Page 86 of 160 FirstFirst ... 36 76 84 85 86 87 88 96 136 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,580 of 4778

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    I have never understood the hate on this one. Its lyrics never seemed drastically different in quality to other PHM beloveds and it has a pretty fantastic, dancy and dirty production. There's a grimy poppiness to it that just does it for me for some reason, and Trent's vocal performance is downright nasty.
    I always felt that it was too much like The Only Time lyrically, which I find the instrumentation of a bit better. Though the Down In It bridge of Kinda I Want To was an interesting surprise.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    "head down" is the best track and the key to everything else
    "burn" is the most ridiculous one by the way.

"And this is not my life
    And there is not a single thing here
    I can recognize
    This is all a dream
    And none of you are real"

against

"I look down there where you're standing
    Flock of sheep out on display
    Saw your lives burned up around you
    I can take it all away

Something inside of me has opened up its eyes
    Why did you put it there did you not realize
    This thing inside of me it screams the loudest sound
    Sometimes i think i could

I'm gonna burn this whole world down"
    Last edited by notsoprettynow; 03-08-2017 at 02:51 PM.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    I have no clue what the post above this one is supposed to be about.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    I have no clue what the post above this one is supposed to be about.
    Not sure if person is smoking a joint or retarded.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Not sure if person is smoking a joint or retarded.

Answer is...

D) All of the above

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    The Perfect Drug/Shake it Off mashup is really, really good and I might actually prefer it to the NIN original.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 03-09-2017 at 07:01 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If NIN sticks to the US/UK-only "Firebrand"-business model and doesn't release through (online-)retailers or record stores anymore, I'll stop spending money on my favorite band.
    Last edited by Henrie_Schnee; 03-09-2017 at 07:53 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Henrie_Schnee View Post
    If NIN sticks to the US/UK-ony "Firebrand"-business model and doesn't release through (online-)retailers or record stores anymore, I'll stop spending money on my favorite band.
    I'm with you on that one. I'd consider still buying digital items but right now there's no way I would purchase something physical from them again.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Came Back Haunted is one of NIN's greatest singles.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Year Zero Remixed is more often than not my favourite album that has been put out by Trent Reznor.
    And I've been a fan since TDS came out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I have never understood the hate on this one. Its lyrics never seemed drastically different in quality to other PHM beloveds and it has a pretty fantastic, dancy and dirty production. There's a grimy poppiness to it that just does it for me for some reason, and Trent's vocal performance is downright nasty.
    Ditto; it's been one of my favorites since I was a little kid. The crazy thing though is that I just found out (and this has probably been mentioned here several times) that it samples two Christmas hip-hop songs. I still can't get over that.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    This should be very controversial with rusted in place NIN fans, but i truly cant enjoy live recording of NIN from before the end 1990's. Somehow i cant get past the sound of a very young voice from a fragile looking man strugling his way trough a performance. Give me the broad muscular Trent with a grown voice, and strong stage presence. radiating stage presence and pure confidence ! (Lights In The Sky, tension, the show with gary neuman, etc.)

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warped_Savant View Post
    Year Zero Remixed is more often than not my favourite album that has been put out by Trent Reznor.
    The only thing that would make the CD version of Y34RZ3R0R3M1X3D better is if it included the amazing Capital G 'Switch' remix.

Edit: I'm kidding, by the way. YZR sucks. At least half of what's on there is generic, and at worst, it's absolute trash. It would have been much better if they had picked their favourite fan remixes from remix.nin.com rather than include garbage like the remixes of Me, I'm Not (don't need to say why), Vessel (slightly tweaked eq and some extra percussion?), and Capital G (just awful).

The first three tracks are freaking godlike, though.
    Last edited by katara; 03-18-2017 at 12:18 PM.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    typing year zero remixed as intended is a chore. nope.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HWB View Post
    Came Back Haunted is one of NIN's greatest singles.
    Those b-sides, man! and the instrumental version is quite the treat

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The only possible merit I could find in it was the data disc. I just can't hear what you're hearing. I feel like it's almost as if strobe light was a real thing when I listen to it.

At least there isn't three remixes of the one song anyway, unlike certain other remix albums I could mention.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by astfgyl View Post
    The only possible merit I could find in it was the data disc. I just can't hear what you're hearing. I feel like it's almost as if strobe light was a real thing when I listen to it.

At least there isn't three remixes of the one song anyway, unlike certain other remix albums I could mention.
    I find pretty much every other album is so influenced by the theme/tone of the rest of it that, although they have great songs, the songs tend to blend into one another a fair bit. No, I'm not saying that they all sound the same, just.... similar in a few different ways.
    Year Zero Remixed all sound so different but still like NIN. There are some that are loud and angry, some are quiet, some take the time to really sprawl out in my brain.
    The Fragile and The Downward Spiral rotate in and out as being my favourite NIN albums as well but these tend to be more influenced by me being in certain moods whereas Year Zero Remixed is a lot more general to me, mood-wise.

Also, because I'm fairly confident most people would disagree with me, "Me, I'm not" by Olof Dreijer is always my favourite song on the album.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    "Me, I'm not" by Olof Dreijer is always my favourite song on the album.
    Oh come on we all know you're just saying that to keep @teitan from calling you a cunt

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I feel like it's almost as if strobe light was a real thing when I listen to it.
    Shit, if that's the case, then I'd hate to hear what you think of Pretty Hate Machine.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I love PHM. There is no way to compare YZR to PHM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    My point is that, if you think Year Zero Remixed sounds like a grossly overwrought pop album, then you must think the synth-pop sounds and sensibilities of Pretty Hate Machine are too much to handle.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Oh come on we all know you're just saying that to keep @teitan from calling you a cunt
    Totally and completely. That's the only thing I think about with every post I make on this board.

(But no, seriously, I love that song. Ignoring that it's supposed to somehow be "Me, I'm Not")

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Detunez View Post
    This should be very controversial with rusted in place NIN fans, but i truly cant enjoy live recording of NIN from before the end 1990's. Somehow i cant get past the sound of a very young voice from a fragile looking man strugling his way trough a performance. Give me the broad muscular Trent with a grown voice, and strong stage presence. radiating stage presence and pure confidence ! (Lights In The Sky, tension, the show with gary neuman, etc.)
    If a person was a fan of NIN in the beginning and that person is still a NIN fan today, that person is certainly not "rusted in".

With that said, I, a few years younger than TR, was also of physical similarity when I first saw a live performance, Lalla '91. My physical similarity has also kept on pace with his through the years. I'm no longer the skinny, somewhat awkward, body and grew into a quite physical presence. Although I may have a larger, possibly impressive, physical presence, in my mind and my thoughts, I am still that young man I was before. In my job as I show others how to do things (a very physically demanding job), I often have to take a second look/thought/reminder that what I'm asking, isn't actually realistic, because my self image and thoughts don't exactly align with my current physical stature (of which, I did not go to the gym or have had the express intentions to increase my strength or size, it's just been a natural course). Now, as I'm rounding out my mid-forties, my strength and power surprises myself, my agility is starting to decline. Agility has always been there for me, taking me above and beyond... and now I'm starting to have to compensate for it's declination. It's a mental thing. There is always a balance of things, and agility is a key factor, mentally... my "balance" (strength/agility) is starting to change and in the last year, I'm slowly starting to feel in decline, although I'm "stronger" than ever.

So, who do you want to see? A young man full of energy? An older man who's "big and strong" but hurts himself if not more or less planted? My answer, neither! I want to see that guy when he has both full out agility and capable strength and just lets it all out, no holds barred style... in the case of tours, that'd be fragility because, let's face it, he was too conscientious to do/be either during the With Teeth tour, and the following tours he's been in subtle decline.

fragility... that is and will be the best tour... coming from a rusting NIN fan :-)
    Last edited by bwary; 03-19-2017 at 02:57 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bwary View Post
    fragility... that is and will be the best tour... coming from a rusting NIN fan :-)
    Interesting story. In the end an intelligent person understands the difference between personal preference and fact. The fact is that there is no correct answer to which NiN era was best as it all depends on the beholder. My mentioning rusted NiN fans was based upon me noticing many self proclaimed NiN fans acting as if the only good, true NiN was the skinny trent era.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Also, because I'm fairly confident most people would disagree with me, "Me, I'm not" by Olof Dreijer is always my favourite song on the album.
    You gotta follow that up with a banger like "I'm Afraid Of Americans (V6)".

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    You gotta follow that up with a banger like "I'm Afraid Of Americans (V6)".
    Nope. Can't stand that version. The buzzing sound is annoying, it has just enough of the original to remind you of it/not sound like an original song and not enough of the original to simply sound like a remix.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    My point is that, if you think Year Zero Remixed sounds like a grossly overwrought pop album, then you must think the synth-pop sounds and sensibilities of Pretty Hate Machine are too much to handle.
    I see what you are getting at, but I was into 80s synth pop before I was ever into NIN. In fact, it was the synth pop sensibilities present in a lot of NIN that got me into it in the first place.

The way I see it, YZR sounds like a compilation put together by lots of different producers (which it is, and that's what I was getting at with the Strobe Light comparison) and PHM sounds like a brilliant album by a single act, so I can't find a way to really compare the two.

I'd rather listen to Maybe Just Once than anything off YZR.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    The way I see it, YZR sounds like a compilation put together by lots of different producers...
    You mean it sounds like a remix record? That's surprising.

I think it complements the original record while also opening up the sonic landscape just a bit, which is what I look for in a remix album. I like the other remix albums, but as much as people rave about Fixed and Further Down The Spiral, I think Things Falling Apart and Year Zero Remixed are more interesting albums overall.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The way I see it, YZR sounds like a compilation put together by lots of different producers (which it is,
    Not the Actual Events

I think it complements the original record while also opening up the sonic landscape just a bit
    That's fair enough and I see what you mean but I find the whole experience of YZR to be very sterile like NIN lite or too safe or something. Must come out and say I don't care much for the original YZ either though, which didn't give the remix much hope.

I bought it when it came out and at the time I was hoping it would be a little more aggressive than the actual album as a sort of counterpoint/companion piece, but the result to my ears came out even weaker than the regular album.

As for the other remix albums my favourite would be Things Falling Apart, and if he had kept the number of Starfuckers remixes down to maybe just once, that one would have been brilliant. I like Fixed and FDTS as well though, but they are all guilty of being patchy at times.

Lastly, an idea just struck me: does anybody here have decent quality versions of the fragile nin.com remixes that they would be willing to share or point me towards? I know they are probably on here somewhere, but it could take me ages searching for them..

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

:v

Alright I got a bunch of shit to say so here we go.

I've only listened to PHM a couple of times and only care for HLAH and SICNH

Broken is my least favorite release

TDS was my first album I ever bought and I condenser it one of the best albums ever made

The Fragile is my 2 favorite, and i prefer Left over right.

When I look at the fragile, i think of Left being more centered around the lyrics and the mood, while right being more involved with the music and texture and experimenting.

TDTWWA (Quiet) is my favorite version of the song.

The port remix is absurdly shit and ruins the song

ILFTJYF is my favorite on Right and is extremely underrated.

Still is my favorite release with the last 3 songs being my favorites.

Leaving Hope is my Fav NIN song of all

I prefer V2 of RWIB

My only favorites off YZ are the last 3 songs.

Ghost 1 is my favorite of the 4 cd's

I don't care much for the slip but i do like 99k/1m and LITS/CR

I've only listened to HM front to back once

I can't take the chours of WIE? seriously, much like WITH THE TEETH----UHHHHHH

Complication is my least fav song.

I used to hate NIN at one point, but I changed my mind when I listened to Hurt, while also having a slight heart attack.

and last but not least, I'm not going to fork over like 200+ dollars to get a vinyl record player, while pay an extra amount just to hear something that's already on the internet. As much as I would like to "take a journey with you" I can do the same with a cd player/radio too. I can take a journey on a CD player too, and it's far more affordable. I gotta eat, pay bills and take care of myself more then getting a expensive vinyl record i could of got for like 30 or 40 dollars on a CD. I hope you don't stop putting out CD's because you might loose some people, I still buy your stuff on cd's and DVD's. You can have a good mix on a CD, just don't clip it/brickwall it. I'd like to keep my speakers working so I can take the journey with you.