Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Phil Anselmo

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    Was driving through the desert earlier this year, blasting the NOLA album. 'Lifer' still melts my face off.
    Lifer and Eyes of the South are incredible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    dime gave me the finger at a pantara concert in the 90s and phil told me he loved me at a down concert two years ago...haha just two random memories this topic brought up

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    That whole album is a burner. Even that instrumental song on there is fantastic. Some of my favorite past times are getting stoned and cruising through desert terrain with Down's albums playing. Pantera were never really my thing, but his stuff with Down is just something else altogether.
    Haha sounds like fun.

I enjoy both bands. I do however really enjoy the dirtiness and dark sounds that Down produces. It seems more raw and angry, even if none of the topics in the songs really focus on it. The music videos have always been gritty as well, case in point:

The 90's metal scene in Louisiana must have been so awesome to be in. I love all the sludge, doom and heavy music those bands made. Down, Crowbar, Eyehategod, etc.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    my footage from a louisville ky show

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Dropping an Autobiography Soon

Going to have to definitely get that, for sure.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I'll be checking that out as well.

Down's music is just so fucking addicting to me. Down II is the only other album I've been playing since Hesitation Marks dropped. I know their second record routinely gets the "unfocused sophomore slump" treatment, but the album gives up some terrific music if you spend enough time with it. Ghosts Along the Mississippi, Learn From My Mistake and Beautifully Depressed form one hell of a triptych song suite, and the closing track is just downright majestic.

I realize I am totally going all Phil Anselmo fanboy here, but holy fuck if his words in his different bands haven't pulled me through some dark times over the years. So glad to see some love for TGSTK in this thread, too. FBD was a monster but Trendkill was some otherworldly shit entirely. It's just divine, from its opening chords to its closing moments. Between that album and NOLA, he was on top of his game and on top of everyone else's game as well.

That's it. Thanks for reading.
    As far as all metal music goes, I find Phil the best and my favorite vocalist out of any band. The guy plays guitar, drums and can sing from any range - from gutteral vocals (TGSTK), high shrieks, punk-like speeds (Superjoint) and symphonic levels (Cemetery Gates). He's a talented musician for sure. I love just about every side project and band he's done. He might have been an asshole junkie at some points but he's always been a productive musician regardless. You can't say that about too many people.

The Great Southern Trendkill is my favorite Pantera album as it is radically the most different. It came out when nu-metal was the thing and it kinda dropped at an awkward time for the band and out of nowhere. Has some great songs like Suicide Note (both parts), 10's, the title track, Floods and Sandblasted Skin.

Down II was the first album I bought by the band and it has some great cuts. My favorite is New Orleans is a Dying Whore, followed closely by Lysergik Funeral Procession. Every Down album is great to me though.

Feel free to ramble and sound like a fanboy, I'm right there with you willingly able to join in on conversation.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Space, you are my best friend lol.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    You are dead on about him being the best metal vocalist. Is anyone on here going to the Housecore Horror Festival in October? I got VIP tickets in February and can't wait! I missed Phil and the Illegals on their first tour and can't wait to see them there!

P.S. How do I post pictures on here?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    Space, you are my best friend lol.
    ORLY?

Big fan too eh?

Quote Originally Posted by SIR.LONDONCLEANLILY View Post
    You are dead on about him being the best metal vocalist. Is anyone on here going to the Housecore Horror Festival in October? I got VIP tickets in February and can't wait! I missed Phil and the Illegals on their first tour and can't wait to see them there!

P.S. How do I post pictures on here?
    That sounds cool. I had the Housecore compilation album and he has some unique, cool bands signed to the label. A Fetival would be neat.

[img] url [/img] tags to post photos. make sure there's no spaces.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    It is not just bands on his album, there are a ton of other bands (Gwar, Pig Destroyer, Eye Hate God, FUCKING GOBLIN and a lot more). It is also a film festival and will be playing old and new horror movies. It is going down in Austin, TX. Check it out on their website http://housecorehorrorfilmfestival.com/ I bought VIP tickets in February but you can still get combo badges or 1 day passes.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I like how the new track starts how the album ended. Pretty cool continuity. Housecore Horror Fest starts tomorrow!!! The wait is finally over! Who is going??

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    One day I hope to, maybe I should plan for next year. Haven't done anything really for Halloween type stuff in years.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Cooking Hostile Episode one!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneSax View Post
    Cooking Hostile Episode one!

I seen that on Facebook this morning. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Hope there's more. I'm sure since it's labeled Episode One.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I proposed to my girl before the Down set at The Housecore Horror Film Festival in Austin 2 weekends ago. Here is a picture we got taken with Phil and signed the next day plus a video of the proposal. It was kinda rushed because they were running behind (I didn't get to say my speech and we got kicked off stage before we could even kiss!)but it was still badass!

Here is a crappy cell phone video, I am waiting for the people at Housecore to send me the HD version:

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Phil Anselmo

That's pretty awesome dude. Congrats.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Nice!

I haven't dug up the Down thread but the second EP for Down IV is completed!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    That is probably the weakest of the Cooking Hostile videos. Oh well, still decent. I can't wait to see Phil and the Illegals on the 28th in Dallas. Its the last night of the tour so it should be badass! As far as Down goes the new guitarist was a badass at the Housecore Horror Film Festival and I can't wait to hear him on the new record!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SIR.LONDONCLEANLILY View Post
    That is probably the weakest of the Cooking Hostile videos. Oh well, still decent. I can't wait to see Phil and the Illegals on the 28th in Dallas. Its the last night of the tour so it should be badass! As far as Down goes the new guitarist was a badass at the Housecore Horror Film Festival and I can't wait to hear him on the new record!
    I loved the Cemetery Gates portion. The only thing that made the video weak was the amount of time highlighted for the Slayer portion, which was easily at least half if not more of the entire video.

The new guitarist is good but I still miss Kirk.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Episode 3 is out!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Phil's looking better...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Anyone want an ultra rare signed copy of Phil and the Illegals first album? This is the black and red splatter version that is limited to 300 copies. I hate to part with this but I still have 2 others! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=171362139219

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I seen it earlier and was gonna post but didn't want to resurrect the thread. Nice going.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    at first I thought to myself, damn his Phil impersonation is really improving! Only to read at the end that it was really Phil!

awesome of Phil to take time off to do it
    Last edited by LaneSax; 08-19-2014 at 12:59 AM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)