Page 28 of 42 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 ... LastLast

Thread: Radiohead

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    too soon imo for 90's bands, part. if they're still active. Let's cover all the older artists that deserve it first, then we can get to bands like Radiohead. But then this whole award is a made-up, for profit, bullshit wankfest from the Rolling Stone douche, so who cares!

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    So I bought Kid A in the same place I bought Anitchrist.

I had heard Optimistic and I thought it was beautiful....such a depressing sounding song for such an uplifting song. I bought the album solely on that song.

Any others like that song?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryalex12 View Post
    So I bought Kid A in the same place I bought Anitchrist.

I had heard Optimistic and I thought it was beautiful....such a depressing sounding song for such an uplifting song. I bought the album solely on that song.

Any others like that song?
    that's the song that got me into radiohead. i heard it as a single on the radio in the fall/winter of 2000 (i was 13, almost 14) and asked for Kid A for x-mas. my girlfriend at the time gave me the special "children's book" edition of the album and i became immediately obsessed with it. the whole album is tied in with memories of that winter, which was also the first time i ever used carmex for chapped lips, so the smell of it brings a rush of sound and the feeling of air after a fresh snowfall. i'm very nostalgic about the whole situation.

also, i used to try to get the DJs at my junior high dances to play "idioteque" which never went over too well.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Ok listening to Kid A all the way through for the first time and i cant tell if "yesterday i woke up sucking a lemon" is the best or stupidest thing ive heard. The fact that Thom sings it with so much passion makes it even more funny

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Take that back, i figured what it meant but i still find it a little funny

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I still listen to In Rainbows and have such good memories of that time in my life. It was right after I graduated high school and was still figuring out life. I felt a lot happier and freer. Kind of get teary eyed thinking about it. I always get taken back to that time when I put the album on.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    If I recall correctly, the lyrics for the album are the way they are because Thom had brutal writers’ block at that point in his career. He’d write a single phrase, and later pick which ones went where almost, but not quite, at random. IF I recall correctly. I love that lyric because it’s a delightful and playful rephrasing of the idea of “I woke up on the wrong side of the bed” (or at least that’s how I’ve always taken it), but the album—because of that almost Vonnegut-meets-Twitter lyrical methodology—is full of slightly disjointed, kinda brilliant nuggets like that. Keep listening; you’ll find more.

EDIT: I checked my memory. That is what happened with the lyrics. Phrases and ideas were written out, often as single lines. When they were more complicated than that, they were literally cut up with scissors and recombined at random.
    I looked it up. Sucking on Lemons is a British phrase for "being woken up on the wrong side, or looking like shit" and apparently Thom was very depressed during that album cycle.

Lemons are sour and they make your lips pucker.....which you also do when you are sad.
    Last edited by Dryalex12; 10-25-2017 at 05:27 PM. Reason: misquoted the meaning

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I read some article that some guy on FOX News claim that Radiohead is the poor man's Coldplay.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    poor mans coldplay LOL, Coldplay were teenagers when Radiohead got big they have had a large following (in England at least) since 1991, when they were still called On A Friday thank god they changed the band name...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I am trying to see if Kid A is better or Amnesiac is. I feel Kid A can be listened to during night time and Amnesiac when it is raining and in the middle of the day. They are both amazing albums, but I think they are both equally good, if that makes any sense?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scribnation View Post
    I am trying to see if Kid A is better or Amnesiac is. I feel Kid A can be listened to during night time and Amnesiac when it is raining and in the middle of the day. They are both amazing albums, but I think they are both equally good, if that makes any sense?
    It's kind of two sides of the same coin for me. I think I like Kid A more overall, but they're so intertwined with each other in my mind that it's hard to think of one without the other.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I hope Kid A and Amnesiac get an OKNOTOK treatment together. I would love to see them together with their b-sides in one package with a demo mixtape like they had for the OK Computer sessions. The Kid Amnesiac is era is amazing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Just bought In Rainbows on CD, and I keep seeing the "Disk 2" of the album on iTunes and Spotify. Im assuming they are B-Sides right? Either way, are the songs any good or just something to skip through?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Just bought In Rainbows on CD, and I keep seeing the "Disk 2" of the album on iTunes and Spotify. Im assuming they are B-Sides right? Either way, are the songs any good or just something to skip through?
    I guess technically they would be B-sides, but I've always seen it as the second half of the album. There's some great tracks on there in my opinion. My favorites would probably be "Last Flowers", "Up On The Ladder", and "Bangers + Mash".

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    That disk originally came with the $80-something version of In Rainbows that had the album on vinyl, CD and that as a bonus disc, in a giant hardcover box/vinyl sleeve. You could only get it on their website, I think, when they launched the pay-what-you-want scheme that got a lot of attention. Some really good songs on it, a couple as good as the album tracks, just like with all their outtakes/b-sides.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbgut View Post
    That disk originally came with the $80-something version of In Rainbows that had the album on vinyl, CD and that as a bonus disc, in a giant hardcover box/vinyl sleeve. You could only get it on their website, I think, when they launched the pay-what-you-want scheme that got a lot of attention. Some really good songs on it, a couple as good as the album tracks, just like with all their outtakes/b-sides.
    yup, i've got the box. recently listened to disk 2 for the first time in a while and had forgotten that there's a few songs on there i like more than some of the main album tracks.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Yeah the tracks from Disc 2 are great!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    yup, i've got the box. recently listened to disk 2 for the first time in a while and had forgotten that there's a few songs on there i like more than some of the main album tracks.
    Great tracks on both but I love the original In Rainbows album more, to me those fit better then the ones on the second disk, even though the second disk isnt that bad, Id still prefer the original album though.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    They are suing Lana for plagiarising Creep? Fuck them.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    They've always been dicks. Like when they blew off partaking in Peter Gabriel's Scratch My Back project. They didn't even have the balls to say they didn't like it, so they pulled out of the project and ceased communication with Peter.
    Last edited by Frozen Beach; 01-07-2018 at 06:49 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

In that case, I think The Hollies would like to have a word with Radiohead.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostaustin View Post

In that case, I think The Hollies would like to have a word with Radiohead.
    They did. And won.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I can hear the similarities between LDR and Radiohead, but i don't think it's a carbon copy; i read Lana even offered them part of the royalties, but they are asking for 100%, Uh?

I like Radiohead, but what a dick move!

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Safe to say this is out of spite from The Hollies situation, no?

Theres some similarities (I’m no musical expert, mind you) but there’s a metric shit ton of songs out there that sound similar to others.

There was some pop pop song out there a few years ago (was it Blurred Lines) with a very similar situation- and I believe the lawsuit favored the plaintiff, and it didn’t sound anything like the “original” tune.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    If Radiohead lost a lawsuit to The Hollies, doesn't that prove (as far as the courts are concerned) that Radiohead plagiarized The Hollies? In which case, how can Radiohead sue LDR over the same song? If they won wouldn't that mean The Hollies should be compensated, not Radiohead?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Safe to say this is out of spite from The Hollies situation, no?

Theres some similarities (I’m no musical expert, mind you) but there’s a metric shit ton of songs out there that sound similar to others.

There was some pop pop song out there a few years ago (was it Blurred Lines) with a very similar situation- and I believe the lawsuit favored the plaintiff, and it didn’t sound anything like the “original” tune.
    I believe the song you may be thinking of is Sam Smith's single, which sounded, melodically at least, a lot like Won't Back Down by Tom Petty.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    I believe the song you may be thinking of is Sam Smith's single, which sounded, melodically at least, a lot like Won't Back Down by Tom Petty.
    No, it was Blurred Lines. Per wiki below...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blurre...ship_questions

I remember people were not too happy about this at the time since it can open up the proverbial can of worms. (i.e. too many musicians suing each other)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    No, it was Blurred Lines. Per wiki below...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blurre...ship_questions

I remember people were not too happy about this at the time since it can open up the proverbial can of worms. (i.e. too many musicians suing each other)
    Oh wow, that one's way more ridiculous. Suing because it "feels" the same. FOH.
    Last edited by imail724; 01-08-2018 at 01:37 PM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    If Radiohead lost a lawsuit to The Hollies, doesn't that prove (as far as the courts are concerned) that Radiohead plagiarized The Hollies? In which case, how can Radiohead sue LDR over the same song? If they won wouldn't that mean The Hollies should be compensated, not Radiohead?
    They did not loose. They settled out of court.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    According to Radiohead's publishers, they have not sued Lana Del Rey...

http://www.nme.com/news/music/radioh...ishers-2216338