Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Gary Numan sucks

Who cares about Leona Lewis?

I loooove raspberries

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    i'm looking forward to hearing new material this year
    really hoping that Trent does more sound design this time around (like how he did on The Fragile and his earlier music)

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I'm sitting here watching Korn encore or play first prior to Rob Zombie and I remember why I only show complete devotion to Trent at shows: dignity and respect.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

@3:45-4:17
    HOLY. FUCKING. SHIT.
    I can't believe that Trent can still do that with his voice!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Name the NIN song to go with this:

https://twitter.com/Mark_Cip/status/449750515031609344

My fucked up day!!!!! I hate America's scum even more sometimes..

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by That other guy View Post
    All Tire Low?
    Last edited by botley; 03-29-2014 at 10:20 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    While I do prefer the finished version of Ruiner, I wish that it was bass heavy like the demo version was. It was so fucking meaty.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GlitchyFlame View Post
    While I do prefer the finished version of Ruiner, I wish that it was bass heavy like the demo version was. It was so fucking meaty.
    Where is this demo version of which thou speak?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Where is this demo version of which thou speak?
    Well, a bunch of TDS extras were put on the second CD of the Deluxe edition from 2004, and some of those extras were demos. Here's the Ruiner demo.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    It's really depressing to visit the official NIN forums. It's a grave yard. Rob n' the gang seemed to forget about that supposed update. I doubt that it'll happen. At least ETS is here, and very active.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    It's really depressing to visit the official NIN forums. It's a grave yard. Rob n' the gang seemed to forget about that supposed update. I doubt that it'll happen. At least ETS is here, and very active.
    I posted on the NIN forums until the Wave Goodbye stuff. Then went away and came back once NIN was brought back. NIN.com was dead so I came here. So far,ETS is waaaay better than the NIN forum.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icecream View Post
    I posted on the NIN forums until the Wave Goodbye stuff. Then went away and came back once NIN was brought back. NIN.com was dead so I came here. So far,ETS is waaaay better than the NIN forum.
    I was on the Spiral forums from the beginning, and lurked ETS around 06, posting periodically. When The Spiral closed down and changed to nin.com forums, I moved to ETS permanently.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    I was on the Spiral forums from the beginning, and lurked ETS around 06, posting periodically. When The Spiral closed down and changed to nin.com forums, I moved to ETS permanently.
    I haven't been around that long. Didn't even really check out NIN's website, despite them being my favorite band, until The Slip came out and I gave it a peek.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icecream View Post
    I haven't been around that long. Didn't even really check out NIN's website, despite them being my favorite band, until The Slip came out and I gave it a peek.
    I started downloading random NIN songs and remixes and remixes that were actually done by Danny but attributed to NIN in the golden age of Napster, right around 2000/2001. Got really into it, and wanted to buy a few cds. Then I scoured the internet for info around the time nin.com was starting to go into bleedthrough mode. Found the hotline around the same time I think, and just kinda regularly checked things until everything started happening. Joined The Spiral initially for the ticket benefits, and The Spiral just kinda got me into the idea of being part of a NIN based forum, so I started lurking ETS too since it was older and so had more back information.

I consider myself a new fan, even though I started collecting 12-13 years ago.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I started downloading random NIN songs and remixes and remixes that were actually done by Danny but attributed to NIN in the golden age of Napster, right around 2000/2001. Got really into it, and wanted to buy a few cds. Then I scoured the internet for info around the time nin.com was starting to go into bleedthrough mode. Found the hotline around the same time I think, and just kinda regularly checked things until everything started happening. Joined The Spiral initially for the ticket benefits, and The Spiral just kinda got me into the idea of being part of a NIN based forum, so I started lurking ETS too since it was older and so had more back information.

I consider myself a new fan, even though I started collecting 12-13 years ago.
    That's awesome! I was in middle school around the time WT came out. A friend played me Closer because he thought the lyrics were funny. That's where my NIN story starts. Quickly tried to get all the albums but couldn't get Broken or PHM. I didn't know what Linewire or Napster was.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Anyone remember burningsoulsforum? That finally died sometime last year, but it was pretty active from 01-08.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I'm actually still hoping that it gets deleted and replaced with a new forum that's more similar to today's ETS. Even if nothing has been happening at NIN.com in regards to message board changes for quite a while, that still wasn't completely ruled out as a possibility.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 06-25-2014 at 08:28 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Is it just me, or does The Hand That Feeds sound pretty similar to The Fight Song?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Is it just me, or does The Hand That Feeds sound pretty similar to The Fight Song?
    it's just you.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    What did Trent use to create the "hammer synth" patch that starts the song "That's What I Get"?

I read that it came from something like a steel drum keyboard preset or something... Please don't tell me it's from his Moog lol... I would find it hard to believe that a Moog could make that sound unless it was layered with more notes and frequencies and maybe sampled and played back with his Mirage...

This has been a curiosity to me for so long I'm just dying to know how Trent got that patch/sound.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Copy_of_an_Echo View Post
    What did Trent use to create the "hammer synth" patch that starts the song "That's What I Get"?

I read that it came from something like a steel drum keyboard preset or something... Please don't tell me it's from his Moog lol... I would find it hard to believe that a Moog could make that sound unless it was layered with more notes and frequencies and maybe sampled and played back with his Mirage...

This has been a curiosity to me for so long I'm just dying to know how Trent got that patch/sound.
    I found a synth sound in Garageband that is very close to it. It also sounds suspiciously like the bass during live versions of Happiness in Slavery.
    Last edited by nooneimportant; 12-08-2014 at 12:00 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    lol that bass in Happiness in Slavery... I love it I somehow managed to edit a patch on my DX7 to sound incredibly close to it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I am blown away. I just decided to give Year Zero another listen after years of disregarding it. I was 17 when I last listened to the album, but at the time I didn't pay attention to sound the way I do now; no attention to room tones or reverbs, delays, eq, noise and ambience, drum sounds vs samples... I also was turned off by the political message in Year Zero because I felt that I knew nothing of politics or what was going on in the world. I felt I couldn't understand it. Plus Mr. Capital G was someone I never studied but everyone else just new he was an asshole. I was always like, hm, he is eh?

Now, after gone through the whole album, the sounds and the message, the amount of personality and style in the music; it's simply fascinating to me. Now I'm just fantasizing Trent in some movie or real life Apocalypse and I can just see him as this hardened street smart man trying to help people out in life or death situations; intimidating and angry on the outside but caring and helpful on the inside. I can just imagine the music as an epic anthem to the times.

Man, did I ever miss out I mean I'm 21 now and I started listening to NIN when I was 15. And that alternate reality game.... Holy shit man what the fuck was that all about?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I mean, I know Trent wanted people to "wake up!!!" lol. But that's all I know.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Very good Kris. Your thumbs encourage me.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Hey, am I the only person that thinks that NIN comes very close to music we hear in our dreams? What I mean is, the immense amount of subtlety in the sound, the variation, things sneaking up on you or sounds flashing and bouncing off of Trent's voice and moving around. Like shit I seriously feel like sometimes, NIN is just dreamy. lol. I mean just creamy. No, I mean just like a fantasty. Yeah, like a fantasy.

Maybe it's because sometimes I hear NIN in my dreams, and often the music is just full of mystery; changing and morphing in front of my eyes, but never in a way that I can completely follow and comprehend.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    One time I had this dream I was watching TV, and the screen goes totally white with noise, and I know it's like an MTV music video or something, and slowely, I begin to realize an image of Trent Reznor, face down on a pure white background; a large pool of blood beneath him. I believe the scene was accompanied by a drone of noise and such. That was a really kool dream. Who wants to hear more Trent Reznor dreams from me?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Copy_of_an_Echo View Post
    One time I had this dream I was watching TV, and the screen goes totally white with noise, and I know it's like an MTV music video or something, and slowely, I begin to realize an image of Trent Reznor, face down on a pure white background; a large pool of blood beneath him. I believe the scene was accompanied by a drone of noise and such. That was a really kool dream. Who wants to hear more Trent Reznor dreams from me?
    There's a thread for that already, go crazy http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...nt-NIN-in-them

(also you can edit your posts so that you can put all of your things in one thread, rather than posting three times)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Holy shit now way. Lol can't believe people are already talking about that.