Page 512 of 528 FirstFirst ... 12 412 462 502 510 511 512 513 514 522 ... LastLast
Results 15,331 to 15,360 of 15828

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volk View Post
    We're probably not going to get many more albums or tours from NIN as we know it. We're all getting old.
    I've thought about this more than a little recently.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Here’s one I don’t think we’ve talked about much.

Listening to The Slip for the first time in a while, and the “how did I slip into—” part of 999,999 kinda sounds like TR is reading from a longer verse or piece of prose or something. Does anyone know anything more about it? Read anything?
    In addition to this, has there ever been any more discussion via official sources about the album cover? Why the red line sort of glitches once it reaches the head on the cover?

https://www.nin.wiki/The_Slip

The stuff Rob mentions is very interesting in the artwork section (I think I added that there a while ago).

Also, did anyone from the camp ever mention why Letting You has the ARG flag? Was it a track originally intended for YZ?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)

Also, did anyone from the camp ever mention why Letting You has the ARG flag? Was it a track originally intended for YZ?
    I think Rob said something on Facebook about there being an obvious conceptual connection via the lyrics but it wasn't an outtake or anything like that.
    Last edited by botley; 02-17-2022 at 02:13 PM.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    ^ Cheers!

I wouldn’t want Trent to be my dad and yell at me if I accidentally deleted a key part of a new song:

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Hard to believe Sin is in the top 10 most played live songs as of right now. It feels like a rarity when it’s played!

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Sorry for the triple post, but this just came to my head like 10 seconds ago while I was trying to fall asleep.
    @piggy - you know how The Frail has the same piano coda/melody whatever as The Fragile? Am I slow or has this been pointed out before? -

The Frail
    The Fra(g)il(e)

Intentional?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Hard to believe Sin is in the top 10 most played live songs as of right now. It feels like a rarity when it’s played!

Top 20 may be cool for someone like Nickelback or Nirvana (*crowd gasps), but since there are something like 200 unique songs played live, it'd be cool to get a top 50 view of this same data. First reactions:

• Amazing to me that BMWAG was the #4 TDS track for the first ~88 TDS era shows. I wish I got to see one of them.
    • Funny to watch DII fall off a cliff after TF. Yeet!
    • Seeing TL and Sin droop hurts my soul. Starting a show with them back to back is the stuff of dreams. Please bring them back!

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Do they cite how they've compiled the data? I presume NINtourHISTORY is still active & @Cameo's HIH page has some great research.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FULLMETAL View Post
    Do they cite how they've compiled the data? I presume NINtourHISTORY is still active & @Cameo's HIH page has some great research.
    If they're doing a bunch of other artists I figure they must have built a bot to mine setlist.fm or similar.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Sorry for the triple post, but this just came to my head like 10 seconds ago while I was trying to fall asleep.
    @piggy - you know how The Frail has the same piano coda/melody whatever as The Fragile? Am I slow or has this been pointed out before? -

The Frail
    The Fra(g)il(e)

Intentional?
    Are you asking if the spelling/visual similarity of the two words is a factor in why TR chose them for the titles? I kinda doubt it. I think it's just the similar meanings, but you never know.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    Are you asking if the spelling/visual similarity of the two words is a factor in why TR chose them for the titles? I kinda doubt it. I think it's just the similar meanings, but you never know.
    Yeah, like add two letters and then you have The Fragile, kinda neat whether intentional or not. I only just thought of it last night while drifting off to sleep.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

The Frail
    The Fra(g)il(e)

Intentional?
    I definitely think so. I think repeated musical motifs were a theme for that record too cause look how La Mer and Into the Void share the same bass line.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm hoping we get a larger tour of North America later this year or next year. I'd like to see NIN live one more time, at least, having missed out since Hesitation Marks.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I was in a basic music introduction class that I was taking for a credit in college and we started discussing leitmotifs and I was like, "so that's what Trent was doing on The Fragile!"

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    I wonder if Aphex Twin got the “bbm-bbm-dsh” idea of At The Heart Of It All from the Closer the video, with the heart making that same “dsh” sound each time it beats?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    My understanding is that Aphex Twin didn't actually remix the tracks he did on FDTS, but sent original tracks instead since he wasn't a big fan.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    My understanding is that Aphex Twin didn't actually remix the tracks he did on FDTS, but sent original tracks instead since he wasn't a big fan.
    Yeah, I read something along those lines. I’m just wondering since Closer was so big at the time, maybe he saw that image and sound and it lingered somewhere at the back of his mind. They’re both pretty distinctive.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    It is quite a rarity when it's played now. It got a big boost on the front end from being played at practically every show through 2000. Happiness in Heresy has some good visualization of the songs being played over the years:

https://happinessinheresy.com/songs-...t-played-live/

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    ^ That’s pretty cool.

Any petty grievances about songs anyone has? For me, no matter how hard I try, I still struggle to hear the word “chipping” in Last.

Also, I like how on the album version of With Teeth (title track) Trent went with the (slightly altered line so it didn’t match the song title) of “the lines begin to blur”. But all live versions I’ve heard have him say “the line begins to blur”.

/rant

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    I’m on a roll…

Has TR ever made it apparent why he tends to favour “Reptile” as a song to do with other artists? Bowie, Numan, Murphy…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    no idea, but my guess would be that it shows off vocals really well and its somewhat slow paced which both are quite common in all of those people’s music

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    For me, no matter how hard I try, I still struggle to hear the word “chipping” in Last.
    What do you hear there?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    What do you hear there?
    ...until i saw this i didn't know he ever said chipping, and i think i assumed he just said "slipping away" twice. now i hear it though, and feel very dumb for that one, but at least i'm not alone here.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    What do you hear there?
    I’m not sure. I think “slipping” but it probably sounds clearer through headphones, which I rarely use. My ears always miss the “ch” sound.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    OMG, I think I was hearing "slipping" twice as well. That's crazy!

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Given the pandemic and how depressed everyone has been by it, TR should totally open the first show of 2022 with Everything into Deep just to fuck with us.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I was watching the edited performance of Happiness In Slavery from Woodstock, the one that was dubbed/remixed because I was trying to find a performance to show someone and I get why it was remixed or whatever they did but fuck me the video editing bugs me. The lack of continuity between edits like one shot of Trent suddenly having a guitar then the next cut it’s gone just irk me so much.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disassociative View Post
    I was watching the edited performance of Happiness In Slavery from Woodstock, the one that was dubbed/remixed because I was trying to find a performance to show someone and I get why it was remixed or whatever they did but fuck me the video editing bugs me. The lack of continuity between edits like one shot of Trent suddenly having a guitar then the next cut it’s gone just irk me so much.
    Yeah there's pretty terrible edit out there where they very obviously added footage from other songs for no reason.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    I wonder why TR decided just to call Physical Physical and dropped the (You’re So) from the original track name?

Morrissey did a similar thing with “Some Say (I Got Devil)” and his version is just “Some Say I Got Devil”.

I’ve often wondered why artists do that.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I wonder why TR decided just to call Physical Physical and dropped the (You’re So) from the original track name?

Morrissey did a similar thing with “Some Say (I Got Devil)” and his version is just “Some Say I Got Devil”.

I’ve often wondered why artists do that.
    Easy answer can be found in the song title from Locusts: "When It Brackets (Don't Use Them)".