Page 179 of 263 FirstFirst ... 79 129 169 177 178 179 180 181 189 229 ... LastLast
Results 5,341 to 5,370 of 7888

Thread: Tool

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by anditkeepsrepeating View Post
    ​meh
    gfy

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    That drums and bass the last minute plus is fucking awesome.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Imagine waiting 13 years to put out a record and not having a vinyl release option. It would be one thing if it was something like Britney Spears not releasing a record for over a decade and having it only streaming or CD but these are the most pretentious "i'm smarter than you" fans on earth. The only physical media option we have is a $44 cd with a gimmick screen and some tinny speakers that will be played once and then put on the shelf next to the toolvision© CD only version of 10,000 days.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Vinyl coming in the fall. I won't lose any sleep personally.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    No merch or album + merch bundle whatsoever? I don't care as much about vinyl (which I'm sure is coming later), but this feels surprisingly bare-bones for a release 13 years in the making. I'm surprised they don't even have a few new shirts that people could buy with their first new Tool release since 2006.
    The CD is the merch. Every band on Earth does a T-shirt with album art on it. Only one band is doing a CD with a video screen built into the case.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I like it. I’m kinda lolling at “it sounds like Tool” and “Maynard sounds like Puscifer/APC” takes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Vinyl coming in the fall. I won't lose any sleep personally.
    Has this come from the tool camp somewhere? All their announcements are spread out between like 15 media channels and Instagram stories that it's hard to keep track of it all.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbil View Post
    I like it. I’m kinda lolling at “it sounds like Tool” and “Maynard sounds like Puscifer/APC” takes.

well, dude, he actually sounds JUST LIKE the guy who sings for APC in parts of this track. :/

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Only one band is doing a CD with a video screen built into the case.
    There might be a very good reason for that.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    The CD is the merch. Every band on Earth does a T-shirt with album art on it. Only one band is doing a CD with a video screen built into the case.
    Yeah and I love that part. I pre-ordered it last night at 11pm and can’t wait to see it! It just strikes me as odd and unusual that they don’t have some new merch to accompany their first new release in over a decade. I can’t be the only one.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Has this come from the tool camp somewhere? All their announcements are spread out between like 15 media channels and Instagram stories that it's hard to keep track of it all.
    Nothing official, just from multiple articles and whatnot. I'll hold off just in case.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    The very end instantly brings to mind Forty Six & 2. I thought overall it was nice. I mean it does sound like Tool anyway.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Nothing official, just from multiple articles and whatnot. I'll hold off just in case.
    It was posted by the Puscifer store or Maynard’s wife on a post on Instagram about the listening party.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    i like the new song. to my own surprise. some rad sections in there. production-wise (esp. the drums) also better/crisper than 10k days imo.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Tool

Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    well, dude, he actually sounds JUST LIKE the guy who sings for APC in parts of this track. :/
    I guess you’re probably not being sarcastic but, I mean, it is literally the same guy. He’s older and he’s adapted his singing style since he was younger.

Oh, maybe you weren’t. It’s hard to keep track of the whiney takes and the real ones.

Last edited by gerbil; 08-07-2019 at 09:11 AM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    On the APC/Puscifer comparisons: yes, Maynard is the singer of all three bands; we know. It's not that the vocals on this track sound like vocals on other recent Maynard projects; it's that they sound MORE like those projects than previous Tool. The opening vocals sound more to me like Eat The Elephant (the song) than any other Tool track I can think of, the vocals at 5:00 sound more like Feathers than any Tool song I can think of, and the vocals at 7:38 sound more like Grand Canyon than any Tool song I can think of.

To be clear, I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing, but don't give people shit for wanting the vocals to sound more like Tool than APC or Puscifer. Maynard said writing for each band comes naturally to him, like the way you speak differently to a partner, friend, or family member, so it's not unreasonable for people to want/expect Tool vocals to sound more like Tool vocals. Again, I'm not taking a personal opinion here; the intro vocals to The Pot sounded incredibly un-Tool when we first heard them, and most fans love that song.

The main thing to remember is - for those of us who listen to Puscifer - we've heard Maynard do A LOT since eMOTIVe and 10,000 Days, so his vocals on ETE and FI are inevitably going to sound more familiar than they did in the early 2000's (like how the more characters Johnny Depp does makes you realize his bag of tricks only goes so deep). The real question I have is whether this was the case back when APC started. Did people think Maynard's vocals on MdN and TS sounded too much like Tool, or did people think his vocals on 10,000 Days were too heavily inspired by his time with APC? I don't remember thinking that, but I wasn't on online fora at the time, so I don't know what other people's thoughts were.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I think the first 5 minutes are pretty fucking amazing (after I've listened to it quite a few times).

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    On the APC/Puscifer comparisons: yes, Maynard is the singer of all three bands; we know. It's not that the vocals on this track sound like vocals on other recent Maynard projects; it's that they sound MORE like those projects than previous Tool. The opening vocals sound more to me like Eat The Elephant (the song) than any other Tool track I can think of, the vocals at 5:00 sound more like Feathers than any Tool song I can think of, and the vocals at 7:38 sound more like Grand Canyon than any Tool song I can think of.

To be clear, I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing, but don't give people shit for wanting the vocals to sound more like Tool than APC or Puscifer. Maynard said writing for each band comes naturally to him, like the way you speak differently to a partner, friend, or family member, so it's not unreasonable for people to want/expect Tool vocals to sound more like Tool vocals. Again, I'm not taking a personal opinion here; the intro vocals to The Pot sounded incredibly un-Tool when we first heard them, and most fans love that song.

The main thing to remember is - for those of us who listen to Puscifer - we've heard Maynard do A LOT since eMOTIVe and 10,000 Days, so his vocals on ETE and FI are inevitably going to sound more familiar than they did in the early 2000's (like how the more characters Johnny Depp does makes you realize his bag of tricks only goes so deep). The real question I have is whether this was the case back when APC started. Did people think Maynard's vocals on MdN and TS sounded too much like Tool, or did people think his vocals on 10,000 Days were too heavily inspired by his time with APC? I don't remember thinking that, but I wasn't on online fora at the time, so I don't know what other people's thoughts were.
    ^this...

First time I heard The Pot or Vicarious, I was like...is this even Maynard???

Guy is getting older and adapting to his strengths. It sounds like Puscifer and APC because that is all we have heard from Maynard in the last 13 years. Guy isn't going to sound like he did in '06. But I am not going to poo poo on those that "want" him to.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Doesn't quite feel like ten minutes. Maynard sounds good to me.

So uh, yep, that there's some Tool.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Playing it on the big-rig now. No surprises at all, but can't say I'm not enjoying it

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbil View Post
    I guess you’re probably not being sarcastic but, I mean, it is literally the same guy. He’s older and he’s adapted his singing style since he was younger.

Oh, maybe you weren’t. It’s hard to keep track of the whiney takes and the real ones.
    Oh, dude, I was 100% being sarcastic. I'm not an obsessive MJK fanboy, but, I've been pretty big into tool since Undertow, and, APC since Mer De Noms.

On another note, I feel like his singing style for Tool is still a bit different from what he brings to APC. Idk; it might be in my head.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Tool

Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Oh, dude, I was 100% being sarcastic. I'm not an obsessive MJK fanboy, but, I've been pretty big into tool since Undertow, and, APC since Mer De Noms.

On another note, I feel like his singing style for Tool is still a bit different from what he brings to APC. Idk; it might be in my head.
    I also think something else that will remind people of APC and Puscifer is that there’s a good chance he recorded his vocals in Arizona engineered by Mat Mitchell.

Last edited by gerbil; 08-07-2019 at 10:54 AM.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Preorder for the new deluxe cd version is only 44.00 on Amazon. To order or not to order? The reality is it will just sit on my shelf. Was really hoping for vinyl.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    There might be a very good reason for that.
    I'm reserving final judgment until I see it in the flesh. But my honest first impression is: it's gonna be a cool-as-fuck, truly unique thing. They were able to pull off the stereoscopic packaging for 10,000 Days... which sold millions. That was with full awareness the CD-era bubble economy of the 90s music industry had long since died.

How do you top that, all this time later? Well, ta-dah!
    Last edited by botley; 08-07-2019 at 12:30 PM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    It’s a good song but definitely not a 13 year time gap worthy composition.

Gonna listen to it some more. It’s one of them slow burn songs.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I really liked it.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    well I was going to skip Aftershock, but I'm not so sure anymore...

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    ...definitely not a 13 year time gap worthy composition.
    This is not a valuable way to think about things. They didn’t spend 13 years working all day every day to make this album. When you listen to music from the 70’s, do you think about how long it took for that album to come out, or do you just listen and take it in as its own thing?

I understand we’ve all been waiting a very long time for new music, but there’s no reason to judge this album any differently than we would had the most recent Tool album come out 3 years ago instead of 13.

It’s Tool’s job to make a good Tool album, not an album that somehow erases over a decade of waiting.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Has anyone synced it to the Wizard of Oz film yet?

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Its as bad as I feared it would be. Sounds like a 10K era B side.....