Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Where is the Tapeworm thread?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Iirc, he said something like, with the people involved it should be a 10/10, but it was a 7/10, mediocre. It wasn't bad, just not up to the standard of the 4/5/6/7/8/9/however many people that made it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Iirc, he said something like, with the people involved it should be a 10/10, but it was a 7/10, mediocre. It wasn't bad, just not up to the standard of the 4/5/6/7/8/9/however many people that made it.
    I can understand the statement from his point of view but I also feel these guys 7/10 is still better than pretty much everything else that comes out. Although I am fairly biased towards everyone involved in the project.

i will still hold out hope that we hear something someday.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Denim Chicken View Post
    I can understand the statement from his point of view but I also feel these guys 7/10 is still better than pretty much everything else that comes out. Although I am fairly biased towards everyone involved in the project.

i will still hold out hope that we hear something someday.
    if the guy who felt comfortable releasing the Deep video thinks something wasn't good enough to release, I'm going to trust him on that

(note: I fucking love Deep, the song.)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    if the guy who felt comfortable releasing the Deep video thinks something wasn't good enough to release, I'm going to trust him on that

(note: I fucking love Deep, the song.)
    Touché.

Damn 10 character minimum.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Wasn't Chino from Deftones supposed to be involved at some point too?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I added a section to ninwiki: http://www.ninwiki.com/Tapeworm#Known_songs

Did I miss any? I believe Danny once mentioned he used some for the Underworld soundtracks but I can't find that source.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Right after that, didn't he say that he was sure that he and mjk would do something that was 10 out of 10 though?
    I have a feeling we'll get the tool/nin collabo before it's all said and done.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Shouldn't there be a photo of Josh Freese drumming in that article?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    with a new NIN album in a month, why in 2013 are we still discussing the rotting corpse that is Tapeworm?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    with a new NIN album in a month, why in 2013 are we still discussing the rotting corpse that is Tapeworm?
    Because of the article linked in the first post, and because it's an important point in NIN history, and because it's a fucking forum where people talk about what they want

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    It's not important at all....It was Danny Lohner's project more than Trent's...

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I'm not gonna lie: even though I know (as discussed above) that it would probably have been a let down, reading the ninwiki entry right now and looking at those pictures and everything makes me sort of super bummed that we don't have an album featuring music from Fragile-era Trent and basically a representative from every band I used to listen to.

I know, I know, I'm stating the obvious, but damn that still sounds like the best thing ever in theory.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    back in the days, in the beginning of the 2000's, i remember that i read an article in a french music magazine (maybe hard force magazine, hard n' heavy or hard rock magazine...doesn't matter) and it was clearly mentioned that Phil Anselmo was one of the singers among others involved in the Tapeworm Project. So his last declarations confirmed this.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    No one's making you read this thread.

When the bean counters count beans, we all get to eat beans.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    No, it wasn't.

And even if it was, I have one big fucking reason it was important: Atticus. Making Tapeworm cemented him as TR's musical partner, and without that we wouldn't have anything from WT onwards sounding how it does (or with Ghosts, OST and HTDA, not even existing).

The whole thing is fascinating, watching a band grow and die without releasing a note from the internet, and this was all done with such rumours and secrecy. The website literally only had 10 photos and no interviews around the time told us anything of importance, so the whole project reached mythical status. I doubt ETS would've been as strong a community without a few people keeping conversations and rumours going, and the constant scouring for information definitely shaped what would happen with the ARG a few years later.

And, as @ItsJustDave said, if you don't like it, no thread is mandatory.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpiusdiamond View Post
    Shouldn't there be a photo of Josh Freese drumming in that article?
    yeah, I distinctly remember a photo of Freese with blurry hands from the sessions

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Because it's a new bit of info and there's nothing else to talk about until another morsel drops from the 2013 NIN plate.

*Opinion disclamer*
    I do think it's funny that the only Puscifer song (Potions) that I can really stand is a Tapeworm track. And I REALLY think it's funny that (without the other guys in Tool) Maynard has to rely on Trent's scraps to make a decent song. Trent was pissed when he played Vacant, so when he wanted (needed) to do it again he claimed it was Trent's wedding present. I can see TR saying, "Wow...thanks?"

I think the Tapeworm project just made Maynard want to be Reznor more than anything...but he's not. He's just has the voice.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    harsh, but pretty accurate.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimatebdp View Post
    Trent was pissed when he played Vacant, so when he wanted (needed) to do it again he claimed it was Trent's wedding present. I can see TR saying, "Wow...thanks?"
    I feel there was an in-joke or something with that, maybe it was Trent's favourite track from the project or something, but there was def more than just "here's a random TW track"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I was excited as anyone during the Tapeworm period. I used to love Maynard, but that has changed over the years. He seems hell-bent on trying to prove that he’s more than just the vocalist of Tool. He refuses to discuss the band that made anyone care about him to begin with and I think he resents that…and now resents the band itself because of it. Napoleon Complex to the extreme!! He has no problem going to the “Tool ATM” for a random tour of the same 15 songs when he needs extra cash and selling his (overpriced) wine to Tool fans, but he doesn’t want to talk about the band or talk to fans…yet fans still worship the guy. It drives me nuts. Obviously, HE is the reason it takes so long between albums. Tool is a democracy and he wants to be a dictator, so he deals with Puscifer more at this point. Seems like the three other guys are just sitting there writing and waiting for him to finally get around to it. Personally, I’d rather have a Tool instrumental album at this point and I bet it would be 10x better than any Puscifer album!!

That being said, I think Maynard is incredibly jealous of Trent’s talent, influence, and position.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I feel like there are a lot of strange accusations in this thread with little to no evidence to support them. It's like some sort of imaginary musician based soap opera of greed, jealousy, and betrayal. It's kind of weird.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    I feel like there are a lot of strange accusations in this thread with little to no evidence to support them. It's like some sort of imaginary musician based soap opera of greed, jealousy, and betrayal. It's kind of weird.
    Not really...just observations from various interviews and articles throughout the years, but I can see how it looks that way. I'd love to be proven right, but it won't happen...unless a juicy behind the music is produced in 20 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Am I reading this wrong or does this mean Trent has been letting himself be hassled relentlessly about something he wasn't even involved in? Eh?

My memory of this (from interviews) was that Tapeworm was initially anounced as being very much like Pigface where lots of artists come in to do vocals (and probably other stuff) on different tracks. Maynard was one of the artists that came in and did Vacant originally. I don't know if it's known how close to completion this album ever came.

At some pointTapeworm apparently shifted focus and became a band of NIN guys (this being what Trent called the democracy) with Maynard as the lead singer. Apparently this would have invloved scrapping most of what ever else was previously recorded under the Tapeworm name. The Maynard album was basically finished. We know this because Trent said as much on the NIN page and even posted a picture with all the track names blured out. In these same posts he said the album was done, Great (or something- I don't remember) and he was very proud of everybody and couldn't wait for us to hear it.

At first the story was that it didn't come out because record labels couldn't get on the same page about it and work out issues (which makes a certain amount of sense since this would have been not long after A Perfect Circle became an abnormally successful side project- so maynards label may have been feeling burned for letting him do that elsewhere- sideprojects don't usually do anywhere near that well).

Then when asked later Trent began saying the record sucked (no further mention of legal/label issues) and wasn't worth releasing.

We were told the record was done years ago. As far as I'm concerned if he really has no intention of ever releasing it, he should leak it. Unless Passive is a 1,000 times better than the studio version of Vacant, or Vacant is the only good song on the album it's got to be worth hearing. Although MJK doesn't seem to be nearly as good a vocalist as he used to be, even at his worst he's better than Trent's wife. We're missing an important part of NIN history here. I wouldn't mind hearing any pre maynard Tapeworm tracks as well.

I hope someday it finally surfaces.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimatebdp View Post
    I was excited as anyone during the Tapeworm period. I used to love Maynard, but that has changed over the years. He seems hell-bent on trying to prove that he’s more than just the vocalist of Tool. He refuses to discuss the band that made anyone care about him to begin with and I think he resents that…and now resents the band itself because of it. Napoleon Complex to the extreme!! He has no problem going to the “Tool ATM” for a random tour of the same 15 songs when he needs extra cash and selling his (overpriced) wine to Tool fans, but he doesn’t want to talk about the band or talk to fans…yet fans still worship the guy. It drives me nuts. Obviously, HE is the reason it takes so long between albums. Tool is a democracy and he wants to be a dictator, so he deals with Puscifer more at this point. Seems like the three other guys are just sitting there writing and waiting for him to finally get around to it. Personally, I’d rather have a Tool instrumental album at this point and I bet it would be 10x better than any Puscifer album!!

That being said, I think Maynard is incredibly jealous of Trent’s talent, influence, and position.
    Agree 110%

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    My interest in Nine Inch Nails really started around 2001 but it wasn't until 2002 where I became an obsessive fan, researching a shit ton of stuff on the band and especially Trent Reznor. I remember the hearing about the whole Tapeworm thing and the first thing that struck me was the name...I mean, like Nine Inch Nails...I think the name "Tapeworm" is especially interesting because it really sticks with you. It's a pretty incredible name and I'm almost wish that something would've come into fruition release wise.

I do remember these pictures always circulating when the project was mentioned...

Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    Pretty sure the album was going to wind up being a lot like G.O.O.D music's Cruel Summer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruel_S...D_Music_album)
    I could see that. That record had so much going on that it was such an unfocused mess...

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Where is the Tapeworm thread?

Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    It saddens me that we have to wait five, six, seven, eight years for a new Tool album, but Maynard has released an abundance of shitty material with a mediocre project in less time than it takes to see a new Tool record on the shelves.
    That's fairly obviously because getting a polished project out the door takes time, whereas releasing all your little experiments and ideas doesn't.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I think im going to start a Lovegun thread now...

In all seriousness, I got to thinking the other day when I found that copy of Gub. The first track is titled Tapeworm. Maybe this is where the idea for the groups name originated from? Or possibly even the genesis point of the group itself? (since Pigface was a supergroup, much like Tapeworm was supposed to be.) Its not like TR hasnt ever named a group after a song or anything....

Just some food for thought.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I remembered I had some old AP's with Trent interviews in them and one he talked about Tapeworm, and while im sure their in the archives, I wanted to scan it. My scanner doesent want to work right now, so you will have to suffice with my transcriptions of them. Anyways, this is from Issue 151, Feburary 2001 (take note to the second question...)

... So, the Tapeworm project: Do you now regret admitting it exists since the fans keep asking when it'll be released?
    No, it does exist. There's a bunch of tracks floating around, but right now we're just searching for an identity that defines it.

Initially, it was going to be an album with a revolving cast of singers, right?
    Where it stands at the moment is: Danny Lohner's contributed alot of songs; Charlie Clouser's contributed a lot of songs; I've got leftover songs that are better for that than Nine Inch Nails. And the original concept was to have a core of maybe two or three singers. At one point it was Tool's Maynard James Keenan, Pantera's Phil Anselmo and me, and maybe Helmet's Page Hamilton. But what it has lacked and what's getting worked out now is, I don't want it to sound like 10 different bands, 10 different singers, and here's a synth song, here's a rock song, here's a...

So the music itself is pretty diverse, too.
    Well, it needs someone to come in and give it a cohesiveness so it sounds like a project rather than b-side Nine Inch Nails music with different people singing on it. It needs to have an identity. And i've been so busy with other things that it got back-burnered. Now there's an unbelievable amount of music ready to go. But I want to get my head back in the studio, allow myself time to think without deadline pressure before i put something serious in motion that might not be fully thought out, and then I realize that now i've got a band that sounds just like Nine Inch Nails with Pantera's singer. And if I'm doing something else, I want to make sure it's not all interchangeble: "Sounds like Trent did it." That's the last thing I want to do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    I remembered I had some old AP's with Trent interviews in them and one he talked about Tapeworm, and while im sure their in the archives, I wanted to scan it. My scanner doesent want to work right now, so you will have to suffice with my transcriptions of them. Anyways, this is from Issue 151, Feburary 2001 (take note to the second question...)
    Good find. The only issue here is that I assume they worked this out since the album that almost got released (and was reported as being finished) was also reported to pretty much be MJK on vox. I think this dates back to the earlier days before it began to solidify around MJK as THE vocalist specifically.

Or I could be wrong. The man needs to just leak the damn thing (unless he intends to actually release it some day). It would shut us all up and satisfy our curiousity. Otherwise it'll probably show up either late in his career when he needs money, or after his death when someone in the family needs money. Problem being that by then we'll all be halfway dead as well.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by harrismonkey View Post
    ... Problem being that by then we'll all be halfway dead as well.
    lol, nice

damn 10 char