Page 120 of 160 FirstFirst ... 20 70 110 118 119 120 121 122 130 ... LastLast
Results 3,571 to 3,600 of 4778

Thread: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    This has GOT to be the last large scale NIN tour or the final tour of NIN as we know it or SOMETHING. These setlists are too fucking crazy, and the multiple nights.
    Sorry for the facepalm but no no! Trent has even addressed this and said we’re not going away

Mentioned
    736 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Sorry for the facepalm but no no! Trent has even addressed this and said we’re not going away
    I know what he said.
    That doesn't change what I think though.

"Not going away" can certainly coexist with what I posted.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    This has GOT to be the last large scale NIN tour or the final tour of NIN as we know it or SOMETHING. These setlists are too fucking crazy, and the multiple nights.
    Maybe Atticus has convinced him to try something new – like he does in the studio – or Trent is simply enjoying playing live again.

Also, Wave Goodbye was nearly ten years ago. I don’t think the motivations for rotating set lists with rarities in them would be the same now as back then. Trent wasn’t even married or a parent when they went out on that tour. He’s a different guy now for sure.

Mentioned
    736 Post(s)
    We shall see. But I'm putting my money on more sporadic live shows going forward, or a hiatus, or a some sort of big change in the way things are presented live, or some combination of any of those things.

SOME kind of change is coming as far as NIN is concerned. That's my bet, anyway.

Edit: this is just my gut feeling, that what is happening now signals some kind of transition. I could certainly be dead wrong. But I've been obsessed with this band for 26 years, and I swear, I feel like I can SENSE things like this now.
    Last edited by elevenism; 10-27-2018 at 11:09 AM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I completely agree. The setlists, the defintive editions of albums, the bringing it all back to the beginning by stripping down the stage and playing with JMC. The content of the trilogy which gazes back to the beginning.

If this isn’t the end of NIN, it is the end of an era. It is the closing of a chapter and whatever comes next will look like nothing we have seen before.

That’s how I understand it.

Mentioned
    736 Post(s)
    Right @Max .

I was actually coming back here to elaborate, and I don't think it's the end of NIN, but I was, honest to god, going to use the same phrases: "end of an era" and "chapter."

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Mostly Trent Reznor solo but I find his score work within the past decade boring as shit. The Tetsuo Theme was the only thing I REALLY liked.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    I completely agree. The setlists, the defintive editions of albums, the bringing it all back to the beginning by stripping down the stage and playing with JMC. The content of the trilogy which gazes back to the beginning.

If this isn’t the end of NIN, it is the end of an era. It is the closing of a chapter and whatever comes next will look like nothing we have seen before.

That’s how I understand it.
    Right @Max .

I was actually coming back here to elaborate, and I don't think it's the end of NIN, but I was, honest to god, going to use the same phrases: "end of an era" and "chapter."
    That's what I've figured as well, especially when considering that the 2010s are almost over. From what I've seen every decade, the chapters open and close at the start and end of each decade anyway, just based on what I've seen with The Fragile for the 1990s and Ghosts I-IV and The Slip for the 2000s. Not The Actual Events, Add Violence and Bad Witch just wrapped it all up rather nicely for the 2010s, as very much expected. It's all been quite the trip, and every beginning and ending is like the way to that station and the final destination. (It just surprised me as an Into The Void reference just popped up in my mind, since it can be looked at that way, at least to me as of now.)
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 10-28-2018 at 11:30 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    AATCHB live just blew the studio version outta of the goddamn water.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustARandomGuy View Post
    I was thinking the same, and I adore the studio version. That is an extremely emotional song and I feel the live version had more true emotion. The synth work (assuming by Atticus) sounded amazing. I was blown away by that added element

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I always feel Trent likes this kind of concerts more than super visuals and big scale concerts, Maybe he just wants a fucking rock band, he is not in charge of everything, he can enjoy more the concerts, and the best part is that he can trust in his bandmates
    I don't know what is happening, I don't know if this is the end of Nine inch nails or the end of an era, I'm happy with every chapter in Nin life, and I'm happy with the present of this band, but the most important thing is that I really feel he is enjoying this part of his life, and this should be the most important thing for him.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Eh, I don't know about that. Maybe if I was actually there when it was played I would feel differently, but based on the recordings, it sounds a little rough around the edges. Then again, I'm the guy that thinks most of the tracks they play are better on the albums. The logistics of playing live sometimes means that things are lost in the process. That's not to say it's a bad thing, but when you have music that's so layered and dense, sometimes you have to lose elements that really make those songs truly memorable.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Ehhhh, that’s cool if people dig AATCHB live but I don’t see how it “blew the studio version out of the water”.

One thing I don’t get is using what sounds like drum tracks during Only for this tour. WTF??? Why not just have Ilan play the drums? That was the weirdest sonic thing during this tour that I personally heard. Also not into any of the Bowie stuff (think I posted that here before).

Great fucking tour for sure though. I think if NIN could sell out arenas, had a big budget, and some new technology would come along (as well as having trust in people like he did with Rob) he would do another high production tour. What he’s doing right now works really good in the venues he’s playing. The lighting, while nothing spectacular, still looks great- particularly the strobe lighting.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    One thing I don’t get is using what sounds like drum tracks during Only for this tour. WTF??? Why not just have Ilan play the drums? That was the weirdest sonic thing during this tour that I personally heard.
    I totally see what you mean. This is also totally just me, but I always thought that Only sounded so much better with drums. (As well as many other NIN songs.)

Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    The lighting, while nothing spectacular, still looks great- particularly the strobe lighting.

It was inevitable... but yeah.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I guess it's a controversial opinion to state that I think live NIN is going absolutely nowhere and I think we will be getting more sooner rather than later

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You know, the EPs were a nice experiment, but I really think the fact these three releases weren't released as one album kind of hurt them, their visibility. They are also supposed to be like one album in three parts, but they don't really go together that well, Bad Witch is especially jarring.

Trent should also make some proper music video to properly advertise Bad Witch, I am sad the album isn't getting that much attention as it should.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    You know, the EPs were a nice experiment, but I really think the fact these three releases weren't released as one album kind of hurt them, their visibility. They are also supposed to be like one album in three parts, but they don't really go together that well, Bad Witch is especially jarring.

Trent should also make some proper music video to properly advertise Bad Witch, I am sad the album isn't getting that much attention as it should.
    I liked the WTF!? aspect of NTAE and its mystery/meaning, then the anticipation for what the next two parts would sound like. Kind of like little clues shedding light on the bigger picture. I agree that there should be some legit music videos, especially for a couple of the Bad Witch songs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Oh yeah, I agree with that, but I don't think it paid off in long-term for the records.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Oh yeah, I agree with that, but I don't think it paid off in long-term for the records.
    Might be more focused on the fans, ya know. They dropped NTAE just like that. For us it feels (felt) good to have each year looking forward to a new piece of the puzzle. The callbacks to Year Zero, this weird blog, all the clues, all of that to redirect us directly the real world and how they see it.

But it's true that in the end, it doesn't feel as huge and sprawling as a single 1 hour long album. It's another way of displaying the art, one piece at a time. Like everything Trent did since Year Zero (except Hesitation Marks), everything feels like an experiment.

Maybe if they released the 3 EPs and then one big album with everything in it it would feel more definitive. Maybe the 3 should have just been "LPs" (and I'm sure Trent would do that if he could do it all again).

All I know is that if they now take 3 years and make one big album, it will be fucking great.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    You know, the EPs were a nice experiment, but I really think the fact these three releases weren't released as one album kind of hurt them, their visibility.
    In what way? I think Trent & Atticus had more press and more interest in what they were doing than they did with Hesitation Marks. Plus, we're talking about a band that has been around for thirty years, and an experimental series of EPs full of challenging music isn't exactly going to set the world on fire, no matter how good they are.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I don't care about the whole world loving NIN or not. That isn't the point. Look around the world and all the dopey stuff going on in the culture. From Trumpism to Dancing with the Stars to YouTube child stars. I'm glad we have this counter-cultural thing here that is not cool. Until the culture is as gritty and angsty as it was in the 90's, forget them.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Having the bass synth from March of the Pigs played live on a bass guitar during the 2013 tour was...stupid.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klyrish View Post
    Having the bass synth from March of the Pigs played live on a bass guitar during the 2013 tour was...stupid.
    Agreed.

Also, the BYIT DVD with the synth before the drums is the best live version.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GavinCollins420 View Post
    Agreed.

Also, the BYIT DVD with the synth before the drums is the best live version.
    My favorite is definitely the version from AATCHB. I don't mind the synth before the drums but my problem with the 2005-2007 renditions of March of the Pigs is that the guitars were almost inaudible during every performance of that song. It's very odd and actually was a problem with numerous songs throughout that touring cycle. Burn is another excellent example of a song that NEEDS extremely loud guitar and it was nowhere to be found with Aaron and Jeordie.

The 2008 and 2009 touring cycles fixed those problems thankfully.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klyrish View Post
    My favorite is definitely the version from AATCHB. I don't mind the synth before the drums but my problem with the 2005-2007 renditions of March of the Pigs is that the guitars were almost inaudible during every performance of that song. It's very odd and actually was a problem with numerous songs throughout that touring cycle. Burn is another excellent example of a song that NEEDS extremely loud guitar and it was nowhere to be found with Aaron and Jeordie.

The 2008 and 2009 touring cycles fixed those problems thankfully.
    Having only seen the BYIT DVD, and never a show from that era, could that be an Aaron North problem or...?

Sounds great on the DVD, but there's obviously the opportunity to edit and master shit there.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GavinCollins420 View Post
    Having only seen the BYIT DVD, and never a show from that era, could that be an Aaron North problem or...?

Sounds great on the DVD, but there's obviously the opportunity to edit and master shit there.
    You're right: the DVD definitely sounds better. I don't know what the deal was because on certain songs the guitar was thick and overpowering (Love is Not Enough, Closer, and Head Like A Hole, for instance) but on others they were so low in the mix there may as well have been no guitars at all. I saw 10 shows in 2005-2006 and it was always an issue. It's noticeable on all of the bootlegs from this time period as well. I wonder if it was a live mixing issue with the soundboard or something.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    So is that why the guitars on the byit somewhat damaged have always bugged me by their relative absence? Was that not overdubbed as heavily as the main show?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The mix on the BYIT DVD is very weird. Especially more noticeable on headphones. It's too direct/straight from the board. AATCHB had the magic of sounding like a live concert but also having that really in-your-face clarity and punch.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    "Came Back Haunted" is one of the best NIN songs of the post-With Teeth era and deserves to be played instead of (the usual) staple "The Hand That Feeds" at every show ever since 2013.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    So is that why the guitars on the byit somewhat damaged have always bugged me by their relative absence? Was that not overdubbed as heavily as the main show?
    Yes! It sounds so thin and hollow! I'm so glad someone else noticed and agreed. I always thought I was being too harsh but seriously, if you compare songs on BYIT to their counterparts on AATCHB, there is a SERIOUS hole from the 2005-2007 lineup. It was hilariously annoying then that when NIN dropped down to only four guys, the guitars were so much louder, thicker, and heavier than with a full five-piece.

Somewhat Damaged is also disappointing from that era because Aaron simply wasn't that great of a guitarist. I loved him and loved the energy he brought as well as his interpretations of many songs, but Somewhat Damaged isn't a song to fuck with. Robin is the only one who can capture that song properly. The little hammer on/off riff he plays while the other guitar just bangs out the 1234 riff is huge and totally absent with Aaron on guitar. Aaron only did the high-pitched part in the second half of the "chorus" or whatever you want to call it before the bridge.