Page 126 of 160 FirstFirst ... 26 76 116 124 125 126 127 128 136 ... LastLast
Results 3,751 to 3,780 of 4778

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Not sure if this is controversial but I really wish that some of the album 'singles' were stand alone halos and those songs not be on the albums.

Starfuckers Inc. - I enjoy listening to this song by itself like if it comes on shuffle, but I just don't think it fits into the Fragile very well. This may be the consensus more than controversial from what I have read over the years. I would also remove Complication from TF and add to that halo. The remixes from TFA could then be put into this nice little halo and off of TFA, which would work well as a remix EP with the shorter track list

Came Back Haunted - Same story, I enjoy the song by itself but don't like it on HM

This all makes me think of TPD, which I think works great as a stand alone release (if it includes the original song, not the US version with just the remixes) but I could not see it on a NIN album outside of Lost Highway. I don't mind the placement of the other singles on other albums because they seem to fit with the flow and theme of the album. SF and CBH just seem misplaced

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I want a NIN Greatest Hits

Yes, I know artistic intention and TDN has shown that it's hard to do a fully encompassing album. But trying to show someone a band that has a dozen albums that sound different is very tough, and a retrospective would make life a lot easier. Not everyone wants to deal with 14 minute long songs and weird shrieking instrumentals to get into the band from Twin Peaks.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3killa View Post
    Starfuckers Inc. - I enjoy listening to this song by itself like if it comes on shuffle, but I just don't think it fits into the Fragile very well. This may be the consensus more than controversial from what I have read over the years.
    I feel like Starfuckers Inc. gets a bad wrap. It doesn't bother me on the album now, but I remember when it was a b-side to The Day the World Went Away it was awesome and then I was pretty disappointed when it was actually on the album. Probably would have been better off as a b-side.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Starfuckers gets a bad wrap b/c that chorus is goofy as fuck. So is the Carly Simon refrain. Adding "Inc." to anything in an artistic endeavor is generally a recipe for disaster too (I'm sure there are exceptions, but you know what I mean). Other than that, it's a great song.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    There isn’t much that I question or disagree with Trent Reznor about, but that song really should have been a standalone single and not on the Fragile. It really doesn’t fit thematically. Musically it is fine. The lyrics just don’t seem to click with the rest of the album IMO

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post

Yes, I know artistic intention and TDN has shown that it's hard to do a fully encompassing album. But trying to show someone a band that has a dozen albums that sound different is very tough, and a retrospective would make life a lot easier. Not everyone wants to deal with 14 minute long songs and weird shrieking instrumentals to get into the band from Twin Peaks.
    I think something like this will eventually happen, but only after they finish doing the Definitive Edition remasters on vinyl. That's likely to be the band's first priority now, when it comes to catalogue releases. And then when With Teeth and Year Zero are reissued on vinyl, Interscope would actually be able to license a hits package with consistent artist-approved mastering. They'd probably throw in a few single edits and other rarities, which would give existing fans reason to buy it. If anything that would be timely within the next year to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the band's first recordings.
    Last edited by botley; 01-31-2019 at 10:03 AM.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I think something like this will eventually happen, but only after they finish doing the Definitive Edition remasters on vinyl. That's obviously the band's first priority when it comes to catalogue releases, now. When With Teeth and Year Zero are reissued on vinyl, Interscope would actually be able to license a 1989-2007 hits package with consistent mastering. They'd probably throw in a few single edits and other rarities, which would give existing fans reason to buy it.
    Sooo... soon, right?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Sooo... soon, right?
    I mean, the idea must have come up several times in the last few years. Whether TR & AR will be on board with actually making it happen is anyone's guess.

I suppose they are so busy with other work that it's an annoyance to do a retrospective, but you never know. Most of the work on their end is already done — just a matter of approving art work and agreeing on a final track sequence — but even that takes time. They would probably insist on the physical version(s) being very cool and nicely designed for collectors.

At this point, in 2019 any press coverage for the band is logically going to mention the PHM anniversary, so they may as well embrace it. Get the acknowledging/'celebrating' out of the way, then follow up immediately with something new.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I always liked Starfuckers being on the Fragile. Not to mention you can kinda twist some of the lyrics to being about the protagonist finally deeming themself worthless, but that's too much of a stretch.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

I've just continued updating The Definitive NIN - Singles each time a single comes out. It's at 33 tracks now and includes songs from each release except for Ghosts (since there were no singles from that album) so it feels pretty encompassing. Here it is if you want to use it without looking up all the singles:

1. Down In It
    2. Head Like A Hole
    3. Sin
    4. Wish
    5. Happiness In Slavery
    6. Suck
    7. March Of The Pigs
    8. Closer
    9. Hurt (Quiet)
    10. Dead Souls
    11. Burn
    12. The Perfect Drug
    13. The Day The World Went Away
    14. We're In This Together
    15. Into The Void
    16. Starfuckers, Inc.
    17. Deep
    18. The Hand That Feeds
    19. Only
    20. Every Day Is Exactly The Same
    21. Survivalism
    22. The Good Soldier
    23. Capital G
    24. 1,000,000
    25. Discipline
    26. Echoplex
    27. Came Back Haunted
    28. Copy Of A
    29. Everything
    30. Burning Bright (Field On Fire)
    31. Less Than
    32. This Isn't The Place
    33. God Break Down The Door
    Last edited by zecho; 02-01-2019 at 01:08 PM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    I've just continued updating The Definitive NIN - Singles each time a single comes out. It's at 33 tracks now and includes songs from each release except for Ghosts (since there were no singles from that album) so it feels pretty encompassing. Here it is if you want to use it without looking up all the singles:
    Oh I know, and TDN is kinda neat. But for people who don't want a playlist, who want a CD or who just want something "official"? I'd rather give Echoes to a new Floyd fan than Atom Heart Mother yaknow

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post

1. Down In It
    2. Head Like A Hole
    3. Sin
    4. Wish
    5. Happiness In Slavery
    6. Suck
    7. March Of The Pigs
    8. Closer
    9. Hurt (Quiet)
    10. Dead Souls
    11. Burn
    12. The Perfect Drug
    13. The Day The World Went Away
    14. We're In This Together
    15. Into The Void
    16. Starfuckers, Inc.
    17. Deep
    18. The Hand That Feeds
    19. Only
    20. Every Day Is Exactly The Same
    21. Survivalism
    22. The Good Soldier
    23. Capital G
    24. 1,000,000
    25. Discipline
    26. Echoplex
    27. Came Back Haunted
    28. Copy Of A
    29. Everything
    30. Burning Bright (Field On Fire)
    31. Less Than
    32. This Isn't The Place
    33. God Break Down The Door
    Suck was a single?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Would you like Nin doing a halftime show in a superbowl?
    I can't imagine something like that, but it would be interesting, the production, the setlist

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Suck was a single?
    Good soldier, 1mil, Burning Bright...
    Quote Originally Posted by AThousandDaysBefore View Post
    I can't imagine something like that, but it would be interesting, the production, the setlist
    I think you have to be famous for that

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Fuck no. And fuck the NFL.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Suck was a single?
    I didn't decide what was included in this list, it was an official NIN download that TR kept updated for several years. I only added singles released after Copy of A. Strangely enough, Physical actually was released as a single, but it isn't included.

Good soldier, 1mil, Burning Bright...
    Burning Bright counts. It got it's own "music video" and it was released ahead of the album as a single download. That's a single.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    After what happened with the Grammys, I can’t image Reznor EVER going for something like that.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mauro995 View Post
    First of all, I think that both Trent and the band sounded much better during the Tension tour, Pino Palladino's basslines and the backup vocalists added new layers to the NIN sound, while Lights in the Sky had the Ghost section, that was interesting but I thought that the Tension approach was more daring.
    In terms of production both tours were awesome and it's obvious that Tension wouldn't exist without Lights in the Sky, but the Tension production was much more subtle in my opinion, in a good way, it wasn't about looking at a screen but about elevating the music and the performance. Besides this, it's immersive approach was mindblowing to me, the way they added another screen so that they could create those 3D effects that can be seen specially during the instrumental ending of Disappointed or during Satellite. For me this was the Lights in the Sky production taken to another level.

And regarding the setlist, I like some Hesitation Marks tracks like In Two more than any song on The Slip. And they played Somewhat Damaged during the Tension tour, which is my favorite NIN song ever.
    I have never seen Tension nor LITS live, but i share the opinion about Tension. To me tension was just mind blowing to watch and listen to trough Youtube. The audio, the songs they chose, the new backup singers, and the graphical show all seem so surreal in their execution. Lights in the Sky is nice to watch and listen to but compared to Tension it seems to be a lot more low budget, and a lot less perfectionist. Tension is my all time favourite in terms of the live recorded shows.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    LITS >>> Tension because Josh fucking Freese

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Detunez View Post
    I have never seen Tension nor LITS live, but i share the opinion about Tension. To me tension was just mind blowing to watch and listen to trough Youtube. The audio, the songs they chose, the new backup singers, and the graphical show all seem so surreal in their execution. Lights in the Sky is nice to watch and listen to but compared to Tension it seems to be a lot more low budget, and a lot less perfectionist. Tension is my all time favourite in terms of the live recorded shows.
    Can honestly say I never, ever thought I would see the words “low budget” and “Lights in the Sky” used together in the same sentence.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buzburbank View Post
    Can honestly say I never, ever thought I would see the words “low budget” and “Lights in the Sky” used together in the same sentence.
    Yeah, I mean I guess there’s 5 years in the advancement of technology (ie better screens) and the fact that it was their second rodeo doing a similar production so at times it may look “dated” now. Outside of Satellite and Disappointed there weren’t too many “wow” moments compared to LITS.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buzburbank View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Yeah, I mean I guess there’s 5 years in the advancement of technology (ie better screens) and the fact that it was their second rodeo doing a similar production so at times it may look “dated” now. Outside of Satellite and Disappointed there weren’t too many “wow” moments compared to LITS.
    Yeah i might be horribly wrong on the low budget part but that is what it looks like to me now. Not ignoring the fact that they do not need the entire modern bells and whistles shows, just to sound good. They could perfectly do well on a standard stage. However, L.I.T.S. simply looks as if it is a canvas, a projector pointed at that canvas, and then here and there the drum machine settings panel. 2008 isn't that extremely long ago, technology back then already was more than capable of doing all that including the special controls. they might as well have used WII controllers. lol.

Though don't get me wrong. i am absolutely not hating on the show nor looking down on it.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Memorabilia is not only the worst NIN cover song, but it might be the worst NIN song period.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ltrandazzo View Post
    Memorabilia is not only the worst NIN cover song, but it might be the worst NIN song period.
    I don’t feel that way, but I wonder if it’s because I grew up with it in the 90’s. Did you? Maybe it’s one of those that you had to be there for?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Detunez View Post
    Yeah i might be horribly wrong on the low budget part but that is what it looks like to me now. Not ignoring the fact that they do not need the entire modern bells and whistles shows, just to sound good. They could perfectly do well on a standard stage. However, L.I.T.S. simply looks as if it is a canvas, a projector pointed at that canvas, and then here and there the drum machine settings panel. 2008 isn't that extremely long ago, technology back then already was more than capable of doing all that including the special controls. they might as well have used WII controllers. lol.

Though don't get me wrong. i am absolutely not hating on the show nor looking down on it.
    One thing specifically that looked lower budget in Tension than LITS was the camera system they used to interact with the screens. The screens reacted seemingly instantaneously during LITS, but with a significant delay during Tension. I bring this up because it's the only thing I didn't like about the Tension production, and I actually thought was a glitch of some kind during their first show. To me, it made the effects look significantly less professional than LITS. Still incredible, but not quite on par with what they'd done years before. Everything else was better though.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Madness. Memorabilia is so weird and doesn't follow any sort of traditional structure for long stretches. It also has so much going on. Very unique in the NIN catalog. One of my faves.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Totally disagree. So many great layers on that one. It's like a Willy Wonka-style boat ride through some sort of sexual carnival. I'd take Memorabilia over half the tracks on Pretty Hate Machine.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I love the song, but note-for-note covers aren't super appealing to me, so I generally listen to the original

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    I love the song, but note-for-note covers aren't super appealing to me, so I generally listen to the original
    but then you miss out on "what do your nipples look like?" and who doesn't need more of that in their life?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Memorabilia is amazing! That noisy beat is so damn cool, it's one of my favourites for sure.