Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Android

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Android

The other phone OS...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The best reason yet to root your phone: to remove Carrier IQ.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Can't wait for MIUI ICS or CM9. All this still on my HTC Inc. Carrier IQ FTW. F Verizon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm using a Samsung Epic, which only just a few weeks ago finally got Gingerbread. I'm running a nice mostly-stock ROM and a very cool ICS theme, and of course, CIQ is removed.

I doubt my phone will ever see Ice Cream Sandwich, but I'm eligible for an upgrade anytime, and looking at the Galaxy Nexus (or whatever it's called now).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I own a Droid Bionic with GO Launcher replacing my homescreen and widget lockscreen replacing my stock lockscreen with the new ICS look.

I definitely think that ICS looks supremely sexy. There's actually a launcher emulating it in the market, but I think I'll wait until my phone gets the real update.

Here's the basic layout of what my homescreen looks like (I like looking at how other people re-organize and create a look for their phones):

Quote Originally Posted by heroicraptor View Post
    Luckily that's only on Sprint phones in the US.
    Last edited by Torgo; 12-01-2011 at 02:47 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Torgo View Post

Luckily that's only on Sprint phones in the US.
    In HTC's statement to the press they mentioned how carrier IQ was required by all us carriers. It's on more then just sprint. Current estimates I have read are putting install numbers around 150 million phones.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I'm waiting on the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. In Canada it comes to Bell next week, but to my carrier in January-ish. Definitely going to check it out in a store first, though. It looks giant! Upgrading from a Motorola Milestone (aka the first Motorola Droid). Anyone on here have hands on with the Samsung Galaxy Nexus?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by heroicraptor View Post
    Not only do I have mine rooted, but I refuse to use OTA software. I have tried a few different ROMs and almost all of them are better than the OTA one. I haven't tried the stock ROM for long, but even that is better than OTA because it doesn't have all the useless shit the carrier/manufacturer think you need.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dogsipod View Post
    In HTC's statement to the press they mentioned how carrier IQ was required by all us carriers. It's on more then just sprint. Current estimates I have read are putting install numbers around 150 million phones.

Hmmm... I had read somewhere that the one US carrier with CIQ was Sprint. At least Verizon has spoken out to say they don't have it and I know my phone definitely doesn't have it (Verizon)... *shrug*

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Torgo View Post
    Hmmm... I had read somewhere that the one US carrier with CIQ was Sprint. At least Verizon has spoken out to say they don't have it and I know my phone definitely doesn't have it (Verizon)... *shrug*
    That may be what they are saying but CIQ, has also come out and said they install their stuff on phones for all us carriers. Right now not enough has been made public to know the extent, I wouldn't be surprised if PR ppl don't start playing "we didn't know they put that on their" card.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Droid X. Apex 2.0 RC4 Gingerbread.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Upgraded my Moto Droid 1.0 to a Moto Razr yesterday. So far, so good.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blassster View Post
    I'm waiting on the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. In Canada it comes to Bell next week, but to my carrier in January-ish. Definitely going to check it out in a store first, though. It looks giant! Upgrading from a Motorola Milestone (aka the first Motorola Droid). Anyone on here have hands on with the Samsung Galaxy Nexus?
    Yup....

I got the chance to play with my Samsung rep's phone and this is the first time I've been impressed with Android. I *might* get rid of my iPhone for this one.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    <pictures of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus>
    I got the chance to play with my Samsung rep's phone and this is the first time I've been impressed with Android. I *might* get rid of my iPhone for this one.....

The only thing I worry about the Galaxy Nexus is the battery life, due to the size of the display and the amount of pixels it has to draw (1280x720 screen!). Can anyone comment on the battery?

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Been playing with the launch kit today at work and the battery life isn't all that great so far I've had about four hours of playing around with it and it's now down to 4% left

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Just got my galaxy nexus. I'm happy

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So the Home/Back/Menu buttons are actually on the screen itself on the Nexus? Interesting.

I like screenshots too. Here's my Sammy Epic, with LauncherPro with an image dock with transparent icons, and a nice ICS theme.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I found out yesterday that the Google Maps app in Android has a bunch of exclusive features (that I previously thought were standard) - such as being able to add layers for traffic and maps you'd created. I felt well smug.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have a Galaxy S, Sprint version (Epic), and I'm debating on whether I should root it. Anyone have any success rooting this particular phone? Any good resources on how to do so without risk of phone implosion? I don't want anything fancy, just stock Android without all the fluff and stuff Samsung packed on (Ice Cream Sandwich if possible).

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    I'm thinking about ditching my iPhone for the Nexus now that I've had the chance to really play with ICS....has anyone run into any issues with their unit? I'd like to hear the pros and cons from someone who actually owns the device before I make the switch

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I've had mine for about a week now and I haven't had any real issues yet. I'm rooting it right now so I plan on checking out some roms soon. Check out galaxynexusforum.com/forum for everything you need to know. Any issues there are with the phone right now should be fixed over time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BipolarMike View Post
    I have a Galaxy S, Sprint version (Epic), and I'm debating on whether I should root it. Anyone have any success rooting this particular phone? Any good resources on how to do so without risk of phone implosion? I don't want anything fancy, just stock Android without all the fluff and stuff Samsung packed on (Ice Cream Sandwich if possible).
    The Epic is an amazing phone, I've had it for over a year and the development is still going strong, there's talk of an official ICS being ported, but that hasn't happened yet. Rooting can be intimidating at first, but once you get the steps down, it's not hard, and if you fuck anything up doing it you can always go back. Just make sure you have a good USB cable. A shitty cable is often the problem when using Odin (the program used to root). The one that came with the phone is shitty, so if it doesn't work you may need to find a better one. HTC and Blackberry make good ones.

Here's a video on how to root:

Here's the rest of his videos for the Epic:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/qbking77...A1788B4D8F9941
    Here's the ICS ROM that has been developed so far, but its a little buggy and I don't think the developer is still working on it:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1340055
    I've tried most ROMs, including ICS. My favorite is CleanGB, which is Gingerbread, but all the Sprint bloatware has been removed:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1344074

You'll have to register with XDA to download many of the files that developers have posted. Good luck, if you run into any questions/problems, send me a message!

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Does anyone know how Verizon rolls out 4G LTE service? I know my area (Vermont) is not yet committed for service yet but yesterday my phone was picking up a solid 4 bar 4G signal for a good 4 hours. Do they test an area first before deploying thereby getting these "preview" signals? Or is my phone just lying to me?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I want this phone to come to Sprint ASAP. 5.3" screen with a stylus? Yes please.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    N/M, I'm an idiot.
    Last edited by Corvus T. Cosmonaut; 02-19-2012 at 03:59 AM.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sentient02970 View Post
    Does anyone know how Verizon rolls out 4G LTE service? I know my area (Vermont) is not yet committed for service yet but yesterday my phone was picking up a solid 4 bar 4G signal for a good 4 hours. Do they test an area first before deploying thereby getting these "preview" signals? Or is my phone just lying to me?
    Yes they normally flip the switch well before they officially announce they are offering 4g in the area. They did this in the Green Bay WI and surrounding areas where I'm from. They are obviously starting in major metropolitan areas first, but also, due to their contract with the NFL, are focusing on team cities and branching out from there.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Google Now...well, not "now" but whenever you get an Android device with Jelly Bean already installed or whenever they make the upgrade available. At least something new to look forward to.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I just picked up a new Samsung s3, my HTC Wildfire was getting me down... seeing as I now have something more powerful than the laptop I'm writing this on in my pocket, are there any decent looking Android games? Otherwise I'm just gonna play emulators on this thing, oh and use the DLNA stuff to watch Adventure Time in bed. I'll probably find something more useful soon.

Also was there an Ouya thread? I backed it just out of curiosity, plus the Onlive stuff is pretty rad.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I just got a Samsung Galaxy S3 today and I'm enjoying it so far. I still can't believe how large in actual size and storage space these phones are getting.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Anyone excited about the Nexus 4? I didn't get the SIII specifically because in the Spring Google announced that they'd be bringing devices come Fall, and thought it wouldn't hurt to wait a couple of months even though my phone is shit.

No LTE or microSD, but the price is right for an otherwise potentially kickass device. Runs Android 4.2, and you'll get OS updates directly from Google. 4.7" screen at 1280x768. Out November 13 on Google Play, unlocked and compatible with many carriers. The lack of LTE is because each carrier has its own implementation of it. I'm awaiting reviews...

$309 cdn for 8gb
    $359 cdn for 16gb

Link:
    https://play.google.com/store/device...d=nexus_4_16gb

They also announced the Nexus 10 on Monday, which is a 10" tablet with 2560x1600 resolution (!) available in the same store in November.
    Last edited by blassster; 10-31-2012 at 08:39 PM.