Page 70 of 137 FirstFirst ... 20 60 68 69 70 71 72 80 120 ... LastLast
Results 2,071 to 2,100 of 4099

Thread: The Marvel Thread - Multiverses and other Shenanigans

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Looks like shit. It's Sony, so I expect shit.

"In association with Marvel" aka even Marvel doesn't want to claim full ownership over this turd so we'll Sony a little name drop instead.

I guess if it's shit, Sony will just sell the rights over to Marvel to remake and have two chances to make money on this property.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Here's my reaction to the Venom trailer....

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    He's got Venom's disturbing and sadistic sense of humor going on, though I'm not wild about the turd line itself. I do like the voice and I'm still pretty excited to see how it turns out.

They're trying to keep his character intact, which is all I ask.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Yeah, I'm honestly (and surprisingly) pleased with the overall look, the CGI, the voice, Tom Hardy's casting, and the darker humor. The turd line is a bit weird, but doesn't really bother me. What does worry me – and always has – is the notion of a Venom movie without the presence of Spider-Man and (as a result) completely changing the origin of the character. Venom's relationship with Spider-Man is so strong that it's an integral part of his identity (I mean, the symbiote and Peter had a shared identity for a while, for fuck's sake). Also, I haven't seen it addressed here, but the rumor is that Spoiler: Woody Harrelson has a cameo as Carnage, who will be the main villain in the planned sequel. I personally was rooting for Jackie Earle Haley to get the role of Cletus Kasady, but Woody is a great actor and I can see him acting insane and deranged, too. I'm interested in seeing how this all pans out.
    Last edited by sonic_discord; 07-31-2018 at 06:09 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Struggling to come up with a word for how bad this looks.
    Oh, it's a dark "Hulk" that eats people... I don't remember Venom eating people.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    Oh, it's a dark "Hulk" that eats people... I don't remember Venom eating people.
    Original "The Hunger" mini-series. Symbiote was going nuts and it actually ate a guy's brain, which was a plot point. Eddie had to hunt it down.

It started doing it again when Mac Gargan wore the symbiote in Thunderbolts, too.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    I am very pleased with the look and feel of Venom and I actually like the trailer. Yet I fear this is going to be another off the formula origin story movie with little connection to anything it all. If it turns out to be a neat little niche film with a beloved character and a true anti-hero this could work out. The three trailers released so far a so different from one another that right now this movie could go downhill or turn out to be really enjoyable for me.

Yet for some reason I am always reminded of the "the Darkness" games and would love Mike Patton to voice venom. Yet Hardy, or at least I suppose its him, does a great job.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    They're trying to keep his character intact, which is all I ask.
    This. Trailer was pretty sick! The look, his voice, the white veins, his sense of humor... This could be a nice little surprise and if a sequel does happen, I guarantee Spiderman will be involved, if not, at least something connecting this universe with one spiderman is a part of.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Is that Michelle Williams? What the fuck is she doing going anywhere near this? Guess she needed some dough.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I'm pretty OK with the trailer. Looks a bit for entertaining with some dark humour injected, and Venom looks like Venom, this could be a lot of fun.

...but this IS Sony so...

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Another thing is that it's yet another comic book movie to have the overused trope of having a villain that's an evil mirror image of the protagonist/hero (or anti-hero in this case). Just like how Iron Man fights a guy in a bigger/weaponized Iron Man suit (Iron Monger and Whiplash), Ant-Man fights a guy with a weaponized Ant-Man suit (Yellow Jacket), green Hulk fights a red Hulk (Abomination), Superman fights another Kryptonian (Zod), Doctor Strange fights an evil wizard (Kaecilius/Mordo), Captain America fights another guy who was given a super soldier serum (Red Skull), etc. Even Logan (which gets away with it because it works as a metaphor for his inner struggles) had a literal clone of the titular character as its "final boss" antagonist (X-24). This is all due in part to the source material, but I can't help but feel that it would have worked better to introduce Venom as a villain first, have him fight Spider-Man, then giving him a bit of redemption and turning him into an anti-hero figure afterwards. It would have established him as a viable threat, given him a nice character arc, and made him a more complex and three-dimensional character. The Terminator is a great comparison. In the first movie, he's a cold killer and he's legitimately scary. But in the second movie, he's been reprogrammed (redeemed) by the protagonists and although he's not quite a hero, he's fighting on the same side as the good guys.

In a perfect world, they would have teased it in Avengers 4 (or a post-credits scene after the movie) by showing the symbiote attaching to Spider-Man and returning to Earth with him (possibly from Titan?). Then have the black costume story-line and introduction of Eddie Brock unfold for the majority of the 2nd Spider-Man movie (without being dragged down and overshadowed by three other villain sub-plots), finally culminating in Parker's rejection of the suit and the subsequent birth of Venom as a villain – one that actually has good motivation for his hatred of Spider-Man (unlike Electro). THEN follow it up with a Venom film where you turn him into a more sympathetic anti-hero. I AM holding out hope that it's a decent and fun movie, though.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    You must not have had this toy as a kid because I did. Also, he threatened it all the time and then did it once.

https://www.cbr.com/did-venom-ever-actually-eat-brains/

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)

OK, this actually looks interesting.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Rumor has it that New Mutants has been shelved.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post
    That's been the rumor for a while. Being delayed (twice) for well over a year (16 months!) was not a good sign. Disney's acquisition of Fox gives that rumor even more credence. It would be a waste to completely shelve it since it looks like it's almost a completed movie and it actually looked pretty decent. Hopefully they at least dump it on Netflix...

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Damn it looked so good!

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post
    Rumor has it that you should attach a link because...

https://www.hotnewhiphop.com/x-men-d...ews.56350.html

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Randazzo View Post

Fair, but if I had attached the link it wouldn't have made much difference.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Dave Bautista threatens to quit if Marvel doesn’t at least use James Gunn’s script for GOTG Vol. 3.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/dave-bautist...l-3-1828138248

“I spoke to Chris Pratt the day after it happened and he’s a bit religious so he wanted time to pray and figure it out, but I was more like: fuck this. This is bullshit. James is one of the kindest, most decent people I’ve met.”

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Just catching up on Cloak & Dagger (just finished ep. 3)... I'm really liking it. Not very familiar with the characters but I am intrigued. In terms of tone, it reminds me of Runaways but it seems even more stylized to resemble comic framing (AoS is good at this as well).

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Randazzo View Post

It seems stupid to shelve a finished film (that also had pretty good early test reactions!) the fact they don't have definite dates anymore lead me to believe Disney's takeover is waiting to fully go through, then they'll implement their vision for the x-men and see if Dark Phoenix and New Mutants fit, and if not they'll just release them early 2019 so they can get on with their versions...maybe (i don't know much about in the industry to be able to back up any of that )

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I wonder if they're also holding on to them for the streaming service? Would be a good get to start it with two completed movies.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I wonder if they're also holding on to them for the streaming service? Would be a good get to start it with two completed movies.
    I was thinking the exact same thing would happen for a while, but it does have an updated theatrical release date of August 2, 2019 according to the article linked above.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Whilst i would agree, Disney's service has already confirmed it'll be a 'family' service and have no R-rated stuff, and New Mutants was very much in the horror category, and was being retooled to be scarier, so i'm not sure it'll even be on it.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Good point. Maybe they can make a Miramax version of the service.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Good point. Maybe they can make a Miramax version of the service.
    With properties like Logan, Deadpool, Alien, Predator, Die Hard, and The X-Files (all acquired from Fox), they're going to need some kind of solution like that.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Unless they continue to have them on Netflix as their 'edgy' partner. With as much as Disney will now own, it seems stupid to launch 2 different streaming services, one for family and one for R rated stuff, to go against Netflix/Amazon...even more so as i expect the R rated stuff will be much thinner on the ground and probably won't feel worth paying for.

...then again WB did just lunch it's streaming service JUST for DC stuff...fucking hell, we're drowning in subscriptions already!

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    With properties like Logan, Deadpool, Alien, Predator, Die Hard, and The X-Files (all acquired from Fox), they're going to need some kind of solution like that.
    This was discussed back in late 2017, but the likely solution involves turning Hulu into the adult service while the Disney streaming would have the current Disney lineup. They basically own a majority of Hulu now.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/12/14/1...-fox-hulu-deal

Also, both New Mutants and Dark Phoenix still have release dates. Anything about the movies moving to a streaming service instead of seeing a theatrical release is pure speculation.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)