Page 28 of 528 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 78 128 ... LastLast

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hey guys, I talked to Mr. Uhls about the YZ tv series on FB again, he kindly messaged me back and while it is a little cryptic, it does shed some light on the situation.

Me: Hey Jim, I read Trent Reznor's Reddit session today where he discusses the Year Zero TV show. He mentioned that himself and Rob Sheridan have been delegated to writing for the series. They said it was because the writer they had difficulties working with their writer. I'm not fully conscious of your role in the project, I had originally read the Daniel Knauf was attached. Can you confirm your continuing involvement just to set my mind at ease? Thanks again for your time. I understand if you are unable to answer this, thank you for responding the first time, I wish you success in all your future work!

Jim Uhls: It's a lot more complicated than that, and has to do with me being a "servant of two masters," as there was disagreement between Trent and the other producers.

A little disappointing, but I'm still holding out hope for the series...

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I feel like NIN releasing a greatest-hits with new songs 25 years after their first record is blatant Rock & Roll Hall of Fame-bait.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I feel like NIN releasing a greatest-hits with new songs 25 years after their first record is blatant Rock & Roll Hall of Fame-bait.
    I think of it more as "Wrapping up contractual obligations with Interscope"

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    That was my first thought too.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    The Daisy idea is intriguing. I'm imagining it kinda of like Pandora, where you start with a music "expert" or curator instead of a sample song. You would then get a selection of their tastes. Kind of like Trent's 80's synthpop playlist on Spotify, only generated instead of fixed. Somewhere between pure algorithm and Internet DJ.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    Yeah, we even knew this was coming a while ago.
    Although 2014?!?! It's mental to even fathom something that far into the future. And will it be two NEW songs or just something like 'Non-Entity' a b-side from another album?
    edit: Also, Daisy better not be geo-locked like Pandora is. That'd suck.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I really hope this is the definitive collection, so that casual fans are exposed to some fucking great tracks via Deep Cuts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    trent chose to name a music streaming service after his dog.

that rules.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    With 2 new songs....

Does that mean NIN is back with Interscope?

Remember, Iovine is also involved with TR in BbD.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kenthebear View Post
    trent chose to name a music streaming service after his dog.

that rules.
    Doubtful. More likely "daisy chain"

http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/1304-Daisy-the-streaming-service-from-Beats-by-Dr-Dre-and-Trent-Reznor?p=60455#post60455

Quote Originally Posted by nine_inch_nerd View Post
    With 2 new songs....

Does that mean NIN is back with Interscope?
    I'd guess it's why most artists put new songs on greatest-hits albums... to pull in more sales.
    Last edited by jessamineny; 12-10-2012 at 11:44 AM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    WOAH I just had a thought
    What if it's not two "new" songs, but two songs we know he recorded under Interscope, Now I'm Nothing and Sex Dwarf? That way he wouldn't give anything new to the label, but still give the fans something.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    I'd wager that it's not necessarily that NIN is 'back with Interscope' so much as they owe Interscope one more album on their contract, and that when they split way back when, it was understood that Trent could do his own thing without incurring the wrath of Interscope lawyers so long as at some point he completes his original 7-record-deal with Interscope. (PHM, TDS, TF,
    AATCHB, WT, YZ, NIN's Career Retrospective)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Random NIN Thoughts

We've known that was coming forever as TR even said something to the tune of still owing Interscope some "bullshit greatest hits" thing. The timing seems like it'd be up to Interscope, who I doubt cares if NIN is in the HOF at this point.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Interscope certainly would care... there are big marketing tie-in possibilities, should NIN ever be inducted. 2014 happens to be the first year the band is eligible.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    I imagine he already gets bonus points for starting his musical career in Cleveland, of all places.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I hope the two "new" songs are The Life You Didn't Lead and Just Do It.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Random NIN Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Interscope certainly would care... there are big marketing tie-in possibilities, should NIN ever be inducted. 2014 happens to be the first year the band is eligible.
    Yeah, I guess they could push the back catalog as part of the hullabaloo. Maybe with some luck they'd be open to working with TR for some sweet re-releases (Broken deluxe??).

Really though, is induction a big deal in the industry? That's not meant to be derogatory or anything, I've just never seen a lot of hype built up around the Hall or the inductions, aside from the yearly concert.

Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    I hope the two "new" songs are The Life You Didn't Lead and Just Do It.
    I thought it was confirmed that Just Do It was never recorded. I'd love to hear it as well, the fact that it was so controversial to even those working on the album, on an album already sparking controversy, is intriguing.
    Last edited by MrSlfDstruct; 12-10-2012 at 02:25 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Re: Contractual Obligation

I could be wrong here, but my understanding is that Trent was free of his contract with Interscope back in 2007. Interscope, for some reason, considered Year Zero Remixed as the 7th, and final, album.
    08 october 2007: big news

hello everyone. i've waited a long time to be able to make the
    following announcement: as of right now nine inch nails is a totally
    free agent, free of any recording contract with any label. i have
    been under recording contracts for 18 years and have watched the
    business radically mutate from one thing to something inherently very
    different and it gives me great pleasure to be able to finally have a
    direct relationship with the audience as i see fit and appropriate.
    look for some announcements in the near future regarding 2008.
    exciting times, indeed.
    posted by trent reznor at 10:45 am.
    (taken from: http://web.archive.org/web/200710090...//www.nin.com/

Also, on the Wikipedia entry for Year Zero Remixed: This album was the last Nine Inch Nails album to be released by Interscope Records; it fulfilled the band's contractual commitments to the company, leaving Nine Inch Nails frontman Trent Reznor to proceed as a "totally free agent, free of any recording contract with any label".

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    The contract most likely specifically stipulates a greatest hits release, rather than "one more album"

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    It's more a language thing... there's no requirement on TR's part to fulfill the contract. As part of the record contract, Interscope held/holds the rights to release a greatest hits collection at some point in the future. They can do it if they wanna.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I'm trying to track down the quote, but didn't TR mention "the inevitable greatest hits" at the time of his split from Interscope?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I've always thought the 2 new songs for the greatest hits would be "Not So Pretty Now" & "Non-Entity" giving them an official release outside of the tour sampler.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Have to think that "two new songs" means two new songs. Especially with an album following and him previously saying he would work on nin throughout 2012. Excited!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I think the two new songs would be Trent's way of making the collection less of a cash-in for Interscope, or to make it just a bit more worthwhile for the obsessive fans that'll buy it because it has a Halo number. Which it most likely will.

It also seems like Trent's just going to use the best-of release as a way to generate some buzz for the album coming after that, which will most likely be another independent Null release. He said that signing with Columbia was for promotional purposes to get HTDA out into the open more; none of that is necessary for NIN.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    He said that signing with Columbia was for promotional purposes to get HTDA out into the open more; none of that is necessary for NIN.
    Well, he has mentioned that labels could be good for NIN for marketing, especially in the international markets. He related a story about how he was on tour overseas and had trouble finding his records in stores, and didn't see flyers for his concerts.

I think I've said this before, but he's doing so many things now in so many different disciplines. When he went independent, it was just NIN that he (and his manager and Rob) were running. Now he has a new band, and all the other projects (including ones we don't know about, I'm sure), plus a family. That's a lot to manage, and turning back to a label to handle/worry about some of those marketing and distribution tasks might not be so distasteful.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Ah, yeah, there is that. I didn't mean to imply that re-signing with Interscope or any other label would be distasteful (and I'm not saying that you accused me of that, either [this is getting too complicated]), but I just figured that maybe Trent would prefer to retain control over everything he's doing with NIN, top to bottom. Because he has so many things he's working on, maybe an enormous income from a single project isn't what he's aiming for anymore. Perhaps he could hire a marketing company for the exposure aspect. I'm not sure, I'm not in the business so I have no idea if any of that is even feasible.

In any case, I don't think he'll be going back to Interscope for any reason. My bet is that if he brings NIN back into a major label, he'll go with Columbia again.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    This is good, but yet upsetting news at the same time, about the "2 new songs". It's good for obvious reasons, new NIN material... But it's bad because it's not being released until 2014... That's along time away. Meaning, there will be no new NIN material between now and 2014. Also, it says he will be recording a full blown NIN record right after that, meaning 2015 release for a proper NIN release!?!?! geez...

Whatever happened to this "so called 2013 tour" that is being planned. he seriously going out on the road with Terrible Lie and HLAH again? I mean, i'm as stoked as the next person for NIN's return to stage, I even jumped the gun and booked the week off after coachella in case he does start his tour then, but I was hoping we'd get some new material on the road... I'm hoping he at least debut's these "2 new tracks" live on the road for this 2013 tour, that would at least keep be satisfied.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    What 2013 tour?

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Whatever happened to this "so called 2013 tour" that is being planned. he seriously going out on the road with Terrible Lie and HLAH again?
    This can only mean he's gonna tour The Fragile Deluxe

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    What 2013 tour?
    He's touring this spring, you'll see.

He's taking our good friends HTDA on tour and he needs some bait for people to go to the show... guess who's headlining? Starts with an "N"

EDIT: Sorry, i'll explain my post a little more logically without being a dink.

I am surprised with your response based on the fact you were a very active reader/commenter in the "So, NIN is back together, huh?" Thread created about 3 weeks ago. We all speculated about the return of NIN to the touring bus.

This was all prompted by all the NIN spottings about NIN being added to coachella this year, which I think is pretty legit.

Further proof of this so called "2013 tour" came straight from the horse's mouth with the following 2 comments from his reddit session a few weeks back.

"Thank you. I spend a lot of time and energy thinking about how music is presented live. Lights in the Sky was probably my favorite live show I've worked on so far. This was a real collaboration between myself, Rob, Roy Bennett, and Moment Factory. We set out to make an experience and I really felt proud to put that on every night. Cryptic additional comment: 2013."

And

Aside from destroy angel's new EP, what's next for you? A number of things. Tweaking some things for the HTDA full LP (coming in Spring), helping Josh out on a new QOTSA track, working with Roy, starting rehearsals for two bands.

If that's not enough proof there is a tour in the works, I don't know what is.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 12-11-2012 at 01:36 AM.