Page 496 of 528 FirstFirst ... 396 446 486 494 495 496 497 498 506 ... LastLast
Results 14,851 to 14,880 of 15828

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    In another random thought, I will be AMAZED if NIN aid not retired soon. Rationale? Well Trent and Atticus are getting WAY s’more affirmation and money and awards and opportunities as composers. Like it doesn’t even compare now. Meanwhile the music industry is shit, they can’t make much from NIN, they are aging, their fan base is generally aging and not very diverse (myself included) and people think of NIN as a legacy act in spite of their new materials being just as incredible as anything from back then. Furthermore Rock as a genre is barely hanging on and is so outside of the culture now. And speaking of the culture, everything is shallow now. Few people spend any time with art. You can stream everything in the world for peanuts, a new album gets five minutes of attention. It’s all Instagram and TikTok.

in that kind of atmosphere, what in the world would motivate you to keep pushing that boulder up the hill? I know he does it as a vehicle of self-expression and because he just enjoys it, but he is also the kind of person who would never want to keep something going just to keep it going.

I bet we have one NIN album left if we are lucky. I hope I am wrong, but you can’t argue with the way I have described the landscape and the situation. I think NIN has produced some of the greatest, most relevant and vital music in the world in the past few years. But that world sucks and doesn’t appreciate good things any more. How long do you give your pearls to swine who don’t deserve it (present company excluded of course). Trent has a lot of integrity and perseverance, I’ll give him that. I’d be too disillusioned to even try anymore. Too attracted by what earning me the awards and too pissed at the poor taste of Americans.
    Sorry, but I can't really agree with this. Maybe I'm biased, and it's just my personal, selfish desire to want Trent to work on NIN until the end of time, but I still don't see this happening. Wasn't there just an interview recently where Trent said he was excited to get back to touring in a post-COVID world? Doesn't sound like something a guy ready to throw in the towel would say. While I have no idea how much money he's pulling in for a film score, the amount he makes on touring and merchandise can't be small. And I also think NIN is a pretty mutable entity, especially live; if a future live show was just Trent, a piano, and maybe a few string or keyboard accompaniments, I'd still buy the shit out that ticket.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    There's been literally zero indication that Trent wants to put NIN to rest. On the contrary, he said a lot of times that he's quite comfortable with their present schedule of switching between NIN and score work. Some unexpected opportunities for one project may inspire some new direction in the other one, and, as already said above, putting NIN on hold for a couple of years makes him eventually miss it and get more excited to come back. Which is precisely the change he needed after non-stop 2005-2009 touring era, which burned him out to the point of potentially retiring the band.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Ilan Rubin has been such a win for the NIN live band. Apart from the fact that he's a great drummer, his ability to switch to guitar, bass or keys as the song demands is fantastic. I think his bass playing on Disappointed live, for example, is a good bit better than Pino Palladino's. Which seems almost heretical to say, given Pino's legendary status, but, well, there it is.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzkokehead View Post
    Ilan Rubin has been such a win for the NIN live band. Apart from the fact that he's a great drummer, his ability to switch to guitar, bass or keys as the song demands is fantastic. I think his bass playing on Disappointed live, for example, is a good bit better than Pino Palladino's. Which seems almost heretical to say, given Pino's legendary status, but, well, there it is.
    pino plays in a VERY particular style. i think it worked on a good bit of the HM material. but i honestly preferred it when josh was on bass. it had more urgency and i think it served the material (especially the older material) better. i actually can't stand the version of MotP with pino on bass. it sounds off.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    pino plays in a VERY particular style. i think it worked on a good bit of the HM material. but i honestly preferred it when josh was on bass. it had more urgency and i think it served the material (especially the older material) better. i actually can't stand the version of MotP with pino on bass. it sounds off.
    I did love Pino’s Sanctified, but I also loved the bass in the Sanctified from the festivals, which I assume was Josh? But they both had their merits

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I did love Pino’s Sanctified, but I also loved the bass in the Sanctified from the festivals, which I assume was Josh? But they both had their merits
    yeah, festival version was josh, which i also preferred. it was sexy instead of noodly. i don't want noodly bass in NIN.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    yeah, festival version was josh, which i also preferred. it was sexy instead of noodly. i don't want noodly bass in NIN.
    Ha there was a certain throbbing style about it that fit, I can see that. It was very forthright

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I actually liked Pino's bass on March of the Pigs. The song hasn't been played with a huge amount of variation for literal decades now; what he brought to it was welcome, I thought.

Poor Josh Eustis, though. Talented guy who seems to have really gotten a raw deal.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Re-reading this and I can’t help wondering where the Super 8 footage vanished to... or who stole it and still has it to this day?

https://pantograph-punch.com/posts/i...-simon-maxwell

And from what I remember, someone stole all the Super 8 footage! It just disappeared. It was shot all over the country in the States, then it was shipped to LA and then it was shipped back to England. When we came to put it all together, a lot of the Super 8 footage had disappeared. I knew we had it – I had seen the rolls of film – but when we came to put it together – you know, we had these rolls sitting next to the telecine machine - I am going, “Where the fuck is all the Super 8?” Because that was the idea, capturing the essence of the whole gig on Super 8, and intercutting it with the high production, 35mm stuff. But – it disappeared!
    How weird.
    That kind of put a spanner in the works, and we were really short on that footage. It’s not something you can go back and repeat again. So yeah, that did cause a problem. And we didn’t reshoot anything as the tour had finished.
    So the ‘Hurt’ video was done and dusted before then, and that was quite a straight-forward process. And it evolved a little bit, but effectively that never changed.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Up until recently NIN were listed as an artist with Capitol Records, I guess from the Bad Witch era (not sure if they were on Capitol for the 2 EPs?) - not anymore, sign something is afoot?
    https://www.capitolrecords.com/artists/#/

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I'm finally, FINALLY in a position to sell on the OG vinyl I've been meaning to shift for ages (but I'm too nervous to post it), my favourit erecord store that I haven't been near for 18 months is opposite the vaccination centre I'm heading to this afternoon.

BUT

my plan was to sell my OG so I could buy up definitive editions and they're all unobtanium now! Bah.

Still going to sell I think, if they'll take them for a reasonable price. Reasonable being: fair enough, I'm going to make less than if I sold em but I'm not dealing with postage.

Argh

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    lol remember in 2017 they announced definitive editions of all the records were coming but it's 4 years later and there's about half left not reissued?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    lol remember in 2017 they announced definitive editions of all the records were coming but it's 4 years later and there's about half left not reissued?
    This is the way.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    all the records were coming
    I don't remember hearing 'all' the records were coming as Definitive Editions, where did that announcement happen?

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I don't remember hearing 'all' the records were coming as Definitive Editions, where did that announcement happen?
    ALL NINE INCH NAILS RECORDS BEING REISSUED ON VINYL

"THE FIRST THREE DEFINITIVE EDITIONS (BROKEN, THE DOWNWARD SPIRAL AND THE FRAGILE) ARE AVAILABLE FOR PREORDER NOW IN THE NIN STORE (SHIPPING SPRING ’17), WITH THE REST TO FOLLOW IN ’17."

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Thanks for digging that up. It's disappointing that the reissues stalled, and of course I want them to continue, but just to be nit-picky I'll note that in the body of the text it says 'all the main NIN releases', which going by their own discography listing includes PHM (already remastered and reissued in 2010), the three that did come out in 2017, With Teeth (reissued 2019), Year Zero, Ghosts I–IV, The Slip, Hesitation Marks, the EP trilogy, and the last two Ghosts volumes. I think even if they just do Year Zero and The Slip (still advertised as 'coming soon' on 2xLP), and leave it at that, they'll be able to say they finished the Definitive Edition series. Let's hope that happens this year (along with a physical Ghosts V–VI release?)...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Yup. Love that they let Jon take the floor.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by artdeco View Post
    I agree TR/AR class acts and happy for Jon, although a mention other than “for us” would have been nice.
    Last edited by ekrekel; 04-25-2021 at 10:24 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    If you're inducted to the R&RHOF, win a Golden Globe and an Oscar in a 6 month period...you're in a fucking good run! (well deserved, we all know).

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by artdeco View Post
    That dude was SUPER excited!!! Good speech and, yeah, they seemed cool with taking a backseat. Fucking congrats.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    2 oscars is a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Two-time Academy Award-winners Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross, ladies and gentlemen!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    2 oscars is a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Screw it, let’s go for a 3rd. So happy for the guys to win tonight

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Congratulations to Trent, Atticus and Jon. I will be honest though, I haven’t seen the movie yet. Lol.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Can't help but think the more recognition Trent and Atticus keep getting for their score work is just another nail in the Nine Inch Nails coffin. At this point NIN is already a side project and scoring is the main thing. Now more and more bigwig Hollywood studios are going to commission them for score work. Get ready for another 10 scores in the next 4 years and one four song NIN EP to tide us over in that same stretch

RIP NIN 1988-2021?

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    RIP NIN 1988-2021?
    Yes, this is exactly what they said.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Since the conversation seems to be here, I’ll add this

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Can't help but think the more recognition Trent and Atticus keep getting for their score work is just another nail in the Nine Inch Nails coffin. At this point NIN is already a side project and scoring is the main thing. Now more and more bigwig Hollywood studios are going to commission them for score work. Get ready for another 10 scores in the next 4 years and one four song NIN EP to tide us over in that same stretch

RIP NIN 1988-2021?
    I actually prefer now to back in 2005 - 2009 to when Trent clearly burnt himself out on touring. I'm happy for a tour every few years, absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

RIP NIN 1988-2021?
    So, someone else in another thread expressed a similar thought, and I replied with this:

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzkokehead View Post
    Sorry, but I can't really agree with this. Maybe I'm biased, and it's just my personal, selfish desire to want Trent to work on NIN until the end of time, but I still don't see this happening. Wasn't there just an interview recently where Trent said he was excited to get back to touring in a post-COVID world? Doesn't sound like something a guy ready to throw in the towel would say. While I have no idea how much money he's pulling in for a film score, the amount he makes on touring and merchandise can't be small. And I also think NIN is a pretty mutable entity, especially live; if a future live show was just Trent, a piano, and maybe a few string or keyboard accompaniments, I'd still buy the shit out that ticket.
    And y'know, if the only NIN release we get in the next few years is a four-song EP, I'm pretty okay with that provided the songs are good.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Why even have this conversation to begin with? Trent and Atticus have been showered with commercial acclaims for their non-NIN works for a decade now, so what kind of logic would suggest that this was supposed to be the last nail in NIN's coffin? Do you think Trent was shrugging off his previous awards (including a FUCKING OSCARS), but now that he got his second Oscars, he's like "oh shit, this score thingy may really take off!!!!!! I better stop doing NIN stuff!!!!" Do you think fucking Hollywood execs was blind to them before, but now that they got their second Academy Award, they are like "oh shit boss!! look at those guys! ever heard of them?!"

Come on now, don't be silly. Trent has always been very liberal with his breaks from NIN, so it's nothing new. We are not even in the most dire years of NIN production of its career.

Also, congrats guys!