Thread: Synthlust! (Or, how to make music without your computer)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Awaiting for my Behringer RD-8 (808) to be delivered today

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Awaiting for my Behringer RD-8 (808) to be delivered today
    I've heard mixed things, I'd be curious to know what you think. I haven't looked into it, but I would hope the Behrninger version would come with all the "intended mods" available via switch or something? At LEAST the Kick mod.

On another note, I love the Roland TB-03, it slays the Behringer clone sound-wise, and I'm glad that it is programmed the way a classic 303 is.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I've heard mixed things, I'd be curious to know what you think. I haven't looked into it, but I would hope the Behrninger version would come with all the "intended mods" available via switch or something? At LEAST the Kick mod.

On another note, I love the Roland TB-03, it slays the Behringer clone sound-wise, and I'm glad that it is programmed the way a classic 303 is.
    I didn't like the sound of the Roland TB-3 or TB-03. I felt it was especially lacking when it came to the squelch. I prefer the TD-3, hands down.

I am enjoying the RD-8 as well. It sounds like an 808 to me. I had a TR-8 and did not like it. Sold it. Thought it sounded too sterile. I dunno, personally, the Roland digital clones sound sterile to me. The Behringers have warmth and liveliness to them.

For example, Liam Howlett used a Roland TB-03 on the latest Prodigy album No Tourists and I could tell right away. He used to have an original, but I could tell this wasn't the original. A Prodigy gear giveaway popped up and there was the TB-03, signed and doodled on by Liam with it stating it was used on the new album and the track "Give Me A Signal."

Liam's original 303, which he also gave away...

I tried recreating Claustrophobic Sting 303 riff on my TD-3 and got pretty close...

A post shared by on

I'm sure someone will start modding these things. Behringer wanted to do a Devil Fish version and offered the original modding guy quite a bit of cash, but he began making crazy demands and ruined it.

Something I made while testing out the TD-3...

A post shared by on

Oh, and Liam told me he picked up the RD-8 this week as well. We've been chatting for a few years now. He reached out to me online after the release of my album Disrupt The Scene. He really dug it and called it heavy. We chat a lot about gear and recording. He's told me some awesome making of stories. Dude is a legend. Made me want to produce. I cried when he reached out to me to give me props and even left the door open to work together. I don't need fame or money (though it'd be nice), this is enough for me. Makes it all worth it. I got him to pick up a Dreadbox Nyx V2. I'm a hardcore Dreadbox fan. The best sounding oscillators out there. I'm also a hardcore Prodigy fan, and was psyched Liam posted a picture with the synth when he announced they would return with new beats after Keith passed. Been listening to these guys since I was 9 years old (1993). Keith's passing hit me hard. Management sent me one of Keith's funeral pamphlets. That made it even more real, having it in my hands. But I knew deep down Liam wouldn't stop making music, especially when he kept picking up new gear, such as Soma Labs Lyra 8. I got to hear a little bit of what's coming. Anyway, back to music gear.

A post shared by on

Last edited by neorev; 08-12-2020 at 11:03 PM.