Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Godflesh, Jesu and all things Justin Broadrick

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)

Godflesh, Jesu and all things Justin Broadrick

JB has a new album out: JK Flesh's Posthuman

http://www.amazon.com/Posthuman-Jk-F...2733220&sr=8-1

Personally, I am Team Godflesh, not Team Jesu..,sooo waiting for a new GF album.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Yet to hear JK Flesh, but it seems like it'll be right up my alley. Team Godflesh here too, though I've still got plenty of time for Jesu, Techno Animal, Final etc...

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I like Jesu, but I think it's run it's course. Ascension was pretty nice, and I enjoyed the first half of Infinity. Creatively, I think he's hit a brick wall. Hence, the shift back to the more darker sounding material (White Static Demon, GRAYMACHINE, Posthuman). My only problem with Posthuman, is that I wish his vocals were a bit more up front than in the background. Good album regardless. And i'm ready for some new Godflesh. Trying to get into Hymns again (my least favorite). Always struck me as "worn out". Songs of Love and Hate, though, fucking amazing.

Unfortunately, the only Techno Animal i've heard is Ghosts. The rest i'm oblivious to. I hear Ice is another one worth checking out (if you can find it).
    Last edited by Piko; 07-19-2012 at 08:53 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    A lot of Metal bands have this sound where it seems really compressed, they play too hard and despite them thrashing away, and trying to sound ferocious, it lacks some sort of power. After mixing when you hear the result, its usually heavy and loud but it does not really mean much?
    Bands Godflesh influenced like Deftones and a lot of Nu Metal groups and other metal bands this decade, are really heavy but they lack something Godflesh had, Godflesh had a really raw sound, Justin created this thing which seems more real, the pummeling riffs seem more realistic?? Somehow. I believe the noise he is creating. Its actually has a real menace to it.
    it could be very euphoric yet threatening and grimy at the same time.
    Where as with a lot of Metal bands the sound they create sounds too safe, forced and tame.
    Godflesh sounded like they have been in real world and on the dirty streets on a dark industrial city in decline.
    A lot of Roadrunner type bands dont seem to be able to do this. Create realism.
    Huge per cent of metal goes down the pantomime route and thus diminishes its power.

Justins repetitive riffs were very hypnotic. They sound like they are channel for some sort of invisible Industrial Urban force.
    At their best their music hits you like a brick.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Well, he was raised in the Council Estates (which apparently isn't a nice place), so that could have a huge to-do with his demeanor and so on.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Gotta give the JK Flesh album a tryout. A new Godflesh album will be awesome. Jesu has been on the backburner for a while it seems. Besides Ascension there hasn't been much activity in the last few years. I disliked it with initial listens but have since had it grow on me. It's nowhere close to being the best Jesu album, but it's a pretty album.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Compared to Opiate Sun and Conqueror, it's a step up. A little different. And you can tell his singing has improved a lot since.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    godflesh is IMMENSE, a major favorite. that's really all i've got here.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Pantera EP ft broadrick remixes reissued on vinyl http://blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mo...sitemID=181094

The fucking hostile one is really good, it features on the home video during a montage of them drinking (or something, ok that doesnt narrow it down)

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Got my ticket for Chicago 10/22.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    same for NYC. still too far away to be salivating, but i'm pretty damn excited.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Same, but Oakland. This one is hard to wait for. The openers are great too - Prurient and Nails.

Also, new Jesu album next month.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Musical Revolution is reading my mind this week. I've had only "Jesu" and "Silver" for so long, but the otherday decided to download the rest of Jesu and also check out Godflesh. Not very far through it yet.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    For some reason I read the thread title as "Justin Bieber multitracks" when skimming down the listings. I'm... not sure why.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    You just see what you want to see

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    ^ indeed. i saw a quote recently where JKB talked about how doing Godflesh again made him rethink Jesu and what it's supposed to sound like, so i hope that results in something as great as the EP work he's been doing under that name, and absolutely nothing like that last LP, which i can't stand at all.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Jesu has been long overdue for a change up. He's been treading the ground since Silver. The sample I heard was pretty refreshing. Can't wait to hear more.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I liked Ascension as well. My least favorite is Conquerer. I like Jesu, but i'm ready for something new. I liked Infinity as well, but even that is a rehash.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Can't wait for new Jesu! Hopefully a tour will follow as well.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    New album came out today. Pretty good so far. Maybe he does have it in him to actually record solid LPs, still. Has a lot going on, and shows a bit more variety. One song, you would swear you're listening to Sigur Ros with JKB on vocals. Another, that you would swear is from Heart Ache (The Great Leveller). Highly recommend it.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Still need to give this a thorough listen. I enjoyed it on my first listen, but I need to let it sink in a while.

Still stoked for the Godflesh show in a month. Apparently there's going to be a new album?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm loving the new album!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackholesun View Post
    Still need to give this a thorough listen. I enjoyed it on my first listen, but I need to let it sink in a while.

Still stoked for the Godflesh show in a month. Apparently there's going to be a new album?
    Yep! Tentative date of may 2014 though... Judging from that song they did for decibel, i'm expecting a pretty solid album. So it's ok if they take their time. And I saw somewhere that there's more Final and White Static Demon on the way. So there will be no shortage of Broadrick.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    "Comforter" is pretty stunning. Solid album overall.

Also, SHIT YES @ new Godflesh material.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    Yep! Tentative date of may 2014 though... Judging from that song they did for decibel, i'm expecting a pretty solid album. So it's ok if they take their time. And I saw somewhere that there's more Final and White Static Demon on the way. So there will be no shortage of Broadrick.
    Sweet, definitely excited. And I'd expect we are going to hear more Pale Sketcher as well.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I was going to drive to Georgia to see Godflesh in 2002, but he had a nervous breakdown and broke the band up.

I was going to see Jesu on tour with Isis in 2007, but he wasn't there because their visas only cleared the week after the show.

I was going to see Godflesh this month in Austin, but nay.

I don't think the man wants any of the money I want to give to him.....

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I think if JB was motivated by money, he would have joined Faith No More in 1994....which would have been awesome!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I was looking forward to seeing them in Oakland.
    Hopefully the dates get rescheduled. One of the last bands I need to see at least once in my life.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Ahh no. Seems like JKB has nothing but trouble with working visas. Hopefully there will be rescheduled dates.