Page 130 of 136 FirstFirst ... 30 80 120 128 129 130 131 132 ... LastLast
Results 3,871 to 3,900 of 4099

Thread: The Marvel Thread - Multiverses and other Shenanigans

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Color me, excited! Oscar Isaac just killing it lately. Love that he asked for them to not make his role "Boring" for reprising his role as Spidey 2099 lol. Cannot wait to see what they do with him.

Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 12-13-2022 at 11:37 AM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Damn them for putting Stan in that trailer.

Looks great, I wish the rest of Sony was this involved in Spider-Man.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Damn them for putting Stan in that trailer.

Looks great, I wish the rest of Sony was this involved in Spider-Man.
    Seriously!

It is my favorite rendition of Spider-Man and the universe to date. Unlimited Spidey is also making an appearance along with the countless others. Just love the attention to detail, and the animation is severely hard to beat.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I like that trailer alot. I think it has elements to it that will appeal to casuals more than the first trailer as well. Lays out the stakes pretty clearly too.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Finally watched Wakanda Forever...

I liked it.

I certainly cared more about the outcome than Aquaman.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I think you meant to link to the new one.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I think you meant to link to the new one.

don't tell me how to live my life.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Sounds like they're finally going to slowdown the output I response to cultural fatigue, but what I'm not seeing in the discourse is that, to me, it isn't just the quality and quantity of these movies, they're just also all the time fishing these characters from the corners of obscurity, now. And I get that they've had success there with Guardians of the Galaxy, for instance, but they haven't been able to make that light ing strike again. And while I love a lot of these characters in the comics, the phase 4 slate is littered with puzzling and unexciting names compared to the characters that come before and still haven't been used.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    While there are some very cool things to like in Quantumania, it falls very flat. The first two movies I adore, due to its slapstick humor and refreshing detour from the bigger films. The new installment is completely stripped of that, with some glimpses here and there, but kind of a shame it is a bridge to the grand scheme of things. Simply, the writing and directing is just not up to par with the first two.

Paul Rudd, Rudds, with everything else being uninspired, revolution fodder. It literally felt like I was watching Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker at times, and that is not a good thing. The formula of a big war at the end, and giving the same exact motivating speech over and over is now becoming laughable at this point.

Jonathan Majors brings it though, and thankfully showcases enough for something exciting to look forward to with him in future installments. He was my favorite part about the movie.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 02-17-2023 at 03:51 PM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I actually liked this one more than any of the phase 4 movies except for Spider-Man. I felt like they managed the balancing act of humor and seriousness and scale that they couldn't pull off in the other movies. It was frustrating that they dropped almost all of the supporting cast, and worst of all the wasp is still a blank slate with little to do and no dimension, despite ample opportunity to make her more fun and give her more depth. I agree that Majors really brings it. He has so much talent and I'm excited to see more of him in basically anything. That part of Quantumania made it work for me. There's a sense the stakes are so lofty that they're impossible to understand, and maybe this Kang is one of the good ones! And yet it's still easy also to connect with Scott Lang if for no other reason than he is Paul Rudd
    Last edited by Wretchedest; 02-17-2023 at 06:15 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    I actually liked this one more than any of the phase 4 movies except for Spider-Man. I felt like they managed the balancing act of humor and seriousness and scale that they couldn't pull off in the other movies. It was frustrating that they dropped almost all of the supporting cast, and worst of all the wasp is still a blank slate with little to do and no dimension, despite ample opportunity to make her more fun and give her more depth. I agree that Majors really brings it. He has so much talent and I'm excited to see more of him in basically anything. That part of Quantumania made it work for me. There's a sense the stakes are so lofty that they're impossible to understand, and maybe this Kang is one of the good ones! And yet it's still easy also to connect with Scott Lang if for no other reason than he is Paul Rudd
    I definitely enjoyed myself for the most part, but I cannot say this was better than any of those Phase 4 movies, except for Black Widow and maybe Enternals which was much more interesting imo, but very uneven. I do like that it still seperates itself from the pack with its setting. Edit: Forgot about Wakanda Forever... Definitely liked Ant-Man over that one.

Spoiler: But Majors, man... I just wanted more from, well, them!

I totally agree with The Wasp. When I read the title again, I kept forgetting her name was attached to it, and this was a good opportunity to add some more to her character, but Cassie being in there really left no room for that, and I thought she was the weakest character in the entire movie. The Wasp is always just kinda there, but I thought they gave Hank a decent amount of great one-liners and some memorable moments. However, I do miss the rest of the supporting cast.

What I found sort of ridiculous, was how long Janet kept this vital piece of information from them after everything that just previously happened in Phase 4 lol...
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 02-17-2023 at 09:55 PM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    I definitely enjoyed myself for the most part, but I cannot say this was better than any of those Phase 4 movies, except for Black Widow and maybe Enternals which was much more interesting imo, but very uneven. I do like that it still seperates itself from the pack with its setting. Edit: Forgot about Wakanda Forever... Definitely liked Ant-Man over that one.

Spoiler: But Majors, man... I just wanted more from, well, them!

I totally agree with The Wasp. When I read the title again, I kept forgetting her name was attached to it, and this was a good opportunity to add some more to her character, but Cassie being in there really left no room for that, and I thought she was the weakest character in the entire movie. The Wasp is always just kinda there, but I thought they gave Hank a decent amount of great one-liners and some memorable moments. However, I do miss the rest of the supporting cast.

What I found sort of ridiculous, was how long Janet kept this vital piece of information from them after everything that just previously happened in Phase 4 lol...
    You and I definitely see it a little differently, because I would put Black Widow at the top of phase 4, not counting spider man. although I repeatedly find myself alone in having enjoyed Wakanda Forever was probably the worst out of the bunch, sadly. I also would have like to see Spoiler: Modok live to see another day, but I suspect we will see him again any way I thought that character was very well executed

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    You and I definitely see it a little differently, because I would put Black Widow at the top of phase 4, not counting spider man. although I repeatedly find myself alone in having enjoyed Wakanda Forever was probably the worst out of the bunch, sadly. I also would have like to see Spoiler: Modok live to see another day, but I suspect we will see him again any way I thought that character was very well executed
    Yeaa, Black Widow just came off to me as a tad lazy, and an afterthought. She should have had her own movie in earlier phases imo. Wakanda Forever was all over the place, and while I did enjoy the candid moments and most of the action, it was pretty bad and lackluster compared to the first film with some glaring plot-holes.

Besides Spidey, I would probably put Shang-Chi at the top... Just a very enjoyable movie from top to bottom for me.

Spoiler: MODOK was absolutely ridiculous and I loved every minute of it. Everyone's reaction when they found out it was Darren was gold; they all really pulled it off well.

And to add, the ending of Loki hits completely different after seeing Quantumania!

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    SPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSP OILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOI LERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERS
    SPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSP OILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOI LERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILE RSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERS SPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSP OILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOI LERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILE RSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERS SPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSP OILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOI LERSSPOILERS

this movie was really good. Almost as good as Spiderman 3. Def had things I didn't like but I still had a really good time and love where we go from here. I am a long time comic book reader though, so perhaps I'm biased.

I HIGHLY recommend seeing it in IMAX too. The movie uses scale, size & cool camera angles & pans to it's advantage very well, and seeing it in IMAX only added to that.

I agree that Wasp was in it less than you may have thought going in, but who cares? Lily is a piece of shit anti-vaxxer conspiracy theorist now, so maybe that had something to do with it. And even if it didn't, good...she doesn't deserve more screen time anyway. And she def. had her smart/pivotal moments, like when she was able to get her suit on quickly before being sucked down into the Quantum realm, when she helped Scott right himself when he split into thousands, and when she re-opened the portal near the end.

Other small things that bothered me:

- I thought Cassie was in too prominent a role, & I also thought the dialogue btwn her and her dad/the message or theme they were trying to get across btwn the two of them was SO heavy handed. I felt that this portion of the movie was def. written for younger MCU fans here. Really clumsy.
    - Thought the characters they created in the rebellion that had speaking roles were annoying & forgettable. The rebel woman was a cliche character we've all seen a million times, I found the "holes" creature to be painfully unfunny & forced, and the mind reader dude made no sense to me. Why would this guy who sounds like he's a standard American dude be here, and why does he talk like this?
    - Bill Murray stunt casting was wasted & pointless here. Anyone could have been in that role. If you're gonna use Murray, then write to his advantages. Although he did have one GREAT subtle line that made me laugh really hard.
    - the CGI of Cassie getting sucked down to the Quantum realm was REALLY bad at one point for like 2 seconds. Like, awful. Odd, b/c I felt like the rest of the movie's CGI was pretty good.
    - I agree to the absurdity of Janet not mentioning any of this to them. Kinda ridiculous plot contrivance they did there to get from point A to point B.
    - In previous films, they've talked about the longer you spend in the Quantum realm, the more it can make you nuts/damage you mentally. They mention it here again but only for one specific action/area, but not the Quantum realm itself. Am I missing something? Or should I just not worry about this?

--------------------------
    But overall I really enjoyed the movie:

- I LOVED who ended up really saving the day during the climax of the war. Was surprised by that. This franchise has made really good use of the whole legacy aspect.
    - Michelle Pfeiffer was given alot more to do than I thought she would, and she was great. So cool seeing an actress of her stature being key in am MCU film.
    - JONATHAN MAJORSSSSSSS
    - the amount of effort that went into designing so many different creatures, the world itself, etc. Felt like an episode of Rick & Morty, but this requires so much more effort so hats off to everyone.
    - the multiple Scott Langs/Hope Van Dynes scene was clever
    -

- This franchise knows the Giant-Man stuff works really well for the audience, so they keep going back to it effectively.
    - MODOK was incredible. I knew the character was in it, but I thought it was gonna be a throwaway cameo or whatever. And sure that's not the real MODOK origin, but who gives a shit? Its MODOK, it doesn't matter. The was he was used here was very well done.
    - Victor f'ing Timely! Rama Tut! IMMORTUS!!!!
    - The Kang stuff in Loki just looks better & better the more Kang we get now.

I would love to know how much Baskin Robbins paid for their presence in the film. It was significant.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Hell yes.

edit: And.... decidedly less 'hell yes'.

Last edited by october_midnight; 03-07-2023 at 01:34 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Set pic leaked from Daredevil: Born Again is out there. Potential minor spoiler in it, though.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    This is probably a Very Bad Thing.
    Avengers 5 Lead Actor Accused of 'Vicious' Abusive Behavior by Directors Following Arrest

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    hoping these allegations aren't true, but that seems extremely unlikely. Damn shame. Marvel is now in a pretty tough spot.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Secret Invasion trailer looks great. I watched the New Rockstars breakdown of the trailer and man...people catch a metric ton of shit that flies right by me. Made me even more excited for this.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Looks fun. I laughed at Goose, and are those baby Geese?

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Honest question... I stopped towards the end of Phase 2 (never saw Ant-Man). Is there honestly any point in trying to watch all of these? 31 movies, I dunno how many series, shorts, and about 20 more in production ranging from 2023–TBA for release date.

It's not so much that it seems overwhelming... is the MCU honestly worth it after Phase 2 (as a whole)?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    is the MCU honestly worth it after Phase 2 (as a whole)?
    [sarcasm]Nah, we just talk about it because it's a steaming pile of recycled newsprint.[/sarcasm]

But to properly answer...

Yes.

Look, you either like the stories that MCU puts out or you don't. If you don't, that's fine... but if liked the stuff previous to Ant-Man why not trust the rest? The only thing you'll lose is "time" (and limited money if you don't already have Disney+... oh and The Incredible Hulk isn't on Disney+...)

Personally, I trust in Marvel. I like them all. Even if I don't know the properties all that well, I dig it. Do I have preferences? Sure do. Do I like all the characters? No. Do you have remember everything? Not really, no.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Honest question... I stopped towards the end of Phase 2 (never saw Ant-Man). Is there honestly any point in trying to watch all of these? 31 movies, I dunno how many series, shorts, and about 20 more in production ranging from 2023–TBA for release date.

It's not so much that it seems overwhelming... is the MCU honestly worth it after Phase 2 (as a whole)?
    Honestly, i think they have succeeded in making comic book movies that are like... comic books. When i collected comics, there were titles i was going to buy based on what was going on in the series previously and sometimes they drifted into mediocre territory. Sometimes a new writer would come in and there would be a gem, sometimes you'd miss a great run on a book you weren't into and then come back to it later when you heard about it. Even after i stopped going to the comic shop to buy comics every week, i occasionally grab a collected edition of something i heard is good. I feel like it's the same with MCU. if you're still all in you have to be ready for a clunker now and again and also to be pleasantly surprized sometimes. If you fell off a while back you can also just check one out when you've heard it's great.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by talkingnothing View Post
    Even after i stopped going to the comic shop to buy comics every week, i occasionally grab a collected edition of something i heard is good. I feel like it's the same with MCU.
    I still do this as well. That's a great way to look at it.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

100% worth it. There's a real reason Infinity War/Endgame were a worldwide cultural moment. Those, alongside Jaws, Star Wars, Jurassic Park & LotR, are peak blockbuster action/sci-fi/fantasy movies to me.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    After everything over the last couple of months maybe they should just take a year off from all things marvel? take their time with Blade, Fantastic Four, everything. Just get out what's out - taking the time on the effects for once - and then just slow it all down so there's room to breath. There's no reason to continue three movies a year plus shows.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    After everything over the last couple of months maybe they should just take a year off from all things marvel? take their time with Blade, Fantastic Four, everything. Just get out what's out - taking the time on the effects for once - and then just slow it all down so there's room to breath. There's no reason to continue three movies a year plus shows.
    Agreed. I'm burned out at the moment with Marvel.
    I've been keeping tabs, but it needs a break. Now I just wait until they release digitally, unless it's something a really, REALLY want to see.

After being absolutely disappointed with Ant-Man, it was the nail in the coffin for me. I'll catch up with my girl once more stuff is released, and pick it up from there.

The formula also needs to be changed. While The Marvels does look like a lot of fun, the stakes need to be raised again in a more serious tone, and rid of the bubble gum goofiness.

Multiverse of Madness, Eternals, and No Way Home did his pretty well, but this latest phase feels very disjointed, and doesn't flow well at all with what is going on. For me, the Disney+ shows adds to this, and It feels like a chore now.