Page 111 of 263 FirstFirst ... 11 61 101 109 110 111 112 113 121 161 211 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,330 of 7888

Thread: Tool

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Dear Tool,

Vinyl represses and remasters are cool and all but pls stop being pretentious cunts and just release your records digitally, I think most of us have the attention span to listen to your work with our FUCKING PHONE TURNED​ OFF. Fanks.

Sincerely,

The majority of your fans (hopefully, anyway)
    Last edited by clarktrent; 08-12-2017 at 12:51 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I bought and watched the Quay Brother's bluray a few weeks back, and it reawakened the itch for me wanting a new release with all the music videos on it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    So wait...
    CoS makes an article out of an email snapshot from some random reddit dude, the said email relates to some obviously very important fan petition, that lucky guy gets an answer from none other than Danny Carey himself ???? (email address not blanked out by the way)
    If true then Danny must be really bored if he can takes his no doubt precious time to answer this sort of fan questions.

We should all email danny@toolband.com and see what he thinks of this news (or anything else that could possibly matter in Tool world).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Someone needs to tell them if they do sell vinyl please do not use sandbag as the shipping company

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I just want AEnima on Vinyl; the rest i can live without...

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I'd love 10,000 Days on vinyl. It's got such a rich texture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    (email address not blanked out by the way)
    If true then Danny must be really bored if he can takes his no doubt precious time to answer this sort of fan questions.

We should all email danny@toolband.com and see what he thinks of this news (or anything else that could possibly matter in Tool world).
    It's been no secret that fans can email the guys at danny/adam/justin/maynard@toolband.com for... probably close to 20 years I would assume. It's not like the guy publicly released Danny's actual, private email address.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    The (imo) purposeful trolling of their fans is reaching new, shittier heights. Because if it's not on purpose, then these guys, part. Adam, are just so fucking out of touch & living in la la land...

http://www.theprp.com/2017/11/07/news/tool-recorded-new-version-song-opiate/

Tool guitarist Adam Jones has made mention on his Instagram of a revised version of the title track to their 1992 EP “Opiate” which has been recorded, complete with an as-yet unreleased video. It is not clear when/if this revised version of the track, which the band have performed live, will surface however.Perhaps it could show up on the rumored vinyl back catalog release? Regardless, you can watch a clip of Jones working on that version of the song below, alongside which he offered:
    “~ We recorded a new version of Opiate not too long ago. We wrote a different break down that’s about five minutes longer in the middle of the song. I believe there are recent live versions of it online. @dominic_hailstone_ did an (unreleased) Ultimate Video for it. Anyway here’s a clip of me messing with sounds for the distant Synth Melody. *Enjoy #Tool #opiate ~”

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I don't believe they really care enough about what people think to put effort into trolling. Tool fans torture themselves and everyone else enough as is. The members of band don't even have to bother anymore. They enjoy performing live enough. That's pretty convenient when they keep selling out venues without a single new note of released matierial in 12 years. Their cult following is insane.

But there is a huge divide here. Adam Jones doesn't think like most career-oriented musicans. He isn't an entertainer. He has a true artist's mentality and as such he's a selfish prick by nature. That isn't a slight, that's just how a lot of real artists are wired. Adam, Danny and Justin get together, jam, write and make music for themselves. They have a shitload of tracks and demos from their vaults that will probably never see the light of day. Even worse, Adam is a perfectionist about every note to the point that deadlines or goals have little precedence on anything that would satisfy the demands of a release schedule. The idea here is that they don't HAVE to do shit.

Even Maynard has shown frustration and been vocal over the past few years about their slow and esoteric writing process. He is perhaps the only person in the band that fits the entertainer mold. Even if that is a stretch. If a new Tool album is ever completed, it won't be because their fans are due or dying for new music. I accepted that a long time ago and let it go.

I have been following this band for 25 years. But they are within a group of artists that can be terribly frustrating for fans that are incapable of losing expectations. I no longer expect anything. If I am wrong, well then great! A pleasant surprise for me. Otherwise, I'll check out one of their shows every few years now. Beyond that, fuck it.

Edit: A few words.
    Last edited by pulse; 11-09-2017 at 05:05 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    How long are they going to talk about this extended version of Opiate? Nothing against Tool, since they don't need to do anything... but, most musicians do this stuff on the fly. It's called improvisation. At this point I'm not sure how much I think their lack of output is due to being "perfectionists." Maybe they just aren't good at writing songs or they are lazy or they have run out of ideas or whatever. There are so many great bands that consistently release great music. Why is it such a problem for this band?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    There are so many great bands that consistently release great music. Why is it such a problem for this band?
    Clearly, I am not defending or endorsing Tool's hiatus and lack of releases the past twelve years, but while admitting the subjective nature of this topic, I will counter that very few "great" bands or artists consistently release great albums. I have my favorite artists, but the majority I consider great still release mediocre material. Adding to the fact Tool does conceptual releases digested as whole works, I can hardly imagine what they're trying to do is easy. The period of time that has passed has probably compounded their desire not to release something irrelevant.

I think Adam's problem, if you want to call it that, is both a combination of being obsessive-compulsive and a desire to make something better / evolved over their previous albums. That's the reason why I have lost expectation. I think the project may be too artistically ambitious for their own good. I don't know if we'll ever see it completed.

In the distant past, they were more productive because they had to eat and satisfy/fulfill contractual duties. Perhaps the stress of life and drive to be successful compelled them to flesh out their ideas faster. Perhaps that just doesn't matter to them anymore. Of course, they could be going through a lengthy metamorphosis and relearning music because all their old ideas no longer interest them. Or, yes, perhaps you are correct and they're just lazy.
    Last edited by pulse; 11-09-2017 at 08:10 AM.

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    i fucking love tool and have been listening to them for a quarter century. i had seen them 4 times by 99 i think?
    i DO wish they'd put out a new album, but as far as everyone being obsessive and angry over it, i don't participate in that.
    i just listen to the records they HAVE put out.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    http://rockontherange.com/lineup.html

First 2018 show announced for May 18-20 at Columbus, OH Rock on the Range, coincidentally also with APC appearing at this fest.

Another year with more live shows and no new album? Sweet.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    http://rockontherange.com/lineup.html

First 2018 show announced for May 18-20 at Columbus, OH Rock on the Range, coincidentally also with APC appearing at this fest.

Another year with more live shows and no new album? Sweet.
    According to the press kit on the band's site:

Quote Originally Posted by toolband.com
    “Following last year's amazing festival we knew we had to deliver. We have one of the only shows from Tool in 2018, a band the Rangers have been wanting for years and also having A PerfectCircle on the same festival is something special..." (From the Press kit.)

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    new album
    ^^^ LOL

Yeah, that ship has sailed. They can’t even “redo” a song that’s 1/4 century old in Opiate in a timely manner.

I love the music that Tool has given us and it’s still a great live show they put on. That being said we’ve been hearing about a new album since at least 2011. Fair to say it’s just never going to happen.

And im honestly fine with that. There’s bands that have been around for as long as they’ve been (and some a lot longer) that can’t churn out decent music. So be it.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    ^^^ LOL

Yeah, that ship has sailed. They can’t even “redo” a song that’s 1/4 century old in Opiate in a timely manner.

I love the music that Tool has given us and it’s still a great live show they put on. That being said we’ve been hearing about a new album since at least 2011. Fair to say it’s just never going to happen.

And im honestly fine with that. There’s bands that have been around for as long as they’ve been (and some a lot longer) that can’t churn out decent music. So be it.
    I still think got fucked by the digital sales portion of their contract and if they hadn’t they would have had things moving at some point. By now, though, who knows?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I'll take a stab at the setlist:

Stinkfist
    (-) Ions
    Jambi
    Forty Six & 2
    Schism
    New Jam
    The Pot
    Sober
    Pushit
    Lateralus
    Vicarious
    Ćnema

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Aenema should close every show as far as I’m concerned. Damn, that song is amazing live.

EDIT: and Jambi as the opener. Those guitars, drums, and lighting are the proper way to start a Tool show.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I'd only go see them live again if they finally put out new material or did a show focusing heavily on Undertow. I cannot be a diehard Trent fan & then stomach the constant insults to the fans that these assholes do. They can't coexist comfortably with me.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    I'd only go see them live again if they finally put out new material or did a show focusing heavily on Undertow. I cannot be a diehard Trent fan & then stomach the constant insults to the fans that these assholes do. They can't coexist comfortably with me.
    that's been my hope for 10+ years, it's never gonna happen (why?, who knows). Id be thrilled if they acknowledged one or two songs from it.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by center27j View Post
    that's been my hope for 10+ years, it's never gonna happen (why?, who knows)
    MJK can't sing most of the songs anymore night after night. Nearly every Undertow song has screaming or big yelly moments that'd destroy him now. Or I guess he could change them into melodic lines he can sing, but maybe he thinks it removes a vital part of the song. It kinda does.

I'm honestly surprised they don't do full-on instrumental stuff more now, like Merkaba, to give him a break.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    MJK can't sing most of the songs anymore night after night. Nearly every Undertow song has screaming or big yelly moments that'd destroy him now. Or I guess he could change them into melodic lines he can sing, but maybe he thinks it removes a vital part of the song. It kinda does.

I'm honestly surprised they don't do full-on instrumental stuff more now, like Merkaba, to give him a break.
    possibly...but the other night with APC his vocals were the best ive ever heard (yes, not as many screams as with Tool).

i'm not asking for the entire set to be undertow heavy, but how about an acknowledgment the album fucking exists.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    These dates are astounding and diappointing (according to setlist.fm):

Last played:

Sober - 2014
    Prison Sex - 2001
    Flood, Intolerance - 2011
    Swamp Song - 2007
    Undertow - 2002
    4 degrees - 2002
    Bottom, Crawl Away - 1998
    Disgustipated - 1994

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    For what it's worth, from a newpodcast interview with Danny...

My co-host Brandon talked to Justin Chancellor earlier this year. Justin made us feel like Tool would have a new album out in 2018. On a scale of 1-10, how much did Justin lie to us?
    Carey: “He did not lie to you. On scale of how much he lied, it would be zero. It’ll be out. It’ll be out in 2018.”

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'll believe it when I hold it in my cold, dead hands.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    For what it's worth, from a newpodcast interview with Danny...

My co-host Brandon talked to Justin Chancellor earlier this year. Justin made us feel like Tool would have a new album out in 2018. On a scale of 1-10, how much did Justin lie to us?
    Carey: “He did not lie to you. On scale of how much he lied, it would be zero. It’ll be out. It’ll be out in 2018.”
    I'll believe it when I see an album cover and tracklisting, but that IS very exciting! New albums by Ghost, A Perfect Circle, Prof (rapper), Tenacious D, Alice in Chains (probably), Weezer's Black album, the 3rd NIN EP, possibly/hopefully a new Smashing Pumpkins album from the original members... and MAYBE even the new Tool album FINALLY?! 2018 is going to be an amazing year for music...
    Last edited by sonic_discord; 12-08-2017 at 08:48 PM.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    I'll believe it when I see an album cover and tracklisting, but that IS very exciting! New albums by Ghost, A Perfect Circle, Prof (rapper), Tenacious D, Alice in Chains (probably), Weezer's Black album, the 3rd NIN EP, possibly/hopefully a new Smashing Pumpkins album from the original members... and MAYBE even the new Tool album FINALLY?! 2018 is going to be an amazing year for music...
    I sure hope so. After the insane year that was 2017, I was worried 2018 was going to be a lackluster year. But if there are new records from APC, Tool, Ghost and NIN then it will be epic.

2017 had Rancid, Foo fighters, Manson, KMFDM, NIN... I thought this year was amazing.

Only thing that'll make it sweeter is if Rammstein drop an album as well, almost 10 years since the last one!!! What's with this trend of waiting 10 years or more between releases guys!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Yea I seriously doubt this is happening. 2019 at the earliest. If it's really coming out this year that would mean all of the instrumentals are written and Maynard has lyrics and melodies for each. They have yet to record a single note and I'm imagining they are also "perfectionist" in the studio based on their history so... I would love to be wrong. Plus the APC machine is up and running so we probably have to wait for that to end until recording can begin. I'm not going to hype myself up too much but having both APC and Tool albums in 2018 would be kinda nuts.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    This band and their album talks have devolved into a joke. I'm not interested or even curious until they actually put something out.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Yeah, I'm not holding my breath for a 2018 release. Maynard is fully booked at every festival imaginable for APC next year. Plus with the so-called release of the new APC, he still needs to lay down the vocals in the studio with them.

They said that rock on the range appearance is like their one and only appearance for 2018 or something as well. I'm guessing once summer festival season is over, Maynard will probably enter the stuido to record the tool vocals, then mastering and all that behind the scene jazz involved with putting together a record will probably take them into late fall 2018, and releasing a record at the end of the year is usually a bad move. So I say a spring 2019 release at the earliest.