Page 504 of 528 FirstFirst ... 4 404 454 494 502 503 504 505 506 514 ... LastLast
Results 15,091 to 15,120 of 15828

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I seem to have mispoke about the Drab Majesty record. It was actually produced by Josh Eustis (another former member of NIN )

Just scrolling through JMJ's wiki, and holy shit! Dude gets around.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    100 likes and 1 dislike on this video.

Love that it includes the “I am building something terrible with all of this” line at the end.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Moreover, I always forget how powerful this performance of SICNH was I recorded back in 2009. Especially that “never…ever…ever…ever…. have” right at the end.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soma View Post
    NIN camp has provided us with a wealth of odd gems these last couple years:

Watchmen soundtrack
    Jehnny Beth “To Love Is To Live” a few tracks produced by Atticus
    Tobacco - “Babysitter”
    Ghosts V / VI
    Mogwai - “Midnight Flit feat Atticus”
    Mank soundtrack
    Soul soundtrack
    HEALTH x Nine Inch Nails “Isn’t Everyone”

JMJ produced the most recent Drab Majesty record, as well as the upcoming Deafheaven record. Also performed with St. Vincent for her recent SNL performance.

Josh Freese & Robin Finck are featured heavily on the new Danny Elfman record.

Ilan recently released a single under his own name. Looks like he is still with Angels & Airwaves.

It seems like Ally is always releasing something new! Most recently SCURO CHIARO

And now the upcoming Halsey album -
    I can’t say I’m a fan of Halsey’s previous work, but I’m willing to be surprised!
    Another thing I just remembered: Robin also did guitar for the Wolfenstein: Youngblood game soundtrack. That was 2019, maybe? So between NIN tours or whatever.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Did TR ever mention that WITT is his tribute/own version of “Heroes” by Bowie?

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    When I was a kid, I bought the Symphony of Destruction single. I was thrilled that the B-side had a "Gristle Mix" by one Trent Reznor.

Well, I looked it up on YouTube today, and realized that there are ABSOLUTELY samples from Happiness in Slavery in that mix.

And THEN, I found out that there was a longer mix on a Megadeth CD release, and I heard something in THAT that sounded very "proto Wish," as far as the drum pattern.

It SURE sounds like Trent used samples from Broken on the Symphony mix.

What I'M wondering, is, which came first: the megadeth remix, or broken.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    When I was a kid, I bought the Symphony of Destruction single. I was thrilled that the B-side had a "Gristle Mix" by one Trent Reznor.

Well, I looked it up on YouTube today, and realized that there are ABSOLUTELY samples from Happiness in Slavery in that mix.

And THEN, I found out that there was a longer mix on a Megadeth CD release, and I heard something in THAT that sounded very "proto Wish," as far as the drum pattern.

It SURE sounds like Trent used samples from Broken on the Symphony mix.

What I'M wondering, is, which came first: the megadeth remix, or broken.
    That's a great question, "Countdown to extinction" was released in July 92 and the first single was "Symphony of Destruction", the "Grisle Mix" was released sometime in 1992, but not sure if it was pre o post Broken. Either way i'm sure Trent used some ideas for broken in the remix just to test how they worked.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Why is Trent explaining the hummingbirds in the background of the "In Conversation" track from HM the best thing ever?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    It's a real shame we never got to see Bowie and Trent perform "I'm Afraid Of Americans" together. I feel like it would have happened at some point had Bowie continued to tour.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    That's a great question, "Countdown to extinction" was released in July 92 and the first single was "Symphony of Destruction", the "Grisle Mix" was released sometime in 1992, but not sure if it was pre o post Broken. Either way i'm sure Trent used some ideas for broken in the remix just to test how they worked.
    Wish had been played live in 1991 prior to Broken's release in 1992, and from what I recall those live versions are not hugely different from the studio version. Which would suggest it was Wish that influenced the remix, as opposed to the other way around.

Edit: Here's a decent bootleg from July 1991 with a performance of Wish. So a year before Countdown to Extinction, and over a year before Broken (September 1992).
    Last edited by Jazzkokehead; 07-24-2021 at 08:50 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Just finished watching the Coachella 2005 show. The energy's off the charts! The Frail leading into the Wretched is such a cool way to open the set. I love how punky and noisy Aaron's guitar playing is too.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acrid avid jam shred View Post
    Just finished watching the Coachella 2005 show. The energy's off the charts! The Frail leading into the Wretched is such a cool way to open the set. I love how punky and noisy Aaron's guitar playing is too.
    That was only done a handful of times. I never tire of re-watching it the time I recorded it!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    That's so awesome! I'd absolutely love to see NIN at Hordern Pavilion.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Check out the rest of the footage! Camera died at the beginning of The Fragile otherwise I’d have recorded the entire thing.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzkokehead View Post
    Wish had been played live in 1991 prior to Broken's release in 1992, and from what I recall those live versions are not hugely different from the studio version. Which would suggest it was Wish that influenced the remix, as opposed to the other way around.

Edit: Here's a decent bootleg from July 1991 with a performance of Wish. So a year before Countdown to Extinction, and over a year before Broken (September 1992).
    I did not know that, thanks for sharing!

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    3:38 onwards = eargasm.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    it's fun, until the power goes out...

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Watching this for the 108,398th time.

I really want to know what TR was thinking when he named this piece “Just Like You Imagined”. The real specifics behind giving that song that name. Maybe a message to his late grandmother, in the sense that: “yes, just like you imagined, I came up with something this epic. You would be proud.” I don’t know, but the triumphant sound of the song coupled with that title always makes me wonder.

PS - why weren’t there more songs recorded from this session?!

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    it's fun, until the power goes out...
    Yeah, but then you get exciting moments like this.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post

PS - why weren’t there more songs recorded from this session?!
    My best guess would be is they just went through this song multiple times.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    From the videos I've seen since he re-joined, Robin hasn't played the part of this song starting at 3:30 correctly/fully since this rendition of the band. It drives me crazy, especially since in this video the part sounds really cool. In AATCHB, the guitar is a bit quiet, alike the same sequence in the album version of the song, so this video is the clearest version of the part I've heard. I should check out the ninlive site for some audio.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    My best guess would be is they just went through this song multiple times.
    I wish rehearsal footage existed of them trying to get Where Is Everybody? right with that part Charlie always talks about where he nails the “whoaoaoaaoaaaaa” part.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I had no idea this existed, i'm so happy i found it today!

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Watching this for the 108,398th time.

I really want to know what TR was thinking when he named this piece “Just Like You Imagined”. The real specifics behind giving that song that name. Maybe a message to his late grandmother, in the sense that: “yes, just like you imagined, I came up with something this epic. You would be proud.” I don’t know, but the triumphant sound of the song coupled with that title always makes me wonder.
    I always thought it was about the intensity of life: just the ups and downs of normal life, being "just like you imagined" when you were a kid.
    I have this idea that that song is meant to represent how powerful a life can be, with all of its struggles and triumphs, joy and tears.

And that fits with my interpretation of The Pilgrimage being about the shared, awkward ass high school.experience we all go through.

Of course, that's just one interpretation of an instrumental with a cryptic four word title.

I guess it's more of a "what it means to me" sort of thing, BUT, I felt.strongly enough to call a musical duo in which I used to play "JLYI" or "Just Like You Imagined."
    Last edited by elevenism; 08-11-2021 at 09:25 AM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I was thinking... If TR ever got separated or divorced would he start playing That's What I Get live again?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    I was thinking... If TR ever got separated or divorced would he start playing That's What I Get live again?
    "Trent should start using drugs again. His music was so much better when he was on drugs."

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    putting the horse before the cart a bit here, eh?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Yeah, if something as major as that happened in Trent's life, he'd absolutely dig up a song from 1989 that's about as subtle and well-written as a brick through a window to illustrate how he feels.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Oh, c'mon guys. @mfte was basically musing on whether Trent might play a sad song if he were ever sad enough again, and he MIGHT have been halfway kidding. He wasn't HOPING for Trent's divorce, or relapse.

Also, @gorast , TWIG is one of my favorite songs of all time. I've been an NIN fanatic since 1992, and it just so happens that they had exactly ONE studio album back then. I was twelve. The album was great. The song was great.
    Last edited by elevenism; 08-12-2021 at 11:01 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    True heads know that I was joking.

I will use italics when attempting further comedy.