Page 125 of 528 FirstFirst ... 25 75 115 123 124 125 126 127 135 175 225 ... LastLast
Results 3,721 to 3,750 of 15828

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    Guess you forgot about how I tweeted about your interview from the NIN Hotline twitter account after I'd listened through it.
    hahaha you're right, i did forget! sorry. thanks again for that, seriously.

also, we're recording episode 8 monday night!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Trent always talks about trying to do something different when he approaches a new record. And while he's always had a few people that he's been pretty constant with (Flood, Alan Moulder), it seems that most of the criticism for his work beginning to sound the same (thus spawning the parody) has really stemmed from his continual collaboration with Atticus.

Granted, I don't think one can listen to With Teeth and then think it sounds like The Slip, or that Hesitation Marks sounds like Year Zero, but there IS something that's very similar between all of them. They're not quite as big of a departure as say Pretty Hate Machine to Broken, or any of his past works up to With Teeth. If you let somebody listen to each album in succession up to With Teeth, I think a lot of people would have a hard time saying that they were all from the same artist.

I guess all that to say, he always says he likes to step outside of a comfort zone when approaching something new, yet it seems like he's gotten VERY comfortable in his partnership with Atticus, and as much as I still love every release he puts out, I'd like to see him approach a new NIN record without Atticus.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I'm sitting here watching Korn encore or play first prior to Rob Zombie and I remember why I only show complete devotion to Trent at shows: dignity and respect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    320 pages... for 30 works? I've been a fan of Russell Mills' work for Nine Inch Nails, but that seems excessive.
    As Mills described on the Underneath it All podcast, the book isn't all art. He has written about each piece, of which there are about 20 or so. The bulk will likely be his thoughts on the art.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Asking Alexandria's cover of Closer is so pointless. It's not even bad, it's just an exact same version as the original. I don't know whether to be annoyed or unsurprised.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortfeazor View Post
    I guess all that to say, he always says he likes to step outside of a comfort zone when approaching something new, yet it seems like he's gotten VERY comfortable in his partnership with Atticus, and as much as I still love every release he puts out, I'd like to see him approach a new NIN record without Atticus.
    I never got why Atticus is so focused on in posts like these, his role in the NIN studio is just mixing, which is probably the most boring and uncreative role you could have. It is the producer's job (which would be Alan Moulder) to challenge the artist to try different things, and different sounds. Even though Alan Moulder (with all the other non NIN things he has done) is one of my favorite producers of all time, I do think TR and AM are a little too comfortable with each other to continue to challenge, and push forward. I don't think it's become a problem or anything yet, but I think if there's ever another new NIN album, Trent should bring on an entirely new production team.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    ^^^But this scenario has already happened - on the Interview with himself, with TR about HM on the itunes edition, he specifically mentions feeling too comfortable in their little team and getting a new producer in for a while doesn't he? But they found the songs were better the way they had originally done them

I remember thinking, since he can't fire himself from NIN, did he effectively have poor Atticus and Alan Moulder on tenterhooks for a firing?
    Last edited by WorzelG; 02-25-2014 at 03:59 PM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Asking Alexandria's cover of Closer is so pointless. It's not even bad, it's just an exact same version as the original. I don't know whether to be annoyed or unsurprised.
    I just listened to it and don't like it at all. You're right: it's just a straight-up cover with a stupid breakdown in the middle and instead of continuing the amazing build-up that it became, they killed it and then cut the ending guitar riff completely. How fucking stupid.I'd love to hear Architects, The Devil Wears Prada or even Bring Me The Horizon do a cover of the 2005+ live version of the song.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klyrish View Post
    I just listened to it and don't like it at all. You're right: it's just a straight-up cover with a stupid breakdown in the middle and instead of continuing the amazing build-up that it became, they killed it and then cut the ending guitar riff completely. How fucking stupid.I'd love to hear Architects, The Devil Wears Prada or even Bring Me The Horizon do a cover of the 2005+ live version of the song.
    Aside from Richard Cheese, I really don't see the point of covering it - not in a protective way, but because everyone covers it in the same way. Fuck with the song, change the beat, the melody, do something interesting, don't just do karaoke.

But that probably doesn't sell.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Aside from Richard Cheese, I really don't see the point of covering it - not in a protective way, but because everyone covers it in the same way. Fuck with the song, change the beat, the melody, do something interesting, don't just do karaoke.But that probably doesn't sell.
    Couldn't agree more. The breakdown was really the only unique thing done with the song, apart from butchering the timing of the lyrics. I know they incorporate electronics into their music, but I dunno...maybe make a METAL cover of the song with no electronics at all? Like how The Word Alive absolutely destroyed Kanye's "Mercy" on Pop Goes Punk vol. 5. Holy shit, I cannot get enough of that song. And it shares a few common things (singing style in the chorus) but for the most part, it's a totally different song with a unique feel and approach.Or even Upon This Dawning's cover of "Call Me Maybe" on the same compilation. Shares a lot of similarities with the original but is actually somewhat unique (and has a killer breakdown).

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brokenfragility View Post
    I never got why Atticus is so focused on in posts like these, his role in the NIN studio is just mixing, which is probably the most boring and uncreative role you could have. It is the producer's job (which would be Alan Moulder) ..
    Erm, it's the other way round, though Moulder's typically credited for more than 'just' mixing.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Are these japanese shows the first time NIN has had a band member open for them?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    eagerly waiting for the day when Trent's kids are conquering ETS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    http://thedissolve.com/news/1588-fincher-sorkin-jobs/ Fincher and Sorkin are in talks about Jobs biopic. I smell another soundtrack potential here

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    It's a lot better than I thought it would be. I like the vocal delivery, and the "through the forests" part was a surprise addition. Still garbage but it's better than In This Moments abortion of a cover.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony_crisp View Post
    Found myself accidentally doing 85mph during Big Man With A Gun while listening to TDS during a road trip today.
    That's my "going out" music. It's such a fun song.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by baudolino View Post
    eagerly waiting for the day when Trent's kids are conquering ETS
    I'm sure they'll feel right at home.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Eh, they’ll probably roll their eyes and move on to whatever replaces Facebook.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Why the hell would anyone be even remotely part of a forum entirely dedicated to your dad ?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    ^^^
    Unless they wanted to gather evidence to ruthlessly mock their dad

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    "Hey dad I found this funny picture of you"

No, no I don't think that would ever end well.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Hey dad, you still have that r_d r__e?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Shuffle in my car led to the discovery today that Gave Up fades really well into All The Pigs All Lined Up. Try it!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony_crisp View Post
    Found myself accidentally doing 85mph during Big Man With A Gun while listening to TDS during a road trip today.
    This is basically why I don't drive. The crescendo in JLYI is very dangerous indeed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    "Hey dad I found this funny picture of you"

No, no I don't think that would ever end well.

here kids have fun with this

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by utterben View Post
    That's my "going out" music. It's such a fun song.
    ...!?!?!?!

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Come to think of it, more songs from Year Zero in general would be nice, just like The Fragile.
    To expand a bit more on this post, I just generally like the idea of it, and it doesn't have to be that way on the Tension DVD for me. It doesn't even have to happen at all, as I could accept how and why that wouldn't be. It's mostly just wishful thinking, as I've also loved the way most of the songs The Fragile and Year Zero turned out live. And well, it's also due to the fact that I've barely heard that much songs from either album on the previous 3 Nine Inch Nails shows I've attended.

As for the new album, if it's really going to come out this year, I'm going to still go with my guess on it coming out some time in September, or at least any month after June at this rate.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howdidislipinto View Post
    Shuffle in my car led to the discovery today that Gave Up fades really well into All The Pigs All Lined Up. Try it!
    I can tell you that Heresy into RWIB does not work. Aiyeesh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    In Two has now become my favorite track on HM, originally it was VMoE. The song is so damn good, and it's one of the few on the record that give me that sort of TDS vibe.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by staleincense View Post

here kids have fun with this

Rob's face, my god.