Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Fragility 1.0 Concert Special (and Big Day Out 2000, too)

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    ninjaw, i won't answer your remarks about the death of various formats, but DVD was invented 15 years ago to remedy exactly this – a LONG list of compatibility problems during their lives, starting with VideoCD2.0 chapters and hi def mpeg1 slideshows.
    I worked a few years ago in video shop and had read a few books upon the subject. DVD was proven format that's indeed made to work out-of-the-box, not magic but unified medium where aside from NTSC/PAL and Region locks you aren't going to expect issues on the users' end. Well, perhaps with some freeware authoring tools, but certainly not with big name commercial software Leviathant used for this release. If anyone was offended by that, sorry. But again, DVD format is more foolproof these days than it was in 1998.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    I would make no question about the release of MP4, since there are tons of codecs and incompatibility is common thing, but MPEG2 DVD on the other hand is standard, and – in theory – should not be the subject to recommend "at the very least <insert obscure program name here>". i'm just curious, so please take no offense.
    HOW DARE YOU! Hehe. No, thats a totally valid curiosity, BA.

The DVD image I created was built using Sony Vegas Pro 12, exporting using the MainConcept MPEG2 codec, and the DVD was authored with DVD Architect Pro 6. My copies of Vegas and DVD Architect are bought & paid for - so I'm not worried about any issues related to cracked software. I've authored many DVDs this way, and this is the first I've heard of an issue. The thing about DVDs is that they're meant to be played in DVD players. I can't really explain to you why Windows Media Player will play back some DVDs and not others without knowing more about your system (e.g. what codec packs you've installed, and even finding out active codecs is a pain in the ass)

I like to think that I am very well versed on this sort of thing, but even these days I get thrown a twist like "DVCPRO50 that doesn't play in anything but Avid". DVD playback's about as standard as it goes. When I run MediaInfo against the .VOB files I distributed, it tells me they're MPEG streams. I contend the problem is not in what I created, so much as what you're using to play it back with.

Additionally, I would argue that VLC is not obscure - millions of downloads, available on Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, even as a Win8 metro app. Windows Media Player may have the installed-copies advantage, but only because it's installed by default with every copy of Windows. When in doubt, try VLC out.

Anyway, no offense taken by your question. As you can tell by my huge reply (and obviously from my first post in this thread) I don't mind explaining things

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Can somebody please seed the FLAC torrent?

EDIT: Nevermind, I accidentally snatched the first FLAC torrent.
    Last edited by wizfan; 03-01-2013 at 09:28 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Is it weird to say that I absolutely love the way Robin's voice sounds on The Great Below when he sings "and all that could have been"?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    What a fucking good quality!! Thank you very much for this!!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    ...and what a fascinating story behind it.

I know I'm late, but just downloaded, watched and now read your back story.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Am still incredibly jealous of anyone that got to attend the Fragility tour and got to see WITT live. I was broke and in High School, tape recording any special on MTV that came of it, haha. Said footage has been lost since then, of course.

Thanks a ton Leviathant for making it available

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I got the mp4s off of PB last nite, and the audio is waaaaay out of sync with the video. Ive tried it on multiple devices too, so i know its not my hardware. Anybody else experence this issue?

(also, the video quality is awesome on BDO. one of the final true visceral NIN shows)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Am still incredibly jealous of anyone that got to attend the Fragility tour and got to see WITT live.
    I thought the first time WITT was performed was the Performance 2007 tour? They definitely didn't play it Denver June 18 2000 when I was there.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Yeah, WITT debuted in mid-February 2007 in Portugal. It was only played about 6 or 7 times in total (if we're counting the OSR performance and the Melbourne rehearsal)

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I would love to see Trent play We're In This Together, but he probably won't. But let's be honest, here, I'm not going to have a single complaint over what he chooses to play at the show

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    WITT live never had that same....power, dare i say, as the studio version. It sounds great but, being a step lower and all, it just seems like its missing something. Still fucking awesome though.

The Big Day Out show is amazing. I know that its TR during a tough time, but this is one of my favs... maybe thats not cool.... i dont know i just love this show.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    seven1963.org

scroll down to 2007 year zero era, and look for the 'surprise concert' link, download that video, they play WiTT during that performance.

its pretty clear why they never play it, and it has nothing to do with programming or instrumentation.

the vocal key for ' youuuuuuu and me, we're in this together nowwwww' and parts after that are super high, in fact they may be playing in a different key during that performance on the video im referencing.

you can tell immediately how trent has to sing it differently because he cannot reach those notes live.....

more curiously, im wondering how long those vocal takes took when recording the album...

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Burleson View Post
    more curiously, im wondering how long those vocal takes took when recording the album...
    Well there's these -

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyract View Post
    I thought the first time WITT was performed was the Performance 2007 tour? They definitely didn't play it Denver June 18 2000 when I was there.

when they recorded the music video, you could hear Trent singing the chorus in '99, at least ...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by demo View Post
    when they recorded the music video, you could hear Trent singing the chorus in '99, at least ...
    I ssume he is lip synching in the video, which is what you do because they play the studio track during the filming, like most music videos. Maybe not though, I don't know.

They probably rehearsed it in a live setting dozens of times like they did The Perfect Drug and decided to just not go through with doing it live due to sound issues.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    trent is coked out of his fucking head at bdo

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Random but lol. ^

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    dude look at him during motp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hey everyone.

I know this thread is a few years old now but I just wanted to reopen things because all of the awesome torrents found here are virtually unseeded.

https://thepiratebay.vg/user/yourfutureenemy

I downloaded these files years ago, but I lost them on a bad drive.

Would any kind soul happen to still have the files available to seed.

Does anyone know of an another location to download these files?

I'm mostly interested in the NIN video files.

Thanks,

Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hey Leviathant, do you still have the 26GB source material?

I've written some algorithms in AVISYNTH to use deep learning to convert older footage to 60fps 1080p footage.

However something like a compressed DVD wont work, you need the source footage.

Let me know and ill give you space to upload it to, and reshare the upscaled version with the community.

Cheers

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I love seeing NIN live now and will continue to see them on every tour they play. They sound great. Trent is great. One of my personal heroes. Nothing but positive things to say.

But I saw them on the Fragile tour, and what they do now isn't even close in terms of intangible magic or energy. The performances are strong now and the playing is comparable, but Trent was so much more connected with the material he was performing, was a stronger vocalist and more unique performer. There was a sense of complete commitment and manufactured chaos in those shows that was unique to this band and completely complemented the content of their music.

And THAT being said, the Fragile tour - from all impressions and video - was inferior in all those respects to TDS tour. I was ten during the TDS tour and saw them play Woodstock on TV. Even then, I knew that was the tour to have seen.

NIN has aged better than almost any band of their generation, IMO and has retained more of what made them special as a live act than any band I can think of. But precious few bands have performed their best live shows when the members were in their forties or fifties, and, while I'm very thankful for how good what we have is, I don't think NIN is the exception to that rule.

EDIT: Jesus, sorry to have responded to a seemingly ancillary part of this thread three years after the fact. I read through it and didn't take note of the dates!
    Last edited by Reznorection; 02-09-2019 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Noticed something...

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Stumbled across an alternate edit for HLAH that Director of Photography Matt Broadley uploaded to Vimeo seven months ago (they caught me singing at :18).

It could be completely random that he updated his portfolio, or it could mean they're piecing together assets for a 20th anniversary release.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Might be a little late for the 20th anniversary.

An expanded 30th anniversary reissue would be pretty cool. Maybe something with reversible artwork, or just both the original and the reissue art represented? Might be a little too visually busy, though. And they didn't do anything for TDS's 20th after releasing the deluxe edition in 2004, so maybe he was just dumping an alternate cut he found on an old drive somewhere.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FULLMETAL View Post
    It could be completely random that he updated his portfolio, or it could mean they're piecing together assets for a 20th anniversary release.
    Whatever the case, I went ahead and saved it:

https://mega.nz/#!TnQECKhR!iGqnIqm3P...Vu3sZ38gI5G_PU

Video is windowboxed at 1920x1080. Not sure if the original footage is 720x480 or 720x576, but neither of those were options. I instead chose the highest quality/bitrate.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FULLMETAL View Post
    Stumbled across an alternate edit for HLAH that Director of Photography Matt Broadley uploaded to Vimeo seven months ago (they caught me singing at :18).

Fuck that is beautiful... Maybe we'll get a higher res version of that MTV special after all...?

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Whatever the case, I went ahead and saved it:
    Bless your beautiful soul.