Page 36 of 42 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1249

Thread: Radiohead

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Pablo Honey and (to a slightly lesser extent) The Bends may not be entirely, or at all, representative of their overall sound, but going in catalog order isn't really a bad idea. In terms of accessibility, OK Computer and In Rainbows are great starting points. King of Limbs and Amnesiac might be the last places I'd start with, but I guess it depends on what it is you gravitate more towards.

OK Computer is a classic on its own merit, but also an excellent bridge between the more brit-pop centered Bends and the comparatively esoteric Kid A/Amnesiac era.
    Last edited by halo eighteen; 12-21-2020 at 09:13 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    This is a band with excellent B-sides. If you go through all their singles on streaming sites you're going to find lots of hidden gems.
    Speaking of b-sides, probably my favorite...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The Amazing Sounds of Orgy is the best b-side

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rampface View Post
    The Amazing Sounds of Orgy is the best b-side
    Definitely

I'm also a fan of India Rubber from one of The Bends singles, forget which. But I've also got a bit of a soft spot for early Radiohead when they were clearly heavily influenced by Pixies

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I really like “burn the witch”

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I'd start with the Bends b/c while it's true their sound shifted alot after that, there's still massive classics on that record, and they do inform the shift that comes after.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Holy shit -- Her Revolution/His Rope is fantastic. As mentioned by someone else, would love a full album of that collab.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    all the amnesiac b-sides are pretty fantastic, but my favorite is Kinetic. and that's my second-fav b-side of theirs ever, surpassed only by Talk Show Host, which i loved for years before i got into them, because of the romeo + juliet soundtrack.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    all the amnesiac b-sides are pretty fantastic, but my favorite is Kinetic. and that's my second-fav b-side of theirs ever, surpassed only by Talk Show Host, which i loved for years before i got into them, because of the romeo + juliet soundtrack.
    Are they all Amnesiac b-sides or were some songs from Kid A sessions? I mean, I know the songs were released on Amnesiac singles. But Kid A and Amnesiac are tied together. Some songs sound more Kid A than Amnesiac and some songs sound more Amnesiac than Kid A.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Are they all Amnesiac b-sides or were some songs from Kid A sessions? I mean, I know the songs were released on Amnesiac singles. But Kid A and Amnesiac are tied together. Some songs sound more Kid A than Amnesiac and some songs sound more Amnesiac than Kid A.
    I thought everything from that whole era was recorded at the same time, just released a year apart?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    I thought everything from that whole era was recorded at the same time, just released a year apart?
    Yea, they were born from the same sessions, but they also said they felt their was something distinguishing between the two albums/selection of tracks. To me, tracks like Kinetic, Worry Wort, Fog, feel more Kid A-ish in vibe. Out of the b-sides, I wonder which tracks were contenders for which album.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Yea, they were born from the same sessions, but they also said they felt their was something distinguishing between the two albums/selection of tracks. To me, tracks like Kinetic, Worry Wort, Fog, feel more Kid A-ish in vibe. Out of the b-sides, I wonder which tracks were contenders for which album.
    Hmm, yeah I get you. I definitely feel like Kinetic and Worrywort could've fit right in on an Optimistic single, maybe even Cuttooth as well, aside from me not being able to shake the Myxomatosis connection.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    In Ed's September 9, 1999 journal entry he talks about the "jonny scott walker song" (short and sweet). Which song is he referring to?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    In Ed's September 9, 1999 journal entry he talks about the "jonny scott walker song" (short and sweet). Which song is he referring to?
    Nothing we've heard, according to Citizen Insane.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Inspired by controversial music opinions thread - the "basement" version of "The King of Limbs" is pretty good.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post
    Inspired by controversial music opinions thread - the "basement" version of "The King of Limbs" is pretty good.

I prefer the Basement versions of TKOL over the album masters. There is something harsh about the TKOL album master that bothers me. I don't listen to album TKOL because of it. The Basement versions allow the beauty, complexity, and depth of the tracks to shine. The TKOL sounds over compressed or something. It's not an album that should be turned to 11, but that's what it sounds like.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I prefer the Basement versions of TKOL over the album masters. There is something harsh about the TKOL album master that bothers me. I don't listen to album TKOL because of it. The Basement versions allow the beauty, complexity, and depth of the tracks to shine. The TKOL sounds over compressed or something. It's not an album that should be turned to 11, but that's what it sounds like.

i agree whole-heartedly. Most of the studio versions i find coldly clinical. The live versions have that warmth and beauty i am accustomed to.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Omg that is AWESOME!!! Wow.

Peter Frampton is one of the greatest guitarists of all time, way under-appreciated, I just LOVE him, and this is such a great interpretation of that song.

(Goes to watch this several more times, with sound through the living room speaker system.)

“The first track to be shared from the collection is a cover of Radiohead’s In Rainbows cut “Reckoner,” with Frampton playing his infamous 1954 Les Paul Phoenix that was lost in a plane crash in 1980 and recovered decades later.”

Last edited by allegro; 02-06-2021 at 03:49 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    One of my favorite Radiohead songs. I used it in the first ski video I made.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    One of my favorite Radiohead songs. I used it in the first ski video I made.
    You have SKI VIDEOS? Awesome!

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    You have SKI VIDEOS? Awesome!
    Yeah, it's been years since I've made one though. I don't ski as much as I used to when I was a full time ski instructor.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    That's an excellent cover, but my god is that music video hilariously bad.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    That's an excellent cover, but my god is that music video hilariously bad.
    I interpreted it as having something to do with his IBM diagnosis.

We went to a show on his farewell tour, really good.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    I always liked Frampton & have seen him several times. Great guitar player & seems like a nice guy. My favorite was the Bowie Glass Spider tour. I saw a few dates on that tour & Peter was great!

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    I like the video, in a Tim and Eric sort of way. The cover is good.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Amazing performance of Videotape by Thom, great set all around:

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    So cool! It sounds like Hail to the Thief era Radiohead mixed with the synthy elements of Atoms for Peace and a bit of punky heaviness, which is awesome! Seeing Thom and Jonny switch instruments was neat too, Thom's bass playing is so damn groovy! I'm hoping we get to hear a record soon, cause We Don’t Know What Tomorrow Brings sounded brilliant.