Quote Originally Posted by eachpassingphase View Post
I've been listening to HTDA a lot lately, and it suddenly clicked with me just how much I liked a lot of the lyrics. They aren't perfect, but there are a lot of lines that are just SO satisfying. It feels less like the journal-style stuff Trent does and more like...I dunno. World building? I'm not really sure how else to explain it. Like the words are creating an abstract picture in your head to accompany the music. They feel more conceptual than confessional. The feel of the lyrics reminds me a bit of some Mars Volta songs in that "I honestly have no fucking idea what this is about, but dang it, the words SOUND cool together" sort of way. I really dig it.

I feel like I read somewhere that Mariqueen wrote them, but I can't remember for sure now. It doesn't feel like Trent's style at all, and if that's the case then I'd love to see her do more writing because I think she's got a lot of talent and I would like to see what her writing looks like now after a few years removed from HTDA's last release. Maybe if she didn't want to do another round of HTDA she would be willing to do a book of poetry or something? I'd be interested in it for sure.
from what i remember, you are correct that Mariqueen was (is?) the main lyricist for HTDA. definitely a big reason why i think HTDA stands separate from NIN (in a good way) and why i really wish they'd do another album.