing something so different. I love that he stuck to his concept to the end (for once, alleluiacanIgetanamen). I love the whole surge of enthusiasm and passion and creativity, and in that regard this is quite a special release.

Still don't like it. I don't know, it's soulless, it never kicks in, the spark's not here. Which drives me crazy because whenever I want to make myself a "best of" playlist I get to the point where I think "ugh, gotta put a couple YZ tracks there, fuck..." because my OCD won't let me do without.

On a tangent note : I really, really, realllllllllllllllly couldn't care less about whatever sequel to whatever album. When I heard Hesitation Marks was supposed to be a follow-up to TDS I let out a "why". Same for YZ2. I don't care. Don't want it. I love this band for its ability to constantly bring new stuff to the table, and I hate when artists revisit or expand on known territory after the fact.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    Dunno if that's controversial, but as much as I respect the hell out of Year Zero, I just don't like it. I really love that he was doing something so different. I love that he stuck to his concept to the end (for once, alleluiacanIgetanamen). I love the whole surge of enthusiasm and passion and creativity, and in that regard this is quite a special release.

Still don't like it. I don't know, it's soulless, it never kicks in, the spark's not here. Which drives me crazy because whenever I want to make myself a "best of" playlist I get to the point where I think "ugh, gotta put a couple YZ tracks there, fuck..." because my OCD won't let me do without.

On a tangent note : I really, really, realllllllllllllllly couldn't care less about whatever sequel to whatever album. When I heard Hesitation Marks was supposed to be a follow-up to TDS I let out a "why". Same for YZ2. I don't care. Don't want it. I love this band for its ability to constantly bring new stuff to the table, and I hate when artists revisit or expand on known territory after the fact.
    100% agree. Year Zero still remains my least favorite NIN record by a long shot. As much as I appreciate the creativity and enthusiasm, the end result in terms of story telling / song writing does nothing for me ... as did the ARG, which was surprising at the time considering the team behind The Dark Knight viral marketing was behind it.

To me, the production and just overall sound of the record sounds like GarageBand loops you get that comes with your software and its got some of my least favorite songs / Trent vocal deliveries of all time. Every time I go back to it, I just can't finish it. I appreciate those who love it, and I'm glad you do ... but I'm fine with never revisiting that era again.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    100% agree. Year Zero still remains my least favorite NIN record by a long shot. As much as I appreciate the creativity and enthusiasm, the end result in terms of story telling / song writing does nothing for me ... as did the ARG, which was surprising at the time considering the team behind The Dark Knight viral marketing was behind it.

To me, the production and just overall sound of the record sounds like GarageBand loops you get that comes with your software and its got some of my least favorite songs / Trent vocal deliveries of all time. Every time I go back to it, I just can't finish it. I appreciate those who love it, and I'm glad you do ... but I'm fine with never revisiting that era again.
    Is this Jakes heel turn?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Is this Jakes heel turn?
    LOL! If this is my heel turn, then the seeds have been set since April of 2007.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    LOL! If this is my heel turn, then the seeds have been set since April of 2007.
    Long term story telling haha

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)

Didn’t he record most of it on laptops while on the road? That would explain the GB loops complaint, lol.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Didn’t he record most of it on laptops while on the road? That would explain the GB loops complaint, lol.
    He did! And maybe that's why I can't unshake it, haha. I remember the photo of him and Atticus recording in a hotel room with Trent holding a bass guitar.

But even flow wise — like The Beginning of the End has so much different dynamics and production than the rest of the album that it almost feels like a With Teeth hold over before jumping right into a sharper more sleek sound with Survivalism. I don't know. It just ain't my bag, baby.