Results 2,071 to 2,100 of 7888

Thread: Tool

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    That setlist.....

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    That's awesome. I'm glad they made the most of their only show this year.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Did Maynard do the scream at the end of the Grudge?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virushopper View Post
    Did Maynard do the scream at the end of the Grudge?
    From the accounts I've read he did not.

Also setlist seems to be a little different than what was posted here.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RJK View Post
    Also setlist seems to be a little different than what was posted here.
    It's correct (though I don't know about the King Crimson cover, I guess, because I'm not familiar with their music. They did play something there that I didn't recognize so I'm assuming that's correct).

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I'm selfish and hope there's a bomb ass bootleg that comes out of this.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Yeah, last night was amazing. I still can't believe we got "The Grudge." Or "Parabola" (I was almost as excited about that as I was about getting "The Grudge."). Or "Opiate," which may have been the best song of the night. Seriously, that song is incredible live and the energy in the crowd while they played it was huge.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    It's correct (though I don't know about the King Crimson cover, I guess, because I'm not familiar with their music. They did play something there that I didn't recognize so I'm assuming that's correct).
    By a little different I mean all the Tool songs are correct and people are saying they played a jam they also played last year. And Danny playing on synths instead of the King Crimson cover (I wonder if he incorporated something from it into his jam.)

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RJK View Post
    By a little different I mean all the Tool songs are correct and people are saying they played a jam they also played last year. And Danny playing on synths instead of the King Crimson cover (I wonder if he incorporated something from it into his jam.)
    Yeah, the version on Setlist.fm is correct. I'm the one who created the setlist I posted last night. I had been following a guy on Twitter tweeting out the setlist live. He mentioned a crazy synth solo with Danny drumming, so I just assumed it was the B'Boom thing that Danny had been doing the past few years, but apparently it wasn't.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tool was amazing. Especially with it being the first time I've ever seen them, it was absolutely mind blowing to say the least and as others have mentioned, the opening with "No Quarter" and getting "The Grudge" was an absolute treat.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Danny Carey still sounds fucking awesome.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Maynard is missing a ton of the lyrics.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Look how stoked Justin is during the Grudge though. Dude loves to rock.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    Maynard is missing a ton of the lyrics.
    Was there, and honestly think the show wasn't that good- just my opinion and for those that enjoyed themselves I'm happy for them. Maynard had his usual struggles with his voice (yes, I know he's past 50 yo) and forgot some lyrics here and there. Seemed like they turned down his mix too. It's cool to get different songs but only if they come out right. I was in 3 different spots throughout the night and the crowd just didn't seem to get into it like past shows/festivals I was at.

And the new "festival only" production pretty much sucks. It's just a huge LED screen at the back with the pentagram thing in front of it, and the pentagram having stolen Audi LED headlights in the middle- it's pretty much what every other arena band has on their stage for the past few years, customized to the band of course. None of the videos had the "fast, distorting image" thing go on like they did in the past when Adam would speed up the tempo of his guitar. (Hope that makes sense to everyone since I'm probably not using the proper terminology - good example would be 46&2). Junior posted a comment on Fourtheye that the city of Tempe wouldn't let them use the lasers- assuming he's not bullshitting anyone, I guess there's nothing one could do about that.

Was pretty hilarious to see them dressed up as Led Zeppelin though, and people watching at the festival was fun with it being Halloween. Another thing I'll nit pick is the LZ cover to start the show, wish it had started with a Tool song with some punch to it.

And yeah, Justin was jamming away as usual. Hope whatever he may have going on with his health (it's all speculation as far as I'm concerned) is in the rear view mirror.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Was there, and honestly think the show wasn't that good- just my opinion and for those that enjoyed themselves I'm happy for them. Maynard had his usual struggles with his voice (yes, I know he's past 50 yo) and forgot some lyrics here and there. Seemed like they turned down his mix too. It's cool to get different songs but only if they come out right. I was in 3 different spots throughout the night and the crowd just didn't seem to get into it like past shows/festivals I was at.

And the new "festival only" production pretty much sucks. It's just a huge LED screen at the back with the pentagram thing in front of it, and the pentagram having stolen Audi LED headlights in the middle- it's pretty much what every other arena band has on their stage for the past few years, customized to the band of course. None of the videos had the "fast, distorting image" thing go on like they did in the past when Adam would speed up the tempo of his guitar. (Hope that makes sense to everyone since I'm probably not using the proper terminology - good example would be 46&2). Junior posted a comment on Fourtheye that the city of Tempe wouldn't let them use the lasers- assuming he's not bullshitting anyone, I guess there's nothing one could do about that.

Was pretty hilarious to see them dressed up as Led Zeppelin though, and people watching at the festival was fun with it being Halloween. Another thing I'll nit pick is the LZ cover to start the show, wish it had started with a Tool song with some punch to it.

And yeah, Justin was jamming away as usual. Hope whatever he may have going on with his health (it's all speculation as far as I'm concerned) is in the rear view mirror.
    I watched video for The Grudge...it's getting a little boring to see the same "monsters" from the projections over and over again. They look a bit dated actually...they are the same creatures from the first time I saw Tool, in 2002. So at least 13 years old.

And regarding Justin being sick...it didn't look like he was sick in those VIP event pictures. That's just me, though.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    And regarding Justin being sick...it didn't look like he was sick in those VIP event pictures. That's just me, though.
    There was something not too far back- maybe it was when they released the lawsuit statement?- that said a band member was going through or had gone through a serious illness or something to that effect. Speculation is it was Justin since he was the one that was completely out of the public eye. Even more speculation is it could be alcohol or substance abuse related, since he apparently like to drink and he does look like he aged quite a bit.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    What's especially unsettling about his appearance is how he's 43 and he rest of the guys are over 50.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I noticed that in every video I've seen, Maynard's vocals are virtually nonexistent in the mix. But that might just be the quality... But I dunno

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Tool

There was something not too far back- maybe it was when they released the lawsuit statement?- that said a band member was going through or had gone through a serious illness or something to that effect. Speculation is it was Justin since he was the one that was completely out of the public eye. Even more speculation is it could be alcohol or substance abuse related, since he apparently like to drink and he does look like he aged quite a bit.
    It was an article in Yahoo! Music with Adam.

(Sorry for the screen cap)

Lots of dead links in this thread and hard to navigate through.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbil View Post
    I noticed that in every video I've seen, Maynard's vocals are virtually nonexistent in the mix. But that might just be the quality... But I dunno
    Nope, it sucked in person too. I'd never think I'd lose interest in a Tool concert but it happened Saturday night (and roughly half way through).

For the record I don't want to sound like a whiny Tool fan- which is one reason haven't posted for a few days. It wasn't like its some shitty Marilyn Manson show, but I expected a little bit more I guess, regardless of what the set list is.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Nice to see the 'new' jam being built more. I don't think Maynard has ever added to it before, unless I just missed it.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Tool

I don't ever recall Maynard being a part of that.

This article refers to it as "Descending."
    Last edited by gerbil; 11-03-2015 at 06:36 PM.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gerbil View Post
    I don't ever recall Maynard being a part of that.

This article refers to it as "Descending."
    It was on the setlist as 'Descending'.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Most of it just sounds like Adam is playing "Parabol." I know nobody (except Volto!) sounds like Tool completely, but they really only do one thing now.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    Most of it just sounds like Adam is playing "Parabol." I know nobody (except Volto!) sounds like Tool completely, but they really only do one thing now.
    What?

If I were gonna compare it to anything, it would be Wings For Marie but it quickly changes course. It sounds like Tool because it's Tool.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Speaking of Lateralus, I wonder why it wasn't played on Saturday. Thought it would be a given.

They started about 5-10 minutes late, and ended about 10 minutes early- playing about 1:45 to their scheduled 2:00 (not dissecting, just observed). Hellboy on 4thEye posted a pic from Friday's set up/sound check that I'm almost positive has the Lateralus video being played.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Speaking of Lateralus, I wonder why it wasn't played on Saturday. Thought it would be a given.

They started about 5-10 minutes late, and ended about 10 minutes early- playing about 1:45 to their scheduled 2:00 (not dissecting, just observed). Hellboy on 4thEye posted a pic from Friday's set up/sound check that I'm almost positive has the Lateralus video being played.
    I thought it was a pic of the Parabola ending, from the music video where it does the whole skeletal, muscular lateralus album cover thing.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    the album is delayed so long because they can't come up with anything that sounds fresh or interesting. that's pretty much it, i don't know why people keep thinking it's anything else but that.

even if you listen to the new Puscifer, a side project that is supposed to be whatever the fuck and yet that even sounds like dated modern rock. It's perfect circle early 2000 era sounding. It's enjoyable but boring at the same time.

This is what happens when musicians get old. Nothing new.