Page 82 of 263 FirstFirst ... 32 72 80 81 82 83 84 92 132 182 ... LastLast
Results 2,431 to 2,460 of 7888

Thread: Tool

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Im done beating around the bush guys, Tool sucks. What a waste of time. I mean, as a fan, im entitled, to a new record.
    Then let me just say I look forward to you not shitting up this thread.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbil View Post
    Then let me just say I look forward to you not shitting up this thread.
    Hey I defended Tool for years, but as they say... "if you cant beat em, join em"

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Interestingly enough, the official Tool FB page JUST posted an event. A concert in Toronto on April 29th...at a place I've been to before. That is literally a small fucking bar. People posting replies have found the promoter's page for it and it's seemingly a tribute band show....but it's on the official FB page. Too early for April Fool's? That place would erupt.

edit: it appears it's the Bandsintown app on the fritz.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Interestingly enough, the official Tool FB page JUST posted an event. A concert in Toronto on April 29th...at a place I've been to before. That is literally a small fucking bar. People posting replies have found the promoter's page for it and it's seemingly a tribute band show....but it's on the official FB page. Too early for April Fool's? That place would erupt.

edit: it appears it's the Bandsintown app on the fritz.
    LOL Facebook/Bandsintown/Tool's social media (mis)management clusterfuck. @Morad and I went there for drinks after the last Tool show in Toronto. Maybe 75 fans would get in to see such a show, maximum. Did have me going for a nanosecond, though...
    Last edited by botley; 03-16-2016 at 02:17 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    LOL Facebook/Bandsintown/Tool's social media (mis)management clusterfuck. @Aghamorad and I went there for drinks after the last Tool show in Toronto. Maybe 75 fans would get in to see such a show, maximum. Did have me going for a nanosecond, though...
    I think the giveaway for me was checking Puscifer's tour dates for the nights before and after:

4/28 - Albuquerque, NM
    4/30 - Tucson, AZ

"Yeah, that'd be doable." Haha...

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    At least we got $200 blankets made out of used shirts.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    I think the giveaway for me was checking Puscifer's tour dates for the nights before and after:

4/28 - Albuquerque, NM
    4/30 - Tucson, AZ

"Yeah, that'd be doable." Haha...
    Perfectly doable. MJK is literally the only person that would have to move. Fly, show, fly. Happens all the time in this business but with even more people and gear involved.

(This is in no way an endorsement of there being any likelihood whatsoever of Tool playing in a bar in Toronto. They aren't. Just pointing out that IF they did decide to do that, it wouldn't be terribly difficult. Moderately inconvenient for one person, yes, but that's about it.)

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Last edited by Krazy; 03-31-2016 at 08:24 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    That will totally put butts in the seats.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    https://medium.com/@badkittygothgirl...8de#.8yawl0oys

I would actually love it if that was true, just to make it the ultimate troll. Get people to bite at first before looking at their calendars...and then come back like a month later and be like "yeah, work's going great so far, especially with Tool no longer cutting into my time."

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    LOL:

Jones added,
    “With progress on the new album at a standstill I am excited to work on a project that will get my creative juices flowing again.”

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    How has Tool not rereleased Salival with their videos in HD? They haven't even uploaded them on youtube in higher than standard definition. Were they shot in SD? Because I doubt it.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    In exactly 2 weeks, it will be the 10-year anniversary of the release of 10,000 Days. Just saying.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    In related news: in exactly 5 years and two weeks, it'll mark the 15 year anniversary of the last Tool release.

Ive lost my faith some time ago that we'll ever see another Tool album.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    In related news: in exactly 5 years and two weeks, it'll mark the 15 year anniversary of the last Tool release.

In related news: in exactly 1,005 years and two weeks, it'll mark the five year anniversary of Tool's sixth album, written and recorded by their Futurama-esque heads in glass jars.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I feel like releasing one would almost be fucking stupid at this point, artistically (financially it'd be gangbusters but they make plenty of money off of over-priced VIP seats and Christmas ornaments and blankets anyway). How many long-awaited albums that took this long have ever delivered? How many have ever satisfied anybody ever? It's essentially their Chinese Democracy. Worked on for ages, hyped up for ages, waiting on for ages, and when it finally released everyone went "Eh" at best.

The problem with the idea of another Tool album is that, whether the actual production cycle of it takes a small amount of time or not, people will be seeing it not as how long it took to make once they sat down to write it, but they'll be seeing it as "This was fifteen years of waiting and it isn't worth that." It would have to make Aenima sound like garbage and Lateralus feel shallow and poorly-mixed to make most people think "This was totally worth it." Whether that attitude is accurate or not is another discussion, but it's the attitude a lot would have.

I feel like releasing a new album would if anything hurt their brand at this point. Right now they're these elder statesmen of their genre with four LPs that are regarded as near-perfect by most with the last one being the least-loved but still regarded as amazing by many who seem loaded with the potential of another amazing album. But it won't possibly live up to the expectations and it's almost better for them to just always leave that illusory potential there than to try and mine it and blow that load completely. It'll seem underwhelming to almost anybody, save for a handful most likely.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    How has Tool not rereleased Salival with their videos in HD? They haven't even uploaded them on youtube in higher than standard definition. Were they shot in SD? Because I doubt it.
    Any video people here? I was doubting it was ever digital at all and the Salival DVD was a cleaned up digitization of a first gen VHS like every other early DVD. Maybe they were all shot on film and it's too expensive to scan that into blu-ray quality?

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    I feel like releasing one would almost be fucking stupid at this point, artistically (financially it'd be gangbusters but they make plenty of money off of over-priced VIP seats and Christmas ornaments and blankets anyway). How many long-awaited albums that took this long have ever delivered? How many have ever satisfied anybody ever? It's essentially their Chinese Democracy. Worked on for ages, hyped up for ages, waiting on for ages, and when it finally released everyone went "Eh" at best.

The problem with the idea of another Tool album is that, whether the actual production cycle of it takes a small amount of time or not, people will be seeing it not as how long it took to make once they sat down to write it, but they'll be seeing it as "This was fifteen years of waiting and it isn't worth that." It would have to make Aenima sound like garbage and Lateralus feel shallow and poorly-mixed to make most people think "This was totally worth it." Whether that attitude is accurate or not is another discussion, but it's the attitude a lot would have.

I feel like releasing a new album would if anything hurt their brand at this point. Right now they're these elder statesmen of their genre with four LPs that are regarded as near-perfect by most with the last one being the least-loved but still regarded as amazing by many who seem loaded with the potential of another amazing album. But it won't possibly live up to the expectations and it's almost better for them to just always leave that illusory potential there than to try and mine it and blow that load completely. It'll seem underwhelming to almost anybody, save for a handful most likely.
    Eh. I know personally I'm going to sit down and listen to some Tool music. I'm not expecting the best album ever written, I'm just expecting four dudes I enjoy playing some cool music together. You shouldn't factor in the time between albums into your opinion, you should factor in the time spent writing and recording music, which has probably been like a year or two total.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Who gives a flying fuck about their brand? Who would honestly listen to a first album in 15 years and go "I used to like their old albums, but now I don't because I don't like the new one as much"? And who among Tool fans actually believes that they've been actively writing, arranging, recording, and mixing an album for 15 years?

Also, consider this: let's say you liked Aenima when it came out in 1996, and you were in college. It's now TWENTY years later. If a new Tool album came out today, chances are there are a lot of older fans who will have young teens in their family. They're now on radio stations catering to an entirely different audience than the ones you were listening to when you fell in love with the band several decades ago.

There is no downside to a new Tool album. There is only negativity from people who somehow think that they're entitled to a fucking masterpiece every time a band they like releases new music.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Who gives a flying fuck about their brand?
    Gene Simmons

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Gene Simmons
    That is true. He'll sell his own mother for a dollar.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tool did sell those ridiculous blankets, so they may not care that much about their image.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    all you know about them is what they sold you.

i can't believe it's been ten years since '10,000 days.' my life was so different then.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Regardless of what people think of them and their ethics, or if they feel they owe us an awesome album or nothing at all- I'm willing to bet we're still having this same fucking conversation 3 years from now.

I think it's been going around for nearly 5 years now. It's getting tiring. I personally don't think they owe us as fans anything but I'd agree it's one massive waste of talented individuals who typically put out something even greater than the sum of their parts.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    Any video people here? I was doubting it was ever digital at all and the Salival DVD was a cleaned up digitization of a first gen VHS like every other early DVD. Maybe they were all shot on film and it's too expensive to scan that into blu-ray quality?
    I believe the Undertow and Aenima stuff were shot on film. The Lateralus ones may be a combination of film and digital. Vicarious was all CGI, but I'm waiting for a version without shitty audio; and I bought the goddamn DVD single.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I agree that they don't owe anyone new music but I think it's generally shitty to regularly hint at and tease and give conflicting statements for fifteen years about how "we're working on it" only to never deliver. I definitely don't take them very seriously whatsoever even though Aenima and Lateralus are albums I'll probably never be able to quit. It feels like they hit the ultimate spot from a business perspective of maintaining an engaged fanbase and not really having to ever do anything new. They get to be a legacy act without calling themselves one. They can do small tours at their luxury and know that every single one will sell out almost instantly and that they can charge $80 for nosebleeds and totally get away with it. I'm sure it's a sweet setup but it's imposdibly hard for me to care becahse of it.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    In exactly 2 weeks, it will be the 10-year anniversary of the release of 10,000 Days. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    In related news: in exactly 1,005 years and two weeks, it'll mark the five year anniversary of Tool's sixth album, written and recorded by their Futurama-esque heads in glass jars.
    Nah guys, they know what they're doing. It's been part of the plan all along to release their new album 10,000 days since the anniversary of their first EP.
    Opiate was released March 10th, 1992.

Today is April 18th, 2016 (where I am anyway. Might be April 19th by the time you read this depending on what time zone you're in). So far that means it's only been 8806 days. We still have 1194 more days left til the new record drops.

Which means, Saturday July 27th, 2019 is when the new record comes out! Mark your calendars guys!

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I agree that they don't owe anyone new music but I think it's generally shitty to regularly hint at and tease and give conflicting statements for fifteen years about how "we're working on it" only to never deliver.
    This really annoys me personally. They're all (well Maynard especially, is) so high and mighty when talking about the delay. 'We don't owe you anything. Art takes time. We do it for ourselves, we won't rush for anyone else. We're beholden to no one. etc.' Yes, we know it's your band, guys. We won't we fans aren't entitled to anything.

But holy shit, this is a two way street. A band's career isn't a one time "album <-> money" exchange and that's it. It's a years-long relationship with fans. There needs to be a rapport and at least the tiniest hint of mutual respect. They don't owe us anything and they certainly don't owe us a new album, but it would be at least somewhat respectful to at least give any updates at all on the music. Maybe I'm missing some huge detail here, but what possible downside would it have to go out every few months (or every month via the convenient monthly Tool newsletter they publish on their website) and give a detail or two. "Hey, we've all been busy. Haven't been writing much lately." or "Hey, we've spent the last 6 weeks working on a new song we like, it's like a mix between Kraftwerk and Shpongle." or "Actually, we're going back to the writing board, that Shpongwerk song we had going didn't pan out because we couldn't think of an ending." or FUCKING ANYTHING.

I know Tool has made a career out of not giving away the whole farm, but don't they realize they could use this to their advantage? Can they not think of a way to tease the fuck out of us while also giving away an itsy-bitsy taste of something, like a Breaking Bad season finale that enrages people by teasing so well, while also getting everyone super stoked as fuck to hear more?

Whatever. Whenever anything like this is said, you get the commenters who sprint out of the woodwork to exclaim, "Stop whining, they don't owe you anything!" Yeah, I know they don't have to give us any info at all. But that doesn't mean they shouldn't, if not just for general politeness, and it doesn't mean they're not total dicks for not doing so.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I still love the band and what albums they have but after Puscifer dropped V is for Vagina, I personally stopped giving a shit about new Tool music or an album. Then APC had that stint in 2011 which makes me want even more material from that than Tool.

I honestly don't care if Tool ever release a new album ever again. We've all been doing fine without it.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I just noticed that nobody has posted the April newsletter. Here are some snippets. I'd go as far as to say this is the most straightforward and serious dose of information I've ever seen BMB relay since I first became a Tool fan. Maybe he's kicking into more serious mode since the album release will be soon.

"Over the years I have mostly heard sections of what I believe will be the longest track on the album.

Last spring, after Danny and Rynne's wonderful baby shower, a few of us got to listen to parts of other arrangements in various stages of development (Note: some of the time signatures are completely off the chart!).

So, I would say that I've heard about 30 minutes of music altogether. I'm sure that I could hear some more if I really wanted to by surreptitiously placing a digital voice recorder inside the taxidermy bird at the loft, or by flashing my Tool Web Content Manager badge and demanding to hear the latest riffs, but I would actually prefer to wait until the vocals are added because, for me, at least, that's when everything really comes together.

As I've said many times, the individual contributions of each band member are essential to creating the distinctive Tool sound. Therefore, it really doesn't matter how much music I've heard thus far.”

The webmaster also stressed that he does NOT believe that the fact the band is ”living a comfortable lifestyle from money generated by mini-tours, merch sales, etc. has much to do with" the speed of the new album's creation.

He pointed out: "If it were just about money, it would be easy for Tool to crank out a mediocre album (that many fans would be happy with; some even considering it to be a great accomplishment!) and tour with it for years.

Instead of just riding a wave, I would like to think that - even if they don't have as much energy as they did when they were much younger (?) - they are trying their hardest to outdo themselves, wanting each new album to be better than the last one.

If this wasn't the case, it wouldn't make sense for a couple of members to sit for hours in soul-crushing L.A. traffic four days a week in order to get to the loft where they work tirelessly writing/arranging new music.

Why subject themselves to this - for years (plus having to listen to all the groaning) - unless they want their new album (which is the priority) to be the absolute best than it can possibly be?"