Page 71 of 263 FirstFirst ... 21 61 69 70 71 72 73 81 121 171 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,130 of 7887

Thread: Tool

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Oh well I'm glad that's settled then.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    so, this is the third thread about music that I've read today where there's been nothing but complaints from Rabbit. Do you need a snickers, dude? Cuz you're being angsty as shit right now.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    the album is delayed so long because they can't come up with anything that sounds fresh or interesting. that's pretty much it, i don't know why people keep thinking it's anything else but that.

even if you listen to the new Puscifer, a side project that is supposed to be whatever the fuck and yet that even sounds like dated modern rock. It's perfect circle early 2000 era sounding. It's enjoyable but boring at the same time.

This is what happens when musicians get old. Nothing new.
    Uhhh, according to "Descending," they're just fine sounding NOT fresh or interesting. So no.

You're not the first to call Money Shot dated. I'm not understanding how – modern rock has never sounded like this except for stuff by MJK, and even then, it's only Puscifer that's had this combo of heavy synth and contemplative guitar. Are you and other detractors just thinking of the Underworld soundtrack? Only a portion of it sounds like Money Shot, and it's the MJK and Lohner stuff, not the generic modern rock (Trapt, et al). I agree it sounds like the expected Puscifer sound ever since C is for... but not that it's actually dated. PHM is dated.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    Sounds like a tossed-off Lateralus outtake

It makes me wonder if this is exactly what they sound like every time they step into a studio together anymore.
    not disagreeing, but isn't that just the tool sound?

part of why I'm not really in any sort of rush for a tool album

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    so, this is the third thread about music that I've read today where there's been nothing but complaints from Rabbit. Do you need a snickers, dude? Cuz you're being angsty as shit right now.
    i'm in a complaining mood today.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    the album is delayed so long because they can't come up with anything that sounds fresh or interesting. that's pretty much it, i don't know why people keep thinking it's anything else but that.

even if you listen to the new Puscifer, a side project that is supposed to be whatever the fuck and yet that even sounds like dated modern rock. It's perfect circle early 2000 era sounding. It's enjoyable but boring at the same time.

This is what happens when musicians get old. Nothing new.
    It's kind of a sound people like so I'm not sure what the issue is?

I'd rather have another group of artrock bands pop up than the current popular stock

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbil View Post
    It's kind of a sound people like so I'm not sure what the issue is?

I'd rather have another group of artrock bands pop up than the current popular stock
    Don't get me wrong, i love Tool. I just haven't put a tool album on in about 5 years, and Perfect Circle even longer. There's better music of a heavier variety to listen to right now. If i want anything even remotely like Tool i'll put on Meshuggah or Gojira or even Mastodon (they all don't sound like Tool per se but you get what i'm vibing).

I like the first two tracks off the new Puscifer, spun them a few times but that's about all it's going to get from me for now.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Don't get me wrong, i love Tool. I just haven't put a tool album on in about 5 years, and Perfect Circle even longer. There's better music of a heavier variety to listen to right now. If i want anything even remotely like Tool i'll put on Meshuggah or Gojira or even Mastodon (they all don't sound like Tool per se but you get what i'm vibing).

I like the first two tracks off the new Puscifer, spun them a few times but that's about all it's going to get from me for now.
    The only overly skippable track on Money Shot for me is Smoke and Mirrors. I'll even groove on Simultaneous while it builds up. The extra iTunes track is pretty groovy in its own right but is clearly a remix of a demo.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    The only overly skippable track on Money Shot for me is Smoke and Mirrors. I'll even groove on Simultaneous while it builds up. The extra iTunes track is pretty groovy in its own right but is clearly a remix of a demo.
    it's not a bad album by any means, it is what it is. Perfect Circle fans will love it.

I'm just bored of the sound. It's dated.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Perfect Circle fans will love it.
    Well, not that I'm pretending to represent the whole APC fandom, but actually, no !

I understand why you would say that, differences and nuances tend to blur between things we equally dislike. It's not so much that we're comparing their respective qualities, but instead how similar our own response is to those thiings.
    For instance, I would compare the last two Puscifer albums to Ashes Divide.
    The bands don't have much in common, but they elicit the same lack of emotional response from me. Everything's nice, but nothing's grabbing me. Completely lukewarm.

I'm not discarding anyone else's opinion, I guess the album is good, emotional, and carefully crafted. But as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't tick any box, not one.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    Hmmm... so, this is the track they’ve been cooking for the last 10 years? Slow it down guys, let’s not be hasty and prematurely rush new material out the door.

But seriously, it’s good to know that 10 years later tool still sounds like tool. Even if it’s not their best work ever, it’s still nice to have them around to display their technical proficiency as musicians as well as to counterbalance the ceaseless barrage of pop, hip-hop, and electronica out there.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    This track is hardly a serious indication of what are they up to in the studio. I can be just an interlude akin to Lost Keys, or simply an extended version of whatever will eventually take 1-2 minutes of the 70-minute album.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    Well, not that I'm pretending to represent the whole APC fandom, but actually, no !
    +1

I think APC has more in common with Tool than Puscifer has with APC. I personally think Puscifer blows. They were pretty fun to see live however.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Puscifer has its moments. I like "C Is For" better than anything Tool has done. And this is coming from someone who used to be a big Tool fan. Guess I just faded from them. I really wish Adam would do something outside of Tool. Would be neat if Robert Fripp would get him to join in on an incarnation of King Crimson.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Since I'm fucking bored and there are a number of "rankings" in other threads- such as rank the MM albums- let's do it for MJK projects. Mine:

1) Tool
    2) APC
    3) ???
    4) Tapeworm (heh)
    5) Puscifer (aka help sell my wine and other shit to Tool fans who think I'm god)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Since I'm fucking bored and there are a number of "rankings" in other threads- such as rank the MM albums- let's do it for MJK projects. Mine:

1) Tool
    2) APC
    3) ???
    4) Tapeworm (heh)
    5) Puscifer (aka help sell my wine and other shit to Tool fans who think I'm god)
    I'm Tool, APC, and Puscifer in the same order as well. I categorically refuse to acknowledge Tapeworm ever existed, so there's that...

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    after a few spins of Puscifer i can safely say that Maynards voice does nothing for me anymore. i really couldn't care for another Tool album. I've waited too long and i don't care anymore

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post

1) Tool
    2) APC
    3) ???
    4) Tapeworm (heh)
    Pretty much all equal but for different reasons.

TBH, I was thinking about it the other day and I have a feeling that whatever Tapeworm would have turned into would have resembled Puscifer.

Gotta say, CAD and Shandy's Addiction might be Maynard's best, though. "25 Hours" is legitimately a fantastic track even though it's not all that great. And "Calling Dr. Love" is such a great cover.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I still love Tool and will likely froth on a new record if it ever comes out. But waiting so long between releasing anything is definitely flirting with irrelevance. *cough Chinese Democracy *cough

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Tool

Not sure I've ever heard Tool and relevant used together like that before.

Like, no one from Tool is really hyping this new album. It's not really like Chinese Democracy where we were constantly told "Yeah, I'm doing this awesome shit it's on its way!"

It's more like, "Hey, for the thirteenth time this year how's the album coming?" "We're working on it." Breaking: Tool Making Headway on New Album

Rinse and repeat. Even if they were a few months from recording, I'd still expect the band to give a really bland answer.

Edit: Like, these guys have been asked in every interview monthly for 9 years how the album is coming. ESPECIALLY Maynard since he's been most visible. I imagine he'd like to talk about other stuff, please.

It's like a newly married couple. After a week's honeymoon people immediately ask you when you're popping out kids. When we're ready, TYVM.
    Last edited by gerbil; 11-06-2015 at 07:35 AM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    I think it's just a case that 3 out of every 4 Tool fans liked it way better in the days when the band needed a paycheck and could also bang out albums as great as Undertow and Aenima in two or three year incremements. Not this "three quarters of the band disappears for 10 years while the once-mysterious frontman starts a dick-joke band that puts out more remix albums than actual studio records" shit.
    It's embarrassing at this point.

If they don't come out with something that completely blows everything away fuck them. And fuck maynard especially.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    It's embarrassing at this point.

If they don't come out with something that completely blows everything away fuck them. And fuck maynard especially.
    Like, seriously?

I have no idea how people can feel this jilted by a band that's known for taking their time and being enigmatic as a rule.

No one owes you shit, son. Face reality. You'll never be satisfied with whatever Tool had to offer (especially Maynard!) so you might as well walk away now and never look back.

Yeah, I'm being a dick. You know why? Because there are thousands of people and dozens who post in these threads that are capable of talking with civility and cool heads. You can be done with the band all you want. No one gives a shit.

Meanwhile, we can all go on living our lives expecting nothing specific but excited when something happens.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Puscifer is Maynard's main project. Tool is now a side project.

I don't know what people are actually expecting at this point to a new Tool album. I'm simply hoping it will be "as good if not slightly better than 10000 days".

And it doesn't really matter as long as Maynard is making more music. I love all three bands.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I'd rather get an apc album than a tool album. But yeah, tool is definitely a side thing now. Puscifer is good enough to keep me tied over. But, I don't really care if tool does another album anymore. If they do, cool. If not, whatever.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post

I understand why you would say that, differences and nuances tend to blur between things we equally dislike. It's not so much that we're comparing their respective qualities, but instead how similar our own response is to those thiings.
    For instance, I would compare the last two Puscifer albums to Ashes Divide.
    The bands don't have much in common, but they elicit the same lack of emotional response from me. Everything's nice, but nothing's grabbing me. Completely lukewarm.

I'm not discarding anyone else's opinion, I guess the album is good, emotional, and carefully crafted. But as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't tick any box, not one.
    Damn. And i was hoping he was RIGHT!

Puscifer has just never done it for me.

I would LOVE another original APC album (not of covers.)
    And i would LOVE a new tool album.

I'm starting to wonder if we will ever get either.
    @Rabbit , you HAVE been very, very angry these past few days-hateful even, about subjective things.

I hope you are feeling better.
    You should turn on something you like
    Last edited by elevenism; 11-08-2015 at 04:15 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Like, no one from Tool is really hyping this new album. It's not really like Chinese Democracy where we were constantly told "Yeah, I'm doing this awesome shit it's on its way!"

It's more like, "Hey, for the thirteenth time this year how's the album coming?" "We're working on it." Breaking: Tool Making Headway on New Album
    Yeah for sure, that's true in that the band are not responsible for the hype machine. They have such a devoted (read: mental and obsessive) fan base, the speculation is constantly in motion, even after such a long wait. I guess that also suggests that "flirting with irrelevance" was probably poor choice of wording, given that the band are long out of the mainstream eye anyway and still maintain such a loyal following. I guess I was just suggesting that maybe you can lose momentum or continuity in your complete body of work when you have such long periods of inactivity between records.

So anyway..... when is the record coming out? Good chat.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Like, seriously?

I have no idea how people can feel this jilted by a band that's known for taking their time and being enigmatic as a rule.

No one owes you shit, son. Face reality. You'll never be satisfied with whatever Tool had to offer (especially Maynard!) so you might as well walk away now and never look back.

Yeah, I'm being a dick. You know why? Because there are thousands of people and dozens who post in these threads that are capable of talking with civility and cool heads. You can be done with the band all you want. No one gives a shit.

Meanwhile, we can all go on living our lives expecting nothing specific but excited when something happens.
    I love how "no one owes you shit" argument is thrown out there but then "hey don't download my music i worked hard on" happens all the time. This is the problem with todays culture.

Too celebrity obsessed, too much value placed on "artists". Back in the day artists were broke and got no fucking respect. Now they get too much respect and make far too much fucking money. Maynard owes us nothing... fucking guy is out there drinking wine living a millionaire life because of his fans. Which for the most part he thinks are stupid lmao. Sorry if some fans backlash and get a bit bitter having to wait almost a fucking decade for another album.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    I have to disagree with them being irrelevant, they can still sell out arenas and the Phoenix festival sold out with an estimated 25k-30k people in attendance.

Yeah, A LOT of people still give a shit about the band. Not many bands, particularly ones that are on the "heavy" side of the rock music genre, can only put a limited amount of new full length releases over 15 years and pull this stuff off. Metallica would be the only other one that comes to mind.

Not sticking up for some of the band members laziness but those are just facts. They've put out some great and timeless material that people can still resonate with. It also definitely helps to be known as one of the better live bands to see- or "was" one of the better live bands to see.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    What else can they really do? The longer the wait, the higher the expectations. There's no way they're going to top their past albums. Maybe that's the reason why they're not working on anything. Damned if you do, damned if you don't sort of thing. And with the kind of fan base that they have, that could only add to their weariness of recording another album.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I would be shocked if there hasn't been substantial work done by now. It sounds like there was a project or two going on in the meantime. Plus there's Maynard and his wine and Puscifer and occasionally A Perfect Circle.

But the band has always been fairly open about collaborating these things with Nardo ahead of time.

I can't recall any of the recent interviews where anyone's said the album isn't progressing. Maynard says he can't say anything or that he's waiting on music; Adam and Danny say they're plugging away; and Justin doesn't do many interviews.

Maynard has probably given up on saying anything because people like Rabbit are like "Fuck Maynard especially!"