Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: Trent Reznor and Belief in God

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I couldn't give two fucks about this. Until Trent puts out a gospel record and starts preaching to me about saving myself, I don't give ANY SHITS what he personally believes. I don't understand why anyone would care.

Ya know, going through rehab and the 12 Steps and such usually ends up doing this to people. And if it works, THAT IS FINE. It is better than doing drugs.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Honestly, Trent really hasn't referenced God any differently that I have... and I promise that I'm not only an atheist (agnostic if you want to be pedantic) but I would actually actively oppose the god depicted in the bible. I mean, how you can you not oppose childish fascistic tyranny of that level? I could see Trent having some uncategorized spiritual belief.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Trent Reznor and Belief in God

Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    What i REALLY wanna know, @allegro , is if THIS:
    was a, how you say, Freudian slip, or a spelling error?
    No, I mean, like pass the basket!! PROFIT!!

(iPhone typo)
    Last edited by allegro; 06-27-2014 at 07:42 AM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Also, is this the thread where I can talk about how Paul was a false prophet and the entire foundation of current Christianity is based mostly on Paul and not a whole lot of Jesus?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Trent Reznor and Belief in God

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    Honestly, Trent really hasn't referenced God any differently that I have... and I promise that I'm not only an atheist (agnostic if you want to be pedantic) but I would actually actively oppose the god depicted in the bible. I mean, how you can you not oppose childish fascistic tyranny of that level? I could see Trent having some uncategorized spiritual belief.
    blah blah blah, you missed the first several pages in here wherein we cited Reznor texts and how he cites the devil in the back of his car, the extent of his sin, madonna / whore, angels bleeding at the tainted touch of his caress, et al., in which Trent Reznor's entire career (or, at least, the first several albums) as a NARRATOR was built on Christian religious traditions, devil vs. angel, etc. NARRATOR. Perhaps unreliable narrator, but narrator.

People tend to put their rock stars on personal pedestals and when they find out that their rock stars don't subscribe to the exact same beliefs because maybe those song lyrics weren't 100% autobiographical, they're strangely shocked. Which is bizarre. It's art. We are to separate the artist from the art. We are to separate ourselves from the artist.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-27-2014 at 07:43 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post

If he starts wearing a cross around his neck I'm out.
    Again NIN would make best Christian music ever! All The Sin on the forum would probably turn into All The Grace though.

NIN is the best always! Everything he does sounds awesome! I'd like to hear a spiritual NIN album, it would be off the chain, tellin ya.
    Last edited by Omega; 06-29-2014 at 03:15 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    He just SAID he believed in God. Why don't we just say he worships Satan and close the book?
    Not sure , he is an artist ..they are very reflective passionate people.So he could believe in a creator use it to channel his passion...or he could be a hedonistic bot ..but if so he would have run out of energy by now.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Whoa, Lazarus thread.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Whoa, Lazarus thread.
    Sometimes miracles should be revoked.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    I must becoming dyslexic or something. I browsed the NIN thread titles and thought this said “Trent Reznor dog”.

Bummer.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    In some situations where we cannot explain something we must include 'God' in the list of possibilities. When studying, discussing, or theorizing the origin of the universe and life scientists will, more often than not, include God in the list of theories. Even though they discuss God, they will lean heavily towards God having no existence or role in anything; but they must still consider the possibility of a creator.

Trent Reznor is well known for his references to God and religion, he can pass blame on God; but he also acknowledges that he is responsible for his misery and failures; as well as other driving factors such as shitty relationships.

After many years of crying to God, TR has discovered the source for his agony; it's not God picking on him; it's a Demon.

No, Trent does not believe in God... its literally a Terrible Lie... but when you are in a dark place or depressed you want to believe that you're not alone and someone or something is watching out for you.

I'm on my hands and knees
    I want so much to believe

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    In some situations where we cannot explain something we must include 'God' in the list of possibilities. When studying, discussing, or theorizing the origin of the universe and life scientists will, more often than not, include God in the list of theories. Even though they discuss God, they will lean heavily towards God having no existence or role in anything; but they must still consider the possibility of a creator.

Trent Reznor is well known for his references to God and religion, he can pass blame on God; but he also acknowledges that he is responsible for his misery and failures; as well as other driving factors such as shitty relationships.

After many years of crying to God, TR has discovered the source for his agony; it's not God picking on him; it's a Demon.

No, Trent does not believe in God... its literally a Terrible Lie... but when you are in a dark place or depressed you want to believe that you're not alone and someone or something is watching out for you.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Demon Seed cleared it up for us; as for God and how he fees it's pretty evident what he believes. He doesn't believe in God but what if... just what if God could fix everything. And why do all of his desires go against what God commands, is there something wrong with me? For gods sake he was raised in a world where everything revolved around God and ensuring you wern't doing wrong in the eyes of God; or else you would end up in hell for eternity. Why is it that everything I do, feel, and believe, is wrong.

As for the reference to astrophysics/science; God or a creator is very much a part of intelligent discussions and the origin of life and this universe. There are many scientists who do not believe in God; but they mention the name quite often.

I know how this will end for me, after over a decade... but ETS has become a place where open discussion is pretty lame.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I don't think we should come to any conclusions about what Trent Reznor or anyone else does or does not believe based on their lyrics over the years. Human beings often change over time. Our thoughts, feelings, and beliefs change over time. His lyrics would suggest that God is something he thinks about and has feelings about over the years. There are times that he expresses anger towards an existing God (Terrible Lie), that God did exist and is now dead (Heresy), that all of reality is only in his mind (Only), then a cry for mercy to an existing God (Zero Sum), expressing a pain over God's apparent absence and regret over past mistakes (Find My Way), and bitterness towards God over the state of the world ("that is if He existed, I'm not sure any more"). We should no more conclude that this is the final word on the subject any more than we should of when he wrote Find My Way.

He expresses authentic emotions and thoughts, like all of us have, which ebb and flow and change with the wind. He has expressed so many different feelings and perspectives that one can find something to support their own worldview if they wish. The same was true of Bowie. Was he a Blackstar? Or was he "Lord I kneel and offer you my word on a wing"? All of it. None of it.

It is for each of us to sort out for ourselves. No matter where we stand, we can appreciate his authenticity and vulnerability and find ourselves able to relate on one level or another. It disappoints me when people draw quick conclusions about someone in either direction, or when people get too judgmental about where someone stands on this. Atheists and Christians can both be judgmental and dogmatic and exasperating. We need a little more humility all around, as we all have blind spots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Welle, Reznor is a lyricist and "God" as an idea is certainly appealing and inspiring. With it come vulnerability, powerlessness and doubt... and self-awereness as an imperfect human being, which might very well be central to the Nin corpus.

Edit: spelling

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    There is no god. Come on. Grow up, and die like all of the rest of us.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I can't believe people are still speculating on this thread.