Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    The Perfect Drug comes completely out of left field, neither here nor there.
    i dunno, the coda sounds exactly like the quiet moments on The Fragile. the rest of it doesn't sound super similar to TDS but it does bear some of its burden: drugs and lust play some sort of part in TDS, and big guitars and catchy choruses are part of the songwriting. it's just the weirdly happy chord choices that make it un-TDS.

it's some sort of cousin to both "I Do Not Want This" (drum fuckery / distortion / big chorus) and "And All That Could Have Been" (quiet, cold, chorusy guitars / forlorn longing vocal / even the guitar-only bridge harkens back to the TPD chorus style) is what i am trying to say. one foot in each door.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    i dunno, the coda sounds exactly like the quiet moments on The Fragile. the rest of it doesn't sound super similar to TDS but it does bear some of its burden: drugs and lust play some sort of part in TDS, and big guitars and catchy choruses are part of the songwriting. it's just the weirdly happy chord choices that make it un-TDS.
    I was only speaking musically. When it comes to themes, one could say that roughly the entirety of NIN's discography has something to do with drugs/addiction of some sort. And musically, Reznor has rarely strayed too far from a pop or rock structure, focusing more on how to render or twist those fundamentals, rather than reinvent them. But the obvious Jungle influences on TPD make it a wild card among the rest, there's nothing quite like it, although now that I think of it, Starfuckers stands out sonically in a similar manner...