Page 236 of 263 FirstFirst ... 136 186 226 234 235 236 237 238 246 ... LastLast
Results 7,051 to 7,080 of 7887

Thread: Tool

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    They were spinning their wheels on FI for nearly a decade, at least. Maynard admitted to as much in an interview after the album came out, that the album they had in 2011 would have been just as well as what eventually came out in 2019..
    The fact that he lost interest in Tool and emailed them his vocal tracks tells you all you really need to know..
    Tool fanatics were going to love FI no matter what the band put out. But it definitely wasn’t worth waiting 13 years for (or even six, for that matter)..
    I don't think Maynard ever lost interest in Tool, I suspect them suing someone because of the artwork and the insurance company suing them and another one suing another institution over and over for a decade or so had something to do with that.

Also disagree that FI is their nadir song-wise, imo Pneuma, Descending, Invincible & 7empest were worth the wait.
    Prog metal songwriting takes time, and with compositions this complex, I expect them to. It's a wonder they play these songs live.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Tool fans have been using the “lawsuits bogged down their progress” excuse for 20 years now. I could understand that theory for the five years it took between Aenima and Lateralus, but since when does an ongoing lawsuit prevent four guys from getting in a room together and making music? It’s not like they were suing each other..

Invincible, Descending and 7empest might make for classic Tool tracks, but three tracks out of seven (or 10 if you want to count the interludes) don’t justify a 13-year wait. The album sounds long and bloated for the sake of being long and bloated. Maynard called the band out for putzing around onstage with them at one show, ffs. Then did his vocals at his vineyard and emailed them to the band when they finally sent him something. Then said the album they had down in 2011 would have been just as fine as the one they finally released in 2019..

That might also explain why his Puscifer output matches in less than 10 years what it’s taken Tool nearly 30 to create. Maynard didn’t lose interest in Tool? It certainly looks and feels like it’s just a big payday to him at this point..

FI doesn’t find them pushing their sound into new dimensions; even 10KD had that going for it on a few occasions. FI is just high-calorie Tool. For a band that wrote better epics on better albums (Third Eye, Lateralus, Pushit, Rosetta Stoned), Culling Voices and Descending and even the mighty 7empest just sound long for the sake of being long..

So it’s fine if you and others have a lower bar of expectation and like the album. Like I said, it’s enjoyable while it’s playing. But I know that they were once capable of so much, much more when they were all on the same page for the creative process. FI sounds like the Chinese Democracy of prog-metal: it sounds familiar and it’s nice to finally have it, but it never should’ve taken anywhere near as long as it did to get made..

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Problem is if Maynard released a 60 minute audio recording of him jacking off into a coffee cup and then putting it into a blender while humming the entire time, half the Tool fanbase will deem it brilliant "art" and the other half would deem it self indulgent shit. No way they will ever satisfy their fanbase. Even if they did something on par with Ænima, there would be a portion of the base claiming they are repeating themselves. Thats why Maynard hates the Tool fanbase and clearly is bored out of his mind with the band. 13 years to make an album and you fuckin mail in your vocal tracks? You can't get in the studio and be with your bandmates? Hes also clearly bored with APC as well. Puscifer is where his heart is. He was already posting studio pics of Puscifer a week after FI was released. Thats his baby. The other 2 bands just pay the bills and allow him the luxury to build and expand his winery

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    I’m getting too old to read dumb shit on the internet.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    I’m getting too old to read dumb shit on the internet.
    That’s pretty much all there is to life these days, lol.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Interesting that Parabol was played a bunch of times without Parabola.

Also Flood and Disposition played exactly the same amount of times.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Well, now I want a NIN one of these

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Just came to post this. Here's the original article. I hope he makes a full recovery and his pipes still work as good as they used to. Makes you wonder who else went through it, but decided not to announce it.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    That is absolutely terrible to hear, for someone whose entire career is rooted in lung power that is something you def do not want happening. Fuck!

I wonder why he never shed light on his contraction of the virus before? Not that the onus is on him (we have world leaders for that) but he does have a platform and I mean if it changed just a few minds into taking this more seriously. Who knows, perhaps it could have saved a few lives or prevented similar outcomes?

Damn it, this covid shit is really pissing me off.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    That's cool that they were touring and you know, still playing shows when he had it. Oh, wait. That's not cool? Yeah, it's not.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    That's cool that they were touring and you know, still playing shows when he had it. Oh, wait. That's not cool? Yeah, it's not.
    i’m pretty sure i had covid in the weeks before the tool concert i went to. it had been 3 weeks at that point but i still felt weak and not 100%. it was going around undetected starting in january. him getting in february doesn’t surprise me at all.

eta: I reference my health problems in this post: https://www.echoingthesound.org/comm...905#post481905

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    he does have a platform and I mean if it changed just a few minds into taking this more seriously.
    Yeah, but when was the last time Tool fans actually listened to anything Maynard said?

There were reports of a person in New Zealand going to a Tool show after being fully aware they had Covid. They only played 2 shows after that, so he probably wasn't even fully aware he had it before they stopped touring. Don't really think Maynard was negligently spreading it, especially with all the "Wear a mask, be mindful of others, don't be a dumb-ass..." talk he was doing.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Just came to post this. Here's the original article. I hope he makes a full recovery and his pipes still work as good as they used to. Makes you wonder who else went through it, but decided not to announce it.
    I wonder what the original title for the new Puscifer album was?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    If it was February there was a decent chance he had no idea what he had. Might have been discovered from an antibody test or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Adam Jones' signature Gibson Les Paul was announced today (and instantly sold out), via this short film with music by Jones, Carey, and Chancellor.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    musically reminds me of Elegia by New Order... which isn't a bad thing in any way.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    musically reminds me of Elegia by New Order... which isn't a bad thing in any way.

It is Elegia by New Order, lol.

edit: literally, it is the song Elegia by NO.
    Last edited by Erneuert; 10-27-2020 at 10:02 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    It reminds me more of Goblin.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post

LOL, well that would explain it.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

in the guitar video? not even close.

Elegia is a minor-key dirge, the adam jones song is major key. Elegia is in 3/4, the other song is in 7/4. while they share some similar qualities in terms of structure, they sound completely different.

also, Elegia is my absolute favorite NO song, and one of my favorite pieces of music ever composed (especially the full-length version).

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I was going to say, if it's a cover it's taking some very big liberties with the source, but that happens. Did they say it was an homage to New Order?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    It reminds me of John Carpenter

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    in the guitar video? not even close.

Elegia is a minor-key dirge, the adam jones song is major key. Elegia is in 3/4, the other song is in 7/4. while they share some similar qualities in terms of structure, they sound completely different.

also, Elegia is my absolute favorite NO song, and one of my favorite pieces of music ever composed (especially the full-length version).
    Are we talking about the same thing? The video that says “Mark Osborne’s MORE” has Elegia by NO playing throughout it.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Are we talking about the same thing? The video that says “Mark Osborne’s MORE” has Elegia by NO playing throughout it.
    The song in MORE is New Order, yes. The song in the Adam Jones Gibson Guitar video is not.

EDIT: To further explain, Jinsai replied to my post saying that the music in the guitar video reminded him of the New Order song. I think eversonpoe misread your comment. I did too. Your comment read like you were saying the song in the guitar video was a rip off of New Order. That's where the confusion came in. I now see that you were purely commenting that the music in MORE was New Order.
    Last edited by otnavuskire; 10-28-2020 at 05:12 PM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Just got around to the song now. Really good, but shockingly optimistic for a piece of music from the Tool camp. I wonder if it was recorded with FI – certainly sounds the same, but that might just be Evil Joe's doing, or they recorded it with him earlier this year.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    The song in MORE is New Order, yes. The song in the Adam Jones Gibson Guitar video is not.

EDIT: To further explain, Jinsai replied to my post saying that the music in the guitar video reminded him of the New Order song. I think eversonpoe misread your comment. I did too. Your comment read like you were saying the song in the guitar video was a rip off of New Order. That's where the confusion came in. I now see that you were purely commenting that the music in MORE was New Order.
    Oh, sorry. I get it now!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Edit: Wrong thread
    Last edited by Patrick_Nicholas; 11-02-2020 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Clicked on this one by accident

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Damn, Hannah Sims (the female half of Osseus Labryint, the performing couple in the ‘Schism’ video) has apparently passed.