Page 458 of 528 FirstFirst ... 358 408 448 456 457 458 459 460 468 508 ... LastLast
Results 13,711 to 13,740 of 15828

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I re-watched the Palladium version of "In This Twilight" again tonight. I really do like what Garson added to the song, he's amazingly talented and I like hearing alternate takes on songs I love. But I think I'll always prefer the original recording of it.

Trent mentioned that he felt like he "hid the song" but honestly? That's what I love most about it. I like that the prettiest parts of the song are sort of hidden under that layer of noise. When I think about the larger context of the Year Zero story: a harsh, hateful world where humanity seems to be in its final stages - "In This Twilight" feels like something precious that was hidden away. It's as if the song is the last lovely thing on earth and somebody was trying to protect it by burying it somewhere.

I can't say enough about that song, it really is beautiful. Hope, regret, longing, grief: you hear it all in there, which makes it a truly authentic representation of the human experience. I've had more than one big, ugly cry to that song. I don't think it needs improving whatsoever, but that's just me and I'm no musician.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    So here I am just listening to the bootleg of the Dec. 18, 2018 concert and watching a "live" stream of a train conductor's cabin view from a train motoring down the tracks... kinda trippy. Especially at a quick speed and some of the quicker paced songs (Gave Up -> Head Like A Hole, for example).

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    So here I am just listening to the bootleg of the Dec. 18, 2018 concert and watching a "live" stream of a train conductor's cabin view from a train motoring down the tracks... kinda trippy. Especially at a quick speed and some of the quicker paced songs (Gave Up -> Head Like A Hole, for example).
    Hahaha I like to throw on Slow TV and listen to music as well. It helps me zone out and relax and fall asleep. Underworld is great with Slow TV train rides.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Hahaha I like to throw on Slow TV and listen to music as well. It helps me zone out and relax and fall asleep. Underworld is great with Slow TV train rides.
    Normally I like to just watch a live web cam of a part of the city I live in... or just a visualizer within iTunes.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I tend to neglect Things Falling Apart but I'm listening to it right now and I always forgot how good Slipping Away is

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    NIN should close out Woodstock 50 and play the same setlist from ‘94 and break all their shit again!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    "For those interested, we will be releasing a more expansive (read: more self-indulgent) physical-only offering this spring that will contain an additional hour of music and artwork that colors further outside the lines… enter at your own risk!"

So, any day now? I was kind of hoping this would coincide with the next batch of DE's and maybe another deviations...

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    "For those interested, we will be releasing a more expansive (read: more self-indulgent) physical-only offering this spring that will contain an additional hour of music and artwork that colors further outside the lines… enter at your own risk!"

So, any day now? I was kind of hoping this would coincide with the next batch of DE's and maybe another deviations...
    The last day of Spring is June 21st.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    definitely a NIN on the drive to work day. have an overwhelming work & am already exhausted from the week. i work for a huge aerospace corporate satan that has been in the news a lot lately. the giant shit storm from said news hit late yesterday. i am going to need all the attitude i can get today!

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Giving new albums some time to breathe and revisiting in a few months is always, always a good idea. The entire EP trilogy is still collectively kicking my ass and now I'm enjoying the tragicomic experience of experiencing the Cold & Black & Infinite tour vicariously through wonderful recordings.

I don't think I'll ever stop bitching about there not being a stop in Canada. I've heard it was because Evenko vetoed the whole Physical World presale aspect, but who knows. Here's hoping for later this year.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    halo 12 was closure, halo 22 was beside you in time, too bad halo 32 wasn't a live album..

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I was listening to Hesitation Marks today, and while I usually skip over Everything, as it started, I realized the intro drum beat is nearly identical to the live intro drum beat to Branches/Bones. I then thought what a mind fuck it would have been if at one of the shows, they did the Fireman intro, and then that drum beat started, and then all of a sudden, he started into Everything. That would have been pretty cool.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I was listening to With Teeth in the car on the way home from somewhere and The Line Begins To Blur came on and it just clicked how lucky I was to hear that song live in Perth on the 2014 tour. Like it has only been performed twice since the Wave Goodbye tour, it's one of my absolute favorite NIN songs and I was fortunate enough to be able to hear it live at the first NIN show I ever went to. It was a total surprise too - they did MOTP before it but instead of the usual All The Pigs, All Lined Up outro thing they went straight into TLBTB. I'm not trying to brag or anything - I just can't believe my luck that TR decided to bust out that song that night only for it to disappear from setlists again afterwards. It was the highlight of the night for me. Well that and singing along to Head Like a Hole with what seemed like the whole arena. I felt like I belonged, and that's a rare feeling for me lol

For anyone curious - https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nine-...-43c2ebe3.html
    Last edited by Disassociative; 04-01-2019 at 09:38 AM.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Not sure if I've ever seen it discussed, but holy shit do I ever love Sheridan's artwork for Head Down in particular.

Art is interpreted person to person in different ways of course, but to me this is just this not-even stick figure, barely there, just a line with its head bowed. Exactly what is says on the box, and it's a really stark, bleak image that perfectly encapsulates the defeated POV of the song.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Yeah, The Slip track artworks definitely seem to be some of the more overlooked things in NIN's artwork. Head Down's is actually my favorite, but Letting You's is pretty interesting as well (and almost makes me think it was an outtake from YZ).

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I agree with the last two posts. I wish every song had accompanying artwork. I love that idea. Why not?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Head Down is my favorite track from The Slip, and IMO it's totally underappreciated.

Would love to see it brought back live someday, I'm glad I saw it in 08 though!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Head Down fucking rules. The live version that was on the DVD was amazing and brought it to another level too.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Today for the first time i heard "The Downward Spiral" with my mother, lol

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabris View Post
    Head Down fucking rules. The live version that was on the DVD was amazing and brought it to another level too.
    My favorite parts are the extra "betcha betcha betcha betcha"'s and the synth part at the end of the song.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    +Appendage is one of the best NIN songs ever created. It's a crying shame that the only version we have with vocals is a shitty mp3 from a shitty cassette rip.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    +Appendage is one of the best NIN songs ever created. It's a crying shame that the only version we have with vocals is a shitty mp3 from a shitty cassette rip.
    has no one bothered to rip a new cassette version? if i had a better tape deck, i'd do it, but mine is just of "acceptable" quality, so it probably wouldn't sound too much better, even if i encode it as a WAV.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I made a new rip a while back in flac, may not be perfect but it's a little better than the old mp3 rip.

http://www.nindestruct.com/music/nin...Appendage.flac

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Hold up!....i just listened to that flac file for +Appendage for the first time and its awesome, but i have to know from what "shitty cassette" this came from??

Edit: ok so i just went ninwiki and it says this track was exclusive to the cassette version of the Fragile. wow i never knew. makes me wonder what other exclusives i am missing out on
    Last edited by snichols; 04-06-2019 at 02:56 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyract View Post
    I made a new rip a while back in flac, may not be perfect but it's a little better than the old mp3 rip.

http://www.nindestruct.com/music/nin...Appendage.flac
    Holy shit. This is like, my holy grail. Thank you so much!

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snichols View Post
    Hold up!....i just listened to that flac file for +Appendage for the first time and its awesome, but i have to know from what "shitty cassette" this came from??

Edit: ok so i just went ninwiki and it says this track was exclusive to the cassette version of the Fragile. wow i never knew. makes me wonder what other exclusives i am missing out on
    I should make a page for tracks only on certain formats.

For now, have a look http://www.nin.wiki/Category:Rare_NIN_Songs

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    Not sure if I've ever seen it discussed, but holy shit do I ever love Sheridan's artwork for Head Down in particular.

Unsure if it was this one, but there was an image shared during the slip era and I believe one of the symbols from the artwork was present in the studio's wall design. Actually I think it was going up pillars. It's probably just my mind making it up though, been almost 11 years now... Then again, maybe it was the other way around and photochopped onto the walls as an easter egg. Can anyone find it or remember? I'm curious to see if my mind is going now.
    Last edited by blassster; 04-06-2019 at 09:56 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Just saw this video that exposes the scientific theories about the future of the universe with cool visuals and music, and basically it comes to the conclusion that it might become a cold and black and infinite place.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    LOVE Head Down -- but I really wish it had less low end deep bass...I always have to turn it wayyyyyy down when I pull up to a red light next to people.

also:
    Quote Originally Posted by mauro995 View Post
    Just saw this video that exposes the scientific theories about the future of the universe with cool visuals and music, and basically it comes to the conclusion that it might become a cold and black and infinite place.

ARG CONFIRMED
    Last edited by Reznor2112; 04-08-2019 at 04:34 PM.