Thread: Headphones and Amps and DACs... Oh My!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ibanez33 View Post
    Thinking of upgrading my D1 to a Schiit stack, Modi with either Vali or Magni 2. Any reason why I should go with one over the other?
    You can get either the original Vali for $99 or spend $169 and get the new Vali 2! It has a preamp output now like the Magni 2 Uber.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virushopper View Post
    You can get either the original Vali for $99 or spend $169 and get the new Vali 2! It has a preamp output now like the Magni 2 Uber.
    I'm actually looking into the Sprout now, so I can integrate my turntable with my desktop setup. Price is a bit steep but totally worth it, it's an upgrade for my amp/dac, strong headphone out, and drives proper speakers instead of having a line-out to powered speakers like I have now.
    Last edited by ibanez33; 02-10-2016 at 01:33 AM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I'm actually looking into the Sprout now, so I can integrate my turntable with my desktop setup. Price is a bit steep but totally worth it, it's an upgrade for my amp/dac, strong headphone out, and drives proper speakers instead of having a line-out to powered speakers like I have now.
    Cool device. I have been looking into something similar but I'm not sure what I want exactly. Between the Sonos, Plex server, and stuff like this device I can't decide where I would go.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virushopper View Post
    Cool device. I have been looking into something similar but I'm not sure what I want exactly. Between the Sonos, Plex server, and stuff like this device I can't decide where I would go.
    If I were doing it based around a TV/home theater setup I would go SONOS, but I'm more of an audio fan and I spend a lot of time on the computer, so for me the Sprout is exactly what I'm looking for in a desktop setup. Either that or the Sony UDA-1, which costs a bit more but definitely serves all of my needs and I could easily integrate a TV into my setup down the road, if I want to.
    Last edited by ibanez33; 02-12-2016 at 03:48 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    If I were doing it based around a TV/home theater setup I would go SONOS, but I'm more of an audio fan and I spend a lot of time on the computer, so for me the Sprout is exactly what I'm looking for in a desktop setup. Either that or the Sony UDA-1, which costs a bit more but definitely serves all of my needs and I could easily integrate a TV into my setup down the road, if I want to.
    i have several customers who have SONOS systems, and i personally think they're FAR too expensive for what they do. they essentially only fulfill the audio part of the AirPlay function of what AppleTVs can do (unless you get one of the ones that also powers speakers) and it seems kind of silly.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i have several customers who have SONOS systems, and i personally think they're FAR too expensive for what they do. they essentially only fulfill the audio part of the AirPlay function of what AppleTVs can do (unless you get one of the ones that also powers speakers) and it seems kind of silly.
    I often have to turn away customers looking for SONOS on a daily basis, because my store doesn't carry them. Functionally they're pretty limited, but if you're looking for wireless speakers and they're in your budget, you really can't beat them.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    they essentially only fulfill the audio part of the AirPlay function of what AppleTVs can do (unless you get one of the ones that also powers speakers)
    Truth.

The SUB is the only cool/interesting part of the whole system, but is $200–$250 overpriced.