Page 30 of 72 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 40 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones - Spoilers

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    This does feel like the best season since the first, so much has been happening. But the story's capacity for cruelty is endless, and the end of this episode was ripped straight from my nightmares. I still feel sick from it.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I agree, this show and book has a nasty streak which, to me, isn't that far off from what people do in real life to each other. I think Tyrion's speech about the the cousin smashing beetles was about that, the capacity for cruelty. It does seem like one of the main themes of the show, why we as humans hurt and destroy when given any sort of power.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Millionaire View Post
    I think Tyrion's speech about the the cousin smashing beetles was about that, the capacity for cruelty. It does seem like one of the main themes of the show, why we as humans hurt and destroy when given any sort of power.
    That speech was way too long. I just kept thinking there's under 10 minutes left and we still have to have this Mountain/Viper battle, get on with it!

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Disagree. That might be the most important monologue in Game of Thrones.

@Millionaire , agreed, but I think it's more specific to the mindset of certain people, one which others will never understand or empathise with. The Starks had power within their realm (and beyond towards Ned's end), Varys has some power, Tyrion might be an underdog within his family but the Lannister name still makes him one of the half-dozen most powerful people on the continent. None of them were wantonly cruel.
    Certain cultures bring that sort of behaviour out at its worst, though. Renaissance Italy and feudal Scotland are particularly strong examples, which happen to be Game of Thrones' primary influence.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    This might have been the best episode in the entire series so far. It really was superb from beginning to end, not a dull moment.

Also, this season is the best the show has been since season 1. Not because of what's been happening plot wise, but in the actual writing of the show. I found the last two seasons to be getting progressively "simpler", cutting back or simplyifing conversations and character development in favor of random tits and ass for no reason other than to keep facilitating that the reason people watch the show is for "Sex and Violence" which is absurdly silly.

This seasons been superb, super amped about it.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    @Vertigo , I agree with you. I didn't mean everybody with power was cruel, just some.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    "Where do whores go?"

Reaction videos are starting to crop up.
    That was awesome. I can't decide if this is better. The spelling errors and name calling are tasteless but the level of disappointment is hilarious.
    http://m.tickld.com/x/guy-goes-crazy...e-best-status-

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    This does feel like the best season since the first
    Exactly how I feel. 2 and 3 were good but I thought 1 was easily the strongest but this season is awesome.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    That was awesome. I can't decide if this is better. The spelling errors and name calling are tasteless but the level of disappointment is hilarious.
    http://m.tickld.com/x/guy-goes-crazy...e-best-status-
    I'm shocked they managed to correctly spell "Antarctica".

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    That post was hysterical right up until he shit on Stannis. Stannis is the fucking shit. I do like how specific his "swag rating" was, though.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    "to add salt on a womb". Lost it.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Does anyone else feel that the Game of Thrones TV show is maybe overly heavy on what feels like anti-catharsis? There's a lot to be said for how well written, acted, and plotted it all is -- it's utterly compelling obviously -- but at this point it's really desensitizing. I'm not even sure how crushed I am by the result of last episode's duel since there have been so many comparable moments of defeat. It's rather nihilistic, no? The GoT universe most definitely feels .

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    ...kind of like real world, no?
    That's kind of why I like it, it's unpredictable, it shits on Hollywood conventions and it won't let you relax. That's very rare in TV.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Yesterday, I watched Lord of the Rings - Return of the King on TV. It almost felt like a movie for children. Compared to GoT, it's so harmless....

Also, Game of Thrones now more successful than Sopranos:
    https://twitter.com/GameOfThrones/st...93422700593152

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    So, just never ever expect anything good or uplifting to happen.
    Bran gets lost in the woods and dies of starvation, hodor kills himself..The shame a lonliness was too much
    Jon Snow gets eaten by that cannibal guy
    Arya gets raped and murdered by the hound
    Sansa gets thrown through the moon door by that little kid
    Dany makes an attempt for the iron throne but is crushed by the convergence of Stannis, The Wildlings, The White Walkers, and the Dornish..
    They all kill each completely and the last shot is the iron throne melting in the flames of Kings Landing.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ambergris View Post
    Yesterday, I watched Lord of the Rings - Return of the King on TV. It almost felt like a movie for children. Compared to GoT, it's so harmless....

Also, Game of Thrones now more successful than Sopranos:
    https://twitter.com/GameOfThrones/st...93422700593152
    Im not a big fan of LotR, even though i liked the movies, but when compared to Game of Thrones...i mean, for instance the villains, i can sympathize with the Lannister's cause, or understand where they're coming from, while in LotR it's really hard to care about an 8 feet tall armored guy who can't let go of his ring, else he would die. And his big army of bad ugly orcs, it all comes out as pretty childish really.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    They're products of completely different times, and they're not even really in the same genre. Why are they being compared?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    both have swords, furs and dragons!

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidcalm View Post
    both have swords, furs and dragons!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Well. That's the last time I visit this thread.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    They're products of completely different times, and they're not even really in the same genre. Why are they being compared?
    They're different approaches to the fantasy genre,hence the comparison, imo.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sallos View Post
    Im not a big fan of LotR, even though i liked the movies, but when compared to Game of Thrones...i mean, for instance the villains, i can sympathize with the Lannister's cause, or understand where they're coming from, while in LotR it's really hard to care about an 8 feet tall armored guy who can't let go of his ring, else he would die. And his big army of bad ugly orcs, it all comes out as pretty childish really.
    In real life, it was hard to care about a bunch of ultra-conservative racist warmongering imperialists who wanted to create an Aryan 'utopia'.
    Lord of the Rings isn't a story you take at face value, pretty much everything you're reading has some metaphorical value. It immerses you in the horrors of war and the crushing weight of responsibility, the consuming nature of ambition, and the systematic eradication of bucolic rural existence.

Game of Thrones may be set in a universe strongly inspired by the Europe of Machiavelli's time, and has a fair bit to say about human nature, but ultimately it's 'just' a gripping yarn.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    In real life, it was hard to care about a bunch of ultra-conservative racist warmongering imperialists who wanted to create an Aryan 'utopia'.
    Lord of the Rings isn't a story you take at face value, pretty much everything you're reading has some metaphorical value. It immerses you in the horrors of war and the crushing weight of responsibility, the consuming nature of ambition, and the systematic eradication of bucolic rural existence.

Game of Thrones may be set in a universe strongly inspired by the Europe of Machiavelli's time, and has a fair bit to say about human nature, but ultimately it's 'just' a gripping yarn.
    Again, imo,LotR being insipred by the WWII nazi's Germany doesn't really make a good excuse for uninteresting villain characters.

And now that i think about it, there really aren't that much interesting characters in LotR, neither heroes or villains.
    Last edited by Sallos; 06-08-2014 at 05:58 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    LotR is a fairytale. It's a totally different genre.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    That.

Was.

FANTASTIC.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    "We should've stayed in that cave."

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    All those non-book deaths shocked me.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    This will probably be an unpopular opinion, but....

Meh.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    This will probably be an unpopular opinion, but....

Meh.
    I felt the same. Some of the battle sequences reminded me of Disney rides. I really wish there was less focus on Sam & Gilly. I just don't care that much about them.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I also was a little underwhelmed. Sure, there were good moments and all that, some great camera shots, but I thought they would pack more into this episode. Maybe my expectations were too high or the book simply did it better, I don't know. I think the Battle of Blackwater was an unusually long episode back in Season 2, this one was relatively short. There's so much stuff left for episode 10, I really wonder how they will pack everything in there.