Page 500 of 528 FirstFirst ... 400 450 490 498 499 500 501 502 510 ... LastLast
Results 14,971 to 15,000 of 15828

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    That Brian Warner guy was also on Stern in 2017 saying how he had made friends with TR again and how they were talking and TR gave him the masters back for ACSS so their clearly was a brief renewel of their friendship that didn't last long

Maron only has guests on that he is interested in and knows something about so I am sure he could give a shit about Atticus. Plus he would want to go in depth with TR about addiction issues, and if Atticus is sitting right next to him, it would hard for Maron to dig in.

At this point Joe Rogan is the bottom of the sewer (yet Maynard seems to love him). A Stern interview with TR would most likely regurgitate stuff we have already heard but would still be a lot better than TR sitting in with meathead jock boy Rogan listening to him talk about conspiracy theories

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    At this point in time and technology TR should just get members of ETS to interview him. The community it smart, knows the right questions to ask and what questions to avoid.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    At this point in time and technology TR should just get members of ETS to interview him. The community it smart, knows the right questions to ask and what questions to avoid.
    He already did a fan interview back in 2009: https://www.theninhotline.com/news/permalink/1241622817

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    He already did a fan interview back in 2009: https://www.theninhotline.com/news/permalink/1241622817
    Oh yeah, I mean on a more regular basis. Say, once every three months with us or so.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    You realize this community really only cares about three things, right?

1. Tapeworm?
    2. Tension film when?
    3. Why don't you ever play The Perfect Drug Everything live?

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post

1. Tapeworm?
    2. Tension film when?
    4. With Teeth expanded edition with essay
    5. Those With Teeth demos that surfaced not long ago we need more info about
    6. A final definitive answer on the sample in A Warm Place!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You should switch that to "The ETS community only cares about 1 thing, and it's disgusting!" lol

1. Tapeworm?
    2. Tension film when?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    The community it smart, knows the right questions to ask and what questions to avoid.
    Unfortunately, we're also the ones who already know the answers to most of those questions.

Oh. Right. NIN spotting. Charlie Clouser was interviewed for the new Saw Blu-ray, and he briefly mentions that the filmmakers used his remixes in their temp score for the film. Nothing new if you're familiar with the film, but I would love to watch the film with some of those remixes in place. I remember reading that Screaming Slave was used at one point in an early cut, but I can't find that info anymore.
    Last edited by BRoswell; 05-23-2021 at 11:52 AM.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Unfortunately, we're also the ones who already know the answers to most of those questions.

Oh. Right. NIN spotting. Charlie Clouser was interviewed for the new Saw Blu-ray, and he briefly mentions that the filmmakers used his remixes in their temp score for the film. Nothing new if you're familiar with the film, but I would love to watch the film with some of those remixes in place. I remember reading that Screaming Slave was used at one point in an early cut, but I can't find that info anymore.
    On the contrary, and @piggy will testify, there are so many facts we don’t have definitive answers to that would expand the ninwiki substantially if we had official word on things. I’d be fascinated to learn many of them!

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    https://www.reddit.com/r/nin/comment...m_source=share

Really strange post on Reddit. Pretty random for sure.
    It's been taken down, so I can't see the original post, but what was strange about it? Did anyone from here reach out to the guy to see if we could get copies of the instrumentals?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    4. With Teeth expanded edition with essay
    5. Those With Teeth demos that surfaced not long ago we need more info about
    6. A final definitive answer on the sample in A Warm Place!
    7. The rest of the "coming soon" definitive edition vinyls.
    8. "Well actually..." disputes.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Oh yeah, I mean on a more regular basis. Say, once every three months with us or so.
    I was on the 2009 ETS committee to come up with questions, along with @Leviathant and about 4-5 others I can’t remember. It was actually more difficult than you think coming up with interesting questions.

Note that, from what I remember, there were several small groups; one small ETS group and several small NIN.com forum groups, which all submitted narrowed-down questions, which were further narrowed down by the NIN.com forum.

Of course, the NIN.com questions were the dumbest.

Some of the funniest or best questions / answers have been posted here on ETS, randomly, and answered here; e.g. what does lab work mean? Or what is that stuff you’re drinking onstage?
    Last edited by allegro; 05-23-2021 at 11:37 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Last night I did a relisten of the Song Explorer episode of The Lovers. Sometimes I forget that Atticus has a nice/peculiar voice... Made me think that it would be really cool if he ever singed in a NIN song. Like, imagine we get news of a new song coming out and when we go to listen to it the first verse is Atticus singing, then Trent comes in... That would be a really pleasant surprise.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    Last night I did a relisten of the Song Explorer episode of The Lovers. Sometimes I forget that Atticus has a nice/peculiar voice... Made me think that it would be really cool if he ever singed in a NIN song. Like, imagine we get news of a new song coming out and when we go to listen to it the first verse is Atticus singing, then Trent comes in... That would be a really pleasant surprise.
    I would actually be really surprised if that didn’t happen with the next NIN release, since they’ve talked about collaboration, and the fact that AR pushed TR out of his comfort zone with Bad Witch to sing with that Bowie-tone and the use of the saxophone. It’s TR’s turn to push Atticus out of his comfort zone and deliver a NIN vocal!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I would actually be really surprised if that didn’t happen with the next NIN release, since they’ve talked about collaboration, and the fact that AR pushed TR out of his comfort zone with Bad Witch to sing with that Bowie-tone and the use of the saxophone. It’s TR’s turn to push Atticus out of his comfort zone and deliver a NIN vocal!
    Somthing tells me that Atticus won't give in so easly... but I can definetly see Trent pushing him to do it. Like, let's see this thing being a duo in every sense possible. (Also, we need more of that sax!!!)

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    I’m most interested about intricate song samples and mysteries we haven’t had definitive answers to in years. Like the reasons why certain promo singles were given duplicate halo numbers. What that sound is in The Wretched. What that other sound is in Shit Mirror. What certain elements of album art mean and how The Idea of You ties back into With Teeth ideas. What his ultimate plan was with the additional WT lyric poster songs since The Warning eventually became the YZ Warning. Why Into The Void wasn’t given a halo number.

And these are just off the top of my head. I’m sure I could list a few dozen more that have gnawed away at me/us for years. The EDIETS + TDTWWA videos. More elaboration on those and how they would’ve looked. Why certain songs haven’t been played live.

Man, sit TR in front of me on Zoom and I’ll make it the most informative interview in the history of interviews!

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Atticus doesn't even sing any regular backing vocals live. I don't think he's gonna sing lead.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    It's been taken down, so I can't see the original post, but what was strange about it? Did anyone from here reach out to the guy to see if we could get copies of the instrumentals?
    Well if he really wanted to share, he would. His post went something like this: 'hmm i forgot I had these Bad Witch instrumentals for years LOL! what should i do with these LOL hmm'
    I dunno what he really expected starting a conversation the way he did. Money offer?
    He did post a short sample of Ahead of Ourselves - the chorus part where TR sings 'obsolete insignificant' but with no vocals.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Well if he really wanted to share, he would. His post went something like this: 'hmm i forgot I had these Bad Witch instrumentals for years LOL! what should i do with these LOL hmm'
    I dunno what he really expected starting a conversation the way he did. Money offer?
    He did post a short sample of Ahead of Ourselves - the chorus part where TR sings 'obsolete insignificant' but with no vocals.
    Yeah, instrumentals for NTAE and AV have also appeared on eBay for crazily high prices. Unfortunately these things always somehow manage to end up in the hands of people who have no idea of the concept of utilitarianism. TR should be made aware these acetates exist and just share all the instrumentals with us online to quash these hoarding idiots.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Wow, so the O2 London show I've been to was 7 years ago now past weekend... I feel old, and the need to see NIN live again! That was a great week back then, first Berlin, then jumping over to the UK. Next European Tour will see me catching as many dates as possible. It will be expensive, but it will be worth it!

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Atticus doesn't even sing any regular backing vocals live. I don't think he's gonna sing lead.
    You never know in this life!

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I was on the 2009 ETS committee to come up with questions, along with @Leviathant and about 4-5 others I can’t remember. It was actually more difficult than you think coming up with interesting questions.

Note that, from what I remember, there were several small groups; one small ETS group and several small NIN.com forum groups, which all submitted narrowed-down questions, which were further narrowed down by the NIN.com forum.

Of course, the NIN.com questions were the dumbest.

Some of the funniest or best questions / answers have been posted here on ETS, randomly, and answered here; e.g. what does lab work mean? Or what is that stuff you’re drinking onstage?
    If this ever happens again, I'd love to be involved. I could definitely come up with some great questions and things we've always wondered about, without probing into territory that's too personal or things that have already been talked about ad nauseam.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    If this ever happens again, I'd love to be involved. I could definitely come up with some great questions and things we've always wondered about, without probing into territory that's too personal or things that have already been talked about ad nauseam.
    Let’s team up!

The first thing we definitely need to clear up is cocksucking chicken wing and Schizophreniasdiary.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    he was being coy about it, like he shouldn't have had the instrumentals or something, and his responses were annoying a lot of people. Mostly because they were responses to the questions of "how do you have these" and "how are you going to share them".

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Let’s team up!

The first thing we definitely need to clear up is cocksucking chicken wing and Schizophreniasdiary.
    One of the first things I'd ask about right now (and perhaps they couldn't legally confirm it was the case) would be "Was any of the music in Ghosts V and VI originally meant/created for the score for The Woman in the Window?" Many people on ETS have speculated this to be the case (and they may be right), but it would be nice to have an official confirmation on this and maybe hear more about the decision to repurpose the music and if they changed or evolved it between pulling out of scoring the movie and releasing it under NIN.

It would be nice to know if the song titles for Quake were always official (whether named by Trent or the id Software staff) or if he just "went with" the (fan made?) titles that have been floating around the internet for decades.

I'd also like to know if there's any chance we could ever hear the songs they created during the initial sessions for Bad Witch, before starting over. Maybe bonus tracks for an eventual deluxe package that finally combines all of the "trilogy" EPs into one album (perhaps with a new sequence?).

Finally, I've noticed since Year Zero that they rarely make (or at least release) traditional music videos anymore. There have really only been two music videos in the past decade (Came Back Haunted and Less Than), unless you count the "performance" videos for The Lovers and Ahead of Ourselves (I think these are better than the aforementioned videos anyway, so I'd be happy with them continuing to make videos like this going forward). For a band that has some of the most amazing conceptual music videos ever (looking at you, Closer and The Perfect Drug!), I'd like to hear Trent's thoughts on why they seemingly don't care to make videos anymore. I think it would be nice to see a cool new music video that they put some money into, but with Trent's track record of being disappointed by videos and shelving them, I'm sure he's hesitant to invest too much into them these days. Maybe I answered my own question there, but I'd like to hear his thoughts on the matter.
    Last edited by sonic_discord; 05-24-2021 at 10:47 AM.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Finally, I've noticed since Year Zero that they rarely make (or at least release) traditional music videos anymore.
    TR sort of answered this long ago, way before Year Zero. Said he didn't like the music videos as a form from the very start and they were doing them because record companies wanted it and paid for them too (and NIN in turn tried to make them as cool/weird as possible). Notice how NIN also basically stopped making Halo/CD singles after YZ (read: after leaving Interscope)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    TR sort of answered this long ago, way before Year Zero. Said he didn't like the music videos as a form from the very start and they were doing them because record companies wanted it and paid for them too (and NIN in turn tried to make them as cool/weird as possible). Notice how NIN also basically stopped making Halo/CD singles after YZ (read: after leaving Interscope)
    Probably also affected by the decline in physical media at the time. But also this makes me sad because I remember bands putting weird songs on b-sides and now there isn't a b-side to anything so you don't get that anymore.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Probably also affected by the decline in physical media at the time. But also this makes me sad because I remember bands putting weird songs on b-sides and now there isn't a b-side to anything so you don't get that anymore.
    i don’t get this honestly. I listen to a lot of bands that release b-sides, digital EP’s, remixes, etc on a regular basis without physical media. I wish Nine Inch Nails would do this!!! If anything, I expected the shift to streaming to result in MORE regular output from artists and not less. I really hope they do more of the digital stuff they did with HM with the next release (e.g. seed 7 and 8).

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Finally, I've noticed since Year Zero that they rarely make (or at least release) traditional music videos anymore. There have really only been two music videos in the past decade (Came Back Haunted and Less Than), unless you count the "performance" videos for The Lovers and Ahead of Ourselves (I think these are better than the aforementioned videos anyway, so I'd be happy with them continuing to make videos like this going forward). For a band that has some of the most amazing conceptual music videos ever (looking at you, Closer and The Perfect Drug!), I'd like to hear Trent's thoughts on why they seemingly don't care to make videos anymore. I think it would be nice to see a cool new music video that they put some money into, but with Trent's track record of being disappointed by videos and shelving them, I'm sure he's hesitant to invest too much into them these days. Maybe I answered my own question there, but I'd like to hear his thoughts on the matter.[/QUOTE]

A great music video is really hard to make and expensive - millions of dollars. With the music industry in the toilet, you basically have to fund it yourself. Now one might consider doing just that if they think that there is going to be a real upside in terms of exposure, or just an artistic statement that will connect with the audience. But right now with social media shelf life, a great music video will not last a long time. It's just not like the 90's anymore. Every once in a while you get something like, "This is America", which was a bold and beautiful and haunting work of art that kind of held the national attention for maybe a couple weeks. But if Closer came out today, would it hit as many eyeballs and hold their attention for long in this marketplace of over saturation, micro news cycles, and fragmentation of media? It would just feel like a waste of time and money I think.

I LOVED the art form. Like the videos that came out from 94-97... just legendary. But what can you do? Media and culture are what they are now. It's just splintered out and there is not going to be another MTV coming along.

I wouldn't pretend to know what Trent thinks or feels about music videos, but that's the context that exists right now as I understand it. Sad, sad, sad.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    That's why I think it would be a bit of a stretch but he did sing some backing vocals in HTDA if I remember correctly, so it's not impossible!