Thread: Synthlust! (Or, how to make music without your computer)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    I'll throw my vote in for the TB-03. I got one for $244, shipped new in the box, a few black fridays ago. Figured I would never, ever see a new in the box TB-03 for that price again, so why not? I don't use it in my music, but it's so much fun to have around. It also looked great next to my 606, but I sold that to Gotye a couple of years ago now. I'm not going to wade into whether the TD-3 sounds better than the TB-03, beyond saying that Behringer does good approximations that are a little exaggerated around the edges, but by and large, the Boutiques are more accurate representations of the sound - and the "condition" knob on the Roland Cloud Tb-303 is a nice touch, shame it can't be (won't be) back-ported into the Boutique. Enjoy the tools that work best for you!

Sound aside, other reasons I'll take a Roland Boutique over a Behringer any day of the week: full MIDI control over all the things. While I generally record live, sometimes I want to program in a nice, smooth sweep.

The TB-03 was also the only thing I ever ended up syncing my Boss DR-110 to - only to record a video that I used in my Reverb listing for the DR-110.

The Boutiques are insidious. I traded my MS2000 for a JP-08 and fell head over heels. I've since picked up the SH-01a, the TB-03, and the TR-08, in that order. The smart thing to do is to get a TR-8S, but I've got a Tempest, and until the v2 Firmware was announced, that's done a great job at keeping that at bay, except for hihats. Can't do Roland hihats on a Tempest that sound good. I sold the Boss DR-110 and I paid only a little more for the TR-08. Considering I got the DR-110 because I couldn't afford an 808, this is a massive, massive upgrade for about $20. Also: Looks cool, is a blast to program.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    I'll throw my vote in for the TB-03. I got one for $244, shipped new in the box, a few black fridays ago. Figured I would never, ever see a new in the box TB-03 for that price again, so why not? I don't use it in my music, but it's so much fun to have around. It also looked great next to my 606, but I sold that to Gotye a couple of years ago now. I'm not going to wade into whether the TD-3 sounds better than the TB-03, beyond saying that Behringer does good approximations that are a little exaggerated around the edges, but by and large, the Boutiques are more accurate representations of the sound - and the "condition" knob on the Roland Cloud Tb-303 is a nice touch, shame it can't be (won't be) back-ported into the Boutique. Enjoy the tools that work best for you!

Sound aside, other reasons I'll take a Roland Boutique over a Behringer any day of the week: full MIDI control over all the things. While I generally record live, sometimes I want to program in a nice, smooth sweep.

The TB-03 was also the only thing I ever ended up syncing my Boss DR-110 to - only to record a video that I used in my Reverb listing for the DR-110.

The Boutiques are insidious. I traded my MS2000 for a JP-08 and fell head over heels. I've since picked up the SH-01a, the TB-03, and the TR-08, in that order. The smart thing to do is to get a TR-8S, but I've got a Tempest, and until the v2 Firmware was announced, that's done a great job at keeping that at bay, except for hihats. Can't do Roland hihats on a Tempest that sound good. I sold the Boss DR-110 and I paid only a little more for the TR-08. Considering I got the DR-110 because I couldn't afford an 808, this is a massive, massive upgrade for about $20. Also: Looks cool, is a blast to program.
    there’s something really cathartic about going out for a walk and unpacking the TB03 w/ some batteries and an iPad for drums. It has really been a zen thing to help with COVID cabin fever