Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Audiophile Mastering Of Hesitation Marks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Audiophile Mastering Of Hesitation Marks

I didn't see a thread on this, so...

"
    Hesitation Marks was mastered in two different ways - the standard, “loud” mastering (which is what you’ll find on the CD, on iTunes, and everywhere else), and also an alternate “audiophile” mastering, which we’re offering as a free download option for anyone who purchases the album through
    http://store.nin.com/
    . For the majority of people, the standard version will be preferable and differences will be difficult to detect. Audiophiles with high-end equipment and an understanding of the mastering process might prefer the alternate version."

Who
    else feels like this will be a whole new listening experience? Can't wait to get the alternate version on FLAC. Hoping I can highjack my brother's hifi system at his house for an hour to hear this on a good stereo system.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    it's being discussed in the album thread...i don't think anyone really felt it needed its own whole thread, as the discussion is inherently linked to the album itself.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    At first glance I thought this was a thread for pedophiles that cut themselves. I don't know why I clicked on it... (runs away)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    it's being discussed in the album thread...i don't think anyone really felt it needed its own whole thread, as the discussion is inherently linked to the album itself.
    ahaha,
    fair enough. i think i was just reacting to the news, because the alternate master sounds like something i'd go apeshit over, and felt the need to make a thread regarding it. i didn't realize until afterwords it was already being discussed on the album thread - should have checked!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OSLIN View Post
    At first glance I thought this was a thread for pedophiles that cut themselves. I don't know why I clicked on it... (runs away)
    Congratulations on the creepiest attempt at a joke I've ever seen.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OSLIN View Post
    you
    just singlehandedly made this thread worthwhile - thank you for that.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RagingBull View Post
    Congratulations on the creepiest attempt at a joke I've ever seen.
    Thanks, I think.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I was going to start a thread too. I think this will deserve its own discussion once we can all A/B listen next week. Should be fun!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howdidislipinto View Post
    I was going to start a thread too. I think this will deserve its own discussion once we can all A/B listen next week. Should be fun!
    yeah, i guess you guys are right. sorry. sometimes i get mad when the board gets cluttered with "unnecessary" threads (like that new bullshit that popped up today), but it's probably worse when a thread gets cluttered up with too much information.

i'm really looking forward to hearing the more true-to-mixing phase versions of the songs. i've never particularly liked the idea of a mastering process that so drastically alters songs, so i was really happy to hear about it.

if you're interested in more people who are using new/alternate mastering techniques (or avoiding mastering altogether, like steven wilson), check out the new rosetta album, which used absolutely no peak limiting.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    All I can say is wow, what a treat. TR always finds ways to impress. Can't wait to hear it.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Already being discussed in the album thread, I'm gonna lock this one down.