Page 19 of 160 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 69 119 ... LastLast

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Hey, I brought some oil and a match!

So, I've read many times here that some people mentioned a Justin Timberlake - Reznor collab, and while I'm not sure how many of those were serious, I'd like to see a TR - wait for it - Lady Gaga collab. She's the only pop artist I respect in some ways, and I thought she's pretty damn similiar to Trent. If you peel off the marketing and diva-machine from her, she's actually a talented human being, who not only have a nice voice, but can play on various musical instruments as well. Just watch any performance by her, where it's only her and a piano. /I know I know, she sucks, etc, it's just as cool to hate her as to like her, so I very rarely make a coming out about my opinion on her. It's almost like talking about religion./

On a sidenote, I'd be happy for even a TR-Mariqueen song, which is more energetic, or Nine Inch Nailish if you'd like to phrase it that way, and both of them sing on it. HTDA is cute and everything, but imagine TR and some chick screaming to Starfuckers! Sadly, the "I'm more open for collaborations, than ever" statement from Rez will probably result in some boring ass, artistic shit. Again. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for every beautiful thing he creates, but I'm kinda sick and tired of that every time he makes something outside of NIN, it is the definition of art, and you can't criticize it, because your body is obviously not ready for something beautiful as that. Hell, even "Past The Mission" (which I like) sounds like a death-metal song compared to his recent outside-of-NIN works. /The one with Karen-O doesn't count, I want both of them to sing/

There we go, 3-4 controversial opinion right there, but I don't feel bad at all, because it could've been worse. Like digging Everything (Autolux) remix, or some other evil stuff.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    On a sidenote, I'd be happy for even a TR-Mariqueen song, which is more energetic, or Nine Inch Nailish if you'd like to phrase it that way, and both of them sing on it. HTDA is cute and everything, but imagine TR and some chick screaming to Starfuckers!
    I mean, you could TRY to be less condescending? Also, what was wrong with the title track on Welcome Oblivion?
    Sadly, the "I'm more open for collaborations, than ever" statement from Rez will probably result in some boring ass, artistic shit. Again. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for every beautiful thing he creates, but I'm kinda sick and tired of that every time he makes something outside of NIN, it is the definition of art, and you can't criticize it, because your body is obviously not ready for something beautiful as that. Hell, even "Past The Mission" (which I like) sounds like a death-metal song compared to his recent outside-of-NIN works.
    So your issue is that ... he's making music too good for you to like it?

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    I mean, you could TRY to be less condescending? Also, what was wrong with the title track on Welcome Oblivion?

You seem upset over peoples controversial nine inch nails opinions in a controversial nine inch nails opinion thread.

Edit: There's that facepalm again. Feels good <3
    Last edited by tony.parente; 09-11-2013 at 09:50 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    You seem upset over peoples controversial nine inch nails opinions in a controversial nine inch nails opinion thread.
    @sheepdean gets defensive of atticus, mariqueen, and HTDA in general...but for good reason. people have been huge dicks on this board about a lot of things regarding them and, when you're truly a fan of something (like all of us are of trent and NIN, but not everyone on here likes HTDA), you don't take it kindly when people are jerks about it. i've done the same thing a few times, especially when people say misogynistic things about mariqueen, as i just won't tolerate that kind of ass-hattery.

not lecturing you, tony...just explaining.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    @sheepdean gets defensive of atticus, mariqueen, and HTDA in general...but for good reason. people have been huge dicks on this board about a lot of things regarding them and, when you're truly a fan of something (like all of us are of trent and NIN, but not everyone on here likes HTDA), you don't take it kindly when people are jerks about it. i've done the same thing a few times, especially when people say misogynistic things about mariqueen, as i just won't tolerate that kind of ass-hattery.

not lecturing you, tony...just explaining.
    But.
    This is the controversial nine inch nails opinion thread.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I don't like the new Sanctified. At all.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GavinCollins420 View Post
    i've actually been waiting for someone to say that (i knew it would happen eventually) so i could ask them to elaborate...so, would you care to do so?

i quite like it, and here's why:
    it's the perfect mashup of sanctified and discipline (not just the ooh ooh oohs...the bassline is rhythmically different, but it's the same notes as discipline, and there are other elements from it, as well), and i love both of those songs.

i'm wondering if that has to do with why you don't like it.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Don't be a dick. You don't have to be so critical and controversial, trent tries really hard.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Don't be a dick. You don't have to be so critical and controversial, trent tries really hard.
    how many people do you think are going to take this post 100% seriously?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Me neither. Also, I never liked Ghosts Piggy (or whatever that one's called).
    As for the reasons why, I have no idea. I just don't like them.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I love the new version of Sanctified. Made me appreciate the original version a lot more, too. But to each his own. I can understand why someone may dislike it, cause it also gets rid of certain elements that make the original great. The original bassline, for instance.

To stay on-topic, I often wish the band would play Closer To God instead of Closer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    I often wish the band would play Closer To God instead of Closer.
    That would be amazing!

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    No, I believe what I said is that he creates "boring" music - it's artistic value is another topic, and there are times i enjoy them as well, but my point is to have more variety outside of NIN. Make something that's not adventurous in a "this song will be even more relaxing, than my previous one", but in a "let's make some noise with someone" way. And preferably with a female, because I've been always curious how would a NIN(-ish) song would sound that way. Imagine something like Sin sung by Trent + [insert female vocalist here].

But yep, this is exactly what I meant, say a word to HTDA/scores and I don't even have to visit museums to meet with pretentous opinions/replies. At least I'm in the right thread.

I see, so if I say HTDA is cute - I don't know when did they switched up cute with shit, but oh well -, I'm being a huge dick, and if I'm labeled a huge dick for something like that, that's not being a huge dick. Riiiight. Actually, I don't mind HTDA, but after this I'm pretty sure I should just not speak about that... there are HTDA songs I don't really like, but then again, sorry, I'm clearly humiliating and not respecting Atticus right there.

When I said some chick, I didn't mean Mariqueen, but I might see your point, I didn't mention she's the greatest female singer ever, so I'm clearly being disrespectful.

Well, I'm glad HTDA has passionate fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Dreamer View Post
    That would be amazing!
    Only with The Only Time breakdown \o/
    Last edited by Volband; 09-11-2013 at 09:44 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Don't get me started on that, please

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    No one said this was the "post your opinion and be fellated for it thread". Controversial opinions are going to cause rebuke, if you don't like it .. don't post in it.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    if you don't like it .. don't post
    Bingo.
    Ten characters.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    No, I believe what I said is that he creates "boring" music - it's artistic value is another topic, and there are times i enjoy them as well, but my point is to have more variety outside of NIN. Make something that's not adventurous in a "this song will be even more relaxing, than my previous one", but in a "let's make some noise with someone" way. And preferably with a female, because I've been always curious how would a NIN(-ish) song would sound that way. Imagine something like Sin sung by Trent + [insert female vocalist here].

But yep, this is exactly what I meant, say a word to HTDA/scores and I don't even have to visit museums to meet with pretentous opinions/replies. At least I'm in the right thread.

I see, so if I say HTDA is cute - I don't know when did they switched up cute with shit, but oh well -, I'm being a huge dick, and if I'm labeled a huge dick for something like that, that's not being a huge dick. Riiiight. Actually, I don't mind HTDA, but after this I'm pretty sure I should just not speak about that... there are HTDA songs I don't really like, but then again, sorry, I'm clearly humiliating and not respecting Atticus right there.

When I said some chick, I didn't mean Mariqueen, but I might see your point, I didn't mention she's the greatest female singer ever, so I'm clearly being disrespectful.

Well, I'm glad HTDA has passionate fans.

god damnit. i wrote a perfectly eloquent reply and the fucking wifi here cut me off before i hit reply, and the text didn't make it through. ugh.

anyway, i basically said that:
    i wasn't calling you a dick, just explaining that people had been dicks in the past
    i didn't think you were necessarily being misogynistic, but that your "some chick" comment may have come across as such
    i don't think mariqueen is the greatest female vocalist ever and i don't expect you to think so either
    i was initially just trying to diffuse the situation so that the discussion could continue

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    i've actually been waiting for someone to say that (i knew it would happen eventually) so i could ask them to elaborate...so, would you care to do so?

it's the perfect mashup of sanctified and discipline (not just the ooh ooh oohs...the bassline is rhythmically different, but it's the same notes as discipline, and there are other elements from it, as well), and i love both of those songs.

I like it myself. But i do wish that it had those electronic, kind of industrial stabs, followed by the guitar chord during the chorus. But again, i still like it the way it is.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    No one said this was the "post your opinion and be fellated for it thread". Controversial opinions are going to cause rebuke, if you don't like it .. don't post in it.
    Oh, I do like it - in fact, I'm somewhat amused by it. I just cleared up some misunderstandings, while adding more controversy, so the controversial "discussion" could continue. And it did.

Bingo.
    Ten characters.
    Same could be said, just the other way around, so pleeeaaase. Posting "if you don't like it don't post" after he just posted an "i don't like it"-post is rather funny. (But that's why I love this thread.)

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Same could be said, just the other way around, so pleeeaaase.
    Fite me irl.

Also The Collector is my favorite track of With Teeth.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Also The Collector is my favorite track of With Teeth.
    i just keep finding reasons to like you. (not being sarcastic)

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    i just keep finding reasons to like you. (not being sarcastic)
    Love you too <3 <3 Spoiler: Total Hetero
    Last edited by tony.parente; 09-11-2013 at 01:54 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Love you too <3 <3 Spoiler: No Homo
    aw, you had to ruin it... (i hate that phrase so much)

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    aw, you had to ruin it... (i hate that phrase so much)
    Fixed it.
    10 char

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I just really, really prefer the original. I totally love the bassline, and the noises in the chorus are part of what makes that song for me. The song doesn't really mesh well for me at all. I guess it's also partly because when I heard they were playing Sanctified on the festival tour I got really excited, and then when I heard the new take on it I was kind of like 'Oh....'

As for it having Discipline mixed into it a bit, give me the actual Discipline any day.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Spoiler: Total Hetero
    Fixed it.
    hahaha that actually made me snort.

you know what i mean, though, right? i mean, i know you were just being goofy, but a lot of dudes are SO INSECURE in their sexuality that they feel the need to preface/postface (didn't know that was the actual antonym of preface) any compliment they pay to someone of the same gender with an assurance that they're definitely not gay. it's just silly.

I just really, really prefer the original. I totally love the bassline, and the noises in the chorus are part of what makes that song for me. The song doesn't really mesh well for me at all. I guess it's also partly because when I heard they were playing Sanctified on the festival tour I got really excited, and then when I heard the new take on it I was kind of like 'Oh....'

As for it having Discipline mixed into it a bit, give me the actual Discipline any day.
    that makes total sense.

i, too love both original versions of those songs (yeah, everyone, suck it! i like discipline, A LOT) and i guess a lot of the nuances of the originals are lost in the melding of the two.

that said, i still enjoy the merger.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Hate closer. (My smoke break at shows)
    Hate NIN fans not wanting to hear broken live. My highlight of the night w/o burn

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Am I really that wrong for thinking that it would be a better idea for first-time fans that are willing to buy Pretty Hate Machine, to get this copy instead? And the price doesn't seem to be a rip-off at all anyway at $8.99, and it's actually stayed under $12.00 even since it came out on Amazon.com in 2011. Which is great to me, because I've seen Best Buy and FYE make it $14.99 to $16.99. (But those where whatever was left from the TVT versions/imports.)

http://www.amazon.com/Pretty-Hate-Ma.../dp/B0052T7J5S

I suppose I also have some sort of nostalgia attached to the regular version as well, and it's kind of a bummer to have seen it get low ratings on Amazon.com, even though I have an idea why that would be so. Oh yeah, and it would be probably controversial for me to say that the louder some from the remastered version makes it sound more like a rock album. (Not that the original isn't rocking by any means of course, especially when blasted.) I suppose this belongs here too. I have also bought the regular version as presents for some acquaintances as presents too.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howdidislipinto View Post
    I know that shouldn't matter, but for years when I talked about NIN the picture I'd try to get across in my head would be, say, the artistry behind The Persistence Of Loss/Leaving Hope... while other people, staring back at me, eyebrow cocked, definitely had the Broken image (and perhaps the fanbase that came along with that) still in their mind.
    @howdidislipinto - I'm sorry for getting this thought out so late, but it occurred to me that I sort of understand where you're coming from even though I still feel completely different about Broken. While it is inevitable for most fans, including most casual listeners to think of Pretty Hate Machine, Broken, and The Downward Spiral, I also think it would be nice if more people were to also think of The Fragile and And All That Could Have Been (Still). I think that's why it was a shame that And All That Could Have Been (Still) wasn't as accessible in actual stores. That side of Nine Inch Nails seems to be a bit underrated and under-appreciated. If that's also what you mean, I'd totally get you too.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 09-14-2013 at 09:34 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I've never liked the live outro to MotP.