Page 35 of 137 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 45 85 135 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 4104

Thread: The Marvel Thread - Multiverses and other Shenanigans

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Here is my full review of Captain America: Civil War: http://thevoid99.blogspot.com/2016/0...civil-war.html

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    I guess I would say my core issue with him is that he lacks the heart that spider man so very badly needs.
    When Tony Stark asks him why he's fighting crime, Peter gives one of the most profound answers to that question I've seen in a movie. We, the viewers know that he's talking about Uncle Ben, but Tony doesn't, and he puts more heart into the superhero genre with those few lines than most movies manage in their entire run time.

It wasn't some bloated speech, but it was touching and you could see the pain behind it. I thought it was very well done actually.
    Last edited by hellospaceboy; 05-08-2016 at 04:37 AM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hellospaceboy View Post
    When Tony Stark asks him why he's fighting crime, Peter gives one of the most profound answers to that question I've seen in a movie. We, the viewers know that he's talking about Uncle Ben, but Tony doesn't, and he puts more heart into the superhero genre with those few lines than most movies manage in their entire run time.

It wasn't some bloated speech, but it was touching and you could see the pain behind it. I thought it was very well done actually.
    It was a paraphrased "with great power comes great responsibility...

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I am far less thrilled by Marvel than most of you here. I dislike a lot of the MCU and rarely find it above average. I had almost zero interest in Civil War but went with a friend since the reaction had been so positive, but still expected an Ant-Man situation where everyone loved it but I found it miserable.

... and I was happily, blissfully wrong. It's the most I've ever enjoyed one of these movies. Spidey was great. Black Panther was great. The story was consistent and smart. The conflicts made sense and everyone was balanced and at their best (and best at their worst). The fights were incredible and the effects were smooth and not distracting (the opening for Ultron looked like a PS3 cutscene and I hated it). When Wanda propelled Cap up to the window at the beginning? Amazing. In general I could gush so much but it's safe to say it's beaten Iron Man 1 as my favorite Marvel movie (MCU or otherwise) and the Russo brothers are Marvel's greatest asset.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Finally saw Captain America: Civil War like 10 times yesterday, lol.

Can we talk about the fact that "homecoming" is one of The Winter Soldier's trigger words?

Can't help but wonder if that means the MCU might go for the Russian spies angle with Peter's missing parents.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hellospaceboy View Post

Really dug this part too.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Civil War was so perfect. Pretty much how I feel about Marvel at this point:

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Well, i enjoyed this movie. But its the same ol same ol from marvel.

Spidey and panther, show stealers. Jokes werent as lame. The fight between cap and iron man was my highlight. Its a cool movie, but I came out of it feeling underwhelmed.

I think it has to do wth that formula marvel is known for, I think its time to change it up or am I just sick of the same fucking characters? And as a comic book "nerd", I never thought I would say that.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I have to say, Black Panthers entrance was probably the coolest ever in a Marvel film. The movie dragged a little bit after the first fight scene, but man... There are no words for the action in this film. I found it real funny to see the avengers living like roommates pretty much and humanizing some of them. The scene where they cut to Vision making dinner was hilarious, and seeing him in people clothes just had me cracking up. I think Guardians is still my favorite MCU film, but this comes really close.

I think they did Spider-Man so much justice, and to see him slinging around and showing off how strong he truly is was fantastic. I like Marvel taking the younger approach. They made Aunt Mae much younger and I give them credit for changing it up a bit. Starting him off younger will only let the audience watch him form into a much smarter and versatile Spidey in the future.

My top 5 right now would be :
    1. Guardians Of The Galaxy
    2. The Avengers
    3. Iron Man
    4. Winter Soldier
    5. Civil War
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 05-11-2016 at 02:54 PM.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    I gotta say that this film didn't make much of an impact on me during its runtime. @Self.Destructive.Pattern is right about Black Panther. Very cool intro, character and formidability.

As for much of everything else... it was just light... light, low-impact stuff that I didn't connect with. This felt like the most boring of all the Marvel films. It really dragged for large portions of time. Here's what it is: The lulls in the action kill the momentum of the film (imo) and this makes it feel disconnected in some ways.

The story kind of makes mistakes from the Avengers seem excusable and justifiable "for the greater good". At least the X Men have a school where they train to control their powers properly.

Some of the action was good...(Spiderman VS. the other super heroes, Ant Man doing some wacky stuff, the intro action sequence was pretty cool, also Cap and Bucky beating the shit out of dozens of SWAT police in a stairwell).

This may sound like blasphemy to some fans, but I'd say Avengers 2 was much more entertaining.

Here's my top 5 Marvel films:
    Iron Man 1
    Avengers
    Captain America: Winter Soldier
    Ant Man
    Avengers 2 or Guardians Of The Galaxy
    Last edited by cashpiles (closed); 05-11-2016 at 04:28 PM.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    This was the best Spider Man film so far

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cashpiles View Post
    The story kind of makes mistakes from the Avengers seem excusable and justifiable "for the greater good".
    wait, what? i feel like the entire film was about Cap (and his team) fighting AGAINST their own for more selfish reasons, rather than for the greater good. and it was about how all of their actions DO have huge consequences. that's the whole point of the sokkovia accords. they've fucked up too much for the world to just blindly trust them any more. they can barely even trust each other any more.

i saw the movie yesterday and enjoyed every second of it. i didn't cry as much as i thought i would, but i still cried a little bit. my friend who came with me said he's fairly certain that, at this point, it's his favorite MCU film.

also, last night's Agents of SHIELD picks up where Civil War left off, with lots of talk about the Sokkovia Accords and how that's affecting things.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Winter Soldier
    Iron Man
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    Avengers
    Civil War

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Let's face it: Scott Lang is all of us meeting and fighting with the Avengers for the first time.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    ^^
    Absolutely. I would most definitely get the impulse to feel Cap too. A lot.

And about that Empire article: it was very clear to me that when Cap dropped the shield, he let go of being Captain America. Even with all the other characters that sometimes made the movie feel like it was Avengers 2.5 Civil War, to me, is very much a Steve Rogers movie.

I still can't get over that scene. And the fight that follows is heartbreaking. So many feels...

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    wait, what? i feel like the entire film was about Cap (and his team) fighting AGAINST their own for more selfish reasons, rather than for the greater good. and it was about how all of their actions DO have huge consequences. that's the whole point of the sokkovia accords. they've fucked up too much for the world to just blindly trust them any more. they can barely even trust each other any more.

i saw the movie yesterday and enjoyed every second of it. i didn't cry as much as i thought i would, but i still cried a little bit. my friend who came with me said he's fairly certain that, at this point, it's his favorite MCU film.

also, last night's Agents of SHIELD picks up where Civil War left off, with lots of talk about the Sokkovia Accords and how that's affecting things.
    But in the end, Rogers is seen as right in resisting being controlled by any oversight committees. Basically a few of the Avengers spend a couple days of imprisonment as punishment for there war crimes (and only while under the Sokkovia accord). This could be seen as a reflection of American global military policy... repeated references are made to some of the Avengers as "nukes" (in reference to their potential destructive power). The thing this film does is make the Avengers feel enough guilt over collateral damage and innocent deaths to split the team up for a period of time. In the end though, the Avengers are yet again fully autonomous. And the film world's UN and the people of the world just have to hope that the Avengers "try" to reduce accidental innocent deaths. We see that the issue has had an impact on the Avengers...but will any changes be made? I guess we'll have to wait and see for the next installment...

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Funny how Secretary Ross didn't show footage of Abomination in Harlem. Oh, wait.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    Funny how Secretary Ross didn't show footage of Abomination in Harlem. Oh, wait.
    I remember him talking about having a triple bypass so if he comes face-to-face with the Hulk? Will he croak this time around?

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Are we doing top 5 lists?

This is mine:

1. Civil War
    2. Iron Man
    3. Guardians of the Galaxy
    4. Winter Soldier
    5. Iron Man 3

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    1. Guardians Of The Galaxy
    2. Civil War
    3. Winter Soldier
    4. The Avengers
    5. Iron Man / Iron Man 3 (tie)

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Spoilers but a pretty good list of Easter eggs: http://www.screengeek.net/2016/05/08...gs-you-missed/

The reason why Nick furry wasn't in Civil War: http://www.screengeek.net/2016/05/11...-in-civil-war/

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    ^^
    Absolutely. I would most definitely get the impulse to feel Cap too. A lot.

And about that Empire article: it was very clear to me that when Cap dropped the shield, he let go of being Captain America. Even with all the other characters that sometimes made the movie feel like it was Avengers 2.5 Civil War, to me, is very much a Steve Rogers movie.

I still can't get over that scene. And the fight that follows is heartbreaking. So many feels...
    As soon as the footage came up, I kept whispering to myself, "Fuuuuuck."

"I remember all of them." *cries*

Everyone in this movie is suffering from PTSD but I have to give Bucky Barnes props for even just making it day by day. All that guilt and paranoia just eating away at him.

-----------------
    I hope this is Steve's outfit in the next movie.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I mean, you all understand the REAL reason he wasn't in the movie right?

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    I mean, you all understand the REAL reason he wasn't in the movie right?
    Budget reasons? Or did Sam Jackson's contract expire?

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    They already signed Samuel L. Jackson to a legendary nine-movie deal and got a few freebies out of him along the way, too...plus, the MCU is KILLING IT with critical reception and making bank, not to mention that Fiege's been promoted to basically run the whole thing with no interference and SLJ's a huge comic nerd, crazily prolific, and even kicked the whole thing off by letting them use his likeness in "The Ultimates" in the first place.

I'm sure they'll work something out and we'll still see PLENTY more Fury in future films.

In the meantime, his current absence makes sense story-wise and the comments from the writers make some interesting, good points, too.

Sounds like a non-issue to me right now.

:)