Page 88 of 263 FirstFirst ... 38 78 86 87 88 89 90 98 138 188 ... LastLast
Results 2,611 to 2,640 of 7888

Thread: Tool

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    I was looking into the Toronto gig. Can't find anything that all that mentions getting a copy of the book.
    EDIT: For those that can't see the blurry letters, it's from the promo graphic and reads "Each Paid Attendee Will Receive A copy Of The Book" beneath "A Perfect Union Of Contrary Things"

Last edited by Krazy; 09-01-2016 at 10:49 PM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Oooooooh, it's on the Facebook graphic for the full tour. I was on the event page for buying tickets.

Well damn, that's tempting now. Basically makes it a $25 ticket.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I don't think that your own actions post hoc enlighten what, if anything, Keenan meant to communicate with this pose. All I'm saying is that you posted a diagram, apparently from a book with illustrations of poses that have symbolic meaning to Freemasons (or an Internet reproduction thereof, from whom and from what original context I wonder?), and the pose on Keenan's book is different in at least one important respect. My grandfather was also a Freemason but I don't know what rank he achieved and I certainly don't remember seeing him pose this way in photographs.
    What i meant about my post hoc internet search is that people are now talking about it-MJK, Freemason. Of course it's mostly crazy people. I just wondered if, considering this band's history of trolling their fans, Maynard meant to create the impression that he was involved in some sort of conspiracy, as a joke.
    To me, it fits right in with the "Joyful Guide to Lachrymology," or the Tool show i saw in 98 or so where they played a loop of some satanic literature on full blast for like 45 minutes until the Dallas crowd became insanely uncomfortable, literally chanting "Fuck This Shit!," until the Reverend Keenan came out dressed as a minister, or all the Enochian symbols, or the ritual magic talk in the Aenima liner notes. Of course it's just as possible that he, or the photographer, wished for him to appear old world classy in the picture
    As for my grandfather, he did pose that way in pictures, and his funeral was like a strange Masonic ritual, so it got the wheels in my head turning.

also, for the record, that illustration came from Richardson's Monitor of Freemasonry, which you can read online. It details a lot of the rituals and degrees and such, which made for an interesting read for me as my grandfather wouldn't tell me SHIT about freemasonry, which was a massive part of the life of that side of the family. My father always thought that, despite my grandfather's advanced degree and leadership position, the whole fucking thing was actually just an excuse for him, my grandfather, to go out and drink beer without getting bitched at :P .
    Last edited by elevenism; 09-01-2016 at 09:23 PM.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    In regard to the cover, Maynard said he hates it but he was forced to use it because he wasn't in charge of every single choice.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    EDIT: For those that can't see the blurry letters, it's from the promo graphic and reads "Each Paid Attendee Will Receive A copy Of The Book" beneath "A Perfect Union Of Contrary Things"

Hmmmm...I might consider going now since I get a copy of the book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    In regard to the cover, Maynard said he hates it but he was forced to use it because he wasn't in charge of every single choice.
    Where did he say that? Pretty lame that he didn't get to design the cover of his own friggin autobio/memoirs.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Where did he say that? Pretty lame that he didn't get to design the cover of his own friggin autobio/memoirs.
    Publishers are even more psychotic about control than record labels. Most authors have zero input on the covers of their books if they're predicted to move a lot of units.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    I can't be the only one that likes the book cover...

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    http://www.kerrang.com/44131/puscifer-interview/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm sure I've posted one of these before but...

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpiusdiamond View Post
    Disappointing the kids didn't use the "Jesus ..... fucking whistle" line.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

New album is in the oven apparently!

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I can't be bothered watching that. In the oven as in half done still? Or completed and in the mixing stage?

edit: ok I watched it.

Justin: "Don't ask me about that. Just know that it's going to be awesome. It's in the oven. It's cooking."
    Last edited by Ryan; 09-12-2016 at 03:22 AM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    "Don't ask me about that"

Hmm, you play bass in one of the most secretive and slow bands out there. Of course you're going to be asked about that!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Last edited by cahernandez; 09-17-2016 at 07:28 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Ænima is IMO their best album, and my 2nd or 3rd favorite album of all time (TDS being my fav, of course. I dont know if I like Ænima or ACSS more, probably the same, its hard to say)

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Ænima is IMO their best album, and my 2nd or 3rd favorite album of all time (TDS being my fav, of course. I dont know if I like Ænima or ACSS more, probably the same, its hard to say)
    What's ACSS?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Anti Christ Super Star bruh

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    AEnima is also my favorite Tool album. It's the one I listen to the most.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    controversial/dumb statement (but still kinda true): only druggies and hippies say Lateralus is their best album.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    controversial/dumb statement (but still kinda true): only druggies and hippies say Lateralus is their best album.
    I'm a hippy, theory checks out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Undertow is hands-down my favorite Tool album. I really like everything they have done since, but that album just sounds so good and I kind of miss the more straight forward songs. I really like everything they have released since, with AEnima being slightly better than the rest, but Undertow just has a sound and vibe I love.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    i've never done a drug harder than ibuprofen and i love lateralus! it was my first tool album and still stands as the one i most relate to.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    Undertow is hands-down my favorite Tool album. I really like everything they have done since, but that album just sounds so good and I kind of miss the more straight forward songs. I really like everything they have released since, with AEnima being slightly better than the rest, but Undertow just has a sound and vibe I love.
    This. I've played the Chancellor albums to death, so now I'm currently more interested in the D'Amour stuff (though I've always loved "Hush", "Opiate" and "Prison Sex"). Lately I'm very much into 90's alt-metal and hardcore stuff, because of their beautiful, claustrophobic, sometimes chaotic sound. Early Tool fits this sound perfectly while at the same time having that uniqueness that separated them from their peers.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    Kaboom....i'm almost to the point that this is no longer opinion, its a fact.

and it's a f'ing travesty that it hasnt really gotten any exposure live in over a decade.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Undertow is my favorite too, but I think Aenima is their best. There's more diverse musicianship displayed on Aenima, and considering it has a mix of short straight forward Tool and the start of their epic long tracks, it's a perfect middle ground showing everything they can do.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    I'm neither a hippie (fuck hippies) nor into drugs, but love their more "expermintal" metal over the earlier stuff. Had they kept the alt metal thing going without expanding not sure how much I'd really like them. Aenima and Lateralus are 1 and 1a for me, depending on mood. I think Aenima is. Bit more accessible from start to finish. Lateralus has Schism into Parabol/Parabola into Ticks & Leeches into Lateralus... my god if that's not the best 4 (5?) song sequence I've ever heard then I don't know what is, and The Grudge = :O

#3 = 10k Days
    #4 = Undertow
    #5 = Opiate (title song is amazing along with Sweat, wish they would've combined the studio songs into Udertow)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    I'm neither a hippie (fuck hippies) nor into drugs, but love their more "expermintal" metal over the earlier stuff. Had they kept the alt metal thing going without expanding not sure how much I'd really like them. Aenima and Lateralus are 1 and 1a for me, depending on mood. I think Aenima is. Bit more accessible from start to finish. Lateralus has Schism into Parabol/Parabola into Ticks & Leeches into Lateralus... my god if that's not the best 4 (5?) song sequence I've ever heard then I don't know what is, and The Grudge = :O

#3 = 10k Days
    #4 = Undertow
    #5 = Opiate (title song is amazing along with Sweat, wish they would've combined the studio songs into Udertow)
    there's no way in hell Undertow falls under "alt metal", that album is so far above such a broad categorization.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by center27j View Post
    there's no way in hell Undertow falls under "alt metal", that album is so far above such a broad categorization.
    It's funny because I would never consider Tool "metal." In my opinion they are a rock band. When I think of metal I think of heavy music like Cannibal Corpse, Krisiun, Nile, etc. If I were thinking of "alt metal" I would think of bands like The Ocean and Gojira and even those bands are on the lighter side.

Also, I think Flood (my favorite Tool song) and Disgustipated are "experimental" enough for that album. The rest of it is fairly straight forward, but songs like Bottom, Undertow and 4 degrees don't really follow a straight up pop structure. Don't get me wrong, I like all the stuff they have released since. I just think the song writing on Undertow was the best and they didn't feel the need to fill space with a bunch of interludes (which have seemed sort of pointless with the exception of AEnima).