Page 74 of 512 FirstFirst ... 24 64 72 73 74 75 76 84 124 174 ... LastLast
Results 2,191 to 2,220 of 15828

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magrão View Post
    @botley was just recently complimenting this cheap but apparently quality Sony model: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRZX100-...=IJPJ3N4WSS3M4

I picked up the same ones a few months back and I really enjoy them.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortfeazor View Post
    Tempting, they seem to get really great reviews, but they're a bit out of the range I'm looking at. I've never been a big headphone user, but I've been wanting to take some more time listening to music lately, but if that doesn't pan out I don't want to be out much.

Any other suggestions in the sub-$40 range?
    these panasonic headphones are fantastic. i have them, my fiancee has them, and my mom has them. when i was attending school for sound design a few years ago, one of my teachers did a pink noise test with them and said that they're comparable to some $300+ professional monitor headphones, and that it's amazing they're as inexpensive as they are. they're also super comfy.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pigpen View Post
    Might I suggest a pair of Sony MDR7506's?
    An audio engineer friend of mine gave them to me and they have ruined all of my other headphones for me.. Compared to these, it
    sounded as I had cotton stuffed in my ears. Copy Of A sounds great in these things!
    I just ordered these headphones based on this recommendation (and then spent some time digging to find this post and give a proper thank you). They should arrive around the same time as the physical album, so I'm looking forward to REALLY hearing the album. Also, if I'm not mistaken, these are the same phones Trent is wearing in the Still video for SICNH, no?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguymark View Post
    Also, if I'm not mistaken, these are the same phones Trent is wearing in the Still video for SICNH, no?
    You are not mistaken!

When you initially get them, they'll probably seem a little flat sounding, but don't be afraid, they do have a "burn in" stage and also
    they're meant to give a more well rounded sound.. You'll love them. They've actually kind of ruined all of my other headphones since
    they're so clear, and you can really tell what piles of shit eveything else is.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I always thought it'd be cool if on any given NIN album there'd be a commentary much like what a movie has on DVD/Blu-Ray, such a commentary could be behind the scenes technoblabber from Trent & Co. about all the production and engineering that went into crafting the music.

Why the hell don't artists do things like this? would seem like an amazing thing for the fans not to mention lots of great insight. I know I'd love to hear it.

I don't need to know much about the lyrical content of course, that's ultimately up for us to guess at and decipher and make our own, part of why Trent doesn't like to allude to what the lyrics are usually about but at least he could go over some of the song construction, that'd be neat!

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    Why the hell don't artists do things like this? would seem like an amazing thing for the fans not to mention lots of great insight. I know I'd love to hear it.

I don't need to know much about the lyrical content of course, that's ultimately up for us to guess at and decipher and make our own, part of why Trent doesn't like to allude to what the lyrics are usually about but at least he could go over some of the song construction, that'd be neat!
    That's actually not an uncommon thing these days for albums - it's a fantastic potential bonus thing, the only issue is getting an artist to have something to say about every track, and something pertinent and interesting, plus them WANTING to dissect a track. Someone like Trent would probably always shy away from such a thing as he doesn't do much talking about his songs. Now, a disc for Ghosts with the whole team on, that would be neat

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Here is a little something I've done this morning. I hope wome of you will enjoy it !
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/9vi3ik3p19...emorabilia.mp3

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Is there some kind of vocal sample played during the chorus of Gave Up when Robin and the other member do the "Smashed up my sanity" line? Either that or some vocal effect on the microphone? I've always wondered how Gave Up always had that similar distorted "gremlin" vocal thing going on that generally sounds the same.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    Is there some kind of vocal sample played during the chorus of Gave Up when Robin and the other member do the "Smashed up my sanity" line? Either that or some vocal effect on the microphone? I've always wondered how Gave Up always had that similar distorted "gremlin" vocal thing going on that generally sounds the same.
    i'm pretty sure they're just singing in a growly falsetto.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Random NIN Thoughts

I just had a listen to about 5 different recordings and they all sound very similar...

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpiusdiamond View Post
    I just had a listen to about 5 different recordings and they all sound very similar...
    Yeah that was the thing I noticed too, I had listened to the And All That Could Have Been version the day before and just recently watched Beside You In Time and thought how the vocals were almost identical.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    I'm pretty sure the chorus vocals have been a sample in live performances from the start. The live chorus vocals always struck me as a little corny compared to how the album version sounds.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    I'm pretty sure the chorus vocals have been a sample in live performances from the start. The live chorus vocals always struck me as a little corny compared to how the album version sounds.
    as in they're mock singing it? or the sample is overlaid in live performances?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    as in they're mock singing it? or the sample is overlaid in live performances?
    I was wondering if they were mock singing it myself...or maybe the sample is just played so heavy in the mix it overshadows any other backing vocal.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    I was wondering if they were mock singing it myself...or maybe the sample is just played so heavy in the mix it overshadows any other backing vocal.
    The backing vocals were usually too low in the mix to really hear on that track, but in these recent webcasts, they've been up enough in the mix that you can actually hear Josh and Robin singing along.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    definitely. there's no way anyone in the band could keep all those choruses on pitch and in time during that madness, especially not TR — not to be offensive, it was as true during the Self Destruct tour as it is now.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I am watching The King Of Kong tonight purely because of Josh Freese.
    /fanboy

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    anyone ever notice the opening drums to 'get down, make love' are very similar to 'hyperpower!'s drums?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Also, the bass from 'The New Flesh' and 'On We March' from The Social Network are definitely related.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Random NIN Thoughts

That album is going to leak when I'm on be coach to London tonight. I just know it!

(Why the fuck did I book the coach?!? Fuck sakes)

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Siren View Post
    That album is going to leak when I'm on be coach to London tonight. I just know it!

(Why the fuck did I book the coach?!? Fuck sakes)
    Because coach is ridiculously cheap and the sexiest way to travel

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Want a truly terrifying NIN experience? Listen to Hyperpower's "Misery" track from the YZR multitracks. Goddamn it, it gave me nightmares.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    Want a truly terrifying NIN experience? Listen to Hyperpower's "Misery" track from the YZR multitracks. Goddamn it, it gave me nightmares.
    I spent all of yesterday fiddling with Hyperpower, and I'm still shellshocked from having to hear the finale of that element again and again.

As day-ruining as it is, it's curious how some of those backing tracks in Hyperpower tell a bit of a story all on their own. IIRC it's that track which consists of cows and insects early on (you'd never hear it in the full mix), then voices, then distant explosions and screaming, then close bomb drops and yelling, then VERY LOUD gunfire and ending in a horribly distorted shriek.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME WHY I DIDN'T KNOW THIS

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME WHY I DIDN'T KNOW THIS

They have a whole album! You should download it immediately.

Last night, I dreamed that Copy Of A was an exact replica of Ponygrinder by Tweaker. With Trent singing over it.
    I haven't heard a note of anything new other than Came Back Haunted... I think I'm beginning to steadily go mad.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Yeah, that was kind of amazing, almost made me think some of the multitracks could stand on their own (and they did, as a part of Vessel was used for that horrible alarm in one of the ARG sites). Also, I listened closely to the distorted voice that says "hyperpower!", and it sounds like it's Trent with his voice filtered to sound like a crowd.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Believe it or not, the plugin that he used to make his voice sound like a crowd is the same one he used when saying "God given". It just has the settings tweaked differently. I've seen it used to make whispers out of normal speech in post production before as well.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    When Trent wrote and released March Of The Pigs, do you think he knew he created a song that's impossible not to like and would never get complained about? I wouldn't care if it OPENED and CLOSED every god damn live show.

So much adrenaline, and the All The Pigs, All Lined Up extended outro makes me want to endlessly cum.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    When Trent wrote and released March Of The Pigs, do you think he knew he created a song that's impossible not to like and would never get complained about? I wouldn't care if it OPENED and CLOSED every god damn live show.

So much adrenaline, and the All The Pigs, All Lined Up extended outro makes me want to endlessly cum.
    He knew it.

Why do people hate on Getting Smaller!? "I thought I got you on my side, I haven't got fucking anything"
    is such a badass line to me that it makes the entire song BAD ASS!!!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pigpen View Post
    He knew it.

Why do people hate on Getting Smaller!? "I thought I got you on my side, I haven't got fucking anything"
    is such a badass line to me that it makes the entire song BAD ASS!!!
    I feel like it's the lyrics. Flip flop flip flop flip, etc etc etc.

But still, with lines like the one you mentioned, and "I've still got my one good arm, that I can beat my ooooooooooHHH I CAN BEAT MYSELF UP WITH", that's fucking hardcore.